The Perfect Storm

by   |   16/10/2019  14 Comments  [Jump to last]

Can you hear it?

No… neither can I. And you know why we can’t hear anything? It’s because, when you are in the eye of the storm, it’s eerily quiet.

• Zouma doesn’t sign.
• Gueye leaves.
• We don’t sign a proven goalscorer.
• We don’t sign a replacement centre-back in the absence of Zouma.
• Sigurðsson's goal drought.
• Richarlison's goal drought.
• Set-piece fragility returns.
• Gbamin is out for the rest of the season.
• Gbamin's loss (having played 3 iffy games) is seen as a disaster.
• Delph is injury-prone.
• Keane suffers a loss of confidence.
• Kean is an unproven kid in new league.
• Silva never making a sub before 60th minute.
• Silva fixated with 4-3-2-1.
• Silva fixated with zonal marking.
• Silva picking players on reputation not form.
• Squandered arguably the easiest opening fixtures we’ve ever had.
• 8 games played, 6 goals scored, 13 conceded, bottom 3.
• Played only 1 of the “Sky 6”.
• 8 games, one decent performance versus Wolves, one average versus City, six other dismal performances.
• And Liverpool walking away with the title.

Still… it’s too early to panic, isn’t it?

Please, anyone?

ANYONE?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (14)

Dick Fearon
1 Posted 16/10/2019 at 22:45:58
In the midst of Moyes knife to a gun fight period some on here were castigated for daring to suggest that relegation might be in the clubs long term best interest. With typical evertonian over confidence I dreamed that brilliant success was just around the corner and rejected all such ideas.
I have now recognised that in those bleak days it was probably the best time for a complete top to bottom purging of boardroom, players and coaching staff. Since then the club has accumulated a growing list of dead wood in all those departments that as sure as hell are undermining our hopes of a new dawn.
Moaning about the aftermath of Heysal, Kings Dock, The RS Pact with the Devil, the Hamper man, the Kirkby fiasco etc etc serve to drag us down and should be well and truly buried.
Most of todays fans have never seen that 'Istry' so often sung about and the way things are heading.
Football in general has made great strides and we are barely hanging on to our place. Relegation at this time could possibly be our death knell.
Moshri and BMD are our last life line.
Rory Grant
2 Posted 17/10/2019 at 09:31:07
Good text Dave. Relegation is a possibility, doesn't require too much imagination to see it happen this season. The danger always that we will not get back, very real danger that too. Especially with the competence the club is oozing at the moment.

Gbamin out for operation and possibly rest of the season, after being allowed back into training. Did this injury happen with us or went undetected in the medical?
Sidibe, a French national team player, possibly going to Ac Milan. After getting no playtime with Coleman going downhill since the injury. So we ended up paying Sidibe's salary for nothing? And soon desperately looking for a new full-back.
Silva given match-by-match extension to prove his mettle. After taking us into relegation-zone? Seriously?

Don't know anymore what to think and how to muster any confidence that things will be sorted out. Sad.

Dave Lynch
3 Posted 17/10/2019 at 23:33:12
It's not only been the easiest start to a season for years but also the easiest last 3 games for years as well.

Just think... If we had got off to the expected flier and maintained some sort of stability, then we could have actually pushed for a decent Euro spot in the last 3 matches.

On the other hand... We may need them to hold onto our Premier League status.

Andy Crooks
4 Posted 18/10/2019 at 00:36:18
I don't believe we will be relegated. However, we are in the bottom three after a very, very soft run of opening games. That suggests, that my logic is flawed and that the bookies who are offering 11/1 on us going down also share my view.

I don't bet on Everton anymore, but if any team who finished last season outside the top six were in our position now, I would have a decent bet at 11/1.

My belief that we will not go down is based solely on the belief that Moshiri cannot allow it, that he will react quickly enough to remove Silva. What scares me is that we are not unlucky, we are really poor. Silva has what it takes to relegate us.

Don Alexander
5 Posted 18/10/2019 at 00:51:08
If Silva was the be-all and end-all of our problems, it'd be quite easy to fix them. But he isn't, is he?

There's a canker right at the centre of our club, hiding in plain sight as he does, and until it's removed we're treading water, at best.

Dan Parker
6 Posted 18/10/2019 at 01:16:52
It's not going to ever happen but, for what it's worth, I'd go with this:

Calvert-Lewin Kean
Bernard Davies Sigurdsson Richarlison
Digne Mina Holgate Coleman
Pickford

Derek Thomas
7 Posted 18/10/2019 at 01:37:04
What happens if – West Ham not being too hot either – Silva changes nothing... or not much and we still win... it's 3 pts after all, that's his rumoured target.

How many more 'one game at a time' will he get.

I've got a trestle table and some wallpaper and paste at the ready, because as we know, we're too good, too big to go down.

Moshiri is standing in a money pit with footballing (paper?) tiger by the tail, he can't let go of one to climb out of the other.

Literally and figuratively, it Bramley-Moore Dock (or Speke or Maghull, depending on your ITK) or Bust for both him and us.

He has to get BOTH right, because. There's no way he can get the required level of funding for a Bramley-Moore Dock Championship stadium. Nor will he will find it easy to sell us on with a Championship team.

Dan Parker
8 Posted 18/10/2019 at 01:55:52
Derek, it’s all hypothetical. They’ll beat us and will be in even more shit. Haven’t hit bottom yet.
Derek Thomas
9 Posted 18/10/2019 at 03:12:47
Dan, I wish I had your optimism(?), I'd be down the bookies and risk a tenner... on West Ham @ 11/4. I haven't learned much over the years, except, with the County Road Casuals, you never can tell.
Darren Hind
10 Posted 18/10/2019 at 04:37:26
Just reading about Patrick Day. The wonderful images of this super Athlete training in Chicago prior to the fight. The tragic unforeseen outcome. The tributes. The grieving family. The sense of utter despair expressed by his opponent Charles Conwell.

Sorry to get all heavy, Dave. I was going to post in agreement of you OP yesterday, but didn't get around to it. Perspective eh ?

Now, Having read about this young man, your list suddenly looks... Insignificant.

What looked liked a series of catastrophic events to me yesterday, looks like a few minor set backs today. Everton FC will recover of course - Although maybe not to the degree we would all like to imagine.

Alan J Thompson
11 Posted 18/10/2019 at 04:37:29
I'm sorry but I just don't understand how anyone can believe that getting relegated will lead to a resurrection to contention for major honours. All I can see is players wanting to leave, others having to be let go to reduce the wage bill owing to a downturn in income and the likelihood that it may take years to get promoted or the downward spiral might continue.

If it takes Mr Moshiri to give both Kenwright and Silva their cards in order to sort out the Boardroom and the team, then the sooner the better... but whatever – it takes needs to start in the next month.

Ash Moore
12 Posted 18/10/2019 at 04:54:56
@ Dick Fearon #1,

"Most of today's fans have never seen that 'istry' so often sung about..."

To be honest, judging from TW and even looking at the matchday crowd, most of the fans today HAVE actually seen the history... and that's the problem. I saw Steve Ferns referred to on a thread the other day as a "nice young man". I'm not contesting the nice part, but young? Steve is 41 or 42.

At 38, with a wife mortgage and son, I'd guess I'd be one of the youngest posters here. My 12-year-old would rather face the dentist than suffer 90 minutes watching Everton. Don't worry about relegation, Dick, it's irrelevancy that surely beckons. There's really not much of a generation waiting for the poisoned chalice of being a Toffee to be passed to them. With the shite seemingly storming inexorably to the title, I fear the nails are being hammered into the coffin of Everton as I write. Remember, the body has to be prepared before you can have the funeral.

@ Andy Crooks

I watched France huff and puff against the USA in a warm-up to the last World Cup. I immediately slung a tenner on them at 15-1 as I thought they couldn't play any worse and they'd done it at the right time – before the tournament proper.

The key to gambling for a profit is identifying where the bookies have got the probability wrong, putting your money down and hoping your ship comes in. Based on what you've seen, do you really think there's a 10 percent chance of us going down? Our squad, manager, number of points accumulated and whom we have to face?

John Keating
13 Posted 27/10/2019 at 21:25:21
Last season I said we should give Silva 10 games into this season before making any final judgement on him.
Obviously at that time we didn't know the league programme.

Prior to the season starting and after seeing the programme I, like many, thought we had a great chance to get points on the board and confidence high.

So now we are 10 games in.

Unfortunately I see no appreciable improvement in play, tactics or results. In fact it could be argued we have regressed.

Many have made the usual excuses about injuries, well every team has them. Bad luck, well ask supporters of most team they'll say the same. Bad decisions, well again most teams will say the same.
Sorry there can be no excuses

I have no doubt Silva is a good man but unfortunately it's not working for him.
His tactics, team selections, substitutions have been discussed and dissected.

The question for me is, has there been any appreciable improvement since he has been here?
To me there hasn't.
In my opinion, unfortunately, he has to go, sooner rather than later before the damage becomes irreperable.

Tom Bowers
14 Posted 27/10/2019 at 21:30:30
It's all gone pear-shaped for Silva and still no action from Moshiri.
What is he waiting for, Pep to become available?
It ain't gonna happen for Silva. End of story.