Is Jack Rodwell worth a punt?

by   |   05/11/2019  29 Comments  [Jump to last]

Jack Rodwell is gainfully unemployed but good enough to have trials at Roma and Parma. He's a bluenose who can play central midfield and centre-half.

Okay, his record post-Everton is poor but, as a utility man on a 9-month deal to tide us over? We could do worse. He is no stranger to the Premier League or the club.

Brands hates January shopping and I doubt we will spend big money knowing the injury crisis will pass.

So... is Jack Rodwell worth a punt?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (29)

Steve Ferns
1 Posted 07/11/2019 at 19:15:20
I liked Jack, I understood his departure to be good for all concerned. We got a good price for a boy who was struggling with niggling injuries. prior to this, Jack looked a real prospect. What a goal that was against Man United.

I saw him play a few times for Sunderland. He looked like an imposter. I don't know what happened to the lad but he looks a shadow of the boy he once was. He went to Blackburn last season but was released in the summer. He was then given a look by Roma and they passed on him.

I suppose there is no harm in giving him a trial to see if he can cope with our level. But I think the ship has passed for Rodwell.

Brian Williams
2 Posted 07/11/2019 at 19:24:35
Dave Abrahams
3 Posted 07/11/2019 at 21:11:27
Kieran, I think a centre back is an essential signing in January, that is just for starters, we are in big trouble and I hope those in charge realise that.
Peter Mills
4 Posted 07/11/2019 at 21:35:16
Kieran, I defended Jack a lot, I thought he could become a very good player. He didn’t. To paraphrase what a sage once said on here, too much Birkdale, not enough Kirkdale. But I’m sure he became very wealthy.

I don’t know what the exchange rate with Ireland is now for it’s former currency, but I suspect a punt is about what he is worth.

Kieran Kinsella
5 Posted 07/11/2019 at 21:37:29
Hahaha Peter nice one. This is a suggestion based on being very very pragmatic mind
David Thomas
6 Posted 08/11/2019 at 14:21:33
Ha ha, this has got to be a wind-up. We would become the ultimate laughing stock of football if this ever happened.
Dave Abrahams
7 Posted 08/11/2019 at 14:28:27
Jose Baxter left Everton in the summer after working with EitC. I don't think he has been replaced, maybe there is an opening there for Jack, you know, work his way up.
Ste Traverse
8 Posted 08/11/2019 at 19:45:54
Worst thread in the 10 years I've been posting on ToffeeWeb.

If Jack Rodwell is one of the answers to our many problems, then we are in even deeper trouble than I thought.

Daniel A Johnson
9 Posted 08/11/2019 at 19:54:22
Jesus Kieran I’ve just spent 5mins clearing the tea I spat out off my monitor.

Hell no.

Bad attitude and yet another player whose career went south after leaving Everton.

We’ve got to kick this Everton sentimentality into touch. This club isn’t a haven for ex blues who don’t cut it anymore.

Fuck Jack Rodwell he had his chance.

Whatever the question is the answer will never be Jack Rodwell!

Mike Gaynes
10 Posted 08/11/2019 at 20:10:30
We already punted Rodwell -- 7 years ago to City.

He was subsequently punted on to Sunderland and Blackburn. He was worth every one.

And Kieran, no, we could not possibly do worse.

I'd rather have VDM out of retirement. At least he'd support the local economy.

Darren Hind
11 Posted 08/11/2019 at 20:33:05
One of those mysteries is our Jack.

At times he could be majestic. That little stop start which took him down the flank to set up Arteta at the Etihad. The wonderful solo Effort when he carried the ball from his own half against Man U then brought the house down by burying it.

I came out of the Etihad that night convinced we had a superstar. He seemed to have nearly everything. Turns out he didnt quite have anything.

If he comes back it will knock Roberto Durans comeback against Davey Moore into the ordinary. Its not going to happen

Tony Hill
13 Posted 08/11/2019 at 20:44:14
A mystery indeed, Darren, and a sadness. Sometimes (perhaps often) serious talent just goes unfulfilled, doesn't it, while lesser talent flourishes. Missed moments, wrong turnings and so on. No single reason to be found.
Paul Tran
16 Posted 08/11/2019 at 20:59:44
Rodwell was/is a talented young player, but that's not enough. It's the right mix of attitude, mindset and resilience that makes the difference. Hard to watch when you think of what they could have been.
Tony Hill
17 Posted 08/11/2019 at 21:01:00
Yes, I think so, Paul, so much is in the mind.
Simon Dalzell
18 Posted 09/11/2019 at 01:43:43
Yes, he is !!!!!! Oh no, sorry. It says 'punt'.
Robin White
19 Posted 09/11/2019 at 09:05:31
At his peak he was mom for England v Spain, I don't know what happened to him after that. Too much to soon.
Chris Gordon
20 Posted 09/11/2019 at 14:43:31
Talent is nothing without application, and Rodwell has zero application. NEVER in a million years should this happen
Alan J Thompson
21 Posted 09/11/2019 at 16:24:52
I hope the lad finds a club but I don't think it should be Everton and I'm not really sure where we would play him.
Tony Everan
22 Posted 09/11/2019 at 17:01:39
erm..
Kevin Dyer
23 Posted 09/11/2019 at 17:12:53
Ah, Rodwell. Man City and England Captain. World-class. 100+ caps for England. This was, however in Football Manager 2010.

Obviously he's had injury problems but not quite sure why he faltered so badly. He claimed he was fit at City, but didn't play. It seemed a bit odd at the time. His subsequent career shows he was nowhere near good enough but his decline has still been genuinely startling.

Looks like his early career rep got him trials in Italy. That they passed on him tells us all we need to know.

Kevin Dyer
24 Posted 09/11/2019 at 17:17:28
Darren #11 watched that fight as a teen in a boozer in town. What a fight, Duran at Madison Square Garden roared on by massive Latino support against a hometown fighter, in Moore!
Jeff Spiers
25 Posted 09/11/2019 at 18:51:58
Joe McMahon
26 Posted 09/11/2019 at 18:55:22
Seriously, another Moyes Sunderland reject!
Anthony Newell
27 Posted 09/11/2019 at 19:15:06
@mike gaynes

your last sentence was worth the entrance fee alone

Mike Gaynes
28 Posted 09/11/2019 at 19:22:34
Darren #11, I remember both that brilliant goal against ManUtd and that sensational fight. I'd pick the goal as better. Thought we had a genius on our hands.

Anthony #27, thanks but I'd demand a refund if I were you!

John Raftery
29 Posted 09/11/2019 at 21:27:01
Amazing to think he once played for England! Against Sporting in 2010 it was Jack’s pass which put Distin in trouble and led directly to the concession of a penalty and a vital away goal for the Portuguese team. After that Moyes rarely trusted him as a central defensive midfielder and despite the occasional moments of inspiration further up the field he was unable to maintain consistency partly because of his fitness issues. One of those nearly men, of whom we have had more than our fair share over the years.
Peter Gorman
30 Posted 10/11/2019 at 12:05:27
Link

The new Scholes

Dave Abrahams
31 Posted 13/11/2019 at 13:23:52
Alan Stubbs suggested to Jack he should stay behind after training to practice and train a bit more. Jack declined, didn’t think he needed to.

Alan Ball and Kevin Keegan didn’t have natural talent, but they trained and practiced non stop to become the great footballers that they were, practice makes perfect, or at least better.

Darren if Jack had a small percentage of the heart and bottle Roberto Duran had, he’d have become that great player you thought he was.

Don’t mention the Sugar Ray Leonard fight, Roberto wouldn’t be Sugar Ray’s stooge that night.!!

Phil Lewis
32 Posted 14/11/2019 at 12:41:39
Hard to fathom Rodwell's decline. I had him earmarked for a future England Captain. I still believe he has the football brain, such a pity that he never possessed the heart and soul to match. All three ingredients essential to becoming a great player.