The Forgotten Kieran Dowell

by   |   10/11/2019  49 Comments  [Jump to last]

Irrespective whether you see Kieran Dowell as a long-term project at Everton, I am becoming increasingly alarmed at his lack of game time at Derby County. I checked his stats, currently standing at 7 appearances, of which 6 were in August!

Checking recently, Derby are using him as a non-participating substitute and it's not that Derby are tearing up the Championship. Has Philip Cocu decided that he is not his sort of player? He does not appear to be suffering from injuries.

So why is he there? Especially with demand for his loan services in the summer window. If he is not playing, get him back and make a decision on what he needs to be doing. Bench-warming is no good for this young lad!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (49)

Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
1 Posted 10/11/2019 at 18:36:51
It seems the basic answer is he is not putting in the effort. Simple as.

If the lad is on here - then sorry but that is what I see in the reports.

Clive Rogers
2 Posted 10/11/2019 at 21:31:31
At his age he needs to be playing at the highest level possible. He should be recalled and loaned out somewhere else.
David Pearl
3 Posted 10/11/2019 at 21:43:05
Trevor,

l also noticed he wasn’t playing that much. Shame really, you’d think he was ideal for Cocu.

He might of actually got a game here with Bernard out. Barkley didn’t play much for Leeds before he returned if l remember correctly. He’s not a youngster anymore and needs to play. Can he be recalled in January? He might get back in the team by then. If not he needs to move on. I thought it a bit strange that Sheffield Utd didn’t take him back.

Tony Hill
4 Posted 10/11/2019 at 21:44:55
A gifted young man who looked set for fine things when he was on loan at Notts Forest. I thought he was going to be a top player.

We have been talking about Jack Rodwell and what has ailed him. The same applies to Dowell: something amiss, possibly in his mentality.

I hope that he might yet fulfil himself.

Paul Birmingham
5 Posted 10/11/2019 at 21:45:33
If loan players aren’t getting playing time, I’m sure the parent club has the right to terminate the loan recall the player.

I’m sure that’s what we done with Brendan Galloway, during one of his loans, but I could be wrong., but I’m sure, such a stint at WBA, Pullis, took the mick, big style.

Don Alexander
6 Posted 10/11/2019 at 22:15:01
Dowell is becoming just a.n.other gifted-as-a-kid/lacking-as-a-man footballer to me. He's had chance after chance but is unable to stake a claim for selection, season-long, anywhere he's been. Even at Forest his season tailed off into warming the bench if he was lucky, and this season they don't seem to be missing him at all. I suggest when it comes to assessing what a proper midfielder requires Cocu is way more forensic than anyone masquerading as a coach at FF whilst Keiran "was coming through" but nobody at all has evidently been able to explain to him that for all the Pirlo-like flashes, and flashes they are, you need grit, physical strength and consistency to play in the Premier League.

Ironically John Lundstram at Sheff Utd has played well this season but he's closing in on his 26th birthday years after leaving us to make a career in lower-league football, but with the best will in the world Dowell cannot expect to stay with us given he's now 22.

Andrew Keatley
7 Posted 10/11/2019 at 22:32:04
Dowell is a gifted footballer, blessed with a great left foot, good vision, a decent passing range and a howitzer of a shot. I think he lacks the pace and guile to play wide, and always seems to defend with a lack of tenacity and spirit emblematic of someone who just doesn’t seem to enjoy that part of the game. I think with a bit of instruction he could do well as a deep-lying midfielder - he was playing there for England Under 21 last year - but more the Carrick-type than the Gana-type.
Paul Birmingham
8 Posted 10/11/2019 at 22:36:39
Don, I agree and if Kieran was doing the business consistently, he’d be in the first team squad.

At his age and like Matty Foulds whom, I’ve watched regularly in the U23s the best part of nearly 4 years, I’d say, Matty has more chance of etching a professional full time career than Kieran, because he has a good engine and works hard.

Everton as his parent club, and still their player, must look after him now, and prepare him for the after life, beyond EFC.

Scary but of the same group, Liam Walsh, whom, I thought was a very good player, went to Bristol City in 01/2018, but I’ve barely heard a word, since and he’s now at Coventry on loan.

It shows, that all the early promise, professional contracts, doesn’t guarantee anything, in life and football.

Nicholas Ryan
9 Posted 10/11/2019 at 23:22:02
David [3] … My friend is a season ticket holder at Sheffield United; he said, that he and the rest of the fans wanted, and expected Kieran Dowell to return, and were both surprised and mystified, when he didn't.
David Pearl
10 Posted 10/11/2019 at 23:33:07
Nicholas,
Yes you’d have to think it was Sheffield Utd that didn’t want him. Even though he’d be relatively cheap. They took Besic instead... Surely he wouldn’t turn down a premier league team.
Alan J Thompson
12 Posted 11/11/2019 at 01:46:03
If he has been loaned out several times and not made it then may be the problem lies with the club. If we can't coach the necessary skills and attitude into him then perhaps the problem lies with the coaching staff and management in that if he can't be improved why hasn't he been moved on more permanently. Indeed, why haven't we seen more youngsters than Davies (and some we bought from other clubs - Holgate, Stones & Galloway) come through our title winning juniors given a shot with the first team. It's even got to the stage that we buy junior players like Virginia from other clubs and them send them out on loan, to do what, learn from arguably lesser coaches at lower league clubs.
Jim Bennings
13 Posted 11/11/2019 at 08:25:48
Sheffield United aren’t exactly missing him are they?

Maybe the proof is in the pudding there as they say.

Wilder likes a team that works it’s socks off and from every report I read on Dowell apparently he’s a bit of a lazy arse.

Either that or he’s just not good enough for top level football, it happens, we need to stop harping on about players that probably will never make the grade here.

He’s probably just another Tony Grant, some talent but attitude wise just not good enough.

Ray Roche
14 Posted 11/11/2019 at 09:17:06
Alan @12
You can coach most things “into” players but if they lack “heart” and desire then you’re trying to juggle jelly. We’ve all seen lads at different levels with masses of talent but no heart for a fight and they’re the first off the training ground and into the showers. When I have watched Dowell he’s been a peripheral figure offering the occasional flash of brilliance before disappearing. Sending him out to toughen up doesn’t seem to be working but he’s never looked, IMHO, to have enough bottle to go with his undoubted talent. Not necessarily the fault of any FF coaches.
Alan J Thompson
15 Posted 11/11/2019 at 14:21:30
Ray(#14); More than likely, Ray, but I do wonder if anyone has taken him to one side and told him what he needs to do to make it and if so why is he still here at what 21/22 years of age. Being a professional footballer doesn't automatically qualify you for the knockout stages of Brain of Britain but how many different coaches and clubs, and junior international level, does it take for the message to get through on both sides, ie, player and club.
Perhaps I'm the impatient one.
Ray Roche
16 Posted 11/11/2019 at 15:38:45
Alan, I think you’ve answered your own question. Dowell has been on loan with Forest, Sheffield United and Derby as well as having the benefit of several managers here, yet none of them see fit to give him a regular slot in the team. It’s Dowell who needs to let the message sink in. They can’t all be wrong.
Tony Everan
17 Posted 11/11/2019 at 15:53:19
From what I have seen with his loan teams he is considered more of an accessory than a necessity. A bit passive and drifts out of games, not influential enough. In any team and especially the Championship not many teams can afford to start such a player.

He will need to step it up soon and prove himself for Derby like Leon did years ago. I have not given up on him just yet.

James Flynn
18 Posted 11/11/2019 at 17:06:33
For what it's worth:

Dowell - Dowell is a gifted footballer, blessed with a great left foot, good vision, a decent passing range and a howitzer of a shot.
- Keatley (2019)

Bilyaletdinov - "He's a tall, athletic player with good ball control and an eye for a pass and a lethal left foot when he is in the mood."
- Lloyd and Kenrick (2012)

Sometimes players have some definite big league skill, just not everything required to be a big league player.

Whatever some Sheffield United supporters feel about Dowell, their title winning run last season went down to the wire; during which Wilder left a healthy Kieran on the bench.

Having watched how Wilder sets his teams up to play this season; well-organized, aggressive in defense and attack for all 90 minutes, I accept he knows what he's looking at in a player and he didn't see it in Dowell.

Young Kieran should make a nice little living kicking a ball. And we should be able to get a neat little profit on his sale and wish him luck.

Drew O'Neall
19 Posted 11/11/2019 at 17:18:14
13 Jim

They don’t say that. They say the proof of the pudding is in the eating, which doesn’t apply.

Mike Gaynes
20 Posted 11/11/2019 at 17:39:04
James #18, great post. How the heck did you find that old quote about Bilyaletdinov?

By the way, I looked him up not long ago, just out of curiosity. He's now with a club in Lithuania.

Gavin Johnson
21 Posted 11/11/2019 at 18:08:20
I remember I was really pushing for us to sign James Maddison on TW when we were linked with him before his move to Leicester and a few other posters felt that Dowell was of similar ability after his spell at Forest. It seems laughable now given Maddison's ascendency to become of the premier leagues best young attacking midfielders. It's a stark contrast from where Dowell's career is heading, but there really wasn't that much between them 18 months ago.

I think the bottom line with Dowell is that he has ability in spades. He even has physicality. He's quite tall and broad. Yet, he doesn't use it. He still drifts out of games and is now drifting towards a career playing in Division One. After having high hopes for him, his career seems to be mirroring that of Luke Garbutt, in not being able to make it at a Championship club. Unlike Garbutt he isn't tied to long contract. Isn't he out of contract this summer?

Jay Harris
22 Posted 11/11/2019 at 18:47:37
Agree with Ray Roche,
The lad hasnt got the desire to put himself out consistently.

I played with a lad when I was younger that had all the talent in the world to go right to the top but he used to turn up late for games and training and stroll through games.

Needless to say his ability far exceeded his ambition and I feel Dowell is the same.

Dick Fearon
23 Posted 11/11/2019 at 21:22:57
Jay @ 22, You could well have been speaking about a young bloke of my aquaintance many years ago. This lad played for Liverpool school boys then Everton youth. Sadly he went the same way as the one you mentioned. His skill set was much admired and Catterick personally tried to get him to mend his ways.

Hoping a change of environment and a different circle of friends might get him to see the light Stan Cullis manager of first division of Wolves signed him but he quickly fell back into bad habits. After Wolves he was snapped up by Bolton, also a first division side, but once again and for the same reasons it fell through.

It goes to show that talent without self-discipline is not enough.

In Kierans case we can only hope another good and well-thought-of prospect comes good.

Jerome Shields
25 Posted 11/11/2019 at 22:18:45
Chris Colman complained about the lack of contact that the player that was loaned out to the team he was managing, had from Everton. It seems that young players are loaned out to reduce the wages bill and forgotten about.
Andrew James
26 Posted 11/11/2019 at 22:25:20
Ah Bilyaletdinov...one of DM's more flamboyant signings.

I remember seeing one of his earlier games, think it was in Europe, and he had a wand of a left foot. I even thought, with a back four of Hibbert/Coleman-Distin-Jags-Baines and a midfield of Fellaini-Osman-Pienaar-Arteta along with Yakubu to return next to Cahill up top that he was the missing piece of the jigsaw once all the injuries cleared up.

We've had some wonderful players down the left over the years: Limpar, Pienaar, Sheedy, Hinchcliffe and now Bernard. Sad to say Bily didn't push on from a decent first season with us.

On to Dowell, he's at a crucial age for a midfielder now. Ross Barkley was scoring screamers away at Swansea when younger and Tom Davies has been making the first team for 3 years and is younger.

Someone needs to have a word, he needs to get in the gym and on the running track and increase his intensity. When players do that, they often find their natural skill and talent will allow them to exploit the chances that they drive towards.

It would be sad to see him not fulfil his potential.

Kieran Kinsella
27 Posted 11/11/2019 at 22:43:21
At forest and at Sheffield he started well then the goals and assists dried up, he was benched, then used less and less. Did defenders get wise to him? Did the early praise go to his head and cause him to slack off? I don’t know but he seems further away from the Everton first team now than 8-10 other u23s
Liam Reilly
28 Posted 12/11/2019 at 08:56:41
The James Maddison one is interesting Gavin.

Do you think he'd thrive in our set up? I don't, because Leicester play with pace and we're far more pedestrian. I suspect if he was at Goodison now then he'd be nowhere near that senior England side because our side\squad is unbalanced.

Re Dowell; what an opportunity this lad has with his talent, but something is lacking. I have no idea about his work ethic or commitment but if I were him, then I'd be first at training at last to go home.

Kevin Prytherch
29 Posted 12/11/2019 at 09:08:23
Gavin 21 - I was one of the ones questioning why we’d need Maddison instead of Dowell. One of the big differences between the players was that Maddison had a year of regular football with no pressure on him, while we left Dowell in the U23’s.

Although I doubt now that Dowell would have hit the heights of Maddison, if we’d have shown a little faith at a crucial age then things might be totally different now.

Brian Williams
30 Posted 12/11/2019 at 09:20:55
Kevin I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare the two players.
The difference is that Maddison is a much much better player. Sometimes we just have to accept that some players don't quite make the top grade. We don't need to always look for what the club did wrong.
Top players will rise to the top no matter what, IMO.
Dave Abrahams
31 Posted 12/11/2019 at 09:35:39
Andrew. (26), your last paragraph was great advice to Keiran, if he listens, doubt if nobody at Everton hasn’t been giving him that advice.

I’ve been giving Keiran ‘ Constructive criticism’ on ToffeeWeb since he first started playing in the youth team a few years ago, he hasn’t changed his languid style one inch.

I criticised his style one time without mentioning his name, Harold Mathews was on to me right away, ‘Oh you must mean Dowell’ he posted immediately. I think heart and bottle come naturally.

I think a couple of years ago we could have asked a decent fee for Keiran, don’t think we will get one now.

Come on Keiran, fans on here are telling you what a fantastic talent you’ve got, try, very hard, not to waste it,put the work in to go with your talent, you’ll be a very rich man by the time you’re thirty, if you use your fuckin’ ears. It’s your last chance.

Gavin Johnson
32 Posted 12/11/2019 at 09:45:26
Kevin #29 At the time it was a feasible comparison. Dowell had just finished a largely successful loan spell at Forest. I say largely because his form dropped off a cliff towards the end of that season and he was dropped. During the spell he played at Forest his goal/assists weren't that dissimilar from Maddison. That's the argument that Dowell supporters gave at the time.

I was gutted when we didn't push through with our interest and make an offer for Maddison. Realistically it was never going to happen because Sigurdsson wasn't ever going to be dropped last season.

Sam Hoare
33 Posted 12/11/2019 at 09:55:16
It's a shame but he does not seem to have progressed.

He's on his third loan now and if anything they seem to be getting worse! His time at Forest was a success (at least initially) and it was at that time he was being compared with Maddison who was the other young goalscoring midfielder in the championship, though Maddison was more consistent and had better defensive stats which is why I was one of the people saying we should get him.

Since that point Maddison has gone upwards and sadly Dowell the other way. he started about 6 matches for Derby in August/September but failed to make an impression.

He's just turned 22 so certainly has alot of footballing years ahead of him but needs to find a club where he can establish himself and I think thats looking less and less likely to be at Everton.

James Flynn
34 Posted 12/11/2019 at 12:02:00
Mike (20) - Here you go, Link

Although I rarely go there, Lyndon and Michael have those neat player profiles under the "Players" drop down at the top of the page. Google-guessed something like "Bily Everton left foot" and there it was from the 2012 season.

I don't wonder why a McGeady, Niasse, or Besic aren't good enough. They're plainly not. But a Bily, Mirallas, the Yak, Barkley too, there's this "You should be a better player than you are. Something's missing." And whatever that "Something" is, guys like Ossy, Pienaar, and Cahill, had it in spades.

[A picture of Cahill's head on Barkley's shoulders just came to mind. Can you imagine? Even a tough nut like Kompany might've taken a couple of gulps with THAT monster coming at him.]

Anyway, although his game didn't possess Kierans' silky smoothness, Bily was one of those players who made me wonder why he wasn't as good as his apparent skill. And I'm thinking the same with Kieran. Would love to be wrong, because the kid can be nice to watch.

But keeping with the theme of this thread, young Maddison doesn't appear to possess more skill than young Dowell. Yet, there's a huge gulf between the two. Remember that old show-biz saw, "I don't know what 'It", but he's got "It!" Maddison has "It". Kieran doesn't. Who knows why? So, this next Summer's continuing clear-out includes him.

And someone, ANYONE, please take fucking Besic.

Dave Williams
35 Posted 12/11/2019 at 12:09:34
I have always thought he might be suited to a Sheedy type role wide left midfield. Sheedy needed to be protected from the hurly burly area of central midfield and aided by the protection afforded by Pat at LB he of course became the best wide player in the league. Sheedy was a focal point for the team and didn’t hide in that position. Dowell has great skill but is now in huge danger of wasting it. He is no longer the next best thing and is getting old in terms of making it. I can’t see him suddenly finding the balls to impose himself.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

36 Posted 12/11/2019 at 13:08:37
I think any fair minded Blue who can recognize talent is capable of acknowledging that Kieran Dowell has one kind of 'it' but lacks another kind of 'it'.

The 'it' he possesses in abundance he has displayed at every level he has played at, be that with club or country.

He is an innate footballer with multiple skills that even many successful footballers lack.

He is extremely easy on the eye in possession of the ball. Beautifully balanced, fluid and languid in all he does, great vision and capable of picking out and playing passes others only dream about. He has a tremendous shot with either foot be it when running with a moving ball or a dead ball from a free kick, backed up by exquisite technique.

That's the good 'it'.

The bad 'it' is how he applies himself to the grimier side of football: digging in and helping the team in adversity. The harrying, the chasing and tackling back. The determination to leave a mark and make yourself undroppable.

That 'it' has just not happened for Kieran.

Given the loan opportunities he has had and the undoubted counselling he has received from countless trainers (it's absurd to believe this aspect of his game has never been discussed with the player) at the age he is now, not getting a game at Derby under a manager with very close bonds to Brands, doesn't augur well.

Some compare Kieran's languid style to that of Kevin Sheedy, which is a fair one. But the Irishman still had bottle in big games and big moments. Who can forget his goal celebration at the Kop end, aggressively giving them the 'V' and mouthing off some choice expletives? The twice taken free kick v Ipswich in opposite corners?

With his playing ability, Kieran Dowell should already be a regular for the 1st team. He's that good.

That he isn't is due to the absence of the other essential 'it'.

It saddens me to write that, effectively casting aspersions on his character. But sadly, that is the only conclusion I'm left with as to why his blindingly obvious football ability is yet to see him elevated to regular 1st team football wherever he has plied his trade.

I have no doubts he will continue to make a rewarding career for himself. But unless there is a serious, but VERY serious change of mindset it will not be at Everton or at the very highest levels of the game that he is well capable of playing at.

Andrew James
37 Posted 12/11/2019 at 22:17:03
Dave (31)

I just don't understand why he wouldn't? Plus he's so young, he'd see the benefits quicker.

I'm an amateur marathon runner and I realised to get better PB's, I'd need to change things up. So I dropped some weight by no longer weight training, took up outdoor swimming to increase lung capacity and worked on different types of cadence to switch it up during running to prevent injury.

I know this is the reverse of what I am proposing Kieran does but look at Barkley. His upper body work sustained him as he could bounce players off him and keep the ball. When Bale emerged as a left winger, it was clear he'd been in the gym and practising 50 metre sprints, hence his "taxi for Maicon" moment.

He has the frame and the height to do it, unlike Leon Osman who was much in need of more pace and power but didn't have the body for it.

Many reports I've read are that Kieran fades in matches so a greater intensity in his prep would stop that. I think it is unforgiveable that professional athletes cannot last the 90 mins. Surely it is the bare minimum they should be able to deliver? (Adam Lallana anyone?)

Crying shame if Kieran misses the moment and enters the Youth Prodigies that didn't make it at Everton Hall of Infamy like Jose Baxter, Michael Branch and John Paul Kissock.

Ed Prytherch
38 Posted 13/11/2019 at 01:34:50
I like to think that there is still time for Kieran. He should talk to John Lundstram who is doing so well at Sheffield. He had loan spells at Doncaster Rovers, Yeovil Town, Leyton Orient, Blackpool and Scunthorpe United before leaving Everton to join Oxford United in 2015. One team were so disappointed with him that they sent him back to us. If anyone knows how to turn things around, it is John.
Dave Abrahams
39 Posted 13/11/2019 at 13:06:24
Andrew (37), good post, you’d have to wonder why people close to Keiran haven’t looked at why he isn’t progressing as he should, coaches will have seen what we have witnessed, surely they have suggested different approaches the lad should make,is he not listening, has he tried to be more aggressive but it’s not in his nature?

It would be a shame to waste such talent, as many fans have suggested. At the end of the day it is all down to Keiran Dowell himself, and that has been said many times before as well.

Ashley Roberts
40 Posted 13/11/2019 at 14:32:23
I agree with Dave #35, I always hoped he could play that Sheedy role and I still think he could. I watched Kieran play for the various U23, 21's etc. I have to say he never looked out of place in a good team. The same applies to Sheeds. Lets be honest, would Sheedy have made the first team in a struggling Division 1 team? I don't think so. Sheedy excelled because he was surrounded with sheer class. Let's not forget that. Yes, he had a gifted left foot and having been at Villa Park to watch the Luton game I don't think we can deny it. Kieran was always in the first team for England and started off well at Forest but when they started to struggle he was not seen as the player to take the game by the scruff of the neck. The same has happened at Derby. Would he currently do well back with us, again I don't think so. We are a struggling team and players like Sigurrdson are seen as luxury. Lets hope that once we turn it around (need a new manager for that) and are flying high he could come back and fill that Sheedy role. Oh I like to dream, maybe because there has been all this talk about the Kendall era and the great players we had back then.
Kevin Prytherch
41 Posted 13/11/2019 at 16:52:23
It’s strange how England U23’s have used Dowell, and now Davies, as a deep lying midfielder. Is it something in the technical ability of our young players?

I hope we’ve not mismanaged Dowell out of a career. The likes of Lundstrum and Lingaard should provide inspiration that it can still be done in your early 20’s.

Kieran Kinsella
42 Posted 13/11/2019 at 17:17:00
Dave 31 Jay 36

Forest and Sheff Utd fans echo your comments. Eg doesn’t do enough bread and butter stuff between moments of skill. I’d say there are three possible reasons, two of which are controllable.

1. Technique. Does he understand how to tackle, Mark, position himself when defending or playing deep? If not, that’s something coaches can address in training.

2.Physique. Is he strong enough and fast enough? Maybe not. This is harder to address but can be mitigated with wright sessions and intelligent movement.

3. Desire. Is he up for it? I would challenge any skillful young player to watch Oxade of the RS. He is relentless. Never lets his head drop, works every blade of grass. His industry is like Gueye but he has skills too. It’s all about his desire.

Andrew Keatley
43 Posted 13/11/2019 at 17:33:17
James Maddison has an impish quality; he has it in his social media and he displays it on the pitch. He likes the limelight and backs himself to deliver come game-time; he wants to be eye-catching - from his hairstyle, to his goal celebrations, to his performances on the pitch.

Dowell lacks that ”look-at-me“ energy. That’s fine - it doesn’t work for everyone - but whatever attitude Dowell is bringing to the training ground and onto the pitch is not pushing him forward. I agree with others above who are suggesting increased gym-time and fitness sessions; he needs to give himself more of an edge, find more of a competitive spirit. He already has the footballing ability, he needs to develop sharp elbows and a wily nature.

Tommy Carter
44 Posted 13/11/2019 at 20:43:45
@43

Andrew. Spot on

I was another interested in Maddison. But he’d never suit Everton. Because he’s full of front and backs himself.

Evertonians I communicate with tend to prefer players who appear to give their all, even when their all is not good enough.

They like characters who ‘love the club’. Who ‘get what it is to be an Evertonian’. They like characters like Unsworth and Stubbsy.

Evertonian are afraid of good players with winning mentalities. Because inevitably they will want to leave our club. And a player cannot hurt you by leaving if he was never with you in the first place.

Evertonians booed Romelu Lukaku, when he played for our club AND was scoring 20+ goals a season.

Evertonians moaned and groaned at John Stones.

Evertonians currently deride Richarlison for his behaviour. And for crying out loud he is one of very few players with a winning mentality in our squad.

Dowell does not have the heart of a champion. A winning mentality. The ability to keep going when things are bad. The ability to drag a performance out of himself. He has absolutely none of his. He’ll not have a career of any top level standing

Nicholas Ryan
45 Posted 14/11/2019 at 14:25:18
Mike [20] … Are you sure he's WITH a club in Lithuania, and not IN a club in Lithuania?!
Dave Ganley
46 Posted 16/11/2019 at 09:52:32
Tommy Carter you're talking a complete load of nonsense. Evertonians are afraid of good players with a winning mentality? What utter rubbish. People loved the fact that on his day lukaku was a works beater. There was nothing like it seeing him in full flow. The problem with lukaku was that he only really played when it suited him. Look at the contrast to how he almost single handedly beat Chelsea on his own in the fa cup quarter final to give he played in the semi, chalk and cheese. He has all the tools to be as good as Drogba, who I consider to be one of the great modern day strikers, yet chooses to play within himself week after week. He got up evertonian noses because of the amount of times he was touting himself to other clubs in the media. John stones is another good player who oozes class when he dribbles out of the area for city. However when you're in a battle for the drop zone, and you're desperately battling against a good spurs team it's not so surprising that fans get a little edgy when one of your defenders tries to dribble out of the area when your defence is well known for making mistakes and giving away goals.

Yes evertonians like players who give their all, so do the RS and City, it's why they are so good. They maximise everything a player has, skill, effort team spirit. Not like us. We either have players who are skillful and wont chase down, players who give their all but not skillful, players with no team spirit. By your comments then I guess you didn't like Cahill or arteta or Pienaar etc, players who weren't the most talented players but maximised what they had? From the sounds of it you just like the show ponies. Players who just like to do the pretty bits but not much else. Evertonians want players who maximise what they have. The fact that you endorse Richarlison which spends an awful lot if time rolling around and diving instead of staying on his feet and taking a goalscoring opportunity sums up his thin your argument is.
Evertonians want winners who will leave nothing on the field, we just haven't got any. Lukaku found how good his attitude was when he got his big move to United. He wasnt good enough. Dont agree with any of your comments and you insult every evertonian with them too.

Alan McGuffog
47 Posted 16/11/2019 at 21:19:11
talking of lads who we've brought through and let go, anyone see the goal that Liam Walsh scored for Coventry today. I say !
Alan McGuffog
48 Posted 16/11/2019 at 21:19:11
Arild Andersen
50 Posted 29/11/2019 at 20:00:11
Talking about youngsters on loan, I'm watching Schalke vs Union Berlin at the moment, and from what I can see, Jonjoe Kenny has a good game. Doing the right things, working hard, good positioning. And Schalke is in top 4 in the Bundesliga, a good team.
Arild Andersen
51 Posted 29/11/2019 at 20:09:15
Btw Jonjoe plays on the right side of midfield in a 3-4-3.
Derek Thomas
52 Posted 04/12/2019 at 23:58:17
If he's warming their bench he may as well come back and warm ours...and there's nobody else in the U23s who could come on to the bench??

Why do we bother with them?? In these desperate times? Not one? Even as a - what other player do we have? What do we have to lose??

Bring back Jonjoe Kenny too.