The oasis in the Everton desert that is Finch Farm

by   |   25/11/2019  7 Comments  [Jump to last]

Just now various media reports state that even now our players still like Silva and his training methods and so, by simple extension, their own lives.

Now I've long realised that very, very many players these days pay attention to only their agents and none to the fans or even their managers or coaches. Once you've scaled the greasy ladder to a professional contract, especially one in the Premier League, you are, as a player, somewhat made for life as a minimum. In the meantime, and perhaps sadly to some people employed in football, our club, (repeat… “our” club, the fans' club), is deemed by many of us to be a necessity next only to food, drink and family.

Expecting enjoyable food, drink or family for decade after decade may admittedly be a bit weird but to be denied any of it for 25 years, as we Toffees have been in terms of enjoyable football, naturally forces consideration of what's going on where the Everton recipe is supposed to be refined and delivered, namely at Finch Farm.

We know that Mr Usmanov has devoted a certain amount of money into it. We know it's on the outskirts of Halewood… but, those two things aside, what else do we genuinely know about what goes on there?

Fans are completely in the dark as to who precisely does what on the management and coaching staff. There is no visible accountability from anyone except one hapless player paraded out to spout about nonsensical theories whenever we get beaten.

In my view, the place needs to be re-booted pretty much from top to bottom before we can expect anything remotely palatable as fans. Meanwhile, those actually passing through our oasis, drink their fill, as do the indigenous camels, and become fat, lazy and disinclined to ever leave – and why would they, I suppose?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (7)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 25/11/2019 at 14:04:38
Yeah mate, it must be awful hard to motivate yourself to get out of bed for only £10,000 a day...or more.
Jer Kiernan
2 Posted 25/11/2019 at 14:29:35
@Don
Good article and well written but you have said it all to be honest, Is about Discipline and Motivation for me, our lot have neither

But you lead from example as a manager, is clear to me Schneiderlin sees being asked to play the 90minutes on a Sat as an imposition even his bookings are for lazy attempts to get the ball, he allowed yet again the 1st goals scorer for Norwich to waltz by him on Sat

And yet 2years after he was boo-ed off the park ( a real rarity at Goodison) he is still in the squad and the team

I remember hearing about Fergie when he arrived at OT launched Paul McGrath who was still a world class defender with lots left in the tank ( ask Villa fans) cas he didnt like his drinking habits so out you go, He stated later that it sent a clear message to the rest of the dressing room

Thats what is required

Steve Ferns
3 Posted 25/11/2019 at 14:33:16
Interesting and well written article Don.

Jer, how do you get rid of a player on £120,000 per week who cost £23m?

Jer Kiernan
4 Posted 25/11/2019 at 15:47:24
@Steve

I think that is the problem, he is toxic on the pitch

If I am manager and I didnt buy him then I wouldnt give a fck what he cost I would drop him like a hot stone and let Marcel worry about that

Jerome Shields
5 Posted 25/11/2019 at 00:21:02
Totally agree with this article.

The Culture of Finch Farm is to a large extent part of the root cause of Evertons failure. The personnel there are immune to any accountability for failure. As Don describes it is a Oasis, for in my opinion those at Finch Farm through years of under performance and a woeful attitude.

Any appointed Manager would in my opinion, need to make necessary change at Finch Farm a condition of taking on the job, to stand any chance of Success. This would consist of wholesale changes of the coaching team and the installation of his own selected replacements.

The failed brand of Everton is a large part the manifestation of the Present Finch Farm Cu!ture.

The fai!ure Everton on the pitch of today is the same template we have seen numerous times before, under various Mangers, rooted in the unchanging Finch Farm Culture that has remained over many years.

Both Brands and Moshiri have appeared not to have realised this.

In addition Brands really has to continue getting rid of deadwood. The Board and Management shortfall in performance needs to be tackled by Mishiri sooner rather than later.

Andrew James
6 Posted 26/11/2019 at 02:04:11
Jer

Agree, we should drop him and flush him out. Make him train with the kids and put in a transfer request.

We will make a loss but he is utterly useless. One of the worst Everton players I have ever witnessed in midfield.

I cannot think of a single midfielder we've had in the last 30 years who was worse. He can't tackle, has no pace, doesn't pass forwards, can't dribble, is useless in the air and doesn't score.

To think a decade ago our fanbase maligned Osman...yikes...he was miles ahead of this clown and paid much less.

When I see his name on the team sheet, I expect us to lose and, more often than not, we do. Joke of a player.

He recently tried to explain his position which was lame. He must go, he is utterly awful and I sometimes wonder if he ever should have been a footballer and is better off being a traffic cone?

He's the only player to have been told in no uncertain terms by the GSE twice to not go backwards and be made to go forwards. Such was the derision when he headed towards our goal.

Get rid of him and we purge one of our problems.

Tony Abrahams
7 Posted 28/11/2019 at 19:46:39
I very rarely try to judge because I find most things to be a contradiction of sorts, and whilst agreeing with what Don, has written, and Jerome has expanded on about Finch Farm, then I think that Schneiderlin must be one of the best trainers, that Everton have ever had, because I also agree with everything Andrew says as well.