Mike Dean

by   |   28/11/2019  11 Comments  [Jump to last]

Forgive me if this has already come up in the various threads knocking about, but I heard on the radio the other day that the Premier League have announced Martin Atkinson is set to be the video assistant referee for next month's Merseyside derby. With Mike Dean set to take full command of the meeting between Liverpool and Everton.

Talksport couldn't see any problem with the renowned Tranmere fan taking charge.

Discuss.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (11)

Lyndon Lloyd
1 Posted 28/11/2019 at 20:58:35
Apparently, to complete the turd triumvirate, Anthony Taylor is fourth official.
Tony Abrahams
2 Posted 28/11/2019 at 21:10:11
Imagine getting a decision off the three amigos? Singing it was just my imagination!
Richard Jones
3 Posted 28/11/2019 at 21:20:33
Doesn't Mike Dean have 2 kids in the Liverpool academy?
Derek Thomas
4 Posted 28/11/2019 at 21:23:08
Referees from some pretty (all due respect etc.) Minor leagues at the last World Cup. None from the mighty Premier League – I wonder why?

We'll have to knock them out to get a draw, as the boxing saying goes.

Mark Guglielmo
5 Posted 28/11/2019 at 23:47:09
Lads, I have no way of confirming if this is just Twitter journalism or not, but does anyone know if there's any truth to this statement?

Mike Dean hasn't been allowed to referee a match at Anfield in 22 years, and was pulled from the FA Cup Finals in 2006 because of Liverpool being in it?

He has 2 sons with season tickets to the RS.

Rob Halligan
6 Posted 28/11/2019 at 23:57:47
Mark, right on both counts.
Dave Lynch
7 Posted 28/11/2019 at 00:00:38
Know what.
I posted on a thread a few weeks back that I thought there was an agenda to hand Liverpool the title.

This confirms my thinking. Disgraceful decision.

Mark Guglielmo
8 Posted 29/11/2019 at 00:03:55
Good god, Rob. Thanks for confirming. Toss Martin "I definitely didn't see Deli Alli use his entire arm to deflect the ball" Atkinson in the VAR booth, and I would assume a 5-0 drubbing with 3 RS goals coming on VAR-awarded penalties to Mane.
Eddie Dunn
9 Posted 29/11/2019 at 08:32:15
Didn't Mike Dean's mum used to clean for Kenny Dagleish?
Andy Crooks
11 Posted 29/11/2019 at 22:18:38
Let's not look for excuses yet. We can beat Liverpool. They are not as good as they think. I will be anxious, sick but not without belief. We can win this one. We really can, if I didn't think so one major part of my life would mean nothing.
Steve Carse
12 Posted 06/12/2019 at 16:57:41
Dean with the whistle, Atkinson in front of the telly, what could go wrong
Concerns borne out by events, namely the disgraceful decision first by Dean and then by VAR man Atkinson not to do what blatantly should have been done when van Dijk took DCL out. But of course they were never going to give it. Dean made his decision in half a second, Atkinson in half a minute (compare that with the 3 minutes it took to give Brighton their penalty a month ago).
Why wasn't it given? Well I suppose you can partly exonerate Dean (though certainly not his linesman who'd have had a clear side-on view of the fact that van Dijk was well short of his man with his tackle and had played the man). But Atkinson is another matter. There 's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he'd have had the repercussions in his mind -- ie not only Everton to make it 2-2 from the penalty but also the RS down to 10 men for the remaining hour or more of the game; and van Dijk suspended for 2/3 games.
For all those who supported VAR on the basis that it would stop favouritism for currently most succeessful clubs think again.