The man who saved Rangers

by   |   03/12/2019  17 Comments  [Jump to last]

I lived in Glasgow for quite a few years. My preferred team was Clydebank. I spent some fine afternoons at Kilbowie. I also watched Motherwell, Partick, Killie, Dumbarton. Also, I was unusual in that I watched Rangers and Celtic. I just like football and had no allegiance to either.

The atmosphere at both grounds is electric. Anyone who succeeds there is special. It takes someone special. Jock Stein achieved, in my view, one of the greatest triumphs in British sport. Walter Smith coached the worst team that ever got to the Europa League final.

Brendan Rogers succeeded at Celtic and is doing it at Leicester City. At Celtic, now there is the admirable strong and underrated Neil Lennon. However, there is another success story in Glasgow. It is Steven Gerrard. What he has achieved is quite remarkable.

I have discussed what he has done with many friends who watch Scottish football. He has rejuvenated a failed club. He has restored respect. He has been innovate in his coaching. He has been strong, media astute and is revered by supporters. He will move on soon.

I have loathed him in the past but Steven Gerrard is a winner. Not Arteta, not, no never, Eddie Howe. Let us hurt Liverpool, let us be bold, let us forget the past. Let us show some vision. I know many will hate the idea. But, let us do what must be done to make Steven Gerrard our next coach.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (17)

Derek Thomas
1 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:05:06
I get the theory but it's a very big ask, a big bridge to cross... maybe a bridge too far.

It would be one in the eye for Liverpool, which is never a bad thing.

But are things really that bad? Answer me after the game.

Ryan Holroyd
2 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:05:26
Yeah good one.

Let's also have Carragher as first team coach.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

3 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:08:54
All very inspirational Andy, but with one vital unspoken flaw:

He would never come to Everton. The kid pictured in an Everton kit all those years ago no longer exists.

No way will he sabotage his long-term ambition to manage Liverpool by managing Everton first.

Mike Hugh
4 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:11:19
I couldn't care less who managed us, whether it be Gerrard, Benitez even the twat Houllier. I just want my kids to see us win something!!
James Flynn
5 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:16:16
Not Eddie Howe? But his first AND last names end in vowels.
Steve Ferns
6 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:18:07
Andy, you must have hit your head! I was raised not to be bitter to that lot, to back them whenever they played, especially in Europe, etc. There's no way our fan base could unite behind him.

Let's put that to one side though. What about his coaching and tactics do you think could help him drag us up the table? I don't pay any attention to Scottish football, so I have no idea how he's doing other than to look at the table.

How do you envisage Gerard could turn things around here? What's he going to do different? What is it about his "innovative" coaching that can transfer to Everton?

Look forward to seeing your response, mate.

Rob Halligan
7 Posted 04/12/2019 at 14:21:59
I think it's already been confirmed that Slippy will take over at the RS when Klipperty goes. TFFT!!
Jerome Shields
8 Posted 04/12/2019 at 18:23:05
This could be a success or a disaster. If Gerrard has the neck to take the job, who knows what he could achieve.
Andy Crooks
9 Posted 04/12/2019 at 22:44:06
Steve, I am not going to cross swords with you on tactics. I know my limitations. But, I will give you some thoughts based on what friends who watch Rangers see.
Gerrard bases his tactics on the Klopp high press model. However, that is easy in Scottish football. 4-3-3works against Ross County and, well, against most Scottish teams. Against Celtic, it has taken a while. Early on he played 4-4-2. In the league Cup final on Sunday he will play 4-3-3 and Rangers will win.
He is fanatical about fitness. There is a very strict disciplinary regime. He is, and I know this from someone at the club,that he is a magnificent motivator. He is a winner;just look at the dejected figure on the touchline tonight.
This post will disappear among tonights deluge but we need a new coach. Silva will, rightly, be sacked. Gerrard would keep us up and take us forward.
Jay,Klopp will be at Liverpool long after Gerrard has left at Rangers. The lad in the blue kit will always be there. Anyway, Jay, would you have him? I suspect you are open minded enough to say yes.
Derek Thomas
10 Posted 05/12/2019 at 02:36:35
Andy; 'Are things really that bad? answer me after the game,' I said.

Plenty, it seems, would take Benitez, so the rs thing is not a total no-no.
Apart from his rs connections, his strengths seem to be... Strict on discipline and fitness and a good motivator, also switches tactics - thankfully or hopefully that rules out Moyes then...(but this is The Ev here)

About that winner bit though, there isn't much in the way of adversity except Celtic up there, so that's a bit moot.

Maybe a leopard can change his shorts, but surely there must be a none rs with some those qualities...even if he did or does keep pigeons.

That said, whoever you get in to kick the tea cups...if the players aren't arsed, then you're on a loser.

I've said Bielsa for months now, I'll stick with him...to misquote billy joel...he might just be the lunatic we're looking for.

Simon Dalzell
11 Posted 05/12/2019 at 17:07:37
You're having a tin bath Mr Crooks !
John Clarke
12 Posted 06/12/2019 at 04:59:27
It was bad enough having Sammy Lee next to Allardyce. Gerrard, Stevie bleeding G. He was a thug and tried to take out several Everton players during the many derby games he played in. I could accept Rafa Benitez, as enough time has passed and he is a very experienced manager. But apart from the humiliation of even making an enquiry for Gerrard, no, no and NO.

I now live in Brisbane and a much more likeable Evertonian, who was signed by Liverpool as a kid.

One Robbie Fowler, manages Brisbane Roar, in the A-League here in Australia. Robbie Fowler lifting his shirt in a goal celebration to show, 'I support the Dockers.' A reference to Liverpool dockers who had been on strike for months. Incidentally, I'm not suggesting Robbie, just comparing personalities.

I watched the toffee tv 'Duncan Ferguson coaching years'. Duncan has all his badges, has worked with four different managers, loves, lives and breathes the club.

I'm not expecting miracles on Saturday against Chelsea. Depending on the timeline, Duncan may well have three tough games to navigate the team through.

We don't even know if Everton have anyone in mind, or even if anyone has been contacted. You would imagine Brands has been sounding potential managers out but we just don't know.

Winston Churchill, in 1939, said of Russia:

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma."

Love you Everton, unconditionally and always will.

Peter Gorman
14 Posted 07/12/2019 at 11:13:29
To an extent I understand the rationale, but writing an article suggesting we go for Slippy makes about as much sense as one that says make a bid for Klopp.

This fanciful thought should have been killed in its infancy.

Jimmy Salt
15 Posted 07/12/2019 at 20:50:11
Stop it now soft lad.
David Thomas
16 Posted 07/12/2019 at 23:48:10
I presume this is another article where you're going to think tomorrow, when you're sober, "What have I said?"
Derek Knox
17 Posted 08/12/2019 at 20:15:54
Andy, I can understand where you're coming from on this, but realistically I believe that Stevie G is merely cutting his Managerial teeth in a similar fashion to Frank Lampard at Derby last season.

Yes, he has done well in basically his first Senior Management post and has got Rangers back almost on a par with Celtic, which is admirable in his first year.

As Rob @ 7, said he is just waiting in the wings for Klipperty to move on, all the signs are that Klopp will see his tenure out, and probably win the Premier League Title barring a disastrous run.

While the seat is still warm he will be back at Liverpool.

Jamie Crowley
18 Posted 12/12/2019 at 12:52:00
Andy -

I just now saw this post.

Stop sniffing bath salts.

All these calls for Benitez and Stevie Dickhead drive me crazy. They're both red, they've both shat (past tense of the oft used shit) on Everton, and showed outward contempt to the Club.

I understand, rewinding the clock to a week or so ago, that we were desperate. But always hold onto your pride. Don't sell your soul to the dark red side that promises wins and success. That road, for me, has an unhappy ending.

Benitez and Slippy can do one. I don't ever, ever want to see them anywhere near our Club.