So, what next?

by   |   08/01/2020  20 Comments  [Jump to last]

Having read hundreds of posts and contributed one myself, it's pretty clear that the vast majority of us do not wish to see particular players wear the shirt again. Some call for a huge, wholesale cull; some want to see some of the youngsters given a chance. Lots — if not most — myself included, bemoan the lack of fight, spirit, guts or whatever.

Serious question now: how would the fans of bringing the kids in to replace the blatantly obvious shirkers and mercenaries feel if Ancelloti did just that, failed miserably and got us relegated? How would the fans of 'hungry' players with a point to prove feel if they were brought in with the same result?

Do we as Everton fans expect too much due to our 'istory? Yeah, I know, more than one question, but how do others feel?

I think that, especially since Moshiri appeared with his money, we have collectively expected too much too soon.

A lot of people on here very similar age-wise to me (62) remember the good old days when even some of the most awful players ever to pull on an Everton shirt did at least attempt to cover their respective inadequacies with plenty of effort. This is what I miss most from the majority of players over the last 5 to 10 years.

Would we get, and or accept, lots of effort with just the odd occasional high point if it meant the big R from the Premier League? On reflection, I think I probably would. The club is so far behind the best sides, it's laughable to think that, under the present regime, with all its shortcomings, we can ever bridge the gap.

I don't include Ancelloti in this, he has a winning mentality that already seems to be creating friction with some of our senior players. If, as I sincerely hope, Carlo can begin to turn this wayward club around, all well and good. But, if he can't and the wasters who have already burned through three or four managers get their way, we could be in big, big trouble. Or does he get shut of said wasters, throw in some academy kids with a sprinkling of lower-league hungry players?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (20)

David Greenwood
1 Posted 08/01/2020 at 20:19:50
Delph, Schniederlin, Siggy and several others should be nowhere near the first team ever again.

It will be very interesting to see what Carlo does v Brighton.

Three youngsters, three fellas from the crowd, or starting with eight players would be more palatable to the supporters than those three starting.

I'm not interested in giving them another chance, or the chance to make amends. They've had plenty and failed every time.

Brian Williams
2 Posted 08/01/2020 at 20:26:41

Accept relegation? Absolute lunacy sorry and I'm exactly the same age as the author!

John P McFarlane
3 Posted 08/01/2020 at 20:34:17
Simply don't put Snides, Walcott and Siggy on the pitch at the same time - I really don't understand, even with injuries how they were all selected on Sunday - was it to put them in the shop-window, to tempt some club to take them away? Well that worked a treat.

There are 28 players in our first team squad with just the two injured, albeit engine room players, but surely the manager can come up with some combination that will work in the short-term to get the points required for survival. I hope he can anyway as regardless of the line-ups, at this juncture relegation is not an option.

Rob Halligan
4 Posted 08/01/2020 at 20:36:15
Jim, that Liverpool team on Sunday, as good as they were, was almost the same team that got turned over by Aston Villa in the last round of the Carabao cup, and even then, Villa were not at full strength. If we put a team of youngsters out between now and the end of the season, then we've had it, and relegation is not something I want to see. During my lifetime, there has only been two teams who spent all that time in top flight football, and I would like it to remain that way, thank you very much!!
Paul Birmingham
5 Posted 08/01/2020 at 21:23:34
The club, the board has got to change the mind set and I still new values and culture, at Everton FC, to embrace a new beginning.

The past is the past, and sadly outer history in football terms is decades ago, and we can’t wallow in past glories.

On the playing side along with the new culture, the playing squads at all levels, must be taught and play with the Everton playing values.

Sunday was unacceptable, unforgivable and I’m sure that the fans will make their feelings know about the total dissatisfaction with the performance during, attitude after the final whistle: totally disrespectful to the fans, coupled with the yellow bellies revolt.

Fabian Delph, will be finished and maybe he’s defaulted for the option of not having to face the wrath of the crowd at GP, again.

Siggy, Schneiderlin, Walcott, have consistently betrayed the team.

So what Ames’s for Carlo Ancelloti to sort out. Will this story ultimately, have a happy ending?

Terrible but hopefully this show of emotion and rightfully so by supporters, will drive home once and for all, that mediocrity and dereliction of duty on the park, won’t be tolerated.

I’d not be surprised that they’ll e songs, taunts, paper and white hankies and booing v Brighton.

Peter Neilson
6 Posted 09/01/2020 at 16:52:05
Ancelotti hasn't even finished his 3rd week in charge. Madness to throw our hands in the air and start talking about "accepting" relegation. I don't get the argument that being so far behind the best sides means that we should increase that gap by going down. We'd also still be stuck with the same inept players as I doubt there are relegation clauses in their contracts. Ask Leeds/Sunderland fans how much they enjoy relegation.
Kieran Kinsella
7 Posted 09/01/2020 at 16:58:30
I think it's going to be pretty difficult to get relegated. We have 25 points and generally 36 plus is enough to survive. So we're looking at winning what 4 games of the next 16? It's not as if all the teams below have any kind of consistency either. I could see us finishing 17th if things go poorly but I think actual relegation this year at least is a bit of a stretch.
Conor McCourt
8 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:03:13
Peter we are three or four wins from safety, we have just got five points from Duncs three games and six points from Carlos three, things are depressing enough after the Derby without the usual scaremongering on top.
Steve Ferns
9 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:10:10
Spot on Conor. We should also collect those three or four wins in the next five games.
Alan J Thompson
10 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:19:57
It's not a case of playing a team full of youngsters and we could play either Delph or Sigurdsson with two or three others in midfield or even Bernard and/or Richarlison with Davies and a youngster or as has been done play Holgate as the defensive mid in a 4-4-2. You could even tell said youngster to put his all into it as he will most likely be subbed around the 60-70 minute mark and possibly for another youngster.
Whatever it is it can't include Schneiderlin and most certainly not with Sigurdsson and in all likelihood only two youngsters at the very most, unless you are counting DCL, Kean and Holgate as youngsters.
Tony Abrahams
11 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:20:35
Rob@4, I didn’t think Liverpool were that good mate, I just thought Everton were very poor. That isn’t sour grapes either, because for the first time in my life, it wasn’t Liverpool I hated at the end of a derby match, it was those cowards in blue shirts.

So in answer to the title at the top of the page, I don’t think Walcott or Schneiderlin should ever play for Everton again? Maybe Delph, just for that pathetic antagonist reply he gave to an Evertonian, but the two I mentioned first are cowards, so I hope I never see them in a blue shirt again.

Kieran Kinsella
12 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:20:41
Jim

The other thing is it’s not set in stone that we play the shirkers or the kids. If Carlo decided to play the kids for three or four games and they were a bag of shite presumably he’d start playing the shirkers again

Martin Nicholls
13 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:22:55
Steve - indeed we should collect 3 or 4 wins from next 5 games but after Sunday's debacle on the pitch and the post match repercussions, do you think we will? I don't!
Peter Neilson
14 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:34:13
Conor agreed, absolutely, that's the point I was making. We're turning a hugely disgraceful defeat into something else entirely. The season for me has been positive at the start (always begins that way), negative as Silva struggled, positive as Duncan replaced him and brought some pragmatism and fight to the team, positive again as we hired a world class manager and then the negative of last Sunday. As long as Carlo makes some changes on Saturday and drops the senior players who let us down so much we have to move on.
Colin Metcalfe
15 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:38:37
I know this a bit off topic but the article mentions the average age of posters on this site, I just wonder how the younger fans feel and also will we still have the same amount of fanbase in 20/30 years ?
I go to the match these days and it seems the younger generation are in the minority or is it just me ?
Paul Tran
16 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:43:33
All about the consequences. If these players 'never' play for us again, who takes their place? Will they get the results/performances we're looking for? Are we prepared to take a potential hit in points? How much? Are we happy to pay them to do nothing? Do we come to a settlement to buy out their contracts?

Shouting the odds is good fun, but if we're taking this seriously, we have to think about what consequences were prepared to accept.

Peter Neilson
17 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:48:26
Colin (15) from the club site just before Xmas "one in six (17%) of Everton Season Ticket Members are under the age of 18 - in comparison to the league average of one in eight. Add to that just under 3,000 Season Ticket Members aged 18 to 24 for 2019/20." A few youngsters around me in the Main Stand but most, I guess, in the Family Enclosure.
Carl Manning
18 Posted 09/01/2020 at 17:55:42
I think it's hard for many of us to name our leaders at the moment. It has been a long time since we had a player who would grab the game by the horns and drag the other players along with him. They all seem to accept each other's mistakes when they happen on the field.

Watch the top sides, if a player makes a mistake, even if it doesn't lead to a goal, somebody is balling them out. We don't have a single player the rest look to during a game for a calming word, or a rocket when somebody needs one!
Tony Abrahams
19 Posted 09/01/2020 at 21:01:18
I think we have beaten Chelsea and maybe one other team with Schneiderlin in the team, so I’m not sure we are risking much by never playing him again. I’m not sure about Walcott, (results wise) but after creating a couple of good chances for us last Sunday, he went into his shell, just when we needed him to show us a bit of bottle, so I just don’t think either of these players would be missed.

Don’t think, is wrong, I know neither of these players would be missed, but maybe it’s better to say it quietly in case I sound like I’m shouting the odds!

Come on Paul T, you seriously don’t ever want to see either of them in a blue shirt anymore do you mate? Even with nobody else, at least the kids would put their body’s on the line, something we witnessed at Anfield last Sunday unfortunately.

Colin Metcalfe
20 Posted 09/01/2020 at 21:20:52
Peter#15 thank you I appreciate that, I just feel with so much shit going on and crisis at Everton over the last 5/6 years why would any young lad be even bothered to support the blues, I am just old enough to remember the Howard Kendall days but you have to feel for the younger kids who have had endure nothing but failure.