The Curious Case of Oumar Niasse

by   |   13/01/2020  15 Comments  [Jump to last]

Think back to the outcry as a result of Oumar Niasse on Saturday 18 November 2017 versus Crystal Palace (Away).

Niasse sparked controversy in the match by appearing to dive to win Everton a penalty, which was converted by Leighton Baines to make the score 1–1 in the first half. He subsequently became the first Premier League player to be charged with "successful deception of a match official" under The Football Association's new regulations and received a two-match suspension.

My first thoughts were the FA were looking for a scapegoat for the increase in players diving or going down to the ground with the slightest touch. After the decision with Walcott versus Brighton, would Walcott have committed a similar offence if he had actually gone down?

We are now over two years past Niasse's "deception" but we keep seeing players committing fraudulent falls with hardly a yellow card being brandished let alone a deception charge being brought afterwards. Perhaps, after the FA exonerated Michael Keane at Brighton, Aaron Connolly the Brighton player should have been charged with deception!

We have seen no further "deceptions" being punished after the media onslaught against Niasse. Why have the FA gone quiet?

A few years ago, Kuyt of Liverpool launched a nasty two-footed tackle against Phil Neville and failed! However, the referee Clattenberg failed to apply the law of intent to Kuyt's actions.

So are we to believe only successful deception and on-field violence are to be punished? Any donkey going down to claim a penalty is not guilty of any offence unless it would win an Oscar award for acting. Perhaps, Oumar Niasse should receive a Bafta award for his so-called acting skills. It seems clear that the logic suggests that not one player since has set out to deceive a referee again!

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (15)

Rob Halligan
1 Posted 13/01/2020 at 22:47:14
Trevor, the way I see it is this. At the time of the Niasse incident, it was seen as deceiving, or cheating the referee, to win a penalty, which was converted, and therefore we "gained an advantage" as a result, i.e scoring the penalty. I'm not sure, if Baines had missed the penalty then Niasse wouldn't have received his ban. As there was no VAR then, obviously no check could be made. Had VAR been in existance, the penalty would probably have not been given and Niasse would have been booked for diving, and again, would not have faced any further punishment.

That's why, I think we will never see the likes of a retrospective ban again for diving. VAR will decide there and then if a penalty is the correct decision (haha) or not. I think Niasse has his own little piece of premier league history here, the only player to receive a retrospective ban for diving.

Bill Watson
2 Posted 14/01/2020 at 03:24:46
Rob; the defender did make some contact with Niasse. Niasse made the most of it but the VAR ref would have awarded a penalty. (Like he did with the Walcott incident on Saturday!!!)

I recall the Glenn Keeley incident in the 0-5 Derby where he was sent off, early on, for pulling back Daglish (I think) when he was through on goal. The FA had made it a red card offence after an incident in the Cup Final involving, I think, Ian Ure who pulled back a player who probably would have scored,

The new rule was quickly forgotten about and I think Keeley was the only one sent off for that.

Alan J Thompson
3 Posted 14/01/2020 at 03:56:51
Now come on, Trevor! Next you'll be asking if Yeri Mina got his money back when, to their amazement, those who run the EPL found that some clubs were also advertising betting companies and even giving them stadium naming rights. Heavens knows what might happen if they ever see that billboard with Harry Kane's picture on it. And poor old Mina didn't even do it in this country or in it's language.

Got to go, there's something I have to look at in the opposite direction.

Jerome Shields
4 Posted 14/01/2020 at 23:58:30
This was a very strange incident, which has never occurred since.

It's remains unexplained to this day. The motivates are very suspicious at the time and will remain so.

Tony Everan
5 Posted 15/01/2020 at 09:43:08
Its seems to me that when things are 50/50, for Everton they are 40/60.
Andrew James
6 Posted 15/01/2020 at 14:44:31
I am sick to death of watching our neighbours getting these decisions or not and then no card. If the ref isn't giving what the attacker was hoping would be a free kick or penalty then why aren't they being punished? Same with Dele Ali. The amount of times he's gone down, appealed and the ref has shrugged it off! Once the player has appealed, he's attempting to deceive and should get a card right there if the ref doesn't see a foul.

The Niasse incident struck me as typical of the media and the FA at the time and I just went back and looked at the original match report on the BBC. It doesn't mention the penalty being controversial or a dive but then, in the filmed interview with Hodgson, he keeps referring to it being unjust and John Murray then asks him if he thinks it should be looked at by the diving panel at the FA.

One suspects without that, the FA probably wouldn't have done anything but regardless, this smacked of them looking at us and seeing an opportunity to look like they were on the case. We had no permanent coach at the time so they knew they wouldn't get hammered via the media Mourinho style.

The FA has shown this season that it's beyond contemptible. I am not condoning what Niasse did but I've seen just the same from other players and nothing happened.

Rob Halligan
7 Posted 15/01/2020 at 15:17:10
Arsenal appealed the red card for Aubameyang, given during their game at Palace last Saturday. Not so much so as to get the red card overturned, (they agree with the red card) and therefore no three match ban, but more the fact they feel that the RS Robertson only got a yellow for an equally dangerous tackle. Arsenal wanted the three match ban reduced, but have been unsuccessful in their appeal.
Ray Robinson
8 Posted 15/01/2020 at 15:27:05
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't a West Ham player (Lanzini?) also get a similar punishment to Niasse? Not sure if that incident is actually entirely unique.

Also, how can a red card after a VAR be rescinded? Where does it ever end? A review of a review?

Furthermore why haven't Salah or Mané ever been booked for simulation / exaggeration / deception? The latter, strong as an ox, has been felled by a "blow" my missus could have withstood without flinching.

That lack of a penalty decision against Walcott last Saturday still has me seething at the injustice.

Rob Halligan
9 Posted 15/01/2020 at 15:41:43
Ray, I remember a similar incident in Scotland, not sure if before or after Niasse, but I can't remember a West ham player getting a similar punishment. Not saying you're wrong though.
Ray Robinson
10 Posted 15/01/2020 at 16:05:53
Sorry Rob, not trying to be a smart arse but I had to look it up for my own sanity:

Mike Gaynes
11 Posted 15/01/2020 at 16:53:08
Sugar Ray #8, ease up on the seething. We won. Look at it this way, had the pen been properly given, it would have altered the path of the game. And who knows, we might have lost it. We gifted them enough chances in the second half.

I only seethe about bad calls that actually cost us points.

Ray Robinson
12 Posted 15/01/2020 at 17:25:26
Mike, you're right. I am more annoyed still about the VAR penalty decision at Brighton. No, the real reason for the prolonged annoyance with the Walcott incident is that the FA missed an opportunity to deter Niasse-type diving. I hate cheating, but I now better understand why some players are more inclined to throw themselves to the ground.
Mark Murphy
13 Posted 15/01/2020 at 17:52:41
My problem with the Walcott penalty is that VAR was correctly used and showed it was a clear penalty and yet the human being using it decided that in his opinion it wasn’t a penalty. So even IF VAR is using the letter of the law it’s still being over ruled by people who may have ulterior motives. Why hasn’t anyone asked the VAR ref from last Saturday to explain his decision?? He should be challenged on it at least!
Brian Wilkinson
14 Posted 17/01/2020 at 10:08:48
Ray@10 you are correct mate, to my mind there have only been two players punished, I know the other was for West Ham, could not remember a player, but I know it was a West Ham player.

Both players outside of the sky darlings.

Dale Rose
15 Posted 18/01/2020 at 12:17:51
Consistency again from the FA. All of these strikers go down continually. Only two have been penalised from two teams that are not classed as the pundits darlings. The only way Sterling stays on his feet would be with a zimmer.