Unique

by   |   23/01/2020  10 Comments  [Jump to last]

Now here is a good one for ToffeeWebbers.

Until last Saturday, Moise Kean held a unique record for Everton.

However, he then lost it but gained another one on Tuesday night.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (10)

Martin Nicholls
1 Posted 25/01/2020 at 16:27:04
Tuesday - first player born this millennium to score for us. According to my 11 year old grandson anyway!
Dennis Stevens
2 Posted 25/01/2020 at 18:07:31
I wouldn't want to upset your grandson, Martin, but 2000 is actually the last year of the 2nd millennium & not the first year of the 3rd millennium - there is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar.
Brian Williams
3 Posted 25/01/2020 at 18:20:21
Martin, is that Ted or have I got the wrong Martin?

And with regard to him being wrong.

Dave Williams
4 Posted 28/01/2020 at 16:53:01
Give us the answer Phil- I haven’t a clue!
Phil (Kelsall) Roberts
5 Posted 28/01/2020 at 18:34:43
If the pedants on here allow 2000 to be this millennium then

He was the first player born this millennium to play for us in the Premier League.

He lost that unique record against West Ham when Anthony Gordon came on at Half Time.

He then gained the unique record of being the first Everton player born this Millennium to score for the First Team.

And if pedants like Dennis Stevens don't like it - how about the first player whose year of birth begins with a "2".

Dennis Stevens
6 Posted 28/01/2020 at 18:47:23
Nothing to do with pedantry, Phil, it's just that there really is no year 0 in the Gregorian calendar. Of course, the whole year numbering is man made bollocks anyway & completely meaningless - the whole thing could be superseded by a new numbering system in the future & that one would be equally meaningless. I honestly thought people celebrating the turn of the millennium a year early was no more pointless than if they had done so at the right time. I suppose these things have have whatever significance individuals wish to place upon them.
Mike Allison
7 Posted 28/01/2020 at 19:12:30
The ‘Year 0’ point doesn’t really work Dennis, as there wasn’t actually a ‘Year 1’ either, the whole thing was applied in retrospect to a slight miscalculation of when Jesus was born.

You’d be right if we were simply counting numbers, but we’re not. 1980 was in the 80s, 2000 is in the 2000s. It’s pretty simple really. It’s the cultural significance that provides meaning.

Dennis Stevens
8 Posted 28/01/2020 at 19:24:03
As you say, Mike, Year one was applied retrospectively, so it exists but it didn't at the time. Year 0, however, does not. So the point stands as regards the Gregorian calendar.

According to the Gregorian calendar, 1980 would be the last year of the decade 1971-1980 & 2000 would be the last year of the millennium 1001-2000, that's how it works. However, you can put the years wherever you want, that's fine, it's all made up anyway. As, I stated above, "these things have have whatever significance individuals wish to place upon them", be that cultural or otherwise.

Mike Allison
9 Posted 28/01/2020 at 20:08:05
Yeah I get it, but I think it only means something culturally, and culturally 2000 is the start of the 2000s. I think you get that too. For example, I consider this year to be the start of the ‘20s’, and that’s not because I can’t count, it’s just more meaningful to talk that way.
Dennis Stevens
10 Posted 28/01/2020 at 20:23:36
Yeah Mike, I get that people view it that way. I don't agree, but I'm not arsed as it's all just stuff made up by man anyway & therefore subject to change by man in the future. Perhaps at some point in the future the Gregorian calendar will be superseded & somebody will tell us that this year wasn't 2020 but 15043, or 117, etc. It's just a number in the end.