Marcel Brands – The Architect

by   |   20/02/2020  25 Comments  [Jump to last]

There was an excellent programme on last night on Sky Premier League, 402, at 6-30pm.

It was in a series called Premier League World, and this one was called ‘The Architect’. It was about the career of Marcel Brands, and it is thoroughly enjoyable. It lasts about 30 minutes.

It didn’t have the usual Sky gobshites on it, but featured Van Gaal, Jol, Cocu, Van Nistelrooy, plus the senior guys at AZ Alkmaar, PSV, and others. It also had Ancelotti, and players, like Bernard, Richarlison, Mina.

It gives a decent insight into how this guy works and how highly he is rated.

It’s on again tonight at 7-30. If you get the chance, watch it.

It’s also on at 9-30 tonight and 10-00 tomorrow night

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (25)

Geoff Williams
1 Posted 19/02/2020 at 20:21:21
It was a really interesting programme about Marcel Brands. I have changed my mind about him and think he is the right man to take us forward.
Chris Williams
2 Posted 20/02/2020 at 16:23:44
There have been a couple of articles in the Echo today, quoting extensively from the programme.
Mike Williams
3 Posted 20/02/2020 at 21:56:34
Just watching it now. Excellent program, really gives you an insight about how the players feel about him and what he's done to make them feel welcome and part of the team.

If you've not seen it, then you really should put some time aside to see one of the repeats!!

Frank Wade
4 Posted 21/02/2020 at 00:44:28
Thanks, Chris, for the heads-up. It's tomorrow at 10pm for me.
Ron Marr
5 Posted 21/02/2020 at 03:40:01
It's available on the NBC Sports app in the US. Things are looking up for the Blues. I had forgotten Brands had worked with Louis van Gaal and Martin Jol.
Keith Edmunds
6 Posted 21/02/2020 at 04:44:45
Optus Sport in Oz.
Derek Knox
7 Posted 21/02/2020 at 12:07:39
Thanks for the 'heads up' on this programme Chris, I will endeavour to catch it later, unfortunately I have no taping facility to record it, but no doubt it will be repeated (as many Sky progs are) if I miss it.
Chris Williams
8 Posted 21/02/2020 at 13:49:46
I think it’s repeated over several days Derek. Both during the day and of an evening

8-00 tonight
10-00 tonight
8-00 tomorrow morning

Can’t see it after that, but it may return

Michael Williams
9 Posted 22/02/2020 at 11:02:56
The show about Marcel Brands is now on NBCSN.
Derek Knox
10 Posted 22/02/2020 at 11:08:37
Michael, thanks for that just happened to log on to site and saw your post, then flicked through my IPTV and got it, missed the first five minutes or so.
Michael Williams
11 Posted 22/02/2020 at 12:00:47
Derek - Those first few minutes were part of an interview with Marcel and his younger brother. They talked about how they have always been and still are best friends. The younger wears glasses and would get bullied at school when they were kids. Marcel would fight the bullies to protect his younger brother.
David Cooper
12 Posted 24/02/2020 at 16:09:38
Anyone got a link to the Marcel Brands documentary on Sky Premier League World? I went to the programme but there are hundreds of short interviews. Thanks!
Chris Williams
13 Posted 24/02/2020 at 16:55:44
This programme is still available on Catch Up TV, under Sky Sports. Football. Premier League.

It’s available for download until Wednesday.

Gareth Clark
14 Posted 25/02/2020 at 07:41:05
It's pretty simple.

We need to buy players in key areas – not a lot of signings... but GOOD signings.

Centre-Back: Zouma, Ake, AN Other
Centre-Mid: Allan, Soumare, AN Other
Right Wing: Everton, Lozano, AN Other

Simon Harrison
16 Posted 26/02/2020 at 00:06:23
Hi everyone,
I found a version of this documentary on this link;

It is the original Sky Premier video, and is complete. Also free to watch with nothing to do but click to view.

Good wishes all.

Link

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

17 Posted 28/02/2020 at 17:50:38
WOHOO!!!

For those yet to see the documentary, finally, a link that actually works and is of top quality. It's on YouTube:

Link

Chris Williams
18 Posted 28/02/2020 at 17:59:56
Jay,

It’s good to see how he goes about his work and how highly regarded he is. It’s hard to get a measure of someone in 30 minutes, but I felt at the end of it we had a good man in the job.

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

19 Posted 28/02/2020 at 18:25:18
WOW! I agree with you Chris, having just watched it.

Huge endorsements from some very big names in football: Martin Jol (really funny how persistent Brands was in recruiting him to a small club), Luis Van Gaal, Carlo Ancelotti, plus many others he worked with.

I would like more recruitment of cheaper raw diamonds from Brands, but I'm left with a very positive impression of the man. Stick with him and Carlo, get the new stadium built, and maybe, just maybe, we can start to dream big again.

Chris Williams
20 Posted 28/02/2020 at 18:45:30
Please God you’re right Jay. I’d like to experience that again, even once more. My sons, who are in their 40s, for the first time since they were little, and my grandson who is six on Thursday, for the very first time. His first visit was to Goodison this season. Sheffield Utd!

I’d like him to take his children and grandchildren to the new stadium in 70 years time.

Brands also talked Van Gaal out of resigning too. I agree with the rough diamond players, and some of our own youngsters.

Ancellotti and Brands should make a brilliant team. No ego visible, and professionals.

You get the feeling that things are starting to get professional, serious and starting to crank up a gear behind the scenes. Getting Unsworth and his team fully integrated.

Fingers and everything crossed

Jay Wood
[BRZ]

21 Posted 28/02/2020 at 18:48:59
Another good video to watch put up on Everton TV Chris is a compilation of every touch on the ball Andre Gomes made on his return v Arsenal.

Link

Really impressive.

Chris Williams
22 Posted 28/02/2020 at 18:53:43
I look forward to watching that Jay. I like Gomes.
Steve Shave
23 Posted 28/02/2020 at 19:10:25
Thanks for posting that Jay, I really enjoyed it. I LOVE Gomes, he looked class, understandably trepidatious at times, but class.

The two 60-yard raking passes to Richarlison in particular, not to mention the 'bomb' he dropped over the backline at the end, also to Richarlison. What a player... and he will have taken confidence from that performance.

I think he will thrive under Carlo. I'm probably being overly optimistic as per usual but I got very excited by the thought of Gomes, Bernard, Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin playing to form.

Brent Stephens
24 Posted 28/02/2020 at 19:13:51
Steve, those Gomes passes alone were worth the ticket price. It's because of moments like that we keep going.
Chris Williams
25 Posted 29/02/2020 at 10:21:20
Great link, thanks, Jay.

Wait until he gets his match fitness!

Francis van Lierop
29 Posted 09/03/2020 at 16:48:41
Thanks Jay, for putting up the link.

Steve Ferns asked me a while ago to write up a story about Marcel. I wanted to call RKC Waalwijk, the club where Marcel played, and started his career after his playing days, about his upbringing.

There's no need now, his father and brother featured, as well as Ben Mandemakers, the sponsor of the club (and huge presence behind the scenes).

For me, nothing really new, but a very pleasant insight into the person (Marcel) and background.