Your greatest moment

by   |   15/03/2020  100 Comments  [Jump to last]

In this time of gloom, I have been trying to think of something to post to bring a smile.

What is your greatest moment as an Evertonian? Mine is easy. I was living in Glasgow. Everton were playing Wimbledon, and we were relegated, there was no doubt. I had turned the radio off.

I went over to to to my local grocer, Masud, to buy a bottle of cheap Scotch. He came round the counter shouting "My friend, my friend, you are saved!!" I hugged him, as seemed appropriate, given his new interest in my spiritual well-being. Then he described what had unfolded. Joy, pure joy. More hugging...

To me, that moment beat them all.

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (100)

Tony Abrahams
1 Posted 16/03/2020 at 07:36:12
I was in New-Zealand then Andy, middle of the night, I couldn’t even move when Stuart got the winner, in case I lost my signal on the old BBC Worldservice, which I’d done a little bit earlier when Horne, had scored his screamer.

For a live game, Bayern Munich, is the obvious choice, on a night full of absolute joy, when Everton’s crowd was actually heard over six miles away from the stadium.

What a night, I hope Goodison has a few more, before we say our goodbyes and move to our new home!

John Raftery
2 Posted 16/03/2020 at 09:42:58
Thanks Andy, always a good question. I find this is like being asked to name a favourite record. It can change from time to time. I would go for Colin Harvey’s goal against West Brom on 1st April 1970. Apart from the fact he dribbled past three players and hammered his shot into the top corner from twenty five yards, it gave us a 2-0 lead and sealed the championship. The celebrations among those of us standing in the middle of the Street End were special but that was a night when for once the whole ground let themselves go and joined in the singing.

A very close runner up would be Adrian Heath’s 117th minute winner in the 1984 FA Cup semi-final at Highbury. Having specialised in the disappointment of losing games to late goals over many years, for us to win with a late goal was very special. No wonder Howard told the coach driver to take his time on the journey home.

Derek Thomas
3 Posted 16/03/2020 at 10:10:06
I've got two I can't separate. Both with Alan Ball both in the 60s, both Vs the rs

First; August Bank Holiday 1966. A week or so before we been totally underwhelming and were lucky to get nil in a 0-1 Charity Shield game. Although we did get to see the Jules Rimet World Cup, The FA Cup and the old (proper) 1st Div trophy.

Ball was signed and with some team changes, proceeded to rip them a new one, seemingly on his own.

Second; The 1967 FA Cup game with the screens at their place. The game was hard fought and well won by Alan Ball scoring from an acute angle...the crowd went wild - then tried to get home.

It was chaos, the Corpy put extra buses on, but 104,000 people, half of one red set of fans trying to go in the opposite direction to half of the blue set - and the same in the other direction = grid lock.

We ran, walked, ran, walked down Scottie into town with stops on the way for beer, then toilets and more beer. We finally ended up in the pub opposite central station. It was still going strong when we bailed to get the last bus at midnight.

Also, an honourable mention for the game Vs Spurs when Alex headed his famous goal. We were right on the wall behind the Gwladys St goal, having been first in when they opened the gate at 12.00.

I know what the official attendance was and I've been in bigger before and after. I think more got in than stated. But being on that wall I've never felt pressure like it.

John G Davies
4 Posted 16/03/2020 at 10:37:15
Like all of us the highs and the lows are part of being a Blue.
From taking 24 hours to get to the Bayern away, hitch hiking as a kid after getting the bus to the lancs on a Friday night (no M62 in them days)
Bunking the special trains back home.

Amongst all that the one memory that sticks out is the 84 cup final.
Back in the big time.
As Abide With Me played I became aware of an elderly man standing next to me. Ramrod straight back standing to attention with tears rolling down his face.
Very, very special moment

Tim James
5 Posted 16/03/2020 at 11:07:15
David Smallman’s goal against Sheffield Utd - I’d found a new hero. The final result is for the worst moment thread!
Stan Schofield
6 Posted 16/03/2020 at 12:11:02
Tim, was that the goal he scored on his debut at Goodison, at the Gladwys St end? That was a cracker, very cleverly clipped into the net from a first-time chest-level touch from what I recall. Having said that, I can't remember him doing much after that.

The greatest moment for me was securing the 69-70 title against West Brom at Goodison, with the team being presented with the trophy on the Goodison Rd stand, and my Dad and me, who were on the Goodison Rd terraces at the front, ending up on the pitch.

Tim James
7 Posted 16/03/2020 at 12:35:07
Hi Stan, yes short highlights available on youtube. Smallman didn’t do great after that. I think injuries got in the way of his progress. For me, as young lad who had not been to many games, the goal was a moment to cherish!
Rick Tarleton
8 Posted 16/03/2020 at 13:52:29
Derek Temple's run and goal in 1966 in the cup final. From 0-2 down to that goal and to win 3-2. I was in G64 at the old Wembley, Tommy Eggo was just ahead of us and at half time a bloke in front of us got on his knees and prayed very loudly. We all laughed, but it worked.
My family went back to Liverpool, but I went to Trafalgar Suare and joined several hundred other blues in the fountains. What a day!
John McFarlane Snr
9 Posted 16/03/2020 at 16:01:42
Hi John [2],

Like yourself, I find it hard to select one stand-out moment, as there have been many. FA Cup victories, League Championships, the night in Rotterdam, and any win over Liverpool,

But if I had to pick out my 'Greatest Moment' it would have to be the April evening in 1954, when I stood on the pitch at Boundary Park, and saw Peter Farrell crying tears of emotion. He addressed the supporters and said, "I was captain when we were relegated, and I was determined to be captain when we won promotion."

Hi Tim [5],

If you're looking for 'worst moments', I can start the ball rolling by nominating the 6-0 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday, when we only needed a point to escape relegation. Although at the age of 13, I didn't attend the game, it caused me a lot of grief, and my Dad being a non football individual, thought that taking me to the 'Pictures', the Clubmoor actually, would ease my pain. How wrong could he be, 'God rest his soul'.

John Raftery
10 Posted 16/03/2020 at 16:18:31
Hi John (9) Worst moment for me would be losing the 1986 FA Cup Final after leading 1-0, closely followed by the last minute defeat in the 1969 semi-final against Manchester City at Villa Park. There have been too many desperately disappointing moments over the years.

PS I trust your wedding anniversary celebrations went well John. Coincidentally my wife and I celebrated ours yesterday. We are eleven years behind you.

John McFarlane Snr
11 Posted 16/03/2020 at 17:26:56
Hi John [10],

I was at both games you mention, and yes they were moments to forget. Unfortunately for you, it's harder to do so. We'll never know what Gary Stevens was thinking, there's no guarantee that we would have won that day, but that certainly was a game-changer.

I was at the Holte End for the semi-final, Tommy Booth scored at the far end. I felt at the time that Howard Kendall wasn't fit enough to play, but what's my view got to do with it? The thing that sticks in my memory is reading the following day that Tommy Booth's girlfriend's surname was Royle.

Paul Ferry
12 Posted 16/03/2020 at 18:26:19
Great Idea Andy to soften some of the doom and gloom. Although on gloom my worst moment was the 1982 Rush/Keeley 0-5. The day started off well in the Bierkeller on Mount Pleasant. After that, it was all darkness and that ugly twat’s face after he knocked another one in at the Street End. One bit of good news what that I was so hammered I thought it was 0-6 and was made up to get to the old Prince of Wales on Stanley Road and hear that it was ‘only’ 0-5. Thomas Maine Road is up there.

Best moments … That’s so tough. How about every away match with the lads by plane, train, the special, ferry, coach, car, van, hitching. Lived for those days. Some of the greatest laughs and camaraderie and looking out for each other.

But for a match it has to be minute 117 at Highbury in the semi-final v Southampton 14 April 1984. Reidy on the free kick; deft nod-on from Degsy; Inchy jumped six foot for that goal. I was at Rotterdam, the Wimbledon game, the Andy King derby, Bayern, Carrow Road ’87, the Spurs semi-final etc. But that goal at that moment in that match for us starved blues was pure magic. Anyone else lose a trainer on the pitch.

Tony Abrahams
13 Posted 16/03/2020 at 18:47:48
Too many bad memories have come from the other crowd, scarred as a child by the Glenn Keeley Derby, the three cup finals, and the semi final Moyses boys, were just to scared to go and win.

I think the only time we were not robbed was the Hillsborough final, but not just by referees, more often than not by ourselves?

The next time we win is definitely going to be the best time though. I can’t wait to see real joy on Evertonian faces once again, and it’s what keeps me going, even if it’s been way to bloody long.

Michael Lynch
14 Posted 16/03/2020 at 19:07:15
My greatest moment is easy; it's the first time I went to Goodison. My father took me, to the Upper Bullens because he had a workmate "in the know" who could get us tickets there. I remember walking up the steps and being overwhelmed by the greenness of the pitch and the blueness of the sky, the fragrant aroma of pipe tobacco, and the less fragrant aroma of stale beer fumes and BO. It was the 68/69 season and, yes, the Holy Trinity played and we won 4-0.

My father died a couple of years back and, in the eulogy, I spoke about that day. And how I now have a season ticket right where we sat at my first game. To be honest, he wasn't a great football fan, which makes it even more special that he took me because he knew how much I wanted to go. I always think of him when I walk up into the Upper Bullens. Same green grass, same blue sky, no pipe tobacco now but plenty of stale ale and BO whiffs. It still gives me shivers down my spine.

Kieran Kinsella
15 Posted 16/03/2020 at 19:29:49
Andy Crooks,

I remember that day well. It was my first Saturday working on my first high school job, Tesco's stocking shelves and my shift started at 3pm. My Grandad dropped buy the store with an update at 2-0 down. One of my mates was late for work and by the time he showed up it was 2-3. Thereafter, I kept going back to the freezer storeroom to load up on frozen goods as the guy who ran that show was an Everton fan from Glasgow. He had a tiny radio with really poor reception but he kept me informed up until the turnaround.

That apart I would say, my best moment was a week night in 1987 listening to my own, crackily, AM radio coverage and hearing PVDH had scored at Norwich to seal the title. I was little young to pay much attention to the title win two years earlier

Mike Gaynes
16 Posted 16/03/2020 at 19:46:20
Easy. My first day at Goodison. April 2017. An unexpected remission had give me the chance (and incentive) to make the trip after 32 years as a long-distance Blue. The ToffeeWeb ambassadors had set everything up for me. I cried when I walked in. I cried when Davies scored after 32 seconds. I cried when Rom and Jags scored. I cried when we won.

And then the great Kev Johnson arranged for me and Pete and Rob and Keith to go down on the pitch, and I put my autographed ball down on the penalty spot at the Park End and slotted it into the same corner as Sheedy's second free kick against Ipswich in '86.

The only better day I have ever had in my life was my first kiss with my wife.

Other than that, they've all been on TV -- Rooney against Arsenal, Jags' Derby equalizer, Oviedo at Old Trafford.

Joe McMahon
17 Posted 16/03/2020 at 19:58:07
Andy Gray two headers against Sunderland in 85 (got into ground a few mins late and were 1 nil down, me and my brother knew it wouldn't be for long. FA Cup Semi v Spurs 1995 ( we pisssed the media off for ruining the possibility of Klinsmann final. Sadly not much has happened since 1995 and nothing in the many Moyes years, but V Arsenal when Martinez was manager and Rom running riot (but I wasn't at that match).
John Keating
18 Posted 16/03/2020 at 19:59:25
Last game of the 63 season against Fulham
Cup Winners Cup Final in Rotterdam - well that whole week really !
Paul Tran
19 Posted 16/03/2020 at 20:05:30
10th October 1970. Derby County. My first game. I was six.

My Dad worked at the Echo, so worked most Saturdays, but he was off that day.

We got to Goodison Road, he got me a rosette, walked me up and down the road to soak up the atmosphere till the point where we had to go in.

I'll never forget walking up those steps to the Gwladys Street Upper and seeing that wonderful floodlit pitch for the first time. It's beauty stopped me in my tracks.

The noise, the smell of Bovril and days. And a Wagon Wheel at half time. Before that, we took the lead, I think it was Johnny Morrisey. I went potty, as did the rest of the place and me arl fella's eyes looked a bit misty.

Obviously, Derby equalised in the second half; the start of many years of disappointment and my first experience of proper, resigned mass swearing.

I walked to the bus stop on air. Walked home from the bus on air. Talked about it for days. It was like joining a family, or an initiation into a select society.

I'm lucky. I've seen us win Championships, FA Cups and the Cup Winners Cup. But I've never had a happier day watching Everton than that day.

A couple of years ago, I bought myself the match day programme online. When I opened it I burst into tears.
What a day that was!

Brent Stephens
20 Posted 16/03/2020 at 20:07:56
Peter Mills
21 Posted 16/03/2020 at 20:18:42
This is a bit of a long tale. My family and friends know it, but I’ve never mentioned it on here before. I’m doing so now because Andy Crooks once posted the most profound message I’ve seen on this site.

I started going to the match in the 60s wedged between my Dad and Grandad or brother in the Upper Bullens. I stopped this in the early 70s so I could go with my mates Jimmy and Ian on the Gwladys St terrace. I’ve been going with Ian ever since.

Jimmy moved to Southampton in the 80s, but I would still see him 2-3 times a year. The kind of mate where it didn’t really matter how often you saw him, just a really great guy and friend.

I stayed with him in April 2002 to see our match against the Saints. We were winning 1-0 when the Everton fans roared at the sight of a kid warming up on the touch line. “What’s all this shite, chanting the name of a kid they’ve never seen?” my friend asked. I replied “Jimmy, I’ve seen this lad play for the youth team. His name’s Wayne Rooney, he’s the next Pele”. “Bollocks”, came the response. Moysie never did make that substitution, he was never going to risk a 1-0 away win.

The next time I saw Jimmy was a couple of months later with Ian and another great pal, Mart, a rs. We sat in Jimmy’s garden with a few beers as he told us he only had a few weeks to live. He passed away in August 2002.

Jimmy died the day before I was going on holiday to Majorca. I wanted to cancel so I could go to his funeral but his family insisted that I carry on with the vacation. At the airport I bought a CD of “ The Rising” by Bruce Springsteen. It’s an album about 9/11, all about redemption and resurrection. Jimmy had got me into Bruce years previously, and one song “I’ll meet you further on up the road” particularly spoke to me during that holiday.

Given my absence at the funeral, all the lads decided we would have a proper wake for Jimmy a little later in the year. We arranged this for after a home game in October.

The day before that game I was travelling to work in Warrington. It was a grey morning, but suddenly a ray of sunshine broke through the sky and “I’ll meet you further on up the road” came on the radio. At that moment Jimmy’s voice said to me “Have a bet on Everton tomorrow”. I swear this is true.

I very rarely have a bet, and this was an unlikely wager. Arsenal had not lost for 30-odd games. That was why I was offered odds of 9/2, to my stake of £20. The bet seemed down as it quickly became 1-0 to the Arsenal, but Radzinski equalised before being substituted by the boy wonder in the 80th minute. 10 minutes later Goodison was in danger of collapse as Rooney scored THAT goal.

I stopped at the bookies after the match, picked up £110, met all the lads in The Bug in Crosby, told them the story, put the cash on the table and said “Here we go Boys, Jimmy’s paid for the ale”.

So, sitting next to Ian, in the Main Stand on the Park End goal-line, watching that shot bounce down off the bar. My greatest moment.

Mike Galley
22 Posted 16/03/2020 at 20:35:49
Love these sort of threads. I'm about to turn 50 and this has made me realise that I've actually been very fortunate to have seen so many moments that could qualify here!
I'm going to go for the 1984 FA Cup semi against the Saints. If I may, I'll explain why. Bear with me, this will be boring!!!!!
As a young lad, I had a worringly geekish obsession with the FA Cup. I could name winners, captains, goalscorers, losing finalists, etc going back to the sixties. This still comes in handy in pub quizzes even now. Don't test me though, I've already forgotten most of it.
Also, and I blame the RS trophy dominance of the 70s/80s for this, I'd convinced myself that I'd never see us win a trophy ever.
Dad took me to Highbury that day, and I genuinely believe there wasn't a happier kid in the whole world when the finall whistle went that day. I know we never won the cup that day, but that near 14yo blue knew that deep down we actually had!!!
Honourable mentions for the Final that year, Bayern Munich, the Sharpy Anfield derby, Spurs semi Final, and many, many more that, as I said earlier I (we) have been fortunate enough to witness.
Mike # 16. First day at Goodison is magical for us all. A lot more so for you I would suggest. Mine was in the mid/late 70s and was against Arsenal. Don't remember much of the game but over the years I've convinced myself that we won 2-0. No idea how true this could be though!
Steve Shave
23 Posted 16/03/2020 at 20:54:16
I've lived through much of the dross sadly, the dogs of war cup win has to be up there. The last gasp relegation saviour another. However, as a 12 year old watching the 89' cup final vs the RS when McCall's sublime second equaliser went in I went utterly fucking ballistic. I was watching at home in Suffolk and I remember crying with joy and being really quite taken aback by how much this team from far away meant to me, not to be on the day but a moment that never left me.
Mike Gaynes
24 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:00:40
That's magnificent, Pete.
Tom Bowers
25 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:03:43
So many to remember but definitely Ball's goal against the RS in the cup before a record 100 thousand fans and of course Colin Harvey's against Manure at Burnden Park with 11 minutes to go in the cup semi-final.

However, far too many bad memories that won't go away including referees like Clive Thomas.

Mike Doyle
26 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:07:58
Bayern Munich semi - final top of my list followed by the European Cup win against B Moenchengladbach ( first game decided by a penalty shoot out ).

Never been present when we’ve beaten Liverpool - But was at Maine Road in 77 when victory was stolen from us.

Barry Thompson
27 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:23:32
Andy King - October 78
James Hughes
28 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:25:44
1979 and Andy King's winner. 10 years without a derby win. The place went mental and the noise we made was/is hard to describe.

Real shame the fantasy live forum never happened,
My punt is we've just gone 3-2 up. DCL is sent off for a second yellow (nothing's ever eay for us) after getting his hat-trick and celebrating with the crowd. Pick your own ref for that one :)

Tony Abrahams
29 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:26:03
Thanks for that Brent, with every day already feeling much longer, I’d forgotten we would have been beating Liverpool about 5-0 now.

Great story that Peter, I’d forgotten how good of a day that was, and Everton never does leave us Steve, no matter how much we curse them at times!

James Hughes
30 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:28:56
sorry, fat fingers and no edit, 1978
Mike Gaynes
31 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:41:02
Thanks for the link, Brent. That was great.
John Pierce
32 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:43:30
It has to be Wimbledon for me. I spent every penny I had as a student in London and went to every away game and some home ones with the London supporters club.
The build up to that day, the train rides etc. I couldn’t not go in the insane belief my presence meant something. I even stood in the home end at Leeds watching us getting battered 3-0, don’t do lads! 😬 Almost went arse over tit in the top tier at QPR. The entire emotional journey built to a point of huge relief, dancing around Lime street hugging anybody I could. I was in the lower Bullens, right in the first row or so, when Stuart block tackled that ball, the crown on the pitch obstructed the view, surprise I only knew it had gone on when the ‘Street end went up and a 350lb walrus of a fella picked me up and squeezed me to death.
It’s the strongest memory I have, even surpasses the cup wins...
Jerome Shields
33 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:44:31
Andy, always wondered what happened to the Everton fan that kissed the centre circle spot at the end of the game.
Brent Stephens
34 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:46:12
Tony, that 1980's derby match that Everton streamed "live" tonight
brought back great memories. I suspect Everton will do something similar on each remaining scheduled game this season.
Rob Halligan
35 Posted 16/03/2020 at 21:57:49
I've seen many memorable games, and many games you'd rather forget. Going along the lines of Pete # 21 though, I'll never forget the Chelsea FA Cup replay when we beat them on penalties down at Stamford Bridge.

Rather peculiar game to remember, you might think, and it was. The reason it sticks in my mind is that my dad died the day before. I queried whether I should go the the game the following day, but the wife, my brother and a few close friends said I should go, as it's what my dad would have wanted. My first ever visit to Stamford Bridge was the infamous Kensington high street battle, which my dad took me and another brother too, but that's for another day.

Anyway, as we all know, we beat Chelsea in that FA Cup replay on penalties, and while everyone around me was going ape shit, I sat there quietly, tears in my eyes, looking up to the skies and thinking to myself, "thats for you dad, and thank you for being a blue yourself and bringing me up a blue!

Andy Crooks
36 Posted 16/03/2020 at 22:07:08
Wonderful post, Pete. I am so glad I started this thread so I could read it. Great stuff from everyone. What a club, what magnificent supporters, what memories.
Patrick McFarlane
37 Posted 16/03/2020 at 22:19:19
Like most it's almost impossible to choose a stand out game but highlights include my first experience under the lights at Goodison when Joe Royle scored his 100th and 101st goal against Stoke in a 2-1 win. Cup runs of 1977 although Everton ended up with nothing. Andy King and Graeme Sharp derbies.
1984 FA cup run when I managed to travel to every game - league cup final of same season when Merseyside cocked a snook at the rest of the country - how did that go so wrong in little over a year? Evertonians singing longer and louder in defeat at Maine Road after the replay. Golden October 1984. May madness in 1985, so happy with the exploits of Everton, so sad at the events of a fortnight later.
If I could experience one match over again it would be a toss-up between Highbury 1984 and Elland Road 1995 with the Spurs game just edging it.

Mike Gaynes
38 Posted 16/03/2020 at 22:28:08
Superb post, Rob. That's a wonderful story.

Andy, you done good today. Great thread idea.

Dave Abrahams
39 Posted 16/03/2020 at 00:01:53
Peter (21), just got in, reading this great thread, brilliant choice Andy, back to your story Peter, just lovely, sad and tells of how you never forget, ever, the lovely mates who have been big parts of your life, like you Peter and your mate Jimmy, I bet he often comes into your head and makes you smile.
Brian Wilkinson
40 Posted 17/03/2020 at 01:06:47
Lots of choices to choose from the cup semis and finals, the title winners, so I thought I would pick something unexpected.

We all fancied our team winning, with that I am going against the grain for this one. We were written off, hoof and ugly football all over the press.

So, with that, I am going for the Spurs '95 FA Cup semi final, we did not just beat them, we had three parts of the ground and stuffed it right down the media darlings' throats, tore them apart, with only a dodgy Klinsman penalty costing Southall and the defence a clean sheet throughout the competition.

The press, the Dream Final was torn apart that afternoon so, because I cannot put down the cup finals and all the great memories of Wembley, Highbury semi-final as I cannot pick a clear winner because there are so many, I wanted to pick one out that gets little mention.

John Pierce
41 Posted 17/03/2020 at 02:38:01
Brian,

I think my abiding memory of that game was disbelief, stunned we were that good. Several years later I've watched highlights and most of the game, it's up there with some of the games in the '80s. Unexpected but comprehensive none the less.

Eddie Dunn
43 Posted 17/03/2020 at 08:15:05
Brian, John, I was on holiday visiting friends in Ronda, Spain and desperate to find out the score (no mobiles with data back then). I wandered into a paper shop on the Sunday and couldn't believe the scoreline – I jumped for joy – as did my mate's little lad, who was an Arsenal fan, I took him to his first game. Didn't Amokachi get a couple?

For me, being at the game in Rotterdam was the greatest 24 hours and clinching the league at Norwich was good. Beating Chelsea 6-0 when Latchford got his 30 goals. One of the best games was when we won 3-2 at West Ham, and Baines hit those two free-kicks into opposite top corners and then Rom came on to head the winner, knocking himself out in the process. It went mental behind the goal!

Chris Williams
44 Posted 17/03/2020 at 15:26:25
In no particular order,

My first match on my 6th birthday, February 1954. Second Division, Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Dave Hickson. I don’t remember any specifics, even those I’ve quoted, I had to look up.

I remember the sounds and the noise and the smells. Everyone smoked, including my Dad (it did for him in time), who lifted me over the turnstiles, as his dad had done for him. Everyone worked Saturday morning those days, so they turned up in their work clothes, after having several pints of Walkers, Higsons, Bents, Threllies, beforehand. The primitive urinals I still recall. They got promoted that season, the Shite were relegated. Big party in our house.

The Wimbledon game, with my son on one side and a drunken Irish guy on the other, who kept saying Oh Jaysus every five minutes. A roller coaster, darkest despair to hope, to total elation. Hugging my son, hugging everyone except the drunken Irishman who disappeared at half time. Comments like Barry Horne, scored in his first game and now in his last game. Cruel. The atmosphere was weird, tribal, and kids in the trees in Stanley Park. There was anger after the game too.

Dunfermline in the Inter Cities, in October 62, at the peak of the Cuban Missile Crisis, another peculiar nervy detached atmosphere to say the least, and a filthy game which sort of played out by proxy.

Burnley at Goodison after Christmas 1960. Beat them at theirs pre Christmas, a good team then. We then hammered them 0-3 at ours, and did everything but score. Over 75000 there with kids being lifted over the heads of the crowd to avoid the crush and sitting on the running track. Three black smudges on the woodwork at the end a testimony to our bad luck.

So 2 o wins, onedrawnd one defeat, but the occasion was memorable if not necessa the football. That’s Goodison, that’s Everton.f

Tony Abrahams
45 Posted 17/03/2020 at 19:20:44
A lovely story Rob, I remember sitting on the tube after the game and this women, a Chelsea fan, couldn’t give Evertonians enough credit for the way they had backed their team that day.

She said her daughter stopped watching the game, and just stared at the away end because it was that good, and with over 6000 fans in London for a 12 O’clock k-off, I was sure we were going to go on a proper cup run, until I got inside Goodison for the Reading game, and instantly knew Moyes had picked the wrong team.

Paul Birmingham
46 Posted 17/03/2020 at 19:33:31
1987, Norwich away, the ticket didn’t arrive and a small expeditionary team set off in good time and train from Liverpool Street broke down, at Diss, so we spent a good couple of hours in a pub, got to the ground late.

We had to walk around the pitch perimeter and saw the other side of Norwich.

On the pitch after the match, and joyous mayhem.

Also like Rob, for myself, the 2015 Chelsea game and lunch time KO, and my dad had passed away the night before.

I’m convinced he told Jose Mourinho, where to go, before that game.

All of the superb stories, on this thread, are a joy to read in this terrible time for the world.

Brian Murray
47 Posted 17/03/2020 at 20:24:34
The Anfield derby in 64, the kop has just a few little pockets of blues compared to the sea of blue and white il never forget at the Anfield road end. When the 3 rd goal went in I have never seen an end empty so quick it was hilarious. That four nil day hard to beat.
Dave Williams
48 Posted 17/03/2020 at 21:15:42
1984 at Anfield not only for the fantastic goal but the way the players celebrated it. It seemed that was when we knew we were better than them.
Close to that was 5-0 in the same year v Man Utd and 3-2 v Bolton with a hat trick from Duncan who went to war on them that day.
Oh, and 2-0 at Anfield in 1970. I had a ticket for the kop ( my spellcheck came up with “loo” instead of kop which is pretty apt!!)- can’t recall how I got that and I tied my blue scarf round my waist underneath my jacket and managed to swap the ticket outside the “loo” for one in the Anfield Road end. Out came the scarf and 90 minutes of sheer joy followed made especially sweet having witnessed them stuffing us 3-0 at Goodison earlier in the season.
Paul Birmingham
49 Posted 17/03/2020 at 21:46:56
Dave a great choice, and that reminds me of that game too, plus the semis v Luton, Norwich, Soton, infact beating United, Spurs semi, quite a few Bayern away, Loads more but sadly all by gone times.

Hopefully soon, we will all get some great memorable days again.

Andrew Dempsey
50 Posted 17/03/2020 at 23:59:25
The Wimbledon game without question.

I was in the Gwladys Street. Seven lads from Formby, 15 years old. Posh lads, eh? I hear you say. Well, not really. We were football mad and always had been.

One of us went on to play for Everton, and England (once); Bally (Michael Ball) was there with us. We rarely all went the game together, usually only ever 3 or 4 at most, but today was serious, so we all met up and set off well early.

Getting to the ground at about 12:30 pm, it was ridiculously busy. Trying to get in the Gwladys Street was a full-on crush, and aggression was required to force your way in. I remember people being pushed back right into the mini-front gardens of the houses behind.

Once inside, the singing began well before kick-off, it was intense, we simply weren't going to let Everton go down, and everyone felt it, we were playing our part. I've never felt such an emotional rush of being within a crowd of people, all wanting the same thing, all still believing and never giving up hope, even at 0-2 down. I've been to Glastonbury a few times and seen many great gigs and experienced some brilliant gatherings of people, but nothing comes close.

We all know what happened in the rest of the game. Everyone was stood on their seats for the entire game. When Cantona, sorry, Barry Horne, scored, I jumped up and my foot seemed to go through the plastic seat, as two massive fat guys fell from behind on top of me. I was lucky not to break my leg.

One of the guys, who we'd all seen buying four pies at half time (two for him, two for his mate) landed so his face was right next to mine, and I recall his mouth was full of pie, and it was wide open with him (and me) screaming in celebration, with bits of his pie falling onto me. He didn't care and neither did I.

Got on the pitch at the end, then didn't quite know what to do with myself. I remember Wilf (his real name was Martin Rimmer, another good player, played for Southport, I believe, I can't for the life of me remember why we called him Wilf) coming up to me with a big chunk of the turf, and I was like, "What are you gonna do with that?" He didn't have a clue.

I recall everyone chanting ‘sack the board', directing our anger at the Directors Box, but mostly it was just jubilation. I'll never experience anything like that at a football match ever again, I imagine.

It was extra emotional because my granddad had died a year earlier, and he'd made me the Blue I am, being born in 1916. He'd seen it all, and was always going on about Dixie Dean. He said the best player he'd ever seen in a blue shirt was Alex Young.

Darren Hind
51 Posted 18/03/2020 at 05:12:17
Pete @21,

That's some story mate. Loved it. Yours too Rob. So many others.

It's difficult to choose one outstanding moment, but I'm going for Wembley 95. My lad had attended games in the eighties, but wasn't old enough to remember and appreciate the glory years.

All he had really known was battles against relegation and abuse from RS school pals. He dreamed we would win, but I could tell all the way down that he didn't believe we would. The Mancs had become all powerful.

Once inside Wembley, everything changed. Roared on by our incredible support (even by our standards), we set about the Mancs. Anders Limpar decided this was going to be one of his good days. He sprayed passes all over the park. The "Dogs of War" were winning everything. As many of you will remember, we battered them that first half.

Second half was different, As we expected, the Mancs started creeping back into it. Chances began to come and we were beginning to creak. The pressure mounted and Big Nev was called upon to make some fantastic saves. The nerves among the mass blue ranks were being shreaded. It was kitchen-sink time and there was this awful collective dread of the late, late equaliser... Then came the moment.

United were throwing everyone forward in a desperate search for the equaliser. A ball was launched in. Big Nev came or it. It looked for all the world as if he had misjudged it. Then he reached out with one hand and simply plucked the ball from the air. There was a split second of silence before the massed ranks in blue let out one almighty roar. I had never heard anything quite like that roar, still haven't.

Southall stood with the ball clenched to his chest looking around Wembley as if he owned the fucking place. He knew we'd won the cup. The Mancs knew we'd won the cup and more importantly, my lad, along with all those thousands of Evertonians knew we had won the cup... It was party time!

Eddie Dunn
52 Posted 18/03/2020 at 07:58:11
Andrew- love the pie story. He could have choked to death!
Peter Mills
53 Posted 18/03/2020 at 09:42:55
Darren#51, you’ve captured that moment perfectly. If I remember correctly, Schmeichel had come up for that attack just to add to the drama, and Duncan and Amo might have scored a 2nd from the subsequent breakaway.

There are a couple of other moments from that day. The pre-match rendition of “All Together Now”, which everyone sang full belt. And the cheer that went up when Steve Bruce pulled his hamstring - shameful behaviour!

Dave Williams
54 Posted 18/03/2020 at 10:16:27
I would add the second Bob Latchford goal v Chelsea to get him to 30 for the season. Just before the penalty was given Mick Lyons had scored, taking the ball off Bobs head and the abuse Mick was given by the crowd and indeed Bob was brilliant. As he lined up to take the kick the tension was crazy- 5-0 up at home and tension like you wouldn’t believe( nothing like Wimbledon or Coventry but those days were years away and would have been dismissed as fantasy back then). Bob scored and you’d have thought we’d won the FA cup. That team could have won things- Lee was so close to having a great team but just couldn’t get there.
Peter Mills
55 Posted 18/03/2020 at 10:25:25
Dave#54 - and an elderly gentleman sauntered onto the pitch to shake Bob’s hand in the centre circle, and both teams and the ref waited patiently as he toddled off again.
Lee Courtliff
56 Posted 18/03/2020 at 10:30:41
Aug 17th 1996, one week before my 15th birthday.

Kevin Keegan's fashionable Newcastle United came to Goodison for the opening day of the season boasting their brand new World Record signing, Alan Shearer.

But he was completely upstaged by Duncan Ferguson, who put in possibly the greatest Centre Forward display I've ever seen live. Especially in the first half.

We won 2-0 but what made it special was that it seemed to culminate all the promise both we and Duncan had showed over the last year or two.

I clearly remember walking off the game and saying to my Dad, "we're going to be up near the top all season. Challenging!"

He'd told me all about the glory days of the 80s, the Back Pass, the signings of Andy Gray and Peter Reid, etc

And this was now MY time. No more piss-taking at school, no more relegation dogfight...we were back where my Dad always told me we belonged.

It was a great day.

We ended up avoiding relegation in the last week of the season thanks to Blackburn beating Middlesbrough but even so...the opening day was fantastic.

Tony Abrahams
57 Posted 18/03/2020 at 13:18:16
That last time we won the cup, has got me thinking about Ashton Gate, on a day I saw Everton get absolutely battered, only for Jackson to get us the winner near the end, and pandemonium on the terraces for an Everton crowd that was up for absolutely anything on that Sunday afternoon!

Coming out the aggressive Bristol fans were given a shock, when they realised Everton weren’t Liverpool, (they had played them the year before I think?) and then sitting in the car and drawing Norwich, and the start of our newest song.

“Going down, are we fuck, we’ll stay up and win the cup”!

Keith Dempsey
58 Posted 18/03/2020 at 14:25:52
Not really a stand out moment in ever tons history, but after many years of watching the blues away from Goodison, I saw my 1st match at home against Southampton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in 1987. We won 2-0 Sharp and Sheedy, but the whole from parking the car and removing the plug leads, paying to keep the wheels, having a pint in the Winslow and sitting in Goodison was simply magical. Correction the score was 2-1, Glen Cockrel.
Brian Wilkinson
59 Posted 18/03/2020 at 23:58:23
Andrew @5, I, along with other unlucky ones, were unable to get a ticket for that game, some did get in the demolished Park End wearing hard hats blagging as workers.

We get to the old box office in the corner of a Bullens Road where word got round Wimbledon tickets were on sale, the police twigged and game over. Then a van turned up with Wimbledon fans wishing to sell their tickets, a mass charge surrounded the van, rocking it, and again game over as the police again appeared. Whoever said never a policeman around when you want one?

Final option was the Stanley Park and shimming up the trees... seems the wise ones already thought that one out and not a tree to be had anywhere, so I had to make do with relayed commentary from the guys above.

One fan moved just that bit too far towards the end of the branch and came crashing down to earth. Ever the optimist, a fellow Evertonian was out of the blocks quicker than Usain Bolt, shimmed the tree like he had done it all his life collecting coconuts, and took the guys place in the tree. One of the funniest things I saw, the guy was bruised but only in embarrassment and at losing his speck.

When the final whistle went, we all climbed over the fence, crossed over the road and headed for Goodison, hugging everyone in sight.

Wayne Dinkelman
60 Posted 19/03/2020 at 00:19:16
16th of November 2006 the birth of my son Zack Everton Dinkelman, tears flowing down my face as I held him in my arms for the first time and the nurse asked what we were going to name him. Then him snuggled into his blue Everton blanket in the nursery amongst the other babies. As other fathers and visitors asked when looking through the window at all the babies, which was mine, the pride of getting to say "That life-long Evertonian born with blue in his veins, he is mine". By far the greatest Everton moment of my life.

Hopefully one day we get to see them in the flesh together.

Andy Crooks
61 Posted 19/03/2020 at 00:35:18
Wow, Wayne!
Jim Burke
62 Posted 19/03/2020 at 06:50:54
Absolutely love this thread!

Was a little too young for Bayern, so Wimbledon '94 takes it for me (seems crazy now that this is so close to '84-'87... at the time the glory years seemed like a very distant memory). Gwladys Street was full to the rafters well before 2, I remember Snodin running out to warm up and unbelievable noise coming from behind the goal. Kids in the trees, sun shining, it was very special, albeit in shit circumstances.

Other highlights over the years... Rooney vs Leeds (a) '02, Ferguson vs Liverpool (h) '94, Jackson vs Bristol (a) '95, Johnson vs Arsenal (h) '07 - hail lashing down, Radzinski vs Southampton (h) '03... to name a few.

Keep 'em coming, ladies and gents!

John McFarlane Snr
63 Posted 19/03/2020 at 13:20:41
Hi Andy, the postman has just delivered the book you have kindly given to me, would it be cheeky of me to class this as a "Magic Moment"? as it will help me to get through the three months "Isolation" period. Many thanks, and I've made it my ambition to share another drink with you.
Darren Hind
64 Posted 19/03/2020 at 13:28:48
Nothing Cheeky about that John. "Magic Moments" come in all shapes and sizes

A Lovey thoughtful gesture by Andy

Bill Gall
65 Posted 19/03/2020 at 14:28:40
Mine has to be Temple's goal at Wembley. I was lucky to get a ticket the 2 days before traveling. My sister worked for the Merseyside Police as a records clerk and was able to get one from them. I remember the game but from after the game to when I woke up in the car the following morning, we had parked at Swiss Cottage, there was a lot of blank spots.
Talking about tickets how many supporters remember going to the game on Saturday and after the game go out the ground and start queuing up, for a ticket for the next round of the cup being sold on the Sunday. we must have been nuts.
John McFarlane Snr
66 Posted 19/03/2020 at 15:03:40
Hi Bill [65],

I don't recall queuing for tickets immediately after an FA Cup game, to begin with it wouldn't be known who the opponents were going to be, because in those days the Cup draw wasn't made until 12:30 pm on the following Monday.

Secondly, very few all-ticket games were staged at that time, the one that springs to mind is the 1955 FA Cup game against Liverpool. I attended the Cup game against Manchester United in 1953, and I believe that was pay at the gate, the attendance was 72,920. with very little need for tickets, I think that, like a lot of We Old Timers, your memory is playing tricks.

Bill Gall
67 Posted 19/03/2020 at 15:48:24
My mind is not playing tricks John we queued up in the Bullens road Glady's Street end, it may not have been a cup game it may have been a game against Liverpool but I have just spoke to my wife who I didn't now then, and she says she queued up all night for tickets for her Dad, with her friend who wanted a ticket for her Dad. my wife's Dad was an Evertonian her friends Dad was a Liverpudlian. This was most probably in the mid to late 50s.
John McFarlane Snr
68 Posted 19/03/2020 at 16:12:50
Hi Bill [67],

I attended a reserve game and received a voucher for my ticket for the Liverpool game, and I also queued up with my uncle under the Gwladys Street stand for his ticket, which were as you say, sold on a Sunday morning. I read your post as describing the incident as common practise, if you're referring to the Liverpool cup match in particular, then you are absolutely correct, in which case please accept my apologies.

Jay Harris
69 Posted 19/03/2020 at 16:37:53
Bill,
I remember regularly queuing for tickets but I think it also was for the European games.

Bayern has to be the ultimate "buzz" but the 66 cup final and the Wimbledon game hold very special emotional experiences.

There is no substitute for the sheer emotion of being 0-2 down and coming back to win 3-2 in such important games.

Andy Crooks
70 Posted 19/03/2020 at 16:46:48
John, you are most welcome. Hope you enjoy it. Take care of yourself and your young lady. Let's make the next get together the best ever.
Dave Abrahams
71 Posted 19/03/2020 at 17:07:14
John (68), we attended the same reserve game, I got a voucher for that game, it caused a lot of bother with Everton fans who had gone to the away game, I think at Burnley, the same day, plenty of letters to “The Echo “ over that incident.

Bill (67), I remember queuing up over night in 1953 for the Bolton semi final, that was on a Saturday night, the turnstiles opened up around 9 or 10 am on the Sunday morning. I also queue up on a Friday night in Gwladys Street for an away game in the FA cup versus Port Vale that was about 1956. I also queued up at Anfield for the Derby v Liverpool on a Wednesday afternoon.

Bill Gall
72 Posted 19/03/2020 at 18:26:34
John no apologies necessary,, you are one of the supporters who's opinions are respected with your knowledge of support of Everton.
My attending both home and away games ended when I emigrated to Canada in 1976. since then I have been coming home every 2-5 yrs, planned always to be at the end of Sept into the beginning of Oct based on Everton's home and away fixtures. Unfortunately medical problems have slowed it down the last number of years, but gradually getting back on my feet.
Like most retirees I was looking forward to the Golden years but I missed them and ended up in the rusty ones, but as A.Schwarzenegger says I will be back.

Dave--- present day fans who can get tickets online don't understand what you had to do to be a supporter in those days,although I expect they wouldn't back away if things got difficult in present times. The amount of supporters thumbing for a lift on the East Lancs in 1966 was amazing when we drove down on the Friday afternoon. No motorway then.

John McFarlane Snr
73 Posted 19/03/2020 at 19:16:10
Hi Andy [70], you'll be pleased to know that Derek Dougan, has joined Pele, George Best, Danny Blanchflower. and Billy Liddell on my bookshelf, so he's in good company. I'm still looking forward to our next meeting, and "Colorado Iris"can do what she likes.

Hi Dave [71], the day we were at the Central League game Everton were away to Preston North End, they next played Sunderland and Burnley, both these games were at home. I worked as an office boy in a solicitors office on Lord Street at the time, and the boss allowed me an extended lunch break to collect my ticket from Goodison, that was on a Monday, I think I got mine in advance of the general sale, because if I remember correctly I already had my ticket when I queued with my uncle Tommy.

I didn't go to many away games at the time but I do remember going to Scincil Bank Lincoln City where we drew 1-1 and to Oldham Athletic's Boundary Park when we won promotion. I went to Bramall Lane for our first victory back in the top flight 5-2. over Sheffield United, I recall going to Maine Road with a couple of mates, Roy Clark was about to take a penalty when an old City fan said, "You've had it now lads, he never misses" needless to say he missed and the old man almost had a heart attack, we beat a hasty retreat, City won that game 1-0.

Another away day was at Huddersfield when Dave Hickson who had scored away from home but not at Leeds Road, was made captain for the day and scored in the first minute another 1-0 defeat.

Dave Abrahams
74 Posted 19/03/2020 at 21:50:39
John (73), thanks for putting me right over the Preston game. I was at the Lincoln City game, it was on Easter Monday, they equalised with a few minutes to go, Garvie I think, we had beat them 3-1 on Good Friday, I fancy Bert Llewelyn got one of the goals, played Stoke City on the Saturday, Jock Lindsay broke his leg, Inthink we drew 1-1,

Oldham that was my game to look back on, 4-0 up at half time, two more goals we would have won the league but Oldham with George Hardwick their player manager turned it into a kicking match, that year was the first time they sold the FA cup match programme outside of London, got mine signed by Johnnie Carey as he was coming in to watch that game, he was manager of Blackburn Rovers, if we had lost Blackburn would have gone up instead of us. How many Evertonians went to Oldham that night, thousand upon thousands, loads paying and loads going over the wall. I was an innocent young boy then, I paid, a night to remember.

I was on the pitch before that game at Huddersfield, right over to Davie Hickson, could smell the liniment on him, as you say he scored the only goal of the game, signed back for the Blues in that close season and came back to where he belonged..

Dave Abrahams
75 Posted 19/03/2020 at 22:00:35
Cancel that Bert Llewelyn goal, he came later, I think it was Gwyn Lewis, Welshman ( you wouldn’t bet against that, with that name) played inside left that day.
John McFarlane Snr
76 Posted 19/03/2020 at 00:04:06
Hi Dave [75],

Thousands travelled from Liverpool to Oldham that evening, it was reported that the East Lancs Road was blocked in parts. I went by train and I believe the station I travelled to, Clegg Street, no longer exists. You're right about the programme; I bought one. People have paid a small fortune for that particular matchday programme, Bolton Wanderers vs Blackpool – The Matthews Final programme.

Oldham had put pitch on the gates to stop fans from bunking in, the fans in reply had covered the gates with newspapers in order to scale the gates which were eventually knocked down. I know I don't have to tell you, Dave, I'm painting the picture for the younger readers. George Hardwick was playing on the left-wing in that game and he bullied Eric Moore in the second half, and it seemed to upset Everton's rhythm.

When you talk about Bert Llewellyn and Gwynfor Lewis, I can imagine some present-day supporters scratching their heads and saying, "I've never heard of them". Incidentally, that weekend Liverpool were relegated, losing at home to Cardiff City, full-back Alf Sherwood deputising in goal, not only saved a Billy Liddell penalty, he actually saved the rebound. "Happy Days" .

Andrew Dempsey
77 Posted 20/03/2020 at 00:41:07
Brian 59,
That’s gold!

Eddie,
He nearly crushed me.
I recovered though, and I had the perfect view of Seagars letting the third one in, thank God he did.

Dave Abrahams
78 Posted 20/03/2020 at 08:55:47
John (76), yes happy days indeed, what a night that was. It continued right from the final whistle to whatever time we got home. The station at Oldham was a mass of Blues singing non-stop, on the train all the way back to Liverpool. Definitely my favourite memory of following the Blues, amongst dozens of other great occasions, most of them already listed on here.

By the way, John, I think you got kidded if you bought the Blackpool versus Bolton programme, although you would have made a good few pound on it; that programme was from the year before. West Bromwich Albion versus Preston was the final that year.

Tony Abrahams
79 Posted 20/03/2020 at 09:04:19
If there was a game I could have gone to, I'd have definitely picked this one. It must have been special seeing Dixie Dean score his 60th league goal... But 40,000 Evertonians at Boundary Park to celebrate a promotion, whilst Liverpool were being relegated, what a summer you all must have had after that!
Dave Abrahams
80 Posted 20/03/2020 at 09:13:51
Tony (79), there was a piece in the Echo a good few years ago asking people for the special sporting moment they would have liked to have been at. A lot of fans chose the game Dixie scored his 60th goal.

That was one of mine, but I put it second to wanting to be in Harlem on the night Joe Louis won the world heavyweight title by knocking out James Braddock in the 8th round.

What a night they must have had in Harlem! I bet they danced that night and the next few away, after seeing one of their own not only been allowed to fight for the title but to actually win it.

Dave Williams
81 Posted 20/03/2020 at 09:34:09
Dave #80, that must have been incredible. I remember having breakfast before going to school in 1963 and hearing that Cassius Clay had achieved the unbelievable feat of actually stopping the fearsome Sonny Liston and that alone was hailed as a seismic change in boxing amid the rumours of the mafia controlling Liston. That pales into insignificance with a black boxer from Harlem even being allowed to fight for the title, let alone win it.

As you say, to be a black person in Harlem that night must have been wonderful and have given hope for the future.

Dave Abrahams
82 Posted 20/03/2020 at 13:03:31
Dave (81), that Cassius Clay v Sonny Liston was on TV that morning, the actual fight took place around 2-00am, our time but they showed a recorded version of the fight, as you say an incredible fight by Cassius.

When I said in my earlier post that the people who lived in Harlem then were celebrating one of their own I meant a black person, Joe was actually born down south and had moved to Detroit, but he knew all about segregation and had suffered from it.

John McFarlane Snr
83 Posted 22/03/2020 at 15:38:31
Hi Dave [82] Sorry I'm a bit late responding to your post, yes Dave that's exactly as it was, we played Oldham on the Thursday evening and the FA Cup Final between West Brom nnd Preston, was two days later Saturday May 1st. When this lad came around selling the Cup final programmes I really thought that they were for the West Brom vs Preston game, it was only when I read it at home that I realised I had been taken for a ride.

Perhaps you can help me out here Dave, did you receive the customary paperwork for the renewal of your season ticket? Like yourself, I respond when the forms arrive and pay by cash. I haven't received any paperwork at all, and when I e-mailed Everton, I got a reply saying, that someone would contact me within the next 28 days, a fat lot of good if it's on April 3rd.

I'm not too concerned for myself, I could walk away from football as it is today, it's not the game/sport that you and I grew up watching. It's Josh I'm thinking of, I pay for his ticket and have done since he was 6. He's now 15; missing the games would be a big blow to him.

Gerard McKean
84 Posted 22/03/2020 at 16:09:03
Sorry I'm so late getting round to seeing this, but I just wanted to thank you, Andy, for a great idea and at just the right moment in time.

I can't add a particular match memory as my favourite moments have all been more than adequately covered already. However, I would like also to thank those who awakened in me the memories of queuing around Goodison for hours and hours with all your vouchers stuck onto a blank postcard in the hope of getting a ticket for a big match

In 1966 my Dad and I had been to every home game and so had collected two full sets of vouchers to be able to qualify, if early enough in line, for two tickets for the Cup Final. For some unknown reason we had mislaid one voucher, no. 1 but as we had two no. 11's we scratched off one of those digits to make it look like a no. 1. Needless to say it wasn't the most convincing forgery you'd ever seen!

I think they opened turnstiles late afternoon at about 5 and as Dad was in the factory and I was in school my Mum agreed to go down very early in the morning and stake our place in the queue. By the time I got there the queue was 3 or 4 across and snaking virtually around the ground but Mum was in the critical first couple of hundred.

We got to the turnstile and I handed in my postcard for what seemed intense scrutiny and was so relieved and ecstatic when the guy said ok and I handed over the money for the ticket. He had checked the authenticity of the vouchers so thoroughly that I felt Mum with her dodgy no. 1 voucher would easily be identified and rejected. I stepped away and Mum, who loved Everton but went to very few matches, stepped forward to the turnstile for the moment of truth.

"Hello Madge", said the guy behind the turnstile, "what are you doing here?" It turned out he had served for 4 years with her two brothers in the jungles of Burma fighting the Japanese in WW2. Mum quietly explained the dilemma. Like some latter day Nelson he winked, closed his eye and said, "I see no scratching out."
Wonderful moment and my Dad and I were on our way to Wembley!

John Doran
85 Posted 22/03/2020 at 17:47:52
Great thread. The game I remember most is the 1966 Cup Final. Aged 7, when we went 2-0 down I couldn't take any more so went out to play football with brother. Just a little while later, one of my mates from school shouted us to come and watch as it was now 2-2! We got inside just in time to see the ball squirm under the defender's foot and Derek Temple race through on goal to strike the winner - still sends a shiver down my spine today when I think about it.

My other early memories were watching the FA Cup match in 1967 which was beamed over to Anfield from Goodison while standing on the Kop for the first and only time and also going on to the pitch the night we won the League in 1970 against West Brom.

I actually set up a web site reproducing matches from the great 1980s era in teletext format which as many of you will know was very popular at the time. You can find many of the matches mentioned above in there and sales of mugs help to benefit Everton Former Players Foundation. bit.ly/efc1878

If anyone wants me to recreate their favourite match in teletext format just drop me an email at john@retrotext.uk The database I have includes all Everton matches so I can go as far back as you like. Seeing all the details of the match (line-ups, scorers, attendance etc) might help to settle a few arguments - or start new a few new ones!

Dave Abrahams
86 Posted 22/03/2020 at 19:30:59
John (83), I was in the dark like you how to renew my season ticket, I didn't have a clue but my grandson is applying for mine tomorrow.

If you go onto a different thread headed - EVERTON LAUNCH CAMPAIGN TO COMBAT ISOLATION AND SUPPORT SOCIETY'S MoST VUNERABLE and go to Eric (29) and Brent (31) you may find that very helpful or some one close to you might, and they will help you sort it out, if you are like me John, God help you!

I hope this helps you to get your season tickets sorted out, especially for Josh, but John I know you are getting fed up with football, but when we get through this you will be raring to watch a match again, good luck and good health.

John McFarlane Snr
87 Posted 22/03/2020 at 20:51:06
Hi Dave [86] I thought my post [83] had been overshadowed by the more important matters under discussion, then I remembered that Josh's Dad is a Wizz Kid on computers. I'm waiting on a phone call from him, isn't it funny that sometimes the solution is right under your nose?

I always went to the ticket office and paid cash, it was a day out for me, two hours each way by bus. Now that I'm confined to barracks, my anxiety got the better of me. I usually paid as soon as the forms arrived, but this time the forms haven't arrived. I was more concerned for Josh to be truthful, I'm afraid that I don't see romance in the game anymore. As a matter of interest, Dave, did you receive your form?

Dave Abrahams
89 Posted 22/03/2020 at 21:01:04
John (87), I was glad to have been some help through Eric and Brent, hope Josh's dad does the trick.

No, John, I never heard a dicky bird off Everton, didn't expect to, to be honest. I always did the same as yourself and went along to Goodison and paid over the counter. We are two old dogs, John, who can't learn new tricks, well I can't anyway!!

Andy Crooks
90 Posted 22/03/2020 at 22:18:45
John, you will never walk away. You sit beside Josh as he gathers the memories to talk about in the future. I know saying he saw Mirallas's debut is not like watching Dave Hickson. But he will be able to say that he saw Duncan Ferguson turn the club around in a couple of days.
Our memories look bright, so will his, and sitting beside his old grandad will make them brighter.
Mary Coleman
91 Posted 22/03/2020 at 22:27:34
Duncan Ferguson's winner v Man U 2005. Incredible atmosphere and putting us into the Champions League!
John McFarlane Snr
92 Posted 22/03/2020 at 22:38:59
Hi Derek [90] deep down I know that you're right, I've met too many who have said, "I used to be an Everton or a Liverpool supporter" and added some reason for giving up, and my reply was always, "They'll only say that about me when the curtain closes."
Harry Williams
93 Posted 22/03/2020 at 22:51:22
The big mans performance v Newcastle 1996 he was fit and flying. The best performance I’ve seen from an Everton striker for a long long time he was unplayable.
John McFarlane Snr
94 Posted 22/03/2020 at 23:52:21
Hi Andy [90],

Apologies, the stress of the elusive season ticket is obviously getting to me.

Chris Williams
95 Posted 23/03/2020 at 00:20:48
Fans support football teams and go to matches, and argue and fret and search for information and travel more in hope than expectation and travel back in elation or despair in the knowledge that next week it will all be fine and great and perfect.

Fans support football teams in the hope of creating memories, pure and simple.

This entire thread is a testimony to that.

Peter Mills
96 Posted 23/03/2020 at 09:32:50
Gerard#84 - that’s a brilliant tale, I was getting tense just reading it. Shades of Gordon Jackson getting on the bus with Richard Attenborough in “The Great Escape” - “Good luck”. “Thank you”.
Tamhas Woods
97 Posted 23/03/2020 at 16:06:05
The 3-0 over Liverpool is up there, but not top - that would be very "small time" as it was just one inconsequential game in the grand scheme.

Probably the 2-0 over Newcastle that basically confirmed CL football in 2005. Beating Man Utd at OT in 2013 comes close, felt like a long standing curse had been smashed to pieces.

Shame the others are still in situ. Would have been nice, say, to mark the end of days with a first win at Chelsea since 94.

Mark Cuddy
98 Posted 23/03/2020 at 16:11:53
Sorry I’m late to the party. I've enjoyed reading your stories.

I don’t have one particular greatest moment because it’s like trying to pick my favourite film/album/painting, it all depends on what mood I’m in and there are just too many to choose from. But one game that changed my life for almost one week, was a mid-week game against Man City in season 1985-86. We won 4-0 and Lineker scored an hattrick. The next day, a mate of mine excitedly knocked on our door to walk to school and he told me I was on Granada football highlights. For the rest of the week, I was “somebody” in school. I felt like a celebrity at 15 years of age.

“There he is” they pointed and whispered.

“You was on the telly”, compete strangers told me.

It was superb.

Did they start a fan club? Did I get a girlfriend? Did they ask me to open a new supermarket? Did they ask my opinion on the topics of the day?

No. But for the briefest of moments I was a face in our school.

The following week, I was nobody again.

The highs and lows of being a Toffee.

Andy Crooks
99 Posted 26/03/2020 at 13:30:53
Brilliant story, Ged. Like Pete, I felt the tension. That scene from "The Great Escape" still puts a knot in my stomach.
Derek Thomas
100 Posted 26/03/2020 at 14:41:35
Ged @ 84; I was in that queue, having bunked off school on the Friday afternoon. I was 1 short and had to pay 3 times over the odds (1/6 vs 6d) for a programme in the programme shop on Goodison Road.

By the time I got there, about 2:30, the queue was about 4 deep and back to the Park End of The Bullens.

As they do in those situations a game of cards got started. Nap, this is a game with two kitty's and the money, even at a penny a time, with over bidding... Nap with it (the turned card) – Nap without it, can quickly mount up.

So I'm sat cross-legged in the 5 person card circle in my Collegiate Uniform... yeah let the lad play, you have to pay to learn, but my mis-spent youth served me well and I was slightly ahead... Then the line started to move.

Five players and a few watchers dived on the money... it was like a rugby scrum only with money instead of the ball as the prize. My young legs served me well, I came out with a good handful of silver. More than enough to pay the 7and 6 for my ticket, some chips and the 46 home and a Cup Final ticket.

Alas, my absence note forging skills were not on a par with my card skills, I was call to the VPs (Mr Woodwood) office on Tuesday and had to cough to it.

After giving me 2 on the arse, he said – did you get one? Yes, Sir. And I showed it to him. Was it worth it then? Yes, Sir. He just shook his head and laughed then told me to 'go away'.

Lenny Jameson
101 Posted 26/03/2020 at 15:39:49
Brilliant Ged (84).

My dad and I did exactly the same, only we had a full set each. Wasn't it mad the way we used to get 2 programmes for every game in the hope that we'd get to Wembley?

For the semi-final tickets, I'd bunked off and got there at about 9 o'clock in the morning. They weren't on sale til 6 so it was a long day. But so worth it.
We were in the open end a Bolton in that semi and I had a fantastic spec. The floodlights were in the terraces and held there by massive concrete blocks. Me and a few other kids were up above the rest of the crowd with the best view.

That was until Colin Harvey scored and two "Dockers" decided to join us. They restricted our view but we're a great source of amusement to us young lads with their opinions of the Man Utd players and their version of "We hate Bill Shankly," where the chorus was "And we'll fight fight fight for a little large white!" Brilliant. Although I had to ask later what a 'little large white' was.

Great days. But not my favorite.

That was when Alex scored the header against Tottenham. That's a story for another day.

All the best lads. Stay safe...

Lee Whitehead
102 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:34:09
My best & worst moment !!!!

FA cup semi replay @ Leeds v West Ham

Big Bob diving header - up on the railings behind the goal👍

Lampards winner 😪