Devastated

by   |   28/03/2020  172 Comments  [Jump to last]

Absolutely devastated.

“You will never believe who was born on your birthday.” My wife said.

During this coronavirus pandemic, we all had to look for things that occupied our time and my wife decided to browse “the years”.

Immediately I knew something was wrong.

What’s the worst thing possible? Judas? Hitler? Thatcher? I said, “Jurgen Klopp?”

“You’re nearly there.”

I said the dreaded words… “Shankly”.

She smiled in that way all wives smile when they’ve got one over you. I couldn’t believe it.

There was an inquest and when it was confirmed I phoned up my Kopite dad to confer.

“You’re in good company” he said.

I told him I wanted to kill myself.

Fucking ‘ell!

What’s the worst person who could share the same birthday as you?

Mine’s, fucking Bill Shankly – the 2nd September.

I wish I was born on the 3rd of September.

I’m 49 and have just found out that Bill Shankly was born on the same day as me – please kill me… or share the pain.

What’s the worst person to share your birthday?

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (172)

Paul Richards
1 Posted 29/03/2020 at 11:17:42
Given that there are only 365 days available (okay, maybe 366), and just a heck of a lot more people around than that, it is inevitable that you will be sharing your birthday with quite a few other folk.

The likelihood that this would be with someone you despise is quite high. Equally, the likelihood that you share your birthday with someone you like or admire is also quite high.

Suck it up, sunshine. In these trying times, is this really the biggest shock to your system? Sorry, no sympathy from me.

Brian Williams
2 Posted 29/03/2020 at 11:32:20
Paul, the man's trying to lighten the mood and post something to take people's minds off the pandemic, which is no bad thing for a little while anyway.

Don't be so mean spirited.

3 Posted 29/03/2020 at 11:32:23
Mark,

“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It's the way I see football, the way I see life.”

Bill Shankly.

I hope you feel a bit better!

Brent Stephens
4 Posted 29/03/2020 at 11:43:09
Paul #1 - I fear we might share birthdays!

"Gigliola Cinquetti, Italian singer, born in Verona, Italy" the same day as me!!!

"Who the hell is she?", I ask.

"Who the hell is he?" she asks.

Mark Cuddy
5 Posted 29/03/2020 at 13:56:58
Paul @1, it was just a bit of fun.

I think you need to lighten up a bit and take it easy.

A sense of humour is something that is sometimes missing from this website, now I know why with people like you and your "suck it up, sunshine" comment.

Wind your neck big boy and find something to laugh about. We all can't take life as serious as you do.

I suggest watching Richard Pryor in concert or maybe a Laurel and Hardy film. Most of all, take it easy and smile more.

Ray Roche
6 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:03:05
Gary Lineker and Winston Churchill. What a striking partnership they'd have made!
Paul Tran
7 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:08:48
Mine's April 8th.

Best is Joe Royle
Worst is Royston Drenthe

Andrew Ellams
8 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:11:35
I share with Bob Paisley but also Brian Labone so swings and roundabouts.
Rob Halligan
9 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:26:22
Mine's today!! The only footballer I know of who's birthday is also today is N'Golo Kante of Chelsea. I also share with the ex PM John Major, the comedian Eric Idle and Vangelis, best known for composing Chariots of Fire, for anyone who's never heard of him.

Jeez, what a miserable way to spend your birthday, stuck indoors with sweet FA to do. Could get absolutely smashed I suppose!!

10 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:27:16
I share with Jose Baxter.

For people of a certain age, Buster Crabbe, who was Flash Gordon in monochrome days, and Jock Mahoney who was The Range Rider.

11 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:38:49
Happy Birthday, Rob.

Enjoy every sandwich, as Warren Zevon said.

Brian Williams
12 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:41:48
I share mine with Don Johnson of Miami Vice fame and err Nero of debaucheries, political murders, persecution of Christians and a passion for music fame! Yeeees!
Bill Griffiths
13 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:46:37
Football wise I share mine (28 Feb) with Dino Zoff and Brian Moore (commentator), notorious wise Busy Ziegel.
Brian Williams
14 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:50:17
Bugsy Siegal perhaps Bill? :-))

Happy birthday Rob. just enjoy the fact you're here to have one mate .;-)

Mick Hoban
15 Posted 29/03/2020 at 14:53:48
Jan 18th and its Peter Beardsley & Pep Guardiola footy wise.

Then there's Al Capone, Oliver Hardy, Cary Grant, Danny Kaye & Kevin Costner.

Don Alexander
16 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:13:19
Steven Pienaar, serial killer John Wayne Gacy and small knob expert Stormy Daniels share mine.
John Boswell
17 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:35:04
I share my birthdate with L S Lowry, Jeremy Hunt and a bonny lass called Jenny McCarthy. This is fun, COYB.
Tony Abrahams
18 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:37:35
I've honestly just went for a walk around Stanley Park, Chris@3, and I saw that written on the side of this little kiosk opposite the Anfield Road end.

I know I should stay in, but I took one of my kids who hasn't been outside the front door for ten days, on his bike, and by sticking to the outside, it allowed me to show him the Dixie Dean statue, from across the road, as well as being isolated on the streets, rather than full of people inside the park.

My own birthday is remembered more for the assassination of John Lennon, and I could just imagine you driving along New Brighton promenade in a hatch-back, Brian, with a pair of shades on, one hand on the wheel, a desperado in the other, with that old Genesis classic blaring out your car stereo, “Singing I can feel it in the air tonight- oh lord, oh-lord” – remembering the time when Don Johnson really was THE DON!

John Hughes
19 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:44:49
Daniel Craig and Harry Redknapp. Unfortunately I’m more akin to Harry than Daniel. Ce’est la vie!
Dennis Stevens
20 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:49:20
Quite a weird mixture :-

Terry Venables

Clive Woodward

Nigella Lawson

Joan of Arc

John DeLorean

Syd Barrett

Sandy Denny

Malcolm Young

Rowan Atkinson

&, apparently, Sherlock Holmes - although the evidence is scant.

I think it shows you that people who share a birthday are highly likely to share very little else.

John Boswell
21 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:56:54
Discovered a couple of players, our very own Alan Harper and Rachel Yankey who were also born on November 1st. COYB.
Brian Williams
22 Posted 29/03/2020 at 15:57:25
Tony #18.

Much to my shame, mate, I actually had a powder blue suit (sleeves pulled up), grandad vest and espadrilles, worn when I frequented a certain Wirral club (which shall remain nameless on here).

Saving grace was that it was fashionable in certain circles back then. Despite the fact the ladies seemed to like it, I musta looked like a right twat. 😂😂😂

23 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:00:16
Tony,

It's a funny old world, mate. I got that put on a tee-shirt for my oldest mate, a Liverpudlian, on his birthday a few years ago. We've known each other over 70 years, and brought up together almost, in Walton.

Oddly enough it's his 73rd birthday today. He's in solitary in Spain at the moment! We're organising a Skype call tomorrow along with 2 more Walton reprobates, one in the States, one in Wales.

John Lennon, altogether a different memory.

Keep safe.

Len Hawkins
24 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:28:59
My birthday:18th March, is shared by Ron Atkinson and someone called Danny Murphy?? Pat Eddery and the best cricket commentator, "Bumble".
Eric Paul
25 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:33:06
I share mine with my wife which means I don't get one.
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

26 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:36:01
Well I'm smugly going to report that I share my birthday with some extremely fit lookers!

Brazilian super-model Gisele (married to American footballer Tom Brady).

Diana Rigg, the original Emma Peel of The Avengers.

Natalie Wood (tragic and unexplained end).

Sandra Oh of Killing Eve fame.

They are all invited to my next birthday bash (in their prime). The rest of you aren't.

Of the fellahs, I get Sir Edmund Hillary (curiously, I met him in person once in Nepal).

Alberto Santos-Dumont. Another Brazilian connection, considered in his homeland as the true father of aviation ahead of the Wright brothers.

I've got some cracking deaths also on my birth date.

Marconi who gave us the wireless.

Bruce Lee.

And possibly the best of the lot, James Doohan of Star Trek fame. 'She cannae tak' any mooorrre, cap'n!'

The best footy name I could come up with was the old Arsenal full-back, Bob McNab.

Mark Frere
27 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:38:15
Mine is December 2nd and apparently no Everton player, past or present, has ever been born that day! Most famous footballer I can find is David Batty.

Other famous people:
Gianni Versace
Brittany Spears
Nelly Furtado
Monica Seles

Patrick McFarlane
28 Posted 29/03/2020 at 16:50:19
Mixed bag of names: Al Pacino, Cruyff, Oliver Cromwell and a certain David Moyes.
Joe McMahon
29 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:03:17
Jessie Owens and John Lennon announced he wanted to leave The Beatles.

Unlike some I do actually admire Shankly and Paisley (Dalglish I can't stand) just as Ferguson, Stein and Clough. Their records speak for themselves.

Eric Myles
30 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:03:31
Leon Osman
31 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:29:21
Joe,

I’m with you on Shankly. There was plenty to admire, despite some of his public utterances. His tribute to Dixie Dean just prior to his death at Goodison, is a case in point.

Dalglish, a first rate footballer, a third rate human being.

Paul Tran
32 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:41:04
Jay #26, you got me thinking of who's died on my birthday, so I'll give you Thatcher, Pablo Picasso and Malcolm McLaren.
33 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:44:23
Paul,

One out of three ain’t bad!

Alan McGuffog
34 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:48:51
The great thing about Shankly are the comments he made about EFC in his latter years. Love throwing that at all the nouveau Kopites who've never been anywhere near Stanley Park in their lives.
Paul Tran
35 Posted 29/03/2020 at 17:56:53
Indeed, Chris. I suspect we share the same view of the 'one'!
Brent Stephens
36 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:12:59
No twins on ToffeeWeb?
Jay Wood
[BRZ]

37 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:23:57
Chris and Paul...and there's me with Meat Loaf's 'Two Outta Three Ain't Bad' song coming into my head. (As in happy recall of two of them, I hasten to add!).

Brent, now there's the theme of another thread.

Which TW posters could be virtual twins???!!!

(That one could get messy and involve litigation!)

Rob Halligan
38 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:25:32
18 years ago today (funnily enough, that was my birthday as well) we played Newcastle away. I think big Dunc scored within two minutes, but we went on to lose 6-2. What a lousy birthday that was.

Not as bad as in 1975 when we played Carlisle away and lost 3-0. A result that effectively cost us the league title that season.

Mike Gaynes
39 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:50:32
I share November 17 with only one footballer, Nani, but also with:

The heavenly Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (Vincent, you win one more game, you're gonna be humping your fist for a long time.")
Martin Scorsese
Rock Hudson
Lee Strasberg
Gordon Lightfoot
Jeff Buckley (his quintessential version of "Hallelujah" is on my phone)
The diminutive Danny DeVito
Rachel McAdams
Sophie Marceau (yum)
Lauren Hutton
Daisy Fuentes
RuPaul
Billy the Kid of Western fame
King Louis XVIII of France
...and for Yank sports fans, Tom Seaver and Elvin Hayes.

Paul Tran
40 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:57:11
Jay #37, if anyone out there shares my birthday (8th April), let's raise a virtual glass on the big day!

By the way, Jay, I don't know if you saw it, but there's an interesting Guardian article where Nassim Nicholas Taleb shreds 'herd immunity' and that blasted 'nudge tbeory'. I suspect you'd like his work generally.

Rob Halligan
41 Posted 29/03/2020 at 18:59:08
The oldest man in the world is 112 years old today. Don't think I'd fancy living to be that old.
Paul Tran
42 Posted 29/03/2020 at 19:06:37
If it makes you feel better, Rob, the oldest Covid-19 survivor turned 101 yesterday!
Brian Williams
43 Posted 29/03/2020 at 19:10:54
With the utmost respect lads let's keep this thread on track, let's keep it a small virus free area and one aimed at being a respite from the horrors.
Mike G, I bet RuPaul's your fave on that list! 😁
Dave Abrahams
44 Posted 29/03/2020 at 19:20:15
Rob (41), As the old joke goes “You would if you were 111!"
45 Posted 29/03/2020 at 19:37:32
Gordon Lightfoot,

Now there was a singer. Early Morning Rain, Sundown, Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Canadian folk singer.

Tony Abrahams
46 Posted 29/03/2020 at 19:50:08
A respite from horrors is a cracker Brian, I've got a picture of you looking like a Wayne, in Auf Wiedersein Pet, with that suit on, but what a show that was back in the day.

Had a cracking time in both York and then Newcastle remembering that game Rob, and with the only thing we have right now is our memories, I'd take a similar result tomorrow if I could just get away for a few days with the lads.

Mike Gaynes
47 Posted 29/03/2020 at 20:02:06
Brian #43, I knew you'd be the guy to mention it.

Chris #45, classics all, and I've actually performed Early Morning Rain myself with Noel Paul Stookey of Peter Paul and Mary.

But if you've never heard it, listen to this one, sort of the unofficial national song of Canada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXzauTuRG78

Brian Williams
48 Posted 29/03/2020 at 20:07:50
Happy times the mid-80s, Tony. I was single, well off, and the Blues were at the top of the pile.
Tony Abrahams
49 Posted 29/03/2020 at 20:15:28
I guessed you was single, by the clothes you was wearing Brian🤣🤐, but I have to agree with you mate, it was brilliant going to Goodison Park during that period, “singing and I could see you coming – from a mile off – in your pale blue suit”! Brilliant, Brian, I can't wait to buy you a Desperado as long as you bring a photograph, mate!!
Brian Williams
50 Posted 29/03/2020 at 20:36:46
Tell you what, Tony mate, you won't believe some of the photos are actually me. 😂.

From skinhead to crombie wearing suedehead to "new romantic" ffs, Midge Ure was my hero. The fashion disasters and styles are endless, but back then it was all good.

And if I could go back, I'd do it all again, mate, especially the trips to Wembley which we seemed to do every other season, sometimes twice in one season.

Tony Abrahams
51 Posted 29/03/2020 at 20:55:38
I could write a little book about Wembley, Brian, all the escapes and shenanigans, what-a-place, so many memories, and like life itself, not all of them good, but that was the old Wembley, a special place that I loved to go.

The new one's not the same mate, much more modern, but it just doesn't smell, nor feel the same. I hope that changes in the future, and more importantly, I hope I don't have a different feeling, when I “hopefully” get to watch Everton, in Bramley-Moore!

Everyone must be reflecting on life a little bit now, and when I walked past Goodison today explaining to my child who Dixie Dean was. I thought about him and Harry Catterick, two Everton giants who left for the gods with the special Goodison Park being their final port of call.

Andy Crooks
52 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:21:13
Brian, you never faced the Belfast problem. That consisted of going to Blackpool on holiday but being three years behind fashion.

I recall an amazing evening arriving (this was in the seventies) at Jenks disco in Blackpool wearing a green blazer with silver buttons, a panda collar shirt worn with the collar outside my blazer. The shirt had a logo of Acker Bill playing a clarinet.

Blue pinstripe parallel trousers and brothel creepers, I swear to God, the music stopped. Eyes turned, laughter ensued. My mate, who was dressed in similar fashion, said "Let's go, we've made cunts of ourselves."

Mick Hoban
53 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:21:36
Tony (51) Harry Catterick is buried about 200 yds from my house in St Annes on Sea. I walk past it often.
Dave Abrahams
54 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:33:18
Andy (52), when you look back to the seventies and the photo's of those days everyone looks like a stupid cunt.

One night I was in The Stags Head in Pembroke Place and two fellas came in about 50-odd years of age wearing suits from long ago, they really stood out.

My mate turned to me and said, “Do you remember them, Dave?” I didn't have a clue, and just shrugged.

My mate said, “They got done for murder and got life, they only got out the other day and those were the suits they were wearing when they got done.”

Winding me up, of course... I think.

Brian Williams
55 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:40:12
Andy your story made me laugh out loud mate. Classic!
James Flynn
56 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:42:44
Footy - Me and Rom (Wish we still had him).

Like others, my birthday has a long list of recognizable names. I'll stick to Stevie Wonder and Joe Louis.

57 Posted 29/03/2020 at 21:58:50
Mike,

Peter Paul and Mary were a life saver for a long time. They had hits with Dylan's songs before Dylan did. Puff the Magic Dragon!

They were one of the first musical residents of Woodstock, before Dylan got there I think, along with their common manager.

It must have been quite an experience to play that song with Paul Stookey.

Andy Crooks
58 Posted 29/03/2020 at 22:25:53
Geronimo.
59 Posted 29/03/2020 at 22:28:29
Mike,

They were one of the first musical residents of Woodstock, before Dylan got there, I think, along with their common manager.

It must have been quite an experience to play that song with Paul Stookey.

60 Posted 30/03/2020 at 12:03:14
I see that John Prine, the American singer and songwriter, is currently on a ventilator.

Once described as the next Dylan, when they used to appear regularly, he wrote some great songs. Check out Sam Stone and Angel from Montgomery on YouTube if you get the chance.

I hope he pulls through.

Julian Exshaw
61 Posted 30/03/2020 at 12:05:04
I share with Martin's Navratilova. Go figure! Anyway, I hope all you guys are well. Really missing our match day moaning which I have always felt has been good for the soul... mine at any rate. Best wishes and good health to you all.
Alan McGuffog
62 Posted 30/03/2020 at 12:08:59
Chris... love him singing "In spite of ourselves" with the sublime Iris de Ment. Positive thoughts go out to him.
63 Posted 30/03/2020 at 13:06:22
Alan,

I’ve not heard that one. I’ll check it out.

Great version of Angel from Montgomery with Bonnie Raitt.

Dermot O'Brien
64 Posted 30/03/2020 at 14:17:25
Ray Roche #6 you also have me brother!

We also have Mark Twain and Ben Stiller and a certain Peter Czerwinski! Who is that you ask? He's a competitive eater. What's that you ask? Exactly.

65 Posted 30/03/2020 at 15:16:29
It seems I also have Charles Dickens, which could explain a few of my Everton related characteristics.

I always have Great Expectations, but often end in a Bleak House. This leads to depression and me getting Oliver Twist.

Brian Wilkinson
66 Posted 30/03/2020 at 15:34:20
You also share it with Joey Barton, mate.
Brian Wilkinson
67 Posted 30/03/2020 at 15:37:40
I share mine with Simon Cowell, Putin and Himler just for starters mate.
Brian Wilkinson
68 Posted 30/03/2020 at 15:39:45
Could have been worse... just missed out on Thatcher as well by 6 days.
Dave Brierley
69 Posted 30/03/2020 at 16:04:00
Chris & Alan, thanks for the namecheck on John Prine who I haven't thought about in years. Used to love some of his music. So sad to hear the news and fingers crossed he makes it.

Just had a very happy hour listening to In Spite of Ourselves.

Phil Paulson
70 Posted 30/03/2020 at 16:13:29
Crikey, some of these sound like dinner parties from hell.
Ray Roche
71 Posted 30/03/2020 at 16:15:32
Dermot @64

I'm in exalted company then. You AND Ben Stiller! Who's this Mark Twain guy, muscling in on our act?😉 We'll have to remember to raise a glass on the 30th!👍

I remember being at Goodison on my birthday watching us stuff seven up Leicester who had a youngish Shilton in goal! Happy day THAT was!! 1968 memories!

Ray Roche
72 Posted 30/03/2020 at 16:17:30
Phil @70

Mike Galley
73 Posted 30/03/2020 at 16:52:09
I was born on the same day (29 April 1970) as Andre Aggassi. Unfortunately, as anyone who has played squash against me will testify, there was nothing mystical about that date with regards to awarding everybody with extraordinary racquet sport skills!!!

Also share a birthday (different years) with Daniel Day Lewis and Michelle Pfeiffer. Couldn't find any EFC players with the same birthday, But get this!

The 1933 FA Cup Final was played on the 29 April.
I'll take that.

Alan McGuffog
74 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:02:08
I drew Bob Dylan and Queen Victoria, who was named after the pub on Rice Lane. One is amused.
Brent Stephens
76 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:21:52
Ray #72 "Now THAT would be a good thread! Who would you have to your dinner party! Good or bad!"

Before you have a dinner party you have to have the staff. So, Ray Roche as wine waiter ("a cheeky little Denbighshire red, Sir?).

Trevor Powell
77 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:33:14
The best I can come up with for 31st July is Antonio Conte, with the embarrassing Paulo Wanchope at the opposite end of a not inspiring list.

However, for devotees of the ORIGINAL TOM and JERRY cartoons, I share with the legendary FRED QUIMBY!

Darren Hind
78 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:33:16
I was born on the same day as Teresa May.

We have nothing in common... I say nothing, but if she ever gets me up for a Jack Palance, look the other way.

Steve Johnston
79 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:44:56
58 Andy Crooks
Is that his birthday, or did you just jump off something very tall?
Ray Roche
80 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:47:17
Brent, I'd be a crap wine waiter. I'd be in the kitchen quaffing the red, not serving it!

I remember touring France years ago, wonderful, hood down, hot as you like, idyllic. We stopped for some wine tasting, (we used to buy wine in each region we visited) and my missus was cringing as I couldn't be doing with all the spitting into a bucket after swirling it around your mouth.

“Get it down you, love”.

“Moron!” 🤣

Andy Crooks
81 Posted 30/03/2020 at 17:54:46
Like it, Steve.
Steve Johnston
82 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:04:27
Cheers Andy!

As for my birthday (13 Mar).

Sports: Bernard Julien (WI cricketer), Dirk Wellham (AU's cricketer), Joe Bugner, Stephen Maguire (snooker), and from footy; Edgar Davids and Andres Escobar!

Others: L Ron Hubbard! Neil Sedaka, Geoffrey from Rainbow! Adam Clayton (U2), William H Macy and (not forgetting) Peaches Geldof.

Brent Stephens
83 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:10:54
So your wife married below her station. A morganatic marriage, I think.
Brent Stephens
84 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:10:54
So your wife married below her station. A morganatic marriage, I think.
Dave Abrahams
85 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:23:36
Richard Gere and James Coburn were born on the same day as me, and Laurence Olivier and Vivian Leigh we’re married on the very day I was born, blimey what a marriage that was, he was bisexual and she was a nymphomaniac, what a carry on that must have been.
Colin Glassar
86 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:40:04
I was born on the same day as Mussolini and General Montgomery.

I actually like(d) Shanks.

Phil Paulson
87 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:40:48
Could riff on this all day long, Ray.

Dinner parties from hell - the arts,
Dinner parties from hell - sport,
Dinner parties from hell - the long departed,
Dinner parties from hell - science and politics,
or maybe a mixture -

How about Gordon Lee, Sue Pollard, Richard Dawkins and Edwina Currie

or

Evonne Goolagong, Jocky Wilson, Lucille Ball and Donald Trump

or

Eric Bristow, Esther Rantzen, Arthur Scargill and Hilda Baker

or

Bernard Manning, Bernard Ingham, Bernard from Blackadder and Germaine Greer.

89 Posted 30/03/2020 at 18:45:39
Alan

I thought that was the Prince Alfred!

Steve Johnston
90 Posted 30/03/2020 at 19:11:43
How about pitching new game shows?

Celebrity Russian Roulette

With James Corden, Danny Dyer and Dappy from N-Dubz

Don Wright
91 Posted 30/03/2020 at 19:12:47
Trevor (77),

I have the same birthday; add JK Rowling. Wesly Snipes, Dean Cain (aka Superman) and finally Rayanne Morais (Jay Wood from Brazil will know who she is) to the list.

Everyone stay strong and Keep The Faith!

Mike Gaynes
92 Posted 30/03/2020 at 19:33:28
Chris/Alan/Dave, got some good news... John Prine's wife just posted on Twitter that he is now in stable condition. Off the critical list.

Makes me very happy. Chicago folk musicians are special and irreplaceable.

Don Alexander
93 Posted 30/03/2020 at 19:50:25
I was born on the same day as my twin brother.
Bill Gienapp
94 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:03:57
I don't know of anyone particularly terrible I share a birthday with, though some bad things have gone down on April 14. Specifically, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated and the Titanic sank.

To be specific, Lincoln was shot and the Titanic hit the iceberg on the 14th. Though since Lincoln actually died and the Titanic went under after midnight, both are sort of credited to the 15th... I don't know, the specific ownership is a little fuzzy.

Billy Bradshaw
95 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:04:56
Mine with Dixie Dean, 23 January, so I'm led to believe.

Getting back to some of the clothes comments above, I remember buying a penny round-collared shirt back in the day; pale blue it was. I thought I looked the dog's bollocks in it. Went out on the Saturday night... next day, on the Sunday, I asked my ma to wash it to go out in it again.

We didn't have a washing machine at the time, ma used to wash in the sink. Mum and dad had just bought one of these small upright like a drum spin dryer, most of you will know what I'm on about, so in went the shirt with a few other clothes.

When the spin had finished, out came my beloved penny round collared shirt with no collar on! Me ma had forgotten to put the grey rubber keep ring on top of the clothes before she closed the lid and turned it on... boy, was I devastated.

Chris Hockenhull
97 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:10:21
Mike 92. Don't know if you can access my Facebook page but, if you care to look, you may find something that may interest you.
Jay Harris
98 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:11:06
Mark,
Count yourself lucky.

The only "famous people" I could find sharing my birthday, ,11 February 1951, are the eminent Cleo Kretschmer and Ivor Biscek (never heard of them!!)

Alan McGuffog
99 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:22:40
Thanks for that snippet of good news, Mike. Fingers crossed.

Chris.. isn't that something for controlling an unruly member? Funny thing to name a pub after...

Ray Roche
100 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:38:08
Brent @84.

If you had listened to her, Pol Pot in Pantyhose, then yes, she did. She’s long since been exchanged, after many hours of road testing a variety of models, for someone with a sense of humour.

Mark Cuddy
101 Posted 30/03/2020 at 20:53:37
Cards on the table, I don't hate Bill Shankly. I wrote the above for a laugh in the style of a cross between Denis Leary and Rik Mayal.

I did phone up my dad and we laughed about it. But I think that's because we've got a very good sense of humour. It's a curse really, ahem.

For the record, like most level headed people, I don't care who a person supports, what their politics are, where they're from, what their favourite vegetable is or if they managed Liverpool football club. But I do draw the line when it comes to biscuits – it must be Crawford's Bourbons!

Oh shit, I've opened a can of worms now. I'll probably be informed that there are many different biscuits and I should just “suck it up” with a cup of tea, ahem.

Please keep smiling everyone. Life's too short. Or should that be life's too Shorties?

Colin Glassar
102 Posted 30/03/2020 at 21:04:07
The Black Dahlia and Ken Burns also share my birthday.
103 Posted 30/03/2020 at 21:43:22
Mike/Alan,

Really nice news about JP. Pleased about that.

Alan, one of my dad’s racing pals spotted me in there one time when I was about 16/17, and grassed me up.

I’d been playing football on Rice Lane Rec.

John Keating
104 Posted 30/03/2020 at 21:56:23
Mark
Any relation to Harry Cuddy? Ex Rowan
Gavin Johnson
105 Posted 30/03/2020 at 22:49:58
May the 13th for me so I get to share that with Lukaku and Jim Jones (Jonestown infamy)
Mike Gaynes
106 Posted 30/03/2020 at 23:39:32
Chris #97... that's really nice.

My folks were folk music buffs, and when I was a kid they would occasionally take me along to see Prine, PP&M, Bob Gibson, Tom Paxton, the Limeliters and others when they played the legendary Chicago folk spots like the Earl of Old Town, the Gate of Horn, the Quiet Knight and Somebody Else's Troubles. Noel Paul Stookey enjoyed it when I told him I had slept through PP&M at the Gate of Horn at the age of 2 in 1959. Mary Travers did not like that story at all. Made her feel old, I guess.

The most legendary moment in the history of Chicago folk came when the doomed local songwriter Steve Goodman cornered an exhausted Arlo Guthrie at the Quiet Knight around '71 and asked to play him a song. The reluctant Guthrie told Goodman to buy him a beer, and he'd sit there and listen until he finished it.

Guthrie still calls it the "finest beer of my life." The song, of course, was "City of New Orleans."

Mike Hughes
107 Posted 31/03/2020 at 00:53:43
June 22nd for me.

I was hoping I'd share my birthday with Marvin Hagler (never took a backward step), Bob Latchford (boyhood hero), and a few lesser known in the various categories they were assigned to.

Michael Foot (politician who wrote a great poem about EFC and who didn't given a monkey's about image). Edward Hopper (artist); Raymond Carver (writer); Jack Nicholson (all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy) or even a modern celebrity or musician who I liked. Everyone increasingly irritates the crap out of me now so I'm down to Jools Holland, Tom Robinson and one or two others on that front.

No such luck.

I got Meryl Streep (probably the only thing I agree on with Donald Trump – she's over-rated) and my favourite RS of all-time, Lorius Karius (snigger) who exploded the bullshit of YNWA all on his lonesome.

Still, it could have been worse .... Shankly, Gerrard, Fowler, The Liverpool Echo, Donald Trump, Jimmy Saville, Heinrich Himmler......

Brian Wilkinson
108 Posted 31/03/2020 at 01:13:57
After looking at the other posts, I think I am still leading with Putin, Himler and Simon Cowell.
Mike Gaynes
109 Posted 31/03/2020 at 01:14:25
Mike, you got me curious so I checked, and dude, you got LEGENDS.

Aside from Streep (sorry, 21 Oscar nominations makes you a legend), you got Kris Kristofferson, Todd Rundgren and John Dillinger. And the greatest hot-dog hoopster who ever lived, Pistol Pete Maravich.

Nothing to complain about.

Mike Hughes
110 Posted 31/03/2020 at 01:24:53
Mike - those people are not in my world so I’ll have to take your word for it. They can have honorary inclusions.

Meryl Streep may well have had 21 Oscar nominations but she doesn’t float my boat. I think it’s the smugness that puts me off her. Just can’t watch her at all and you can tell her I said so.

By the way you can add Mike Pence to my ‘Shankly list’. When did Pence have his charisma by-pass? He’s like a wax-work dummy. Please pass this on if you meet him.

Derek Thomas
111 Posted 31/03/2020 at 02:12:11
I have amongst others, Edward VIII, Alan Turing and Zinedane.
Top of the Pops on this day was... My Foolish Heart by Ned Washington and Victor Young (who?)
Mark Cuddy
112 Posted 31/03/2020 at 08:50:30
John @104, I genuinely don't know. I'm not that close to my dad's side of the family. Harry might have been a cousin of my dad's or a half-brother. My dad had a big family who scattered all over Liverpool and the rest of the country. I only know a couple of them. I had an uncle George who settled in Somerset after leaving the Navy. He was a character – tough as old boots too.

I've got an uncle Nick - a great fella. And I had an uncle Larry who worked on the docks. I only met him a couple of times but he was great fun. There are one or two others. My cousin's the ex-Liverpool boxer Louis Cuddy. Once again, I've only met Louis once or twice and haven't seen him for about 25 years or so. My dad used to take Louis to Anfield when he was a kid (I wouldn't go).

I've always been closer to my mum's side of the family, the Broadhursts. That's why I'm an Evertonian. Although, as I've said, I don't care who anyone supports as long as they've got a good sense of humour and don't stab you in the back.

Rob Halligan
113 Posted 31/03/2020 at 10:46:26
Whilst we're on about sharing birthdays with famous celebrities, has anyone got any famous relations, past or present?

My brother has recently done one of those family tree ancestry traces, and he discovered that we are related to Eleanor Rigby, the one in The Beatles song. My grandmother (my dad's mum) was related to Eleanor Rigby, I think it was an aunt / niece relationship.

Funny how an everyday Scouse girl can become famous through a song. The song originated because Lennon and McCartney were sitting on the wall of St Peters church in Woolton Village, and the gravestone of Eleanor Rigby (along with other family members) was right in front of them, and that's were they got the idea from to compose the song. Father McKenzie actually originated from a gravestone further along, where a John McKenzie is buried. Somehow John McKenzie wouldn't have sounded right in the song, so Lennon and McCartney changed it to Father McKenzie.I

Afterthought:

Is Eleanor Rigby really famous though, as I said she was just an ordinary everyday Scouse girl who just happened to be buried in the right place. By the way, she also shares a graveyard with Bob Paisley.

Dave Brierley
114 Posted 31/03/2020 at 11:30:48
Mike, thanks for the news on John Prine. That boy is really a fighter.
Made my day.
Dave Williams
115 Posted 31/03/2020 at 19:57:34
I always liked Shankly. A lot of what he said was tongue-in-cheek and he showed he really didn't mind us with the amount of time he spent at Bellefield after he retired.

A great football man – if your day was shared with Creasehead, then you'd have a problem!!

116 Posted 03/04/2020 at 06:49:57
Derek @111,

Ned Washington was a pretty famous lyricist. He wrote songs for some famous films:

Theme from Rawhide (Rollin Rollin Rollin)
High Noon (Do not Forsake Me Oh my Darlin)
Theme from 3-10 From Yuma
Pinnochio (When you Wish Upon A Star)

And a load more besides, as well as songs For the likes of Ella Fitzgerald.

All the stuff on 2 Way Family Favourites in the 50s!

Seems a kinder time at the moment.

117 Posted 08/04/2020 at 07:09:02
Following on from some of the posts above, I see that John Prine has died age 73, from complications caused by C-19. Lovely appreciation piece in the Guardian.

RIP

On a related topic, Jackson Browne, now has caught this benighted virus. He’s released a track on YouTube, just recorded called A Little Too Soon To Say.

If you’re a fan it’s worth a listen.

The accompanying photo shows some slight signs of him actually ageing!

Thomas Lennon
118 Posted 08/04/2020 at 07:35:49
John Goodman
Martin Landau
John Mahoney
Frank Lampard Jnr

But they all pale into insignificance alongside

Peter Fucking Reid

Alan McGuffog
119 Posted 08/04/2020 at 08:00:38
Chris...that is indeed sad news to wake up to today.
120 Posted 08/04/2020 at 08:03:05
Yes Alan,

I was hoping he was out of the woods

John Cook
121 Posted 08/04/2020 at 08:46:32
Yes Chris devaststed.,
"sweet songs don't last too long on broken radios..."
R.I.P. John Prine
122 Posted 08/04/2020 at 08:50:36
Sam Stone, John

One of my favourites by John, and possibly the first song I heard of his.

Tony Abrahams
123 Posted 08/04/2020 at 09:23:37
“There’s a hole in daddy’s arm, where all the money goes”! If some recreational drugs are medicinal, you could never say the same about Class A’s, even though both The Stranglers - Golden Brown, and Lou Reid- describing A Perfect Day, might make some people think otherwise.

That was the first time I’ve ever heard Sam Stone, Chris, I enjoyed it, but as you can see it’s got me thinking just a little bit to much. God bless John Prine, and god bless musicians everywhere, for the great help the music they have given us, has been during these very testing times!

124 Posted 08/04/2020 at 09:39:17
Hell Tony,

You can’t think too much! Too much not thinking enough. Music has kept me sane at certain times over the years. Trouble is I get into it and red wine together and before you know where you are I’m singing along. A bad sign.

Try Angel from Montgomery with Bonnie Raitt.

Did you try the Jackson Browne track?

Thanks for your other comments too, mate

125 Posted 08/04/2020 at 09:41:48
If you like drug related songs try Red Balloon by Tim Hardin.

Sam Stone was at home when he popped his last balloon.

Dave Abrahams
126 Posted 08/04/2020 at 10:22:32
Chris and Tony, just jumping in on your conversation about drug songs, who sang ‘I saw the whole of the moon'?

That was like the National Anthem in Liverpool when it first came out, used in the death column of the Echo. One pub in London Road, Partners, used it as the last song of the night/morning around a few hours after it should have closed. It was absolute bedlam before the song came on, the place went berserk when that song started, dancing on the tables, girls on their fella's shoulders singing and swaying to the song. I think some people from around there just came out of their houses to dance to that song. Cracking song by the way.

Martin Faulkner
127 Posted 08/04/2020 at 10:31:09
Bruce Forsyth
Drew Barrymore
Michael Laudrup

Dave,
The Waterboys, seen them live in Tain which is in the back of beyond in North Scotland

Alan McGuffog
128 Posted 08/04/2020 at 10:35:51
Drug related songs ? Try Puff the Magic Dragon
129 Posted 08/04/2020 at 10:41:30
Dave

Didn’t someone sing that on Father Ted?

Martin, the Waterboys a great band. Still buying their latest stuff, but Fisherman’s Blues is a classic.

Puff the Magic Dragon? I didn’t know that was a drug song. Peter Paul and Mary had a massive hit with it, when I was still young and impressionable. You’ll have Mike Gaynes on your case!

John Cook
130 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:06:14
Chris Williams,
You must be hacking into my favourites. This lock down has had my listening to artists I haven't heard for years.Was listening to Bonnie with John Lee yesterday.Working my way through Taj Mahal and Little feat at the mo.
Sam Stone not about drugs as such,the best anti war song I have ever heard and first to recognise PTSD.
Dave Abrahams
131 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:09:56
Chris (129), ‘ didn’t someone on Father Ted sing that song’, more than likely Chris, those priests were on something, as well as Father Jack out of his skull on whiskey, they had to have something to ease the pressure of living with that housekeeper saying “ Ah go on, go on”, all bleedin’ day.
132 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:13:02
John

You could be right. I got hold of some early Bonnie live broadcasts from the early seventies. Because the concerts were also radio broadcasts the master tapes were good quality so the sound is good. She and Linda Ronstadt were top of the heap then. Jackson Browne used to open for them.

Great guitarist too!

In the Mood!

Love both Little Feat and Taj Mahal. In the early nineties a whole group of young black Blues men were coming up. Guy Clark, Eric Bibb Keb Mo and all. They looked at Taj Mahal,like he looked at Muddy Waters. The Boss .

Ry Cooder not too shabby either. Saw him several times back in the 80s I guess.

Dave Abrahams
133 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:14:42
Martin (127) thanks Martin, The Waterboys that was the group, where were they from ? Ireland?
John Cook
134 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:17:06
Chris,
I saw Jackson in the Phil several years ago,class act.Got him singing live on the "No Nukes" LP with Springsteen. Who needs football eh !
Peter Neilson
135 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:19:15
Hi Dave, The Waterboys great band seen them plenty of times over the past 30 odd years. Mike Scott is from Scotland but spent a good few years in Ireland recording the magnificent Fisherman's Blues album and Room To Roam which is well worth checking out. They are still making great albums and tour regularly. Well worth going to see live when all of this is over.
136 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:23:32
John,

I was at that concert too. I saw him in Manchester a couple of times too. Always ready for a chat with the crowd.

I hope he gets over the virus.

Dave it might have been Graham Norton on reflection. The dancing priest

137 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:28:35
Re 132

Guy Davis not Guy Clark.

That’s a whole different story!

Tony Abrahams
138 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:57:18
Yeh Dave, try old England is dying, from the waterboys or Kirsty McColl, singing about New England!

I’ve got a confession to make on this alpha male website, but if you’re looking for the perfect voice you have got to listen to Sinaed O’Connor singing “don’t cry for me Argentina” a flawless voice, but such a troubled mind, and definitely a victim of a mass cover-up, that protects certain patrty’s whatever the crime. So sad.

Andy Crooks
139 Posted 08/04/2020 at 11:57:48
Chris, Ry Cooder, good call. If anyone wants to have goose bumps, ask alexa to play theme from southern comfort by Ry Cooder.
Dave Abrahams
140 Posted 08/04/2020 at 12:29:11
Andy (139), just played that haunting tune Andy, very good, going back to that type of music in a few minutes.

John, (134) ‘ who needs football ‘, well you’ve got something there with sincere apologies to Mike and Lyndon for giving us this column at this very trying time, thank you very much, it’s providing a lot of relief to a lot of us, Thanks again.

Tony (138), if they don’t play “ Dance me to the end of Love “ at my funeral, I’m not going, just robbed that line off Utube.

Ray Roche
141 Posted 08/04/2020 at 12:36:18
Great song that, Dave, what a wordsmith Cohen was.
Andy. Ray Cooder. Paris, Texas.
Wonderfully evocative, atmospheric soundtrack.
142 Posted 08/04/2020 at 12:47:19
Tony (138)

Sinaed has a beautiful voice. She did some lovely stuff with the Chieftains.

There’s a great track on YouTube of her singing with Christie Moore. Sweet Thames Flow Softly. A wonderful song written by Ewan McColl, Kirsty’s Dad!

Peter Neilson
143 Posted 08/04/2020 at 13:47:35
In these strange times with maybe more time to fill 17 minutes or so of Bob Dylan's new song Murder Most Foul is worth a listen. If you like Dylan that is.
Tony Abrahams
144 Posted 08/04/2020 at 14:02:32
I think I’d play sachmo, for you Dave, always loved What a wonderful world, during my early years!

Red Balloon, by Tim Hardin was good Chris, might just be me but I could feel a bit of Neil Young, or maybe America singing Ventura Highway, but that might just be because of this beautiful weather we are getting blessed with today!

145 Posted 08/04/2020 at 14:24:19
Yes Tony,

The weathers lovely. Just been out with my wife for our allotted exercise period. Everybody stopping for a chat, saying keep safe. Unusual times for sure. Positively unenglish!

I’ve had a soft spot for Tim for about 50 years or so, ever since I found he’d written If I were a Carpenter. Big hit for Bobby Darin. He took the song, the arrangement and Tim’s voice too. 4 Tops had a hit with it as well.

Dave Abrahams
146 Posted 08/04/2020 at 14:40:13
Ray 141), that Ray Cooder playing Paris Texas took me onto Blind Willie Johnson playing and humming ‘ Dark was the night, Cold was the ground ‘, excellent, I was wandering if Blind Willie Johnson was the guitarist who allegedly sold his soul to the devil so he could play the guitar the way he did, or was that someone praising him in a roundabout way?
147 Posted 08/04/2020 at 14:52:03
Dave,

That was Robert Johnson, at the Crossroads.

Ray Roche
148 Posted 08/04/2020 at 16:31:03
I don’t know about Blind Willie Johnson, Dave, I just remember that haunting music from the film.
Mike Gaynes
149 Posted 08/04/2020 at 17:44:26
Chris Williams, sharing your sadness. Woke up a couple of hours ago to the news about Prine. Damn.

Jackson Browne got it several weeks ago, no indication that he's been seriously ill. Regularly on social media.

And regarding your post #132, I am of the opinion that there never has been, and never will be again, a voice to compare to that of Linda Ronstadt. So sad that it has been silenced. She had more songs to sing.

150 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:10:14
Mike,

Yes all of those wonderful musicians have played a big part of my life for over 50years. At least there’s a big legacy there for all of them. I hope Jackson Browne can go on for a good while longer. He only looks about 40! If he comes back here I’ll see him if I can get tickets. His chat with the audience was often hilarious. Discussing how his son Ethan was doing, with a curious Scouser, while the rest of the audience sat there happily, or the fact that the sound balance wasn’t quite right.

The live Linda Ronstadt concerts from the 70s capture the power of her performances then and also the lovely naivety of her interactions with the audience.

John Prine was one of the first ‘next Dylans’.

I suppose that you see them go and fade away one after the other, and it’s one of the things you get to deal with as you get older.

That’s depressed me now! Red wine and Angel from Montgomery, and Hello in There.

Gerry Quinn
151 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:10:22
23rd June
Zinedine Zidane
Patrick Viera
Colin Montgomerie
Adam Faith
Duffy

Persons born on this day have a hard time opening up to and trusting people. They are not THE ones to be direct or forward and will not make the first move in a potential relationship, so they need a strong sign. They are very sensitive and easily hurt (especially by Everton!). This is why they have built up their protective shell around relationships. On the other hand, they can be loyal and loving to those who have fulfilled their strong desire to be needed. They will fiercely protect their loved ones and are highly appreciative of their partner’s fulfillment of their needs.

Lucky Colors: Orange, White
Lucky Numbers: 2, 7, 11, 16, 20, 25
Lucky Days (of the week): Monday, Thursday
Lucky Days (of the months): 2, 11

Chris Hockenhull
152 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:10:52
Peter 143. Go look for the video someone has put together for “Murder Most Fowl”. It really brings it all together Mike 149. Jackson has seemingly got over it quite well I believe. I did hear from someone McGuinn has gone down with it now but ain’t seen it myself. Devastated John Prine gone as few days ago word was he was quite stable but he has had some major health issues and last two scheduled tours in UK were pulled even going back to September in Manchester. I still do some of his songs in my act and got into him about 73 following seeing him on a BBC In Concert. I’d like to think BBC will pull it out on their Friday music slots as a tribute? A sad sad loss
Andy Crooks
153 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:12:47
Forget all, listen to Tarzan boy by Baltimora, Does Derry proud.
Chris Hockenhull
154 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:13:57
Meant to add this afternoon aI was listening to Dylan’s “Time Out Of Mind”. Jeez ‘ Not Dark Yet’ took on an eerie slant!!! Moved me despite being very well acquainted with the song
155 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:18:36
Chris

McGuinn seems ok. He is pretty active on Twitter,with a lot of exchanges about John Prine.

Not sure I could cope with ‘Time Out of Mind’ at the moment.

Kevin Latham
156 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:20:04
Mike @ 149, great call with Linda Ronstadt. Tremendous voice and range from rock to torch songs. My fave track was ‘Different Drum’ which was written by Mike Nesmith from The Monkees. If only she’d had the looks to go with it then the girl would have gone far 😜. By the way, I see there’s some easement of the lockdown in Wuhan - will your lady wife be home anytime soon?
Ray Roche
157 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:27:16
Mike@149

Mike, her version of Blue Bayou is, in my opinion, better than Roy Orbison's.
A terrific singer, Old Paint, another great track.

Ray Roche
158 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:28:57
Sorry, it went off in my hand, if you've never listened to Trio 11 with Emmy Lou Harris and Dolly Parton then you've missed a trick. Better than Trio, the first joint album.IMO.
Mike Gaynes
159 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:31:53
Kevin, spot on. I remember first hearing Paul Simon's "Under African Skies" on Graceland, and an enchanting female harmony in the background. Thought "wow, what a discovery THAT voice is!" Of course, it was quickly revealed to be Ronstadt, uncredited. Just stopped by the studio one day and laid down a quick track with that angel's voice.

Sad to say, no change for my family. Wuhan is only partially open, and not yet in their area. Travel between the US and China won't be open for months yet. Ironically, it's now far more dangerous here than there. Thanks for asking.

Ray #157, my Linda favorites from that era were Silver Threads and her version of Desperado, but I'll tell ya, if you've never heard her covers of Nat King Cole's "When I Fall in Love" and Ella Fitzgerald's "Someone to Watch Over Me" from her Nelson Riddle album, check 'em out. And her "When You Wish Upon a Star" will melt you into a puddle.

160 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:32:18
Ray,

Those are my wife’s favourite albums.

Don Wright
161 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:35:17
Any northern soul fans check out uncle kracker's version of drift away by dobie grey (not a direct link but copy and paste) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69BertdSt4 keep the faith
John Cook
162 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:35:40
Ray,
Emmy Lou another great singer.I seem to remember sang with Dylan on Joey. Talking of Dylan,just been listening to The Band doing Arcadian Driftwood,how good is that song.A big. fan of Levon

Helm,another big loss along with Petty.

Mike Gaynes
163 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:44:01
John, I've got Emmylou on my iPod singing "Bull Rider" with Rodney Crowell. Great, fun song with some hilarious lines.

Don #161, thanks for posting, that's a really good version. But for me nothing will ever touch Tom Rush's elemental version of Drift Away. Just a guitar, a background cello, and heart.

164 Posted 08/04/2020 at 18:48:18
John,

Emmy Lou did a great album with Rodney Crowell, Yellow Moon.

I remember learning at school about Wolfe beating Montcalm at the Heights Of Abraham. A great English victory!

Acadian Driftwood gives it a different slant alright. At least we got Cajun music out of it. A good version of it that missed the cut for The Last Waltz is available. Apparently Bill Graham made his own films of all the acts that appeared at his venues.

Beautiful later song by them.

John Cook
165 Posted 08/04/2020 at 19:26:36
Chris it's the remix copy I've got, brilliant. Mike, like Emmylou doing "Just the 2 of us" with Marc Knopfler, well worth a listen.
John Cook
166 Posted 08/04/2020 at 19:46:19
My mistake Mike "this is us" is the title.
Dave Abrahams
167 Posted 08/04/2020 at 19:52:45
Mike (159), sorry to hear that it looks like you still have a long wait to see your wife, been a long time Mike, and I remember you saying, seems like ages ago, that your wife and her family were physically okay but they were going stir crazy with the lockdown, I think all of us over here can now realise what they were going through and went through the last few months, it’s only been under three weeks here but the tedium of every day being the same takes some getting used to, but hopefully we will get through it and remember it for a long long time.

Best regards Mike to you and your family, oh Mike just read you talking about Nat King Cole and remember you telling me he was your favourite singer, I told you he never, amazingly, never had a number one hit in Great Britain, you replied that he never had a number one hit in The States.

Mike Gaynes
168 Posted 08/04/2020 at 20:14:49
Hi Dave, thanks so much for the good wishes, much appreciated. I've smiled ruefully a few times at the complaints I've heard from some of my friends here in the US about being cooped up at home for two weeks, three weeks... I think, hey, folks, try it for 11 weeks on full lockdown, no food shopping or taking a walk in the neighborhood. Sarah's been so strong for her family, but I can tell she's getting tired and very homesick, and there's no end in sight. Tough times. Wishing you and yours the best and a quicker parole!

I remember our conversation about Nat, and the statistical oddity that he'd had five songs reach the top 3 in the UK, but never #1. But if I told you he'd never had a #1 in the US, I was mistaken -- Mona Lisa topped the charts in 1950, and I think Too Young reached #1 the following year.

John #166, thanks for the correction, will check it out on iTunes.

Dave Abrahams
169 Posted 08/04/2020 at 20:21:52
Mike (168), well to be honest I don’t think you made a mistake, what you said was ‘ I’m not sure if Nat had a number one in The States’ and that conversation was at Anfield while we were waiting for the teams to come out for the start of the Derby game, so I think your mind was focused on football and not so much on music !!
Mike Gaynes
170 Posted 08/04/2020 at 20:27:30
Dave, yep, you're right. I must have been thinking about Andy Cole instead of Nat!
Dave Abrahams
171 Posted 08/04/2020 at 20:28:44
Chris (147), Yes, Robert Johnson was the man, read about him in an Elmore Leonard novel.

At the Crossroads? Is that a song, or where he allegedly met the devil?

172 Posted 08/04/2020 at 20:41:54
Dave,

It’s both the place, and a song he wrote about it. Recorded by everybody since. And their mums and brothers.

There’s a film of the same name which sort of uses the story, but brings it up to date. The soundtrack is by Ry Cooder, who also fills in playing guitar for the lead actor. He ends up competing with a ‘heavy metal’ guitarist for his soul. Heavy metal is clearly the devils music in this story. The guitarist is Steve Vai.

Bo Diddley plays a nasty police chief in it, which is a neat role reversal.

Alan McGuffog
173 Posted 08/04/2020 at 21:48:15
Chris. the true genius of our Empire builders (if it is PC to say this) was in conquering and then recruiting the defeated foe.

After Culloden and the dismemberment of the clan system, Highlanders were absorbed into the British Army.

When Montcalm was served up his arse at Quebec, it was not an English victory. The Highland Regiments made the difference.
I mean Imagine facing a battalion of Tommy Gemmels, Jimmy Gabriels and Sandy Browns!

174 Posted 08/04/2020 at 22:35:44
Alan,

I wouldn't want to argue with you about that at all. That fact is enshrined in the writings of J. Fenimore Cooper, where everyone was a Scot, except Hawkeye, Uncas, Chingachgook and Magua.

They say the victors get to write the history. As a nation, we seem to spend an awful lot of time apologising for our so-called victories. And an awful lot more besides!

My maternal grandfather was a Hendry, from Edinburgh. The rest of my grandparents were Irish, Ulster, and Scouse.

Damn the English!

Mike Gaynes
175 Posted 11/04/2020 at 05:33:00
Chris Williams, you will enjoy this very, very much: