Visit with an old friend – podcast with Adrian Heath

by   |   04/04/2020  9 Comments  [Jump to last]

Hi folks...

A friend of mine lives in Minnesota, and his son plays in the youth program at the MLS club Minnesota United. The gaffer of that club is Adrian Heath, who has been managing on our side of the pond since 2008.

The club has posted a podcast interview with Adrian, conducted by veteran football commentator Callum Williams. If you have an hour free (and who of us doesn't??), this is a very pleasant way to spend it.

Listen here

back Return to Talking Points index  :  Add your Comments »

Reader Comments (9)

Andy Crooks
1 Posted 04/04/2020 at 11:30:47
Thanks, Mike. Haven't watched it yet but look forward to doing so later. This is the sort of thing that brightens days a bit. Hope you are okay.
Dave Williams
2 Posted 04/04/2020 at 11:38:49
Thanks so much Mike. He is the last of my real Everton heroes and in my top three of all time faves. Always seems a really nice guy and the interview is fascinating- great story about Oasis washing the players cars at City before they became famous.
Keep well over there and thanks again- really brightened my morning.
Peter Mills
3 Posted 04/04/2020 at 15:05:54
Mike, thank you very much for letting us listen to this. It is an hour well spent.

Inchy was a clever, enthusiastic footballer, who provided some of the best moments I have had watching Everton. He has obviously taken that intelligence and love of the game into his subsequent coaching career. It was a great pleasure to catch up with him in this podcast.

Stay well Michael.

Terry White
4 Posted 04/04/2020 at 17:25:34
Thanks, Mike. I don't think Inchy had a very successful start to his managerial career before now although he did ok at Orlando. But Minnesota had started the MLS season with two impressive away wins against Portland and San Jose so it's a shame from the Loons' point of view that the MLS season has closed down.
Terry White
5 Posted 04/04/2020 at 18:10:30
I wonder if anyone has asked Inchy whether he considers his goal at Oxford or his semi-final goal against Southampton to be more important to him and the club?
Mike Gaynes
6 Posted 04/04/2020 at 18:31:42
Dave #2, the thanks go to my Minnesota friend and career mentor Mark Saxton, who shared it with me because he knows I'm an Evertonian. I just flicked it on for you guys.

Terry #4, considering that both his Orlando club and Minnesota United entered MLS as expansion teams, I think he's done pretty well. His Orlando club dominated the minor-league USL before moving up -- did the double two years in a row.

He's beloved in Minnesota. Spends a lot of time coaching the kids in the program (like my friend's son) and has a big presence in the community.

Kieran Kinsella
7 Posted 04/04/2020 at 18:41:02
He was really popular and surprisingly high profile in Orlando before they joined the MLS. He was credited with helping them get to that level. Once there, it's tougher because they're not a huge TV market and Floridians outside of college football are fairly fickle fans.
Jim Burke
8 Posted 07/04/2020 at 16:24:23
Thanks Mike, will definitely check this out. Inchy was my first Everton hero. Have a pair of his shorts from the 85/86 season somewhere, and told me barber as an eight year old to cut me hair like Adrian Heath's! Proper little player he was, too.
Julian Exshaw
9 Posted 10/04/2020 at 14:14:30
Thanks for this Mike. It must have been tough for Inchy when he got that injury just as the side was starting to have success. We'll never forget his great finish away to Oxford which started the greatest ever snowball to roll. Hoping you are well and looking forward to seeing you soon on the match day forum.