ToffeeWeb Season 99-00 Fixtures Match Report
Rotherham United Logo

Rotherham United 0 - 1 Everton

Half-time: 0 - 0

Everton Logo
Pre-Season Friendly #3, 1999
3pm Saturday 24 July 1999
Millmoor, Rotherham
Att: 2,700
Burnley (a) Ref: Scott Mathieson Manchester City (h) 
1999-2000 Fixtures & Results
Kevin Campbell Everton lifted the One-to-One Charity Cup after Kevin Campbell's opportunistic goal won a tight match in oppressive heat at Millmoor; he latched on to a loose ball inside the Millers' area after a defensive mix-up and nodded the ball over stranded keeper Mike Pollit.

Don Hutchison had earlier fired two long-range shots just wide in a lively opening 15 minutes before the heat took it's toll. David Unsworth popped up with a cracking left-foot half volley while David Weir was on hand to head clear at the near post after dangerous work from Andy Turner.

Francis Jeffers almost played Nick Barmby in for a simple chance but Pollit blocked as he stretched to make contact on 34 minutes.  After the break, Campbell nipped in to break the deadlock on 67 minutes but Rotherham managed a strong comeback.  Richard Dunne was withdrawn after up-ending Leo Fortune-West late on, his second cardable offence.

Fortune-West set up Rotherham sub Gary Martindale for the simplest of chances in the dieing moments but sub Paul Gerrard was on hand to produce a superb reaction save.

Gerrard, also excellent at Burnley, took over from Steve Simonsen at half-time – the youngster rarely troubled during his stint in goal. Hutchison picked up the trophy after the final whistle, marking a much improved display on Turf Moor.

Postscript: An amazing five-game suspension was slapped on Richard Dunne after he was dismissed in an acrimponious match against Leeds United at the end of the 1999-2000 season.  The only way to account for this suspension under the FA's totting up system is for Dunne's dismal in today's game at Rotherham to be classed as a full red card.


Rotherham United:
EVERTON: Campbell (67')
   LINEUPS  Subs Not Used 
Rotherham United: Pollitt, Varty, Beech, Watson (75' Hudson), Wilsterman, Dillon, Sedgwick (82' Monkhouse), Garner (20' Ingledow), Fortune-West (77' White), Scott (60' Martindale), Turner (75' Hurst). #.
EVERTON: Simonsen (46' Gerrard); Weir (65' Degn), Dunne (72' Withdrawn), Short, Unsworth, Ward, Barmby (45' Ekelund), Ball (65' Gemmill), Campbell (80' Milligan), Hutchison {c}(80' Regan), Jeffers (75' Cadamarteri).
Unavailable: Myhre, Parkinson, Williamson (injured); Bilic, Branch, Grant, Farrelly, O'Kane, Oster (transfer-listed).
Watson, Jevons.
   Yellow Cards  Withdrawn
Rotherham United: –.
EVERTON: Dunne (56'). Dunne (72')


Sorry, none filed
THE LIVERPOOL ECHO Rotherham 0 Everton 1
THE DAILY POST Rotherham 0 Everton 1
EVERTON WEBSITE Rotherham 0 Everton 1
FOOTBALL 365 Brief Match Report

 Rotherham 0 Everton 1
The Everton Website
Kevin Campbell scored his first goal for the Blues this afternoon since his protracted 3 million move form Trabzonspor. The strike in the 67th minute gave Everton victory in the inaugural One 2 One Charity Cup.

For a pre-season friendly this was a lively affair with plenty of chances in front of both ends of Rotherham’s Millmoor stadium. As early as the second minute Nick Barmby managed to run past the Millers central defenders, he then laid a pass on for Don Hutchison who narrowly shot wide of Mike Pollit’s goal.

Hutchison, captain for the day was instrumental in the opening stages, his second effort four minutes later was again just wide of the Rotherham keepers upright – Francis Jeffers and David Unsworth providing the ball in on this occasion.

Neither side could break the deadlock in the opening period though it was the homeside who came closest. Jamie Ingledow’s long range effort was deflected out for a corner. The kick provided Leo Fortune-West with opportunity to tee up a shot for Chris Sedgewick whose ferocious strike fell safely into the hands of Steve Simonsen, whose second appearance of the week was more encouraging than the first.

Paul Gerrard swapped places with Simonsen, for the second half and did his cause no harm at all for being the manager’s first choice keeper when the Blues run out against Manchester United in a fortnight’s time.

A number of splendid saves culminated in the best of the bunch on 76. Fortune-West crossed into substitute Gary Martindale who should have scored without doubt, but for the quick thinking of the former Oldham Athletic number one. He dived to his left-hand side and lapped up the oncoming shot.

Walter Smith rotated his side once more as he tries to find the right balance for the new campaign. David Weir, David Unsworth and Mitch Ward all deserve praise for inspiring performances. So too does Ronnie Ekelund, on trial for a week at Goodison, he put on a show that will make the Everton management sit up and take notice.

The only black mark of the afternoon’s proceedings was when youngster Richard Dunne was asked to leave the field after a challenge that could have ended in disaster for Sedgewick. Despite his dismissal, referee Mr Mathieson did not show the red card.

But the plaudits must go to Kevin Campbell who opened his account as a permanent Everton player in front of the visiting spectators. Though a little scrappy, it was Unsworth who had been unlucky in front of goal himself that provided the pass for Campbell. Keeper Pollit was out on the edge of the Millers penalty area, but the Everton number 9 was able to rise above him and sneak in a little header that ran away from the chasing defenders.

The result provided the Blues with their first piece of silverware of the season, and a sense of optimism that this time around things might be that little bit different.

Report Everton FC

 Match Report
Football 365
Everton defender Richard Dunne will be hoping to avoid further punishment after being sent off in a 1-0 friendly win at Rotherham.

Dunne was sent from the field by referee Scott Mathieson after 72 minutes for a crunching tackle on Millers midfielder Chris Sedgwick – but Dunne may avoid a suspension as Mathieson declined to show him a red card.

Kevin Campbell scored the only goal of the game in the second half when he beat keeper Mike Pollitt to a long ball from David Unsworth and looped his header into the net.

Everton boss Walter Smith fielded a strong line-up, and they made an impressive start with Francis Jeffers and Don Hutchison linking well in the final third. But the Blues were unable to find a way through and the Millers' defence well marshalled by new signing Brian Wilsterman.

Everton's only real chance of the first half came after 34 minutes when Jeffers sent a delicate chip over the defence and Nick Barmby ran between two defenders to prod the ball goalwards, only to be denied by an excellent block from Pollitt.

Rotherham were causing problems themselves with Craig Short and Dunne struggling to cope with giant striker Leo Fortune-West.

But it was Everton who took the lead in the 67th minute in bizarre fashion.

Unsworth launched a hopeful long ball forwards from his own half but with no apparent danger, Pollitt misjudged the ball as he came off his line, allowing Campbell to head over him and into the net.

Rotherham commanded more of the play after Dunne's dismissal in the 72nd minute and the Blues had to thank substitute goalkeeper Paul Gerrard for a brilliant point-blank block to deny Millers striker Gary Martindale a deserved equaliser.

Report Football365