Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

3-1 (3 cheers and 1 final hurrah)

By Santosh Benjamin :  11/05/2008 :  Comments (8) :
It's a great relief to know that we have held onto 5th place and got a direct pass into the 1st round of next year's Uefa Cup (and not via the Intertoto/Fair Play).

The starting line-up chose itself as Hibbo and AJ were injured and Lescott was deemed fit to play. The "important" games being shown on TV here in India meant that I had to follow the live scores on the internet which is not much fun at all. We seemed to have more of the possession early on and had many more shots on goal too but couldn't make it count. The Villa vs West Ham game started well for us with Solano scoring in the first 10 mins... Villa then equalised with Young. Back to our game... A great free kick from around 40 yards by Manny was headed into the left bottom corner by a diving Yakubu...1-0 to us.

The second half was barely under way before Yobo committed a foul to hand Newcastle a penalty which of course was taken by the ex-red, Owen and although Howard guessed the direction right, he couldn't keep it out... News from the Villa game got bad as Villa took the lead. All we neeeded was a Newcastle goal now to ruin our great season...

Then the saviour stepped up and made it count... Joleon Lescott, our Player of the Season without a doubt, scored to send me into a frenzy. I was feeling a little less nervous as time went on and then it happened ? time actually stood still as we were awarded a penalty (yes, folks ? a penalty!!!) that the Yak converted to send us through safely to the 1st round of next year's Uefa Cup. No player assessment as I didn't actually watch the game.

My assessment for the season is as follows:

• Player of the Season: Lescott
  • Buy of the season: Pienaar
  • Loan of the season: Pienaar
  • Win of the season: 6-1 win against Brann
  • Loss of the season: 0-2 loss to Fiorentina
I really hope that Moyes will sign a long-term contract coz I know he is the man to keep us on track for bigger and better things. I also hope that we can strengthen the weak areas and get rid of some of the less effective players.

I am not sure how I will spend my weekends over the next 3 months... maybe I will watch a bit of the Euro Championships... Maybe I will get a bit more of my pending work done. All I know is that I will miss the ups and downs of the Everton life... maybe the silly season will keep me distracted too.

I'd like to thank all those at Toffeeweb for publishing so many of my views, and for those who commented on them. I've learnt a lot from all of you; take care of yourselves... see you all in Europe next year!!!! COYB

Reader Comments

Jay Harris
1   Posted 11/05/2008 at 23:26:17

Nice post Santos
Although I disagree with the loan of the season. It has to be Manny for me. He has hauled us over the line these last 5 or 6 games and was on the end of most of what was creative today. He is a must-sign player and if Billy Liar wasn't telling another one of his porkies last August we should still have the £12 million to buy him (with a bit of interest).
Eric Holland
2   Posted 11/05/2008 at 23:53:21

Jay, I think you are spot on Manny just oozes class and today his crossing passing and chasing back was just brilliant, sign him now.
"We're all going on a European tour, a European tour"

ps: Pissing myself laughing at the Keegan song to the Monkeys tune Sleepy Jean.
Dan Parker
3   Posted 12/05/2008 at 00:55:50

It was rather funny. I think it’s because they used to sing that to Peter Reid when he was manager of Sunderland. I hope Peter was in a box smiling at the Geordies today.
Simon Joseph
4   Posted 12/05/2008 at 03:51:14

We have really enjoyed the ?catchy? titles of your articles. It's great to see the comments too & realise how many fans actually take the time to read & write in. We look forward to the next season now...
Steve Carter
5   Posted 12/05/2008 at 05:13:11

Still can’t agree with those of you, Santosh, that talk up Pienaar to the extent that you do. At what we got him for, sure he’s okay and probably better than many alternatives at or somewhat above the price. But he is small and easily bullied off the ball, I think that’s been noticed and I think that we can’t expect to continue to go onwards and upwards having even two out of Arteta, Osman and him in the side week in week out, let alone all three of them. (Plus I’ve not forgiven him for his effort against MU at OT...)
Christine Foster
6   Posted 12/05/2008 at 08:33:12

Good to see the season end on a positive note on the field, just who will go from the squad next year is a debateable point as Moyes is likely to hold on to some players past their sell by date (Stubbs etc) I suspect Hibbert, Neville and even Carsley may still be there at the start next season, but hopefully not in starting line ups. VDM uep.. you know I don't think Johnson?s possie is safe with the club after this season, not just because he hasn?t played well but the way Moyes tactically uses him is not to his strengths.
Off the field I think someone should put BK and KW on the transfer list. KW definately on a free. Someone should buy BK out of his contract.

It may be a long off season break, I am sure a few more things will raise their heads to keep us on the boil.
Seamus Murphy
7   Posted 12/05/2008 at 10:32:33

Player of the Season - Lescott
Loan of the Season - Pienaar (Have to agree with Santosh on this-his contribution in the first half of the season was much more than Fernandes - who we should also sign though!)
Buy of the season - Yakubu
Win of the season - 7-1 v Sunderland

Adam Wightman
8   Posted 12/05/2008 at 14:05:58

Roger has been great for us this year, although I’d like to give Howard great credit also. He has made some world class saves and I love the way he marshalls the defence. Well played to all the blue boys though.