FAN ARTICLES

Alex the Great

By Dr David France :  14/01/2009 :  Comments (8) :
As you may know, I've commissioned Tabacula to make a 60-minute documentary about Alex Young. Provisionally entitled 'Alex The Great' it is an enduring love story and a follow-up to Ken Loach's famous documentary 'The Golden Vision'. The film-makers plan to use many of the recollections documented in Alex's biography and seek a cross-section of Liverpool accents for the voice over work. They seek volunteers with Liverpool accents to read short phrases from the book.

I wonder if you would be so kind as to include a 'Call for Blue Voices'. The recording sessions are scheduled for Thursday 15 January between 4:00 - 7:00 pm at 37-45 Windsor Street in Liverpool 8.

Tabacula is a film production company consisting of three Blues and one nervous Red based in Toxteth. They are at the forefront of the HD revolution with an impressive portfolio of documentaries and music videos.

Evertonians interested in taking part should contact Tabacula to confirm arrangements: telephone (0151 709 8521) or e.mail at mail@tabacula.com.

Reader Comments

EJ Ruane
1   Posted 14/01/2009 at 09:58:36

One question you might ask (just coz it?s always fascinated me) is how come (and why was) newsreader Gordon Honeycombe involved with the ?The Golden Vision??
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
2   Posted 14/01/2009 at 11:46:17

I understand Gordon is a blue!
Mike Owen
3   Posted 14/01/2009 at 19:59:32

Hmmm, why just Liverpool accents? Everton support comes? and came in the 60s ? from a wider area, e.g., North Wales, Wigan, Ireland.

Hopefully not following the growing trend for exaggerating the Scouse accent into something almost Nordic. Know wha I mean like, larrrr.... But good luck!

William Dunne
4   Posted 15/01/2009 at 00:33:12

Having spoken to Neville Smith at the first Hall of Fame Dinner, he told me Honeycombe had nothing to do with it but had to share the credit to get on TV. I've never seen Gordon dodging the doggy down Goodison Road!
Shaun Brennan
5   Posted 15/01/2009 at 11:52:39

Many thanks for commissioning the works so a DVD can be made. Look forward to it and all the best for New Year's.
Christine Foster
6   Posted 15/01/2009 at 13:34:27

It's wonderful that such a legend have the true recognition that he deserves and it's thanks to David that we will be able to share again some of the treasured memories we have held in our hearts for so many years. Thank you.

A little memory I hope someone can add to, I was very very young when I went to see the Blues against Inter in the 1st leg of the European Cup, I think it was 1963. I remember we played them off the field but just couldn?t score.

Alex was brilliant, so much so they actually tore the shirt off his back, he changed it not 10 yards from me.

I seem to remember, and please forgive me if I am wrong, but did we play in all white that night for the cameras?
Ray Roche
7   Posted 16/01/2009 at 07:36:53

Yes, Christine,you’re right, we did play in all white.I remember going mental when Vernon scoring what we all thought was a perfectly good goal only for it to be disallowed for offside .
Phil Teece
8   Posted 19/01/2009 at 01:50:12

And I did the same, Ray... couldn?t see a thing wrong with Roy-the-Thin?s goal. And then their goalie couldn?t stop making last-ditch saves, many of which were just instinct. A game that got away for sure... great night though.