FAN ARTICLES

Tiny Tim... Huge Heart!

By Santosh Benjamin :  19/01/2009 :  Comments (35) :
I can imagine that quite a few of my neighbours (I live in a flat) will be round later in the day to give me their view of me screaming at the top of my voice at 3:30 am in the morning. Frankly, I couldn't be bothered... coz I just saw a man who epitomises our club score a stunning goal to get us a fair result. I'm not usually a big fan of players badge kissing but Tim can do it day-in and day-out coz he has earned it at Everton.

We started with a side that I figured we would go with. Vic back up top (actually played wide right most of the time) and the same back 4. Yobo wasn't back and the total bench age added up to just over 100 thanks to AvdM and Carlo Nash.

Liverpool started with Keane and Torres upfront and Mascherano was missing from the line-up. We had the first chance of the game in the first few mins when Vic controlled a ball just outside the box and took a shot that had Reina scurrying to his left to thwart. After that, Liverpool settled down and passed the ball around for a while.

We didn't seem to be getting too many passes in but Pienaar did his best with what he got. Howard Webb took every opportunity to stop play and check if the Liverpool player wanted a foul, so the game didn't have too much flow to it. We on the other hand were not getting the rub of the green (or Red) with 50-50 balls.

Then, out of nowhere, they played a through-ball to Torres and he snaked past our centre-backs and was one-on-one with Howard and somehow contrived to hit the post. The commentators that were available to us on ESPN via Setanta were Martin Tyler and Paul Walsh. Paul Walsh didn't lose an opportunity to put us down when we were called for invisible fouls and praise the ballerina Reds for their play. (Sure he has an inflatable doll of Torres/Gerrard stashed away at home!).

Pienaar was booked for a challenge even though Howard Webb had his back to him at the time. Skrtel, the alien lookalike, was all up in Cahill's face for an innocuous challenge near the corner flag as they battled for the ball. As the whistle blew for half-time, I was left wondering whether the second half would be any different.

The second half started with Liverpool showing a lot more urgency... perhaps the Spanish waiter threatened to read them his Sir Alex's rant again! We made a few desperate clearances in and around our box with a great effort by Baines to deny Hyypia standing out in my mind. Torres ran into the box and fell over after a feather touch from Jags, leaving the players, the fat waiter, crazy Sammy Lee, the Kop and Paul Walsh crying for a penalty. Somehow, Howard Webb kept his wits and waved play on...

As the half wore on they took off Keane for Benayoun. Just after that, we broke down the left and Vic, after what looked like a push on the Liverpool defender, ran into their area and Skrtel helped him to ground... penalty claims were once again denied (and rightly I think!).

Then, from the restart the ball was played in from the left to Gerrard, who found himself in space and as he charged forward, three of our players ran to close him down... sadly they were just too late as he shaped and shot past Howard into the bottom right hand corner... the crowd and players went wild... Gerrard himself did a slide on his knees to please the crowd. Hilariously, Reina tried to replicate that near his own goal but ended up jarring his left knee, lifting up a clump of dirt and nearly falling flat on his face!

Instead of throwing on Gosling/Jutciewicz at 'em, we carried on with the same. My wife and I sat in silence praying for a miracle... somewhere, somehow, we needed a goal.

Then on 87 mins, Benayoun committed a foul on the right a little away from the corner flag. The angle was so acute that there was no way Arteta could have shot directly. I saw my wife close her eyes and fold her hands in prayer... Arteta stepped up and whipped it in ferociously... and the amazing/incredible/spectacular Tiny Tim got away from his defender and met the ball at the near post and headed it backwards into the goal!!!Our lads went mad... so did the wife and me as we ran round the house screaming...

I expected nearly 5 mins of added time, which never came (thankfully). So Part I of the drama this week ended 1-1 which was a fair result in my eyes.

Player ratings:

• Howard: Saved well from a Gerrard shot and kept his concentration well.
  • Hibbert: Seems to be getting better by the game..solid at the back for the most part..needs to be better going forwards.
  • Jags: Solid. Awesome as he's been all season.
  • Lescott: Managed not to get booked and looked solid too.
  • Baines: Got caught out at the back couple of times in the first half but 2nd haof was great... great crosses going forward... deserves to keep his place.
  • Neville: Few silly challenges on Gerrard early on but settled down later.
  • Arteta: Quiet game by his usual standards but the free kick was pretty good.
  • Ossie: Poor game for me... very poor
  • Pienaar: Full of beans... very good tonight... troubled them whenever he got the ball.
  • Anichebe: Was good at times but lacks the confidence and skill at the moment.
  • Cahill: I'll never run out of superlatives for this guy... my favourite player tonight and on most days for us. What a goal... priceless (hope Man City dont read this and bid £50 million for what they think is priceless!)
Moyes did well with the resources he had... hope we start the Cup game with confidence now and hope Gosling can start the game instead of Ossie/Vic. All the best for the weekend,lads!

ps: Did anyone else notice Mark Halsey patting the fat waiter on the back and joking around after Liverpool scored... very fishy if you ask me! Also, the way the entire Liverpool team fell over and rolled around every time they fell down was so pathetic... my 2½-year-old nephew is steadier on his feet!!!

Reader Comments

Brian Garside
1   Posted 19/01/2009 at 21:58:31

Tim Cahill's goal tonight gives one the feeling/confirmation of the ultimate for an Everton footballer. Not just that he scored at the end of a match were defeat would once again have been so unfair. The man epitomizes everything that is blue!!!

I see also that it was our Nr 10 who fed him, he is almost reaching the same status but Cahill does it regularly and he has done against Liverpool.

We have have proooooved that we can score against them. We have proooooooved that we don't give up having conceced. So, come Sunday, let's go out and take the redshite and stuff their FA dreams where only Satan can see them.

Ian Dagnall
2   Posted 20/01/2009 at 03:21:21

Think you?re being a bit harsh on Osman and Anichebe, Santosh. Ossie didn?t see much of the ball, but he used it well when he did and he had a couple of decent efforts. Had less of the ball than Pienaar, but did more with it. Both worked hard, though.

I thought Anichebe?s touch was spot on tonight ? he brought the ball down really well and tried to take people on down the line. My only complaint about him is that he goes down too easily. The one he went down for today was almost a carbon copy of the one he slotted home against Nuremburg.

Peter Pridgeon
3   Posted 20/01/2009 at 04:11:30

To be really honest, I thought that Liverpool where marginally better than us today but only marginally.

Osman played well but really went absent for long periods of the game, this to me shows how lopsided we really are. Baines and Pienaar on the left give us some attacking power but Hibbert and Osman really are often ineffective and Hibbert not only lacks a decent cross but he is unimaginative in his play.

We could do with a real right winger who can take the ball to the corner flag suck in a defender or two and cross. Now I wonder how much Cristiano Ronaldo would cost.

Vishal Poorundersingh
4   Posted 20/01/2009 at 05:56:02

Nice one Santosh, as usual... however, for me, Baines played well; he will progress more in the future... And I agree with you about Ossie, he did not make good decisions when he had possession.

Above all I am very happy from the whole team performance, great team spirit, our supporters were genius too... I will surely come to Goodison and sing along with you guys... by the way, I?m from Mauritius.

Dan Brierley
5   Posted 20/01/2009 at 06:10:28

Now, I am not one to gloat about the shower of shite across the park (honest ;-) but I came across this when looking at an LFC Forum today referring to Anfield after the match:

"On a side note (before i say it i am a bit of a day tripper) but while waiting to get a taxi outside the ground to my hotel i could not believe the amount of non-english at the game. espicaly one of that magnitude.."

I just wanted to add that in, nothing like a bit more salt for those title wounds.

Back to the match, well.... it wasnt pretty was it? But then again Moyes had not set out to go for the jugular. Tactically, he got it spot on. It must be nice to have the faith in the back four again. Away from home, against the top team in the league, your game plan can only be based on stopping the other team play, and nicking a goal. Especially given the lack of options.

I am not going to criticise any player today, as they all had a job to do, and all executed it. Big Vic had little in way of support, as Arteta was sitting so deep because of the speed they were breaking. We couldnt afford to support Vic much, and rightly so. Torres, Keane, Gerrard and Riera will punish you if you commit too much in going forward.

Leighton did a good job on the left, and Pienaar really had the fire in his belly too. I hope he can stay in that frame of mind for the rest of the season, another cracking Moyes buy. So all in all, an effective performance. I wont say good, as I hated watching it to be honest. After they scored, I really couldnt see a way back into it. But the goal was their demise. By taking off Ladyboy and the Gypo, they were forced to sit back deeper. If you see the replay, watch Mikel position himself another 15 yards up the pitch, without the fear of the break. This shows he had the desire, and belief that we could still get something.

And that man Cahill shamed me for not believing, and not for the first time this season. And more sweetly, it was straight off the training ground for sure. It was completely undefendable once the Alien (thanks Santosh!) had lost Cahill.

One thing to consider is now the standard has been set. This team has to perform to this level now consistently. On this form, we will be in Europe again. The back four have redeveloped their grit and iron, Yobo must now wait for his chance.

I admit, our style of football is not graceful. But then again, beautiful football is not a guarantee of winning matches. Moyes is playing to the strengths of the team. Which is, keep it tight, and nick goals through set pieces and defensive mistakes. Until some real money comes in, lets hope this style of football remains effective. In Moyes We Trust.
Chris Boyd
6   Posted 20/01/2009 at 07:37:05

Been in work since six and already fed up of whinging reds. I think the draw was a fair result. Now to knock them out of the cup on Sunday. COYB
Kevin Hudson
7   Posted 20/01/2009 at 08:28:19

Another great piece Santosh. As William Shakespeare once wrote (when describing the country of England) "Like little body with a mighty heart." Applies perfectly to our Tim.

Roll on sunday...
Kevin Jones
8   Posted 20/01/2009 at 08:55:42

Talk about bias towards the RS, how about the commentator on Setanta last night after Liverpool scored, and I quote " about time too" because as everybody with a TV set or at the match could see the RS bombarded our goal and Tim Howard produced at least 20 wonder saves to keep us the game, tosser. Then I go on the BBC website this morning and who gets MOM that’s right the Magnificent Stevie G, once again tossers. Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines where awesome last night with Phil just edging it for MOM.

I think they’ll rest a few on Sunday so, like a Circus Stalker, lets go for the juggler
Steve Carter
9   Posted 20/01/2009 at 09:14:01

Yeah, Kevin, that rating on Gerrard astounded me too. He did nothing all game, had a lucky break when we momentarily lost concentration and allowed ourselves the ?luxury? trying to change Webb?s mind on Vic?s ?penalty? and his shot, in my view, should have been stopped by Howard ? it wasn?t that powerful ? and then did nothing after that. I thought Baines was the best player on the field.
Steven May
10   Posted 20/01/2009 at 09:47:34

Just a couple of points.

Setanta made Jags the man of the match (and quite rightly).

Did anyone hear the stat that we haven?t won a penalty at Anfield for something like 70 years?

I?m always amazed (and pleased) as to how well we do given the apparent gulf in class and cost. The defending might be miraculous and the Mikki/Tim double act wonderful, but some of our passing and tackling does make you wonder.

I would also like to see some rugby like stats comparing the height of our team with theirs. We seemed to have a team of midgets in comparison.
Kase Chow
11   Posted 20/01/2009 at 09:44:09

Santosh, bit harsh on Big Vic. He held the ball up well and provided a focal point for our attacks.

Don?t be like some of the other pricks on this website that overlook good genuine play and someone that works well for the team.

Totally agree that Cahill is a God and for someone so small, gets a ridiculous number of headed goals.

COYB!
Ciarán McGlone
12   Posted 20/01/2009 at 10:12:58

Great match, great result... but again, not a substitution in sight when they were needed...

Neville is lost in midfield and Pienaar cannot pass the ball to a team mate... mhe was atrocious.
Ciarán McGlone
13   Posted 20/01/2009 at 10:14:57

P.S those who say hibbert can?t cross must have been watching Masterchef last night... his crossing was superb.

Probably the same people who said that Baines couldn?t defend...
Ciarán McGlone
14   Posted 20/01/2009 at 10:21:26

Dan Brierly,

What exact purpose does it serve to call Robbie Keane a ’gypo’?

Can I suggest plugging your brain in?
Chris Stubbs
15   Posted 20/01/2009 at 10:10:08

Santosh, great piece on Tim Cahill. My son was lucky enough to meet the man last summer. He was working in Samoa as a chef at the resort hotel where Tim was a guest. He cooked dinner for him a few times. My son told me that he is a truly humble man. He must have been quite an influence on my son as both he and Tim now sport similar tattoos.

Let?s hope Tim can summon up those Samoan gods on Sunday and bring curses raining down on the RS. It was 5:00am this morning in Taiwan when screaming could be heard from my apartment. I will warn the neighbours that this will be happening again this Sunday, and it will not be me celebrating Chinese New Year.

Kev Prytherch
16   Posted 20/01/2009 at 10:57:53

I think Victor will ultimately make a better right midfielder than a striker. His dive in the box showed exactly how much confidence he has in front of goal: none. The first half he caused problems on the right and drifting into the centre, but his inability in front of goal will never make him a striker.

He did have a very good game by his standards. I wonder though, if Cahill hadn?t of scored would Victor have got so many plaudits or would he have been hung out to dry for not shooting and starting the attack for Gerrard's goal? If he can learn to stay on his feet, he?ll make a very good squad player.

Ken Stevenson
17   Posted 20/01/2009 at 11:30:56

Forget about individuals....... it was a truly amazing team performance!! Moyes was quite right not to make any substitutions, it would have disturbed the balance of a side that, apart from a momentary drop of concentration to let Gerrard in, did very little wrong.

My only criticism is for that twat of a steward who stopped Tim doing his traditional celebration..... who the fuck does he think he is!!!

We go with the same eleven on Sunday and finish the job (oh no, I?m starting to believe again :o).

Paul Lally
18   Posted 20/01/2009 at 12:24:12

Ciarán McGlone - very harsh re Neville and Pienaar.
Neville is starting to understand the holding role ala Carsley, which in turn allows Mikel more freedom in the centre.
Pienaar worked himself into the ground.
Big Vic stepping up to the plate.
Fantastic team performance.
Baines my MOM.

Also noticed the twonk steward stopping Cahill celebrating his goal but the Everton fans singing "You?re gonna win fuck all" at the end ? Priceless.
Robbie Muldoon
19   Posted 20/01/2009 at 12:36:30

100 percent agree with your player ratings mate, spot on ? that's how I would call it.

Osman was a passenger YET AGAIN!!!!!

Easy change for Sunday would be Gosling for Osman.
Ciarán McGlone
20   Posted 20/01/2009 at 12:51:41

Paul, I may be harsh about Neville - as I don?t think he?s a midfielder... although he didn?t do much wrong (apart from trying to get sent off)... he didn?t actually do much right... there?s much more to the defensive midfielder role than what Carsley offered us..

As for Pienaar... he could not pass the ball to his own team, and he has been misplacing passes for a few matches now. He may be industrious, but being unable to find a team mate with the ball is unforgivable.

But a great result all the same... roll on Sunday.
Liam Reilly
21   Posted 20/01/2009 at 13:23:35

Ciaran, I think you were looking at a different game. Pienaar offered himself everytime we got the ball as an outlet for our defenders. He made a few excellent runs and held the ball up well.

Neville was in their face from the word go and made some timely tackles, one I can vividly remember on Torres as he made his way through. Both played well.

For me, Osman was the only one who didn?t justify his place. He needs to do more.

Kurt Knight
22   Posted 20/01/2009 at 13:27:29

Very proud of the boys and also for us fans. Thanks to all for detailed commentary on the match - piss poor FSC did not carry in the US.

I agree with many on Vic; each game I hope and wait but he worries me long-term.

GO Toffees
Ciarán McGlone
23   Posted 20/01/2009 at 13:37:18

Liam, Where did I say he didnt do that? What I said (if you?d care to read the posts) is that he couldnt pass the ball. If you?re going to suggest I was watching a different game then at least try and address the actual point I?m making... and not something tangental.
Neil McKinney
24   Posted 20/01/2009 at 13:45:46

Excellent result and a great all round team performance.

Ossie wasn?t in the game that much, but in his defence our main tactic down the right was for Hibbert to launch the ball over midfield and try and get Vic in behind. Whereas on the left Baines tended to link up more with Pienaar.

I thought Pienaar did well as Liam says. His distribution let him down at times, but I still think he gives us a lot down the left flank. He?s just not in sparkling form at the moment. Ciaran ? you may not have said that Pienaar didn?t offer himself up and run his socks off, but you did describe him as atrocious, which is not a word I would have chosen to describe his efforts.

I thought Timmy, Jags and Baines were excellent, but as a team they all deserve credit.

COYB!!
Ste Lewis
25   Posted 20/01/2009 at 14:15:57

I'm with the others Ciaran, to say Pienaar was ?atrocious? last night does your normally educated posts an injustice. Hibbert did whip in some mean looking crosses but I would wager he hoofed possession away far more than Peanuts. Anyway, who gives a stuff, I'm proud of the lot of them today.
Ciarán McGlone
26   Posted 20/01/2009 at 14:39:36

I?m sorry Ste... but I cannot see past a player who cannot find a team mate with the ball, and finds an opposing player or touch instead.

Pienaar of course ran his socks off, as he always does, and was actually not bad on the ball, but these things are irrelevant considerations whenever the end result of this endeavour is giving away possession.

This is why I thought he was atrocious ? not because he didn't do the things others are praising him for, but simply because those things were negated by the end result.

Not being able to pass at that level is unforgivable.
Dan Brierley
27   Posted 20/01/2009 at 13:57:35

Ciaran, it was in reference to his Nationality, and using a stereotype. In the same way I am constantly called a ’sheep shagger’ for being welsh. Its just called banter, you can get off your high horse now and go back to your politically correct cave.

Because I use the term ’Fat spanish waiter’ means I have a thing against Spain? Get a grip.

My apologies if I offended you, but I was insulting a Liverpool player, not your country!
Ciarán McGlone
28   Posted 20/01/2009 at 15:49:18

Dan - it was in reference to his nationality?

No shít?

You can shove your apology up your árse...where it can reside with your brain.

The degree of pure racist idiocy involved in labelling an Irishman a ’gypo’, is not salvaged in any form by your cute attempt at exoneration -by the use of the term ’politically correct’.

I am not politically correct, I am however offended by an ignorant ásshole stereotyping a whole race on the basis of their brainless prejudice.

If you want to hide behind anything, then how about hiding behind you’re own stupidity instead of blaming others for your inadequacies as a human being.

Politically correct indeed....what a fúckin excuse.

regards.
Chris Wilson
29   Posted 20/01/2009 at 15:45:03

Pienaar ran his socks off but frequently gave the ball away as previously stated, he will get better without a doubt. Next game we need a winger in Shandy Andy instead of Ossie. COYB!!!!!!!!!!!
Neil Farrell
30   Posted 20/01/2009 at 16:57:40

First off good result, great would be to win.
Second please stop name calling we are all blues.
Finally I personally would like to see AVM come on in last 30 mins for either the industrious Pienaar ( whose passes seem to go astray) or osman who seemed out of the game. Leaving subs until final 5 mins leaves little chance to change much. Also AVM to most teams would be an unknown. If he ain’t good enough then don’t put him on the bench. Right now we are short on fit squad members but he is on the bench early in the season when we had more fit players.

Come on blues for Sunday!!!
Trevor Lynes
31   Posted 20/01/2009 at 17:34:15

The much maligned Victor Anichebe deserves a lot of praise for his one man show up front against Liverpool.He held the ball up very well, crossed for Cahills header that was brilliantly saved and won the foul that brought us the goal.No one else on the park would have caused the much vaunted Liverpool defence as much trouble and certainly not the Yak..I reckon it was Vics best all around game and he deserves a lot of praise.The whole team fought tooth and nail and my special mentions go for the whole of the defence and young Victor up front who worried the life out of Skirtl and Hyppia...the lad has had loads of stick and he should be applauded for Tuesday nights great effort.
My only note of caution is the squad is too small and must be supplemented to see out the season strongly.
I dont want to witness another fade out due to fatigue etc....COYB’s
Ajay Timothy
32   Posted 20/01/2009 at 18:45:37

Get a grip people. The team as a whole - Osman apart did great. You should be celebrating the work ethic, unity and determination of our team instead of slagging each other off.

Heres hoping for another great performance on Sunday.
Gerry Western
33   Posted 20/01/2009 at 21:09:48

Interesting discussion this, a lot has been written about the performances of some members of the team most notably Pienaar and Anichebe. However the performances of each is deserving of more credit than they have been given by some. Yes Pienaar did give the ball away but the reason for this is that Pienaar more than anyone else in the team is always looking to play the early ball. If it comes off it can win you a game, if it fails and its on the edge of your area it can kill you off. What he did manage to do was occupy the thoughts of the opposition always making himself available and looking to run at them - exactly what we needed last night, he was always an outlet.

Big Vic was up against one of the meanest defences in the league and stood up to the physical battering very well in my opinion and not everyone can do that. I thought he gave a really good account of himself. If there was a weak link it was surely Osman, he was awful and is certainly not what you need in a derby game. A lot of debate as to whether Gosling should or should not have played the fact is with Osman going AWOL yet again Gosling would at least have afforded us a physical presence. In a games like that you simply cannot afford to carry passengers.
Jamie Crowley
34   Posted 20/01/2009 at 22:42:49

Regarding the gypo Irishman reference.....
I’m of Irish decent. American. Folks here, 5 generations removed from Ireland, still often assume I drink too much - not true in the least.
Potato eater, drunk, gypo, whatever...

All comments like water off a duck’s back. Solidarity should be the rule here. Ciaran, don’t let it affect you. Laugh, be happy, pay no attention if it gets under your skin. I seriously doubt there was any real malice at all. In fact, I’d doubt it categorically (sp?).

Like water off a duck’s back.
COYB!
Dennis Stevens
35   Posted 20/01/2009 at 23:18:29

I am also offended at the use of the term "gypo" ? surely the appropriate term would be "pikey"?