FAN ARTICLES

The ?Other? Everton

By John Shearon :  10/02/2009 :  Comments (45) :

I first became aware of Everton Football Club in Chile when I saw an article in the Everton v Stoke City F.A. Cup Third Round programme January 1977 (remember Duncan Mackenzie skipping over one chopping tackle after another as he skipped across the park?).

In 1980, aged 20, I managed to make my way down to Viña del Mar, Chile to see the ?Other? Everton in the flesh. The return journey, which included a three month stint teaching English in Lima, Peru and a 4 week sea passage scrubbing decks to get back home, made the experience all the more worthwhile. I docked in Bristol on the Sunday, got home to say hello to the family and on the Tuesday was heading south to Brighton to witness our 3,000th game in the top flight ? it?s amazing how fearless / stupid you are at that age.

In the intervening years I always held a soft spot for our ?cousins? although in the pre-internet age it wasn?t always easy to find news of their achievements ? just as well since the only success was a national cup win 1984.

In 1997 I managed to convince my partner and six year old son that a trip to South America was just the thing they needed in their lives. Although the trip was spiced up with trips to the Amazon basin, beaches and various cultural centres they both knew we would end up watching the ?Other? Everton at some stage.

As we took the two hour flight from the northern Chilean city of Arica to the capital, Santiago, I was filled with excitement about the game I was about to attend there the following day ? plenty of time to get the family to a hotel in the coastal town of Viña del Mar before heading back. Everything was going well until on the way from the airport to the bus station for Viña I spotted a micro-bus with the following message on the back windscreen ?Today, in Santa Laura ? Santiago Morning v Everton?. It?s at times like these that you know you have found your true soul-mate. Heather took the luggage, child and bus to Viña to find a hotel and meet me later at a fixed point ? easy. We lost the match but I managed to get a seat on one of the away coaches thanks to the Everton Home Farm shirt I was wearing. A couple of hours later we were all reunited in the pleasant coastal resort of Viña, none the worse for the abandonment.

Once in Viña I made contact with a few people around the Club ? Jorge Miranda, the man who had given me a lift on the coach back from Santiago, who looked after the Club museum and Luis Ramos Vivanco, General Manager of the Club and Everton fanatic. These two Evertonians have been in constant contact since as we have thought about ways we could get the two Evertons closer and even to play each other one day.

In 2002 I made a return trip to Chile and met up with Luis and Jorge and various supporters clubs, who all expressed a keen interest in Everton Football Club and a possible game between the two Evertons.

On returning home I met up with a group of like-minded Evertonians and formed the Ruleteros Society. One of our first objectives was to produce a history of our Club in Spanish for our Chilean friends. The resulting ?La Historia de Everton Football Club ? Cien Años de Calidad? was printed and distributed to all major Spanish speaking Clubs around the world, as well as our friends in Chile. Amongst the clubs who responded with letters of thanks were Real Madrid and Barcelona.

The next project was to organize a tour to Chile. In 2005, 17 Evertonians converged on Chile from England, Thailand, New Zealand and Germany. Over a three week period we attended various games, trips and functions, the highlight being a match between Everton and Everton at the Club?s gymnasium ? I think we lost but the important thing was that my 15 year old son, Michael, became the first Everton player since 1909 to score in South America. The links between the supporters groups were strengthened, helped not only by the generous gift of two hundred plus shirts collected from Everton fans in the UK but also by the generous participation of Ritchie ?The Flag? Harrison, who appeared for just one weekend and played Santa to so many kids.

In 2007 I made a return trip to Chile and Argentina to collect as much material as possible on not only C.D. Everton but also the trip Everton F.C. and Tottenham made to Argentina & Uruguay in 1909 ? the plan being to write this particular history for C.D. Everton?s centenary in 2009.

Today, in 2009, we are closing in on the centenary of C.D. Everton ? a club whose name was taken from one of the greatest teams in the world at the time. The young founders, both Chileans and Englishmen, established a Club which has over the years maintained a certain reputation within Chile for fair-play, just as we established one for ?scientific? football. Doubt was cast for years as to the real origin of the name ?Everton?. When we discovered that two of the boys who founded the Club in 1909, Frank Boundy and Malcolm Fraser both died on the Somme in 1916, defending their homeland, we realise that there was no coincidence in the choice of name.

This weekend, representatives from C.D. Everton arrived in Liverpool to extend the hand of friendship to Everton F.C. I was fortunate to be present at the Heritage Night at Goodison Park on Friday where the audience for the ?Will Cuff? talk gave the visitors a standing ovation (thanks to Paul Wharton & Keith Wilson for the special touches). I was also present at the Bolton game where everyone connected with the Club rolled out the Blue Carpet and made me feel as proud of Everton F.C. as I have ever felt in my life ? Robert Elstone, Sir Philip & Lady Carter, Keith Tamlin and Bill Kenwright all went out of their way to make our guests feel at home.

Now that formal links have been made between the directors of both Clubs, who knows where we might end up? A match of some sorts between the Clubs, in this the centenary year in Chile (they are reigning national champions and about to participate in the South American Club Championship) might even be possible.

Judging by the warm applause the visitors received at half-time on Saturday I would imagine most Blues would like to see such a game ? after all, we can?t lose.

John "Chile John" Shearon has for years been a tireless advocate of closer ties between the two Evertons and the visit to Goodison Park of the delegation from CD Everton this past weekend is testament to both his passion and commitment and that of the Ruleteros Society in general.

A match between the two clubs will surely rest on the perceived financial benefits, so vocal support for the proposal from ordinary fans can only help in bringing a historic occasion to reality.
Lyndon Lloyd

Reader Comments

Stuart Mckeown
1   Posted 11/02/2009 at 07:31:37

I was in Vina in 2000 and ’popped’ along to Sausalito, but there were no games on at the time. It would be fantastic if a game could be arranged between the 2 clubs. What a piece of world footballing history it would be to register a game between 2 clubs, from different continents with the same name! It is also a potential for Everton UK to expand a fans base to another part of the world other then Asia -albeit a smaller one.
The current economic situation would probably determine the number of blues travelling to Chile (assuming the game will be played in Vina), but having visited Chile twice I would undoubtedly recommend a trip there any day. Its a great country.
Paul Gladwell
2   Posted 11/02/2009 at 10:56:59

Managed to coax my wife there when we where visiting Rio, she was not happy doing this at first but after the holiday we wished we had spent the majority of the time in Chile and not Rio, the people were as friendly as you could wish and if you want to visit a place with a total difference to places you have been here is the place, it was bizzare walking along the beach seeing Everton FC vandalism in such a far away land, the ground is small and ramshackle but it was just a weird and great feeling to go there and we will go back again in time for a longer stay.
Tom Hughes
3   Posted 11/02/2009 at 10:50:16

Great article, I too have had some adventures in South America and would recommend similar to everyone (although my shipping company paid for mine). I’m glad to hear they got the best of treatment by the club, as is fitting for such a historic occasion. However, I have to say I was really disappointed with the half-time announcers efforts. It was a very much rushed, lackluster affair with no build-up to it, to at least prompt a bigger welcome from the crowd, half of whom were already off downstairs. Some video footage and a pre-match announcement of our honoured guests might have helped, not to mention a little less stress on ensuring "kick for the Caribbean" went ok! None of the lads I met up with after the game even realised it had happened which tells its own story. Hopefully a match can take place soon, one well worth saving up for that!

eJ Ruane
4   Posted 11/02/2009 at 11:39:31

Great piece John.

I very much want to do do that trip before I pop my ox-blood Como brogues (and to be fair - it’ll be very difficult after!).

Actually that McKenzie FA Cup game against Stoke you mention, brought back memories.

He had a blinder that day, tried every trick in the book and they all came off.

I remember applauding loads during that game.

The next day, we were on the Sunday footie highlights and Tommy Smith was giving the Man-of-the-match award.

He gave it to....Andy King

When the interviewer said "YOU FUCKING WHAT!!? YOU POC-MARKED, UGLY TW...."

I’m kidding he didn’t say that, but he DID say something like..

"Tommy, are you sure you’re not overlooking Duncan McKenzie? Everton supporters might not be too happy with your choice".

Smith (with all the good grace of Silverback with a bad case of the Rockfords) said something about it ’not being a circus’ (?)

I think that was when I really started to see the difference between them (spit!) and us and when I first realised they were, as my family had always told me - pure evil.
Michael Coffey
5   Posted 11/02/2009 at 12:36:21

Smith’s exact words were "I’ve no time for these Flickety-witch players" .

3 months later Mckenzie was back-heeling the ball over his head at Maine Rd, leaving Smith scything at thin air.
Colin Wilkes
6   Posted 11/02/2009 at 12:46:54

Fantastic article John keep up the good work. I have always wanted to visit South America and when I do it would be great to see Everton. Amazing to think that this 100-year-old club has come about thanks to the passion of a couple of true blues.

I have managed to convert many of my Spanish friends into Everton fans, bribing them with shirts sharing their hatred for Rafa etc etc. A few of them have been to games with me when visiting and now always look out for our scores.

Is there anywhere I can get hold of this Historia de Everton? I am sure it would make a fantastic present.

Mark Gawne
7   Posted 11/02/2009 at 13:35:39

I would be interested in getting a couple of copies of Historia de Everton.
Peter Howard
8   Posted 11/02/2009 at 16:52:35

Any chance of sending a copy of Historia de Everton to the FSW- it will help him while away the time in Ashworth.
Chris Jones
9   Posted 11/02/2009 at 17:19:24

Hi John, thanks for the update, I´m always interested to hear news of the ruleteros. I am planning to be in Viña on or around the 23rd of this month and was wondering if you could put me in touch with any locals or offer any advice about how to get the best out of the Chilean Everton experience. You can email me at cdjonesathotmail.co.uk. Thanks in advance, Chris Jones.
John Shearon
10   Posted 11/02/2009 at 17:24:17

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Re the book "La Historia de Everton - Cien Años de Calidad", please send a cheque for £5.50 (including UK p&p) to The Ruleteros Society, 17 Cecil Road, Dronfield, S18 2GW.
Tony Kelly
11   Posted 11/02/2009 at 18:27:47

EJ, could you tell me where you get your ox-blood cosmo?s? Brings back memories of the "swinging sixties".... Roy Vernon, Bobby Collins, Alex Young ? great memories, great players.
Dean Williamson
12   Posted 11/02/2009 at 19:42:28

I was in Vina in 2007 and went down the ground wearing my Everton shirt. I was s topped in the streets and kids and their dads had pictures taken with me. They were so nice and said they followed our Everton as well as their own. I tried to buy a CD Everton shirt but they were all sold out. My friend is Chilean living in Liverpool and is bringing me one back next month. I stuck a few photos of me wearing my shirt inside the Sausilito on Bluekipper in the Joggers snapshots section.

Chile is a great country. I?d love to see a game between the 2 Evertons.
Dennis Stevens
13   Posted 11/02/2009 at 22:41:45

Great to hear our club treated the officials from Chile appropriately. Surely the real dream has to be the 2 clubs meeting in the final of the World Club Championship ? one day, eh?
Tommy Roberts
14   Posted 11/02/2009 at 23:34:59

Gracias John... Brought back great memories of our trip... Ever for EVERTON!
Paul Hanlon
15   Posted 12/02/2009 at 07:08:24

I too have been to Viña... my ex wife (the bitch) was from there and had never told me about CD Everton. Imagine my surprise when we went past the Club Rooms in Viña (not at the stadium). I seem to remember that Everton F C had an away shirt not disimiliar to CD Everton?s ? I think in the 90s sometime.
Dupont Koo
16   Posted 12/02/2009 at 08:45:35

Chile John: Thanks for the memories and introduction to our cousins in SUD AMERICA! When I think of the Red Shites having nothing close to the History and Traditions (even in a different continent) that we have, it makes me feel more proud to be a Blue!

Dennis Stevens: I would love to see the 2 Evertons squaring off in an OFFICIAL FIFA Tournament as Continental Champions as well!

COYB!
Chris Lawlor
17   Posted 12/02/2009 at 11:38:05

Viva Ruleteros!

This is a unique oppurtunity for the club to make a little bit of history. I hope that this comes to fruition one day, why not for the opening game at our new shiny stadium in Kirkby?
Andy Rannard
18   Posted 12/02/2009 at 16:38:06

Chris Lawlor... you just had to spoil the romance of it all didn?t you...
Ed Fitzpatrick
19   Posted 12/02/2009 at 20:38:25

Dupont Koo

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you have look at the top division in Uruguay you will find a team called Liverpool. They are based in Montevideo. They got their name by pure chance. Ironically the play in the same colours as Inter Milan, ha ha Blue! and always have done since about 1917. They adopted the shites kit as their away colours in 2005-06. They have never won fuck all (good!) and they play at a ground that used to belong to someone else (some similarity then!).

We can't even have South America to ourselves when we have clearly given them Scandanavia!

Just goes to show that shite gets everywhere

PS - They are sixth in the Primera at present, just like the RS no chance of a title for another year.
Carolyn Powell
20   Posted 12/02/2009 at 21:08:03

Tom Hughes, you got that bang on about the div with the mike. I was at the Will Cuff night prior to the game and our Chillean frinds were there (even though three of them couldn?t talk or speak English) and then they get a shabby introduction of that git. Their chairman gave a little speech on how the two clubs bonded with each other and how he would love to play us on their centenary. Anyway it was a great night and a pleasure to be there with them.
Tony Heslop
21   Posted 12/02/2009 at 22:19:20

Juan Foxley, who gave the speech at the Cuff evening, was very taken with the sense of and respect for history and this was conveyed in no uncertain terms to everyone he came into contact with. I was made up with the reception they got on the Friday night and, although things were a bit too "busy" on the pitch on Saturday, they were delighted with the way they were received and looked after.

Like John, I felt Everton Football Club, led by Robert Elstone, stepped up to the plate. A game would be great, co-operation between the two Evertons is assured and, whilst he won?t thank me for saying this, John deserves a pat on the back for 30 plus years of tireless effort to get us to this point.

By the way, Mike Coffey, have you a) been punting and b) eaten haslet sandwiches recently? Nil satis nisi opimum as our shirts once said.

Juan Foxley
22   Posted 12/02/2009 at 23:31:14

Dear Evertonians
back in Chile from the unforgettable visit to Goodison last week, may I once again thank you all for the superb hospitality.
To Paul Wharton for putting in place a most meaningful and inspiring history night. Chilean Everton was founded as an amateur team...yes, not for the business of hit and rush as I learned memorable William Cuff would likely say.

To Tony Heslop for his patience and dedication in helping to build up this emerging brotherhood.

Last but never least, to John Shearon. As here again proved, he is not only a most knowledgeable scholar on Everton Chile´s history. Tirelessly and with unmatchable perseverance, he is-of course most of you know- the leader and the soul of this ongoing adventure of bringing together the these two Evertons, 100 years after.
Cheers, John...cheers Ruleteros!
With all my gratitude
Juan Foxley
Ste McKenny
23   Posted 13/02/2009 at 01:21:43

Big hand for John, Let's make history. Get the two sides together and show the rest of the world that the true spirit of football for the working class has not died. Viva Everton.
On a more serious note has Jags got rid of that Spanish wart on his arse pocket!!!! AHEM.COYB
Mark McDonald
24   Posted 13/02/2009 at 06:28:36

Greetings/Hola. It’s great to see the ties between our two clubs is still strong and growing. I really hope the clubs can arrange a game or two. I think I am the only Ruleteros member in New Zealand, John, can verify that! I was there (at the Sausalito) in 2005 (November) with my family. I gave Luis my collection of Everton scarves. The season was over but we had a tour of the ground and clubrooms. Viva Ruleteros!
Lee Jamieson
25   Posted 13/02/2009 at 11:57:38

Great story, John ? you are the essence of what it is to be a blue. Do you know how to get hold of any CD Everton shirts? I think they could be quite cool, maybe Juan can send a few over and see how they sell. I have set myself a target to go to Chile and watch Everton play with South American flair!
Chris McGinn
26   Posted 13/02/2009 at 20:21:50

Good article John.
I first came across the Chilean Everton in Brian Glanville’s "World Soccer" magazine in the early seventies. I was intrigued that they had ’our’ name. It’s great to see the two clubs forming links across the ocean (and rain forest etc),
I really hope a match between the two clubs can be arranged soon.
Paul Wharton
27   Posted 13/02/2009 at 21:13:58

John knows I was at this Stoke game and had seen the same article, my dream was Everton v Everton in the World Club Championship as we could not lose.

John has the respect of all the Evertonians I know of what he set out to achieve; we are now the closest we have ever been to getting a game on, let's just hope it can come together.

The Everton Shareholders Association are holding their annual dinner on March 14th in honour of CD Everton. The great Ray Wilson will be guest of honour as he has played on the two Everton?s ground?s. £35 three-course meal, if anyone would like to attend please email me: paulwhartonefc@btinternet.com.

It has been fantastic in helping John and the Ruleteros Society. Let's keep banging the drum.

Let's not forget that if the great Will C Cuff had not given the go ahead 100 years ago to tour South America we would not be talking about the Everton clubs that now exist in South America (Argentina/Urauguy as well).

All the best to all Evertonians all round the world.

John Shearon
28   Posted 13/02/2009 at 23:38:26

As Paul Wilcox points out, there are clubs bearing the name of Everton all over Argentina & Uruguay. In June, as part of the trip to celebrate the centenary in Chile, a small group of Evertonians from the UK plan to call in on Club Everton in La Plata, just outside Buenos Aires and Club Everton, in the small Uruguayan town of Rosario. If we had more time (and money) we could also call in on similar clubs in Argentina in Cordoba, Santa Fé and Moldes.

I don?t know the history of these clubs, except the team from La Plata which changed its name from 25 de Mayo in 1909 as a result of our tour, but I suspect they are all "football" related, unless the district of Everton somehow developed a reputation in South America for the exotic. Everton FC is not alone in having teams in South America named after them - Rangers Chile, Corinthians in Brazil are just two.

Liverpool is not one of them, however ? the Montevideo club was founded in 1908 as a school team (College of Capuchin Fathers) and changed its name in 1915 to Liverpool ? legend has it that the globe was spun and a grubby finger landed on the city). I would imagine that the port name of the hundreds / thousands of ships passing through Montevideo might have influenced the decision.

Had the choice been made for footballing reasons why would these kids have chosen a team from the lower half of the First Division instead of, for example, the eventual champions that year ? Everton?

Luis Ramos Vivanco
29   Posted 14/02/2009 at 12:27:27

A great salute to Los Cousins Evertonianos from Viña del Mar, Chile. Great article by John and also very gratified to see that there is interest in moving forward with the two joined Evertons.

Our leaders have been impressed by the reception from members of The Society Ruleteros, the directors of Everton FC, and especially surprised and excited of the ovation 40,000 Evertonians, for them and for CD Everton.

My thanks go to all my friends Ruleteros, this is the beginning of a new step in further enhancing ties, the game at Goodison would be spectacular.

Finally, a great endorsement for this "Don Quixote" that was John Shearon, his years of struggle to achieve this union is a truly extraordinary work. Congratulations and greetings to all my Evertonian cousins.

John Shearon
30   Posted 14/02/2009 at 12:51:31

Sorry, Paul, I don?t think Paul Wilcox was old enough to have been at the Stoke game ? even though he will be visiting Chile with us in the summer, and not for the first time ? just old gits like ourselves.
Dave Worrall
31   Posted 14/02/2009 at 22:43:48

Absolutely fantastic information. Next time we’re in Buenos Aires to visit my wife’s family, we’ll definitelty be taking in the Everton’s of La Plata and Belgrano/Moldes.
Let’s hope the CDE v EFC match comes off this year. It would be a real tribute to all involved, past and present.
Paul Wilcox
32   Posted 15/02/2009 at 09:04:51

What do you mean... I remember it like it was yesterday! Don?t be fooled by these boyish good looks. My first actual visit to Goodison was for the thrashing of Wimbledon 8 - 0 (in the League Cup I think). I remember the scoreboard was a blur of 8s and 9s as, if I remember correctly, Latch and Martin Dobson shared the goals between them.

Didn?t Duncan McKenzie throw a Mini and jump over a golf ball as well?

But, back on subject, great to hear that the club pulled out all the stops for the Chilean delegation ? the piece in the Valpo star certainly gave the impression that it was appreciated. All we need now is to get a game sorted between the two clubs. Just imagine a game in which Everton couldn?t lose!
Nich Starling
33   Posted 15/02/2009 at 09:51:15

I thought big Bob got 5 goals and Dobson 3 ?
Joseph Howard
34   Posted 15/02/2009 at 10:52:38

Does anybody know where abouts we can buy the Chillean teams shirt from?
Ian Stewart
35   Posted 17/02/2009 at 23:14:21

John, I am very impressed at how you have managed to push CD Everton onto the agenda of BK et al. Let's hope that a game does get organised as the culmination of all your efforts... and that it's at Goodison.

We went to Viña del Mar a few years back as part of a school rugby tour that my son was playing in and visited the ground, had pictures taken on the pitch etc. We still have 2 replica shirts of CD Everton so the boys would be able to go and cheer on both sides for the one and only time. As the tour also took in Argentina we didn't realise until tonight that we missed the chance to visit a few more spiritual homes.

Since we went we have followed your reports on TW with interest and wish you every success in your venture.
Colin Evans
36   Posted 18/02/2009 at 12:28:39

Fond memories. Used to go to Chile at least twice a year on business, when I was based in South Africa. Our distributor in Santiago, Pedro Chubretovic, was an ?Azul Chileno? as he attended the Universidad de Santa Maria in Valparaiso. We went there often, and popped into the old mansion where the directors met. Took loads of great piccies, and came away with some old Everton (Chile) proeys.

They have a very loyal support, and have to travel miles if they play in the north of Chile, such as Arica, Antofagasta, and Iquique. Evertonians are the chosen ones. Does anybody remember The Popye Club in Valparaiso. Where are all the blue sailors, merchant and royal.

Tony Heslop
37   Posted 18/02/2009 at 13:39:27

And it was a good night last night for the Oro y Cielo boys - 1-0 at home to caracas in the first Copa Libertadores game. Let?s all hitch there for the return game ? bring sandwiches and Cumbernauld sausage. John Gordon Sinclair eat your heart oot. (That?s enough Gregory?s Girl references ? ed.)
Rich Williams
38   Posted 19/02/2009 at 17:03:32

Fascinating article; thanks John.
Darren Gough
39   Posted 20/02/2009 at 15:14:26

Really good read John, and kudos on your efforts.

One question: is there a recommended place you can pick up a CD Everton replica shirt? I reckon that would be a pretty cool item to own.
John Shearon
40   Posted 23/02/2009 at 16:48:57

Everton Shirts: I’ve been in touch with the Club and told them of the interest there is here from fans wishing to buy their shirts. They are looking into setting up a credit card payment facility - as soon as they confirm this I’ll pass the news on.
Darren Gough
41   Posted 26/02/2009 at 10:40:38

Great, thanks for following it up
Rob Skeldon
42   Posted 28/02/2009 at 13:42:05

Anyone looking for a shirt....
this guy is selling them on ebay.
they are hard to find online and expensive from specialist websites. this guy claims to be a blue too.
Also i think the Everton Vs Everton friendly is a brilliant idea, ive been to chile the they are a big club with healthy support, should be a good occasion for all involved.
Matthew Burgess
43   Posted 07/03/2009 at 20:23:25

Nice to see links being developed with CD Everton.

I?m a bit of a South American football buff myself and their competiting the Copa Libertadores at the moment (equivalent of Champions League).

Apparently after winning the Chilean championship last year they?ve struggled to regain their form. Hope that the club?s can make an official partnership of some sort.
Darren Gough
44   Posted 08/03/2009 at 08:46:34

....the way things are going in the treatment room we might need to borrow some players!
John Doyle
45   Posted 10/04/2009 at 17:58:18

How do you buy one of the Chile Everton shirts?