FAN ARTICLES

Blue Renaissance

By Joe Jennings :  11/02/2009 :  Comments (19) :

Our recent upturn in fortunes has had me thinking: I have endured a torrid Everton upbringing, at times a depressing and lonesome journey... but finally, after all the pain, images of utopia are flooding into my mind. For once, my dreams are not easily discardable, and instead, a tangible reality.

One thing I have always harboured is hope. The images of my Evertonian utopia seem almost upon us: bold, striding, confident, their arms flung out as if to claim space, their legs apart, feet planted squarely on the earth. There is something renaissance about Everton at present, and I like it.

Everton, it's an enthralling name, isn't it? It suggests one adventure after another, one disappointment after another, one improvement after another, and one joy after another. It suggests rejuvenation, pain overcome and transcended, and endless love. The real promise in Everton, for me personally, is immortality.

I look at David Moyes and I see a jungle cat, eyes focused, fixed for the pounce. No quailing, no clinging on, but relentless desire. Maybe David Moyes revels in the belief he can attain our former glories ? after all, some of us retain an appreciation for the old things, Evertonians more than most.

For long periods of my Everton puberty, I had treated watching Everton as a chore, an unpleasant chore to be gone through as fast as possible so it could be over with, a regimented obligation. Steel myself, my Dad would say, before exams I was not so confident about, or matters that were of concern to me. I never thought that much at the time about what the phrase meant, but it had something to do with metal, with armour, and that's what I would do, I would steel myself, because I was an Evertonian.

As Evertonians, we unite for each other, it is our duty. Helping one another in our daily Everton chores as we walk the path of an Evertonian life together, we each perform our appointed task. There can be bonds of real affection that form from this.

But what, I ask, makes us keep going back for more? Is it because we are all, in our own little way, an integral part of the Everton armoury? Is it because to our beloved Everton, we are more than just a body? Is it because to Everton, we are not just a boat with no cargo, a chalice with no wine, an oven minus the bun? Is it because we can fight, we can wrangle, we can name-call, but it won't change anything underneath? Is it because she will always be my first, last and everything? Probably all of the above.

Living with your head in the sand doesn't create utopia. So what do we do? At Everton ? to quote Al Pacino ? we fight for that inch. We scrap, we battle, we sweat, and we bleed for that inch, because quite frankly, we know no other way.

Evertonianism can be considered our disease, our malfunction, but we desire no remedy, not really anyway. Things are looking up, the sky is Blue, anyone can be red, but you're born to be Blue.

Joe Jennings - a proud member of the shatterproof family, the Evertonian family.

Reader Comments

Derek Turnbull
1   Posted 12/02/2009 at 10:14:54

Joe, you?re a great writer with nothing of interest to say. No doubt you?ll end up working for the Echo, chuffed to bits because you get to speak to the likes of all the players. Just like Prentice, you?ll be too scared to upset your lovey dovey position and continue to write mindless rubbish because you because you?re scared to challenge the status quo.
Andy Vaughan
2   Posted 12/02/2009 at 10:41:18

Derek Turnbull, spot on.

I?m getting fed up of Jennings and his gushing, cringeworthy drivel. Once was enough but this is the 3rd embarrassing piece in the last 2 weeks.

We get the picture Joe, you love Everton and have got little else in your life. The way you go on you?d think Everton played like Barcelona and had just won the treble.

Give it a rest lad, as much as you like to think otherwise, we?re not ?different?, we?ve still got two arms, two legs and our team still play the same game as all the others.

You actually make the kopites sound down to earth.
EJ Ruane
3   Posted 12/02/2009 at 13:41:55

I’ll be honest - I’m frightened.
Norman Cotterill
4   Posted 12/02/2009 at 14:19:17

That is the most embarrassing piece of drivel I have had the misfortune to cast a world weary eye over. Get a life.
Sam Morrison
5   Posted 12/02/2009 at 14:45:43

Seems the family is unimpressed Joe, even if you are a ?friend of ours?.

Seriously, we all like your motivation but it?s beginning to seem like the thing you really love is the sound of your own voice.
Brett Bradshaw
6   Posted 12/02/2009 at 15:14:44

Take it on the chin Joe, nice post!
Phil Martin
7   Posted 12/02/2009 at 15:57:43

Joe, I think we appreciate the sentiment but this one sounds like something that prick Tyldesly would come out with when talking about his beloved Man Ushited...
Nick Entwistle
8   Posted 12/02/2009 at 15:57:29

Yeah I was trying to find a point to this artical and wondered why it was published (unlike my wonderful A Funny Thing Happened Down Goodison Way... I’m still waiting for te 40th reply by the way!) and though I wouldn’t be so rude as to say the above comments, I can only agree with what they say... because they HAVE A POINT.
Neil Steele
9   Posted 12/02/2009 at 20:02:43

An Evertonian gushing about what Everton means to him.... what a terrible crime!! Sounds as though some of you are a little bitter for some reason, maybe it is you fellas who need more going on in your life, not Joe!?

I?m always interested in what you have to say mate, whether cutting edge or not, because quite simply you exude enthusiasm and passion for the club that we all love. Chin up, lad!
Micky Norman
10   Posted 12/02/2009 at 20:47:52

Joe, you need a girlfriend. Your romantic talent is wasted here.
Blair Johnson
11   Posted 12/02/2009 at 21:19:33

Joe ... we?ve had a good run since Christmas... with one great win against the red shite. That?s really it! I hope it continues for your sake ... if Villa beat us you?ll be a wreck!
Dara Vaughan
12   Posted 12/02/2009 at 22:29:44

Joe lad did touch on something with the family theme... It's a small one if fanatically loyal but shouldn't we be trying to increase its size? The marketing side seems to have collapsed into the kirby sunset for the moment... anything happening on that front? Investment? I fear we're not cashing in on this squad of players and all things Everton....
Coyb
Poor Joe.
Ste McKenny
13   Posted 13/02/2009 at 01:29:25

Joe me arl mucker am no top head but that was wordy that piece mate!

If you ever had a time when going the match was a "chore" then try watchin rugby union from your top bunk in your middle class Cambridge dorm... 'ave a word.

through thick and thin from Lee to Kendall to Walker and Smith through to Moyes. If you don;t like bumpy rides then get off. It's not for pussies.

Michael Wylie
14   Posted 13/02/2009 at 01:56:12

I think you're mental. It's a game of football!! When something important happens in your life like the birth of a child, or being made redundant, or the death of friend or close relative. Then what you?ve been wittering about will find its true place.

Quite funny though

Cheerio
Martin Cutler
15   Posted 13/02/2009 at 00:49:55

Joe, first and foremost your post was probably slightly over the top but no more so than the rather insensitive comments by those replying to your post. You?re just putting into words how most of us feel but probably wouldn?t put on paper (so to speak).

The recent run (also reminiscent of part of last season) is not just a win or a bit of good play... it?s bloody fantastic... and we should (as we are) be bloody proud of the lads and DM... no wonder it inspires you to write... over the top or otherwise!

You also touch on a point that I happen to think is very true. This feeling (whatever you want to call it, however you want to write about it, or not) of being in a rather select band of football club supporters i.e. those that support the one and only: EVERTON!

COYB!!!!
Sam Morrison
16   Posted 13/02/2009 at 08:37:15

Joe, rereading my post it sounds pretty snide, so I?d like to retract it. Apologies. However I still agree with those above who say this feels overwritten... over-exuberance is no crime of course, and it?s great you feel so much for Everton. But I just feel your earlier pieces struck a chord whereas this one is attempting to yank me heartstrings, y?know?
Chris Jones
17   Posted 14/02/2009 at 10:12:14

Ignore the negative comments, Joe. Loved it mate ? nothing wrong with a bit of blue-eyed romanticism on Valentine's Day.

"I look at David Moyes and I see a jungle cat, eyes focused, fixed for the pounce." ? one of the best lines I?ve ever read on Toffeeweb. Sums him up completely.

Nil Satis.
Simon Church
18   Posted 15/02/2009 at 22:46:31

Absolute horrible and boring read I am afraid.
Alan Smith
19   Posted 16/02/2009 at 17:19:54

Joe, would you jump in front of a incoming train for the cause?

It annoys me when people think the club is the be all and end all of their lives. I don?t think they?re being completely honest with themselves the way they go on. I half expect you to settle down at night with a nice Teddy with Everton rosettes on instead of a bonafide wife.