FAN ARTICLES

Alan, Imre, Dave and Don

By Mike Owen :  12/02/2009 :  Comments (23) :
Oh, the joy of Alan Ball leaping what seemed to be 7ft to volley that ball into the Liverpool net to knock the Reds out of the FA Cup in 1967. Oh the joy of Imre Varadi scoring at the Street End to put them out of the Cup in 1981. Oh the joy of Dave Watson knocking them out in 1991. Oh the joy of Dan Gosling's pirouette and shot last week to put the Blues into the next round.

But will this year be different? Because in '67, '81 and '91, we never went on to Wembley. Despair was just up the road.

The names Ian Storey-Moore, Tommy Hutchison and Stuart Slater will jog a few memories.

After knocking out the Reds in '67 we went to Nottingham Forest in the next round and, if I'm not mistaken, we took a 2-0 lead before crumbling as Storey-Moore scored a hat-trick. We were out. The irony was that, if memory serves me right, Forest were managed by Johnny Carey who had been sacked by John Moores to make way for Harry Catterick.

After knocking out the Reds in '81, we went to Southampton and beat them in a Goodison replay in the Eamonn O'Keefe game when the little fella we signed from non-league football scored the winner for us in extra-time. This was the night there could have been a disaster outside Goodison when the gates were shut before kick-off with thousands still outside, some of whom legged it round to the Enclosure entrance by the Church. That rectangle of space became a heaving mass of bodies. It was scary. In the 6th round we were drawn against Manchester City. It was a mean and moody affair and a young Kevin Ratcliffe was sent off, having been deemed to have butted Tommy Hutchison. We drew 2-2 and lost the replay.

After knocking out the Reds in '91, we were drawn away at West Ham. Our dreams were ripped apart by Stuart Slater, a super-starlet on his way to nowhere.

David Moyes has been here seven years, but he still hasn't experienced the fervour of Evertonians when the Blues are on a proper, good FA Cup run. It's something else. I love it when We Shall Not Be Moved is wheeled out. But whatever happened to the E-V-E-R-T-O-N, Everton, Everton song? And that 80s' mantra, Come On You Blues, Come On You Blues? The words aren't exactly hard to learn. Not like our 70s' song When You're Smiling.

Will 2009 be the year? More than anything, I'd like to see the Evertonians aged under 21 have a day out at Wembley. There are North Koreans who have had more joy than our young Blues.

I think you'll find both semis are being held at Wembley this year. That makes it one game easier to get to Wembley, and tickets for a semi will be easier to get than for the final.

Am I getting ahead of myself here? I remember this talk before, the thought that knock out Liverpool and it's an automatic bye to Wembley. So I've been pleased to read of a few of the players saying it's no good knocking Liverpool out if we don't progress further in the Cup. Well lads, it is good, it's very, very good, but I know what you mean and it's great that you intend to go further.

Villa will obviously be a tough game, possibly a grim one. I predict a draw and a win for us in the replay. Then obviously an away trip in the 6th Round - to Swansea or Fulham. Just you wait and see.

Reader Comments

John Maxwell
1   Posted 13/02/2009 at 02:49:46

Cant wait for the game on Sunday... two sides really on top of their game. Should be a classic English FA Cup tie with a cracking atmosphere.

This game is just as big as the Liverpool game... plenty at stake; would hate for us to lose... but I can see us winning this one... 2-0. Then who knows !! A good draw in the next round.

Can't really see us getting any higher than 6th in the EPL this season. So would be great to get the semis at least of the FA Cup.
Dave Wilson
2   Posted 13/02/2009 at 06:27:45

Sobbering thoughts, Mike. And thanks for the history lesson, I didn't realise Johnny Carey was the Forest boss. I remember the game though, in those days you had to rely on BBC updates to keep you informed.

I was absolutely gutted when Storey-Moore netted their third. For months later, every little RS on Scottie Rd seemed to want to call himself Storey-Moore.
Every game you played in. watched, or even walked passed, you would hear goals being scored by "I-AN-STOR-REE-MOORE" ? they were even gobshites back then. I obviously never met the man but I grew to hate the name.

A timely warning Mike, let's hope it's heeded.

Alasdair Mackay
3   Posted 13/02/2009 at 08:36:29

As if beating Liverpool and the opportunity it presents is not motivation enough to press on in the FA Cup, I really want us to knock out Villa as revenge for the floodlight robbery they performed at Goodison earlier in the season. I have heard a couple of the players saying the same thing (maybe not in so many words) so I am encouraged that they will have sufficient motivation for this round.

Beyond that ? who knows? If we get past Villa and then draw either Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U, then go on to Wembley, no-one can say we don?t deserve to be there!

COYB!
Derek Turnbull
4   Posted 13/02/2009 at 09:37:28

Mike Owen, I enjoyed your article and all the other works I?ve read. Can I take this opportunityto ask you a question unrelated to this article though please?

In your book ?Der ball ist Rund? you told about the differences in the Gwladys Street and the Kop and the reason why many fans where attracted to the atmosphere of the Kop. This was something I have totally agreed with for your years, so my question then, if you remove the location argument to one side, now that Everton finally have the chance to design a great End Stand to rival the Kop, how much much of a wasted opportunity do you think it is that we have designed the worst type of End Stand for atmosphere?
Phil Bellis
5   Posted 13/02/2009 at 10:32:11

Thanks for the memories, Mike, I think that Forest game was the first time I?d realised that great Everton team were fallible (was Rankin in goal?). My treasured blue-striped Wembley boater ended up floating in the Trent

The only smile on the day was listening to the rerun of the Foinavon National on the coach home. A harsh lesson ? even the Summer of Love couldn?t take away all the disappointment (but I gave it a good go!).

Peter Howard
6   Posted 13/02/2009 at 10:43:03

Good point well made, Mike.
On a pedantic note, Varadi?s goal was in the Park End-ask theshite fan who hit him with a pie! Incidentally, I was in the Queen?s that night having a meal with (my now) Mrs and Varadi was at the next table. It took enormous resolve on my part to leave him in peace ? perhaps that?s why my Mrs married me.
Nick Entwistle
7   Posted 13/02/2009 at 11:03:39

Sucks Wembley has the semi finals. Always devalues the final. But hey, when you knock down Wembley, hold it in Cardiff and build a 90,000 hospitality suite then that?s the way it goes...
Kase Chow
8   Posted 13/02/2009 at 12:03:13

Is the game on telly?
David Johnson
9   Posted 13/02/2009 at 12:43:02

The memory of the cup tie against Forest was getting on the train after the match and a bloke with his two lads told us to "Cheer up lad?s we?ll beat them in the replay". When we told him Storey-Moore had scored the winner just before the end and we were out of the cup, his two lads burst into tears and he spent the journey home trying to cheer them up. Served him right for making an early dart for the train.
Alex Robinson
10   Posted 13/02/2009 at 13:08:27

Kase - the game’s on Setanta in the UK. Not sure about elsewhere.
Terry White
11   Posted 13/02/2009 at 17:14:16

The Varadi goal was at the Park end... Johnny Carey was NOT the Forest manager when we lost to them 3-2. Rankin was in goal that day. We led 1-0, then trailed 2-1 before the equalizer and Storey-Moore?s late winner.
Steve Edwards
12   Posted 13/02/2009 at 16:58:47

Just heard that Fellaini will be missing for the Villa game... massive blow. With Villa?s away form I?d settle for a draw right now and hope we can do them on their ground where they look a bit more vulnerable. Who knows, we may have the big fella back for that one and possibly Peanuts as well.

I well remember that Forest game... I was completely gutted. I can still recall the goal that Storey-Moore scored and even the goal celebrations that followed!
Anthony Lamb
13   Posted 13/02/2009 at 17:45:49

Now THERE is a coincidence! With the game against Villa coming up on Sunday I got to thinking of a "memorable" game I witnessed against Villa in my early teens. Lo and behold when I checked my records there it was - 1958-59 season. 14 Feb 1959. Venue, Goodison. Round of the cup? 5th, Everton v Villa,. Score? Everton 1 Villa 4!!!

I couldn?t believe that 50 years later, almost to the day we would be playing them again at home in the same round of the cup! I think it sent Villa on their way to their post-Munich final against Utd. Just a coincidence really isn?t it? It certainly couldn?t happen again.... could it??!!

Andy Amey
14   Posted 13/02/2009 at 18:12:54

Remember the Southampton game like it was yesterday. Fantastic atmosphere extra time and Goodison absolutely buzzing..............memories!
Karl Masters
15   Posted 13/02/2009 at 18:15:36

Anthony.

Football throws up these dates and coincidences quite a lot. When we played Liverpool at Anfield in the last round it was 28 years to the day (except this time we played on Sunday 25th for TV and not Sat 24th as in 1981) since we put them out.

We did also play Villa at Goodison in the Cup on a Sunday in February 9 years ago and lost 2-1, although that year it was the Quarter Final becausde they played the 3rd Round before Christmas for some reason and we met on Feb 20th.

That defeat after a couple of Tommy Myhre mistakes still rankles as we?d have been playing Championship side Bolton in the Semi?s and would surely have played Chelsea in the last ever Final at old Wembley. On the other hand it hastened Smith?s departure and that is something that has turned out to be a great thing with the coming of the Moyesiah!
Mike Owen
16   Posted 13/02/2009 at 19:44:47

I thought Storey-Moore would strike a chord. I was 10 and did not go to the game, but I can remember trudging around our estate after the game with a right gob on me. We were of course the Cup holders until Storey-Moore pounced. Were we 2-1 up, rather than 2-0 up? As I said, I might have been mistaken.

But just checked Forest website and it says Carey was manager.

Varadi scored in the Park End? You guys may be right. By 1981 I?d started pre-match drinking. But I have this abiding memory of standing in the Enclosure and Varadi wheeling away after scoring in the second half at the Enclosure side of the Street End. Certainly remember for days after, Blues going into the pub and asking for a Varadi and Coke.

Derek,
Glad you enjoyed Der Ball Ist Rund: Everton In Europe. Didn?t have the marketing power I would have liked behind it, but I modestly reckon it is one of the best Everton books, partly because it covers a thread of Everton history that is often overlooked and it looks at some issues in a fresh way. I like to think there is some humour in there too.

I certainly see March 1971 as the turning point in our history. We should have trounced Panathinaikos at Goodison in 1971 and gone through to the European Cup semi-finals and it was our fault that we didn?t.

Der Ball Ist Rund however points out that it had been arranged for the Greeks to go all the way from their hotel in Liverpool city centre to Southport for training and they were unhappy about that, then Shankly offered them Melwood! Then we lost the FA Cup semi to the Reds and the balance of power has been in their favour ever since, certainly in outsiders? eyes.

As for the Kop/uncovered Street End issue, they ended up stealing a march on us there. As for The End in Kirkby, I have not really looked at the proposed design due to a lack of enthusiasm for the move there. Regards atmosphere in the future, I see the biggest problem as keeping our gates above 30,000 due to so many games being on TV and internet, plus the price of admission and increasing levels of unemployment. We need a great Cup run to inspire and rejuvenate the Everton fanbase and counter such negative factors. I will be interested to see what the gate is on Sunday, given it is on TV. 32,500?

BTW, we did once knock out Liverpool and go on to win the FA Cup, but that was before Wembley was built. The year was 1906. Perhaps John Shearon can tell us if some of those players were on the boat to South America in 1909. They?ll make a film out of that one day.

Toby Bruce
17   Posted 13/02/2009 at 23:02:37

I loved this article. Very apt and very good sense of history here. I love supporters who can revive the past like this. Any chance we can see the Veradi game on youtube? (or any others for that matter if anyone can put them up!).

I can recall shopping in Croydon as kid and in the Whitgift centre seeing final score on the TV rental shop the 2-1 scoreline. I could not believe it! I remember the commentator on Match of the Day or The Big Match saying when Liverpool scored their only goal ?is this going to be October all over again?. Everton had been 2 up in the October 1980 derby only for Pool to equalize. They didn?t luckily in that game. The Man City replay was sickening as Everton got drubbed 3-1.

The Aston Villa quater final of 2000 was a good game. Everton were quite strong at that point under Smith and were unlucky to loose.

I actually have a soft spot for Aston Villa, they are a side who I feel resemble Everton in their history and achievements and Premier League league attainments generally. I don?t want them to win ? but I want a tight honorable 3-2 win for Everton to balance things up. *If * Villa do win, then I want them to win the cup, and stop the sky 3s plans. (Heskey is a doubt for Villa as his achilles is hurt after the international vs Spain.)
John Shearon
18   Posted 13/02/2009 at 23:31:13

Mike, it would appear that only Balmer and Taylor survived the 1906 final to take the boat to South America in 1909, although some players may have still been at the Club, preferring to opt out of the 3-month tour.
Adrian Davies
19   Posted 14/02/2009 at 03:00:20

Mike

Nice article and the book is a very good read. Thanks for sending down the extra copies ? they were well received by fellow Blues here. Drinking pre-match is not always a good thing ? Tottenham away this season, Mike, will bring back one or two memories - Ian MacDonald is such a bad influence ? senior and junior.

Thanks again, Mike, for a good article and a great book. I have a feeling that I will be back home in May to watch the Cup Final. See you then.

Adie, Brisbane, Australia.
Denis Byrne
20   Posted 14/02/2009 at 13:00:20

I have a recollection of playing Villa late 80s in the cup at GP, winning 4-1, (?), with Andy King getting a few (?), Dobson dominant and we were awesome. I was at Swansea Uni at the time and my Villa mate came up for the game. I recall the St End a heaving mass of twirling scarves above the heads and the ?Tell me ma? song, fantastic atmosphere. Or have I imagined this? Same again Sunday please lads.
Denis Byrne
21   Posted 14/02/2009 at 14:12:40

Apologies, previous message a demo of my state of mind at the time. It was a league match late 70s with Kingy scoring a hat trick (informed by another post talking about Andy King). But the atmospheric waving scarves was real, why don?t we do that anymore, aka Philadelphia Eagles fans? ? it looks brilliant.
Roger Osborne
22   Posted 15/02/2009 at 21:54:18

Mike Owen, we did get to wembley in 1991, remember?

My best memory is the Luton semi-final when Sheedy hit it through a crowd of bodies to equalize, and Mountfield getting the winner, black eye and all.

West ham have got the better of us in the last two F.A cup meetings, both at pivotal stages, and it would be great to beat that lot in the next round, but Gareth may have other ideas on that.

Whoever it is, we owe them both. Remember who put us out in 2002?
Mel Jones
23   Posted 16/02/2009 at 15:40:12

Denis, we beat Villa 4-1 at Goodison, FA Cup 3rd Round 1978. There was snow in the air before the game and the St End sang Mull of Kintyre. Andy King got two I think and McKenzie and Latchford the others, Andy Gray scored for them. We had a penalty and their centre half got sent off by Clive Thomas! One of my favourite memories at Goodison... read those names again. Every blue has his team ? that was mine.