FAN ARTICLES

Good Luck, Inchy

By Gerry Quinn :  06/03/2009 :  Comments (14) :
Here's one to take us all back to those glory days...... I thought some of the TW readers may be interested to hear that our one and only Adrian "Inchy" Heath is currently trying to establish himself in the US at a newly formed Austin Aztex FC USL-1 team as their first ever head coach.

The Austin Aztex is Austin's only professional soccer club and the first MAJOR professional sports franchise in Austin, Texas. It was founded in 2008 by Phil Rawlins, a British-born, Austin-area entrepreneur, who also has ownership interest in Stoke City FC, which plays in the English Premier League. The two teams have an official affiliation that includes exchanging players, talent scouting, and sharing best practices.

Heath comes to the Aztex and the United States with a wealth of experience as both a top-level player and coach in Europe for more than 20 years. He played professionally in Europe for 18 years beginning his career with his hometown club, Stoke City, before moving on to play for Everton, Espanyol, Aston Villa and Manchester City.

With Everton, Heath won two League Championships, the FA Cup and European Cup Winners Cup in a six-year span. His performances for the club earned him a place in the Everton Hall of Fame.

Playing Career
? England U21 - won 8 caps - 3 goals between 1981-1983
? European Cup Winners Cup, 1985
? 3 FA Cup Finals, Winners, 1984
? 2 League Championships with Everton 1984-85 and 1986-87
? League Cup Finalist, 1983
? 4 Charity Shield Winners

Coaching Career
? Head Coach ? Sheffield United, Burnley and Coventry City
? Asst. Coach - Sheffield United, Sunderland, Everton, Leeds United and Coventry City

Hopefully I can get to their friendly pre-season warm-up tomorrow night v Houston Dynamos ? and if any other "local" Evertonians can make it, then wear your Everton shirts to make Inchy feel at "home" and wish him the best. I personally would love to meet up with him to thank him for all the fantastic memories I have of the fabulous 80s, even including "that" night at Oxford where it all began....

Reader Comments

Matthew Douglas
1   Posted 06/03/2009 at 14:42:50

Hey Gerry, actually just sent this into Bluekipper the other day. I moved to Austin at the beginning of this year and was told (by a fellow Evertonian in the local) that Inchy was coaching the Axtex. Definitely be going to cheer him on... maybe I?ll see you there.
Gerry Quinn
2   Posted 06/03/2009 at 15:58:50

Matthew - hopefully Cathie and I can make it tomorrow, but it will be a bit of a bulls rush trying to get back home to Houston for the k.o. on Sunday. Any pubs in Austin to sit in and watch match?
Paul Conatzer
3   Posted 06/03/2009 at 16:02:02

Gerry, I live in San Antonio, is this game being played in Austin? I checked the Aztek website and couldn’t find any info...
Gerry Quinn
4   Posted 06/03/2009 at 16:04:39

Houston Dynamo at Austin Aztex FC
March 07, 2009 - 07:30 PM
Nelson Stadium (just east of downtown, off the 290 at Berkman)
Matthew Douglas
5   Posted 06/03/2009 at 16:17:53

Gerry - the place I usually go is Fado’s Irish pub on 4th street in downtown Austin.. I’ve watched the last couple FA cup matches there and there have been a few Evertonians that frequent it. I know there’s a couple other pubs around but as I just moved here this is the only one I’ve watched any of the matches at.
Gerry Quinn
6   Posted 06/03/2009 at 16:55:58

Utterly amazing ? been to Everton pre-season matches all over the States ? how come we always end up in an IRISH pub?
Tom Hughes
7   Posted 06/03/2009 at 18:10:35

Need you ask with a name like Quinn? ;)
Dave Wilson
8   Posted 06/03/2009 at 19:00:54

I know he’ll always be remembered for "that goal" at Oxford.
But who could ever forget the wild celebrations on the North Bank after his late winner sent us to wembley ?
Magical magical moment

Good luck Inchy Lad
Julian Wait
9   Posted 06/03/2009 at 19:11:48

Ha - I think I have been watching the games at Fado with some of you boys (I also play for the Fado O30P team). It was two of my two kids that I sent dancing infront of the nauseating and floppy haired RS fans when we scored ... although I have to give credit to one very gracious taffy RS fan who was disarmingly humble and honest ...anyway, might go to the Aztex game tomorrow night myself and will be sure to wear the shirt if I do, and I will definitely be watching the FA cup game Sunday, but it’s all a bit up in the air as I have a sick kid at home today ... COYB and see y’all soon .. Julian
Gerry Quinn
10   Posted 06/03/2009 at 19:26:36

Tom, spot on - now that you mention it!
Julian, hope your kid gets well soon, I trust it’s not ligament, cruciate, achilles problem is it? Seems to be an Everton thing!
If we do make it we’ll see you in fado’s for a pre-match aperatif!!!!
COYB
Matthew Douglas
11   Posted 06/03/2009 at 19:38:26

Haha, hi Julian, we definitely watched some of the matches together... I was talking to your son during the second RS match... top lad. Hope the little one gets better and I?ll be seeing you at Fado?s on Sunday (possibly tomorrow at the Aztex?s match).

Quinn ? hope to see you there too mate.
Julian Wait
12   Posted 06/03/2009 at 22:34:37

I believe it was this game that Inchy returned in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_FA_Charity_Shield
Gerry Quinn
13   Posted 08/03/2009 at 15:34:42

Did manage to make it to the match - it ended 2-2, so Inchy was happy with the result against a club one division higher. Went to Fado’s around 5, and Mike the manager said we’d just missed you Matthew. Back in Houston ready for the match - COYB
Tim Wardrop
14   Posted 09/03/2009 at 10:04:36

The OP has suggested that Inchy has a ECWC medal. Surely this is incorrect, being as he wasn’t in the matchday squad due to his injury that season?