FAN ARTICLES

Tears of Joy

By James Boden :  24/04/2009 :  Comments (15) :
I honestly cannot believe it. Everton will be competing in their first cup final in 14 years. Incredible! I do not think words can actually describe just how great this is. Evertonian?s have suffered for long enough and yet we are so close to grabbing silverware again ? what a wonderful feeling is that. Something we have all been dreaming about for more than a decade isn?t that far from becoming true again. How do I describe my Wembley experience?

Well, Sunday was an early start as my dad and I got to a pub not too far from Wembley and when my dad a bartender asked if it was a pub for football fans she replied, ?What team??, dad said, ?Everton? and then she just pointed to a flag and that was where we were for next 3 hours.

It wasn?t long before our family from Liverpool arrived and then the singing and shouting began. We were sat outside and it was a cracking atmosphere, we really were enjoying ourselves. A limo was playing Everton songs on loudspeaker and that was a nice touch beforehand while there were plenty of songs being sung, some of which I do not think I would be allowed to mention, haha.

We left there to go to another pub about 2:30 before getting into the ground at half 3. And I couldn?t help but notice something unbelievable. We appeared to have outnumbered United fans. When has that ever happened? Evertonian?s were literally everywhere. And when they were playing the songs for each team you could hear a pin drop when United?s song was played. But when Z-Cars was played boy did we make some noise.

Although the match wasn?t a spectacular showing, we created a superb atmosphere. For those who couldn?t get a ticket, I can only feel sorry for not that 1 I was swapping mine. As good as the atmosphere may have been on tele, nothing could compare to the atmosphere live. Indeed, it was so electrifying that I almost thought for a moment that the ground might shake. With that being said, I would be lying if I said I wasn?t nervous.

By the time it got to penalties I thought that it was it, we had thrown away an opportunity. Our penalty record was frightening. Indeed, such was the tension killing me that I couldn?t even watch Cahill?s penalty and was sitting down almost in tears while others had a big groan. But to my shock Howard saved next from Berbatov ? I was literally In shock, I hadn?t even seen the penalty, all I did was just go to my dad, ?Did he just save that penalty?; Dad: ?Yes!?; Me: ?No way did he just save it?; Dad, ?He did?.

I pulled myself up to watch Baines's, Neville?s and Vaughan?s penalties but still didn?t see Ferdinand?s saved one or Vidic which was converted. I saw Andersen score his before seeing Jagielka run up and boy did I worry ? even if he had been magnificent all season. But score he did and talk about elation in the stands. I for one was crying in my dad's arms when we won. I will forever remember this as the moment I cried with happiness for the first time ever in my life. But I personally hope it's not the only time.

And to top it off, they played Z-Cars, followed by Forever Everton, then Hi Ho Silver Lining before Z-Cars closed out while all the Mancs fucked off. All the songs provided great entertainment and elation but of course there was only 1 winner. To hear Z-Cars booming at Wembley in victory was something I could only have imagined in my wildest dreams. It wasn?t the greatest performance but no Evertonian gave a toss.

That being said, the press couldn?t help but take a swipe at us of course. And even though we played very well at Chelsea and could have even won, all they talk about were how Chelsea was frustrated and what a terrible spectacle it was. And you know what: I love it. This is what we should want. Everyone against us before Cup Final. Its time we proved them all wrong and if we play like we did at Chelsea I do not see why we can?t win.

It?s a Cup Final and given the run of injuries we have had and the draws we have had in the Cup, I don?t think anyone could begrudge us winning. We are so close to something special, let?s hope that Sunday 19 April was only our 2nd greatest Wembley moment in 2009.

JUST LIKE THE TEAM THAT?S GONNA WIN THE FA CUP,
WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED

Reader Comments

Jon J Cox
1   Posted 24/04/2009 at 19:07:04

James,

Great post. Living in Cornwall (from Southport) I dont get an awful lot of chance to get to goodison. One thing I do enjoy is reading the accounts of people like you who get to the games that matter. I dont know how yet but I will move heaven and earth to get a ticket for the final.

here’s my deal if anyone can get me a ticket for the final and lives in the South West and has a child that wants to learn how to play a guitar then I will give a years lessons for said ticket!!! If you want to check me out then visit jjspowerhouse.com

I HAVE TO GET TO WEMBLEY.

James Boden
2   Posted 24/04/2009 at 19:34:36

Thanks Jon. Even if I can’t get a ticket for the Final no 1 can take it away from me that I saw Everton play at Wembley. However I will say this should I manage to purchase a ticket I will not be selling it for the world. And finally I don’t know whether or not moving away from Southport to Cornwall was a good choice or not but you’re a Blue so I sure wouldn’t begrudge you.
COYB
Jon J Cox
3   Posted 24/04/2009 at 19:45:32

James,

It was music that led me away from Southport. Get this I come from the same place that Mr Rodwell hails from and that is Birkdale. A lovelly place that I still to this day have a special place in my heart. Especially St. tereasers church were in the school yard I learnt to play the knoble art of football.

I know it sounds desparate but you nkow how it is. Check out the website and i can say that in my earlier days I played my guitar in places such as The empress (New Brighton) THe moonstone (St johns precinct) Even Noahs Ark and of course the Blue Bell (huyton) many stories about that one.

The deal still stands, of course it mhas to be for the south west of england.

I CRIED ON SUNDAY AT AND WITH OUR FANS.

COYB
James Boden
4   Posted 24/04/2009 at 20:25:28

Nice of you to share that with me Jon and nice to know that like me you shed a few tears when we won.
ONWARDS EVERTONIANS
Jon J Cox
5   Posted 24/04/2009 at 21:40:49

Thanks James (my middle name) lets have a chat when we lift the cup.

Be well, J J
James Boden
6   Posted 24/04/2009 at 22:03:48

Let’s hope so Jon.
jase lotts
7   Posted 25/04/2009 at 06:56:34

get a room
steve cavanagh
8   Posted 25/04/2009 at 10:47:46

Awwww Jase, don’t spoil a beautiful moment for them
James Boden
9   Posted 25/04/2009 at 11:16:25

HAHA great joke guys.
COYB
John Meredith
10   Posted 27/04/2009 at 12:48:46

NOW WILL YOU BELIEVE?

OMEN I: On the five previous occasions Everton have won the FA Cup ? in 1906, 1933, 1966, 1984 and 1995 ? the West Indies cricket team have toured England. West Indies are playing two Test matches in May next month.

OMEN II: When Torvill & Dean do a Nationwide Tour, Everton win the FA Cup

1984 ? Torvill & Dean win gold medals at the winter Olympics in Sarajevo, thus promptly embark on there first nationwide tour;

1995 ? After there disappointing finish at the Lillehammer games, Torvill & Dean make a triumphant country-wide return to the ring with their ?Face The Music Tour?, billed as there ?Farewell Show?; actually, little did we know....

2009 ? Torvill & Dean start touring ?Dancing On Ice?, marking the 25th anniversary of there Bolero performance. Bolero of course being the highest score of all time (for a single programme) receiving twelve perfect 6.0s, including artistic impression scores of 6.0 from every judge.

Well, after these premonitions the cup was ALWAYS as good as Phil Neville?s to lift up.....
Chris Fisher
11   Posted 27/04/2009 at 14:48:55

One more omen, the only other team to beat Man United in a semi-final have gone on to win the Cup!
James Boden
12   Posted 28/04/2009 at 09:12:36

Let us hope they are all good omens.
ONWARDS EVERTONIANS
Steve Cavanagh
13   Posted 28/04/2009 at 10:15:02

Thanks Chris, as if this thread wasn’t bizzare enough I was beginning to think I was the only person reading whose name didn’t begin with ’J’!
Stewart Littler
14   Posted 28/04/2009 at 23:42:04

To add to that Chris, for the last 5 years, the team that has beaten United have won it - unless United have won it.
Also, the last decade in which Everton didn’t win a trophy was the 50s, and this is our last chance in this decade.
And if you really want bizarre, Everton have won the league on the 24 year mark every time since their first in 1891 - the next mark is 2011...
Roger Osborne
15   Posted 29/04/2009 at 17:25:10

It has to be mentioned that fourteen years without a sniff of silverware for a club the size as ours is not really acceptable.

Ok, a league cup last four with Chelsea, and a 4th place finish in recent memory was in all honesty a fine achievement, more so the latter. But since the last cup success of 1995 we almost got relegated once again, have watched less than acceptable seasons with mediocre players (before Moyes arrival from Preston North End in 2002).

I apologise if supporters do not see my point of view, but it’s been far too long without any success. I thought along with many supporters that under Royle during the summer of ’95 that the good times were back. Maybe not on the level of Kendall first time around, but I thought at least we were back on track, the end of the next season saw some good, impressive performances, the mauling of Sheffield Wednesday in Yorkshire near the end of season as such an example. We finished 6th that year, and I remember I was pleased with that, but twelve months later Royle had gone, and for the next five years Goodison Park was not the place to be.

I could sit here for a while longer discussing the negatives of the last 14 years, but for now at the present, we do have an FA cup final to prepare for. I’m not saying we can win it this year, but we have a fighting chance. Chelsea will prove stiffer opposition than what was witnessed in the United fixture.