FAN ARTICLES

Death Awaits...

By Tom Fazal :  06/05/2009 :  Comments (22) :
Late last year, my brother and I thought it would a great idea to meet in Chicago (he lives in Australia and I live in Canada) during their holiday in North America at the end of May. Nothing special there, I hear you think... BUT the weekend in question includes the 30th of May. So is there anyone in the great Evertonian family who can recommend a pub in Chicago that is screening the game live?

We are both Everton fanatics and if we add the number of years we have been supporters together it is close to 100. Imagine the highs and lows we have lived through following the Blues in that time:-) :-(

If Ya Know yer History: there in 68, Panathiniakos 71, Villa 77 ? all three; Watford 84; The Liverpool finals... Countless league games: Wimbledon, Coventry... Countless Cup Games; Countless Greats: Young, McKenzie, Sharp, Gray and too many to mention... Home and Away

The Agony and the Ecstasy in unlimited quantities that is part of being a Blue. Four children - all Blues - tradition passed on, I've done my bit to keep the family going.

We both made the trip to Wembley for the semi final - YES him from Australia and me from Canada - but what a wonderful way to spend 72 hours. We saw many Goodison greats as we stood on the concourse before the game savouring the atmosphere.

My colleagues cannot get their head around this - England for a weekend to watch a game - but this is when you know what being a Blue truly means.

With only one possible exception ( the game against Bayern Munich when I am sure the Goodison foundations moved several feet that night because of the noise and the foot stamping) I have never experienced such sustained noise from fans at a game. Who ever had the idea to play Z-Cars after the last penalty deserves a medal. Being one of 40,000 Blues fans who sang Z-Cars (didn't know it had words), jumped up and down, embraced total strangers and. like most people, shed a tear of joy, is something I will NEVER forget. I talked to a gate steward who told me that that it was the best atmosphere he had experienced at any event.

I flew back in dreamland - whatever happens on the day will not erase the injection of pride I got in my team and my fellow Blues - with Z-Cars continually playing in my head. A re-affirmation of faith a wonderful moment that only true Blues can know.

Anyway, as the letter title says - Death Awaits. My brother -who in fairness, managed to get us tickets for the semi-final, has tasked me with finding somewhere in Chicago to watch the game, otherwise I'm dead. I love the Blues with a passion but dying because I can't find a pub showing the game .........?

There must be someone in the Blue family who can save my life... and suggest some good shopping for us to send the girls whilst we watch:-) whatever the price it will be worth it whatever the result.

Reader Comments

Stephen Graham
1   Posted 06/05/2009 at 05:49:59

Contact these people: http://www.evertonusa.org/search/label/Chicago

They run out of The Globe (see link on page).

If you come to Toronto, we’ll all be at Scallywag’s (worraname!)
Dave Wilson
2   Posted 06/05/2009 at 06:17:05

Cant help you with the pub Tom but what a post
"My collegues cannot get their heads around this" Lol.
Mike Gaynes
3   Posted 06/05/2009 at 06:32:32

Hey Tom...

Stephen’s right... the Globe is the most famous soccer pub in Chicago right now... trouble is, it’s on Irving Park Rd., which is quite a ways from downtown. Fearon’s and Ginger’s Ale House are both on Ashland in the same general area.

This website offers a comprehensive list of all Chicago bars that subscribe to Fox Soccer Channel, which will carry the game live:
Scott Gilmour
4   Posted 06/05/2009 at 07:22:22

Lived in Chicago some years ago.

Used to watch all the English football (at ridiculously early times) at Sedgwicks pub in Lincoln Park.

Great pub, decent beer, good breakfasts.

Couldn’t recommend it more.

Julie Naybour
5   Posted 06/05/2009 at 07:47:47

Hi Tom,

I sympathise as we are in Japan that weekend and I refused to go until I had guarentee it was being shown there live, which took some doing including ringing the FA. So have now reserved two seats in a bar in Kyoto even before booking the holiday.

We used to live in Chicago until last year and watched all our matches at Fado?s Irish bar, in the centre of town at 100 West Grand Avenue. I checked on their website for you (just google Fado?s Irish bar Chicago) but it doesn?t list it in their sports events so might be worth checking first by emailing them on chicago_contact@fadoirishpub.com.

I would be surprised if they don?t show it ? we watched many matches there including all the World Cup. It?s a great atmosphere and does a great breakfast whilst you?re watching but you do need to get there early as it will be packed and they will probably charge an entrance fee.

The only downer ? which is quite a big one ? is I don?t know how many other Evertonians will be there... probably a few but not many. It is also quite near Milchigan Avenue where all the shops are for those who incomprehensibly aren?t interested.

Otherwise there?s Ginger?s at 3801 North Ashland or The Globe at 1934 West Irving Park Road in lakeview. You will love Chicago and I just hope the holiday is made even better by a triumphant win. Please let us know how you got on when you return. COYB

Kev Clark
6   Posted 06/05/2009 at 09:07:56

Sorry, can?t help with Chicago, I?m in a similar situation, I?ll be stuck in Orlando (also booked before the start of the season expecting it all to be over by the time I fly out for neice and nephews' birthday)

The George and Dragon pub on I-drive (by Wet and Wild) will be showing it if anyone else is in the area.

Robert Workman
7   Posted 06/05/2009 at 10:44:02

Re : Stephen Graham
I will be in Montreal on the day of the final. I know that it is not just "up the road" from Toronto, but do you know of any Everton-friendly "sports bars" in Montreal? I can find many "sports bars" on the web, but do not want to be in a place frequented by anyone from the "dark side".
Les Raynor
8   Posted 06/05/2009 at 12:32:08

I went to the globe for this season's away game v Sstoke as I was in town that weekend. The guy that owns the bar is a blue so a warm welcome awaits. It's a bit out of the city centre, I just jumped a cab.
Roman Fedkiv
9   Posted 06/05/2009 at 14:03:32

To all the Evertonians that will be abroad/overseas for May 30th. Check the Bluekipper.com website and click on the Everton Supporters Club. It lists all official fan clubs for the Toffees throughout the world. This may be a good starting point for those of you who will not be able to watch the game in the comforts of your own home or your favorite watering hole.
Roman Fedkiv
10   Posted 06/05/2009 at 14:14:49

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you need to click on the fan link (left side) in order to get to the Supporters Club link.
Stephen Graham
11   Posted 06/05/2009 at 15:24:36

Robert,

I don’t, personally, and remember that the dark side don’t have a game that day :-) so any pub would be just fine. This site http://www.livesoccertv.com/pubs/quebec/ should be a good starting point, and with a quick call or email should be just right.

I agree with Roman’s suggestion. Now the thing is that there is very good EFC support in Chicago, hence I provided the link for them. We (TorontoToffees) were made very welcome by them last summer!
Ste Wynne
12   Posted 06/05/2009 at 21:40:05

I?ll be in Clearwater Beach Florida on the day of the final does anyone know of anywhere around there which will be showing the game as its a bit of a hike over to Orlando to watch it... I e.mailed the Sheraton Hotel where we are staying and tried to explain this is as important as a World Series decider and to check if they have got Fox Soccer Channel in the bar but no reply as yet!!
Chandler Bricklemyer
13   Posted 06/05/2009 at 22:18:48

Ste,
I live in Tampa and there are two pubs that are great for matchdays.
MacDinton’s on Howard Ave., and The Wooden Door on Westshore.
I am not sure about any places in Clearwater, but I will look into it for you. Let me know if you would like to meet up for the match. There aren’t many Evertonians in the area, though I have converted any who would listen.
Dean Pierpoint
14   Posted 06/05/2009 at 22:42:27

I’ve lived in Chicago for the past twelve years and would recommend either Sedgewicks or Fado for the game if you’re staying downtown.

Now all I’ve got to figure out is where to watch the game as I’ll be in Orlando visiting Mickey Mouse on May 30th!!!
Adam Fenlon
15   Posted 07/05/2009 at 06:49:34

I cancelled my holiday the Monday after the semi. The missus understands!
Ste Wynne
16   Posted 07/05/2009 at 09:50:16

Chandler, thanks for that, I had a look at McDinton's on the web last night and I was sold when I saw a picture of a fine looking pint of Guiness!! I?ve got two young daughters who would like to watch the game as well which is why I thought I?d try the hotel first as I?m not sure if bars in the US allow children in? If you want to drop me a line, it's sjpw@aol.com
Steve Baker
17   Posted 07/05/2009 at 12:20:39

I have a similar predicament, but not enough to warrant a written article! I will be in Brussels for the Final (I booked in January and never imagined we would make it all the way to the final!) and need a guaranteed venue to watch the game. If anybody knows a pub or bar committed to English football, then your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Richard Daley
18   Posted 07/05/2009 at 16:11:47

As an ex-pat living in Chicago for the last 22 years, here’s the run down on football pubs in Chicago.

The Globe Pub. Outstanding.
Fado. Full of Japanese tourists.
Gingers Ale House. Needs a good scrub.
Sedgwicks. Football gets turned off when American sports start.
Fearons. Not a football bar at all.
David Norbury
19   Posted 07/05/2009 at 17:55:43

Now a dedicated Blue would be identifying a nice little boutique hotel with a spa and giving an extra $500 to each of the wives for shopping and then hopping on a plane for another weekend at wembley!!
Enjoy the holiday and beat those Chelsea boys
Cheers
David (who supports the red team that will win the Champions League back to back)...Champions of England, Chamions of Europe+ Champions of the World, Universe and Salford!
Tom Fazal
20   Posted 07/05/2009 at 20:11:41

Before everyone turns on David - he was the one who provided my tickets for the semi final, and was gracious in defeat. Not all Mancs are bad:-) Glad you found your way to an intelligent forum.

David, If you can provide the tickets then a life threatening conversation with my better half about my taking a trip on a plane would be attempted. Any advice from Adam and his clearly wonderful wife would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who have provided suggestions - I knew I could rely on the Blue fraternity to deliver. I will report back after the game. COYB
Nicki Fazal
21   Posted 08/05/2009 at 00:07:31

Uncle Tom - Well Done on this - and yes my Dad will kill you if you don?t find somewhere to watch the game!!!!

James and I (Everton offspring) will be watching it in my apartment in Sydney on a 50? flat screen, wearing our shirts with pride. For those of you who aren?t familiar with Football you can?t possibly imagine the lengths we?ll go to to watch our team. It is so much more than sport, its more than religion, it is life itself.

Good Luck Tom - I want you to live so I can eventually get out there to visit you all.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!!
Mark Bax
22   Posted 10/05/2009 at 09:21:31

Tom, without a doubt, the Globe is the best footie pub in Chicago and the best place for any Evertonians there on May 30th - it’s owned by a lad called Jamie Hale who is also a top Evertonian, and it’s bound to be rammed with ex-pat blues on the day!

It’s on the Northside and not that far out of downtown (town to Kirkby is much further!), just up from LSD (Lakeshore Drive) and it’s near Wrigleyfield too.

1934 W. Irving Park Rd:, Chicago, IL 60613
www.theglobepub.com
tel 773 871 3757

You won’t be disappointed!