FAN ARTICLES

Dylan and the Scallies

By Chris Hockenhull :  23/05/2009 :  Comments (20) :
Chris posted this on our thread remembering the incredible 1966 Cup Final. It's such a great story, and a fabulous short film as well, that I have embedded it and strongly recommend you watch it, if you have not already done so. ? Michael Kenrick

I remember it so well despite being 10 years old but also for a day that ? if I had been a few years older ? could well have been an even greater day in my life. On the morning of 14 May 1966 I had been doing some extra school maths work (not my decision) with my aunt but my concentration was nil as I literally counted the minutes away to when I could get back home for the BBC showing of the Cup Final.

I can still feel the dissapointment as we were 0-2 down but then the fight back commenced and, when Temple hit the winner, I recall my father ? in an absolutely rare showing of emotion ? leaping around the darkened living room (didn?t everyone always watch the Cup Final in a strictly curtains closed room - I still do!!) like a man possessed.

I do clearly remember Jimmy Gabriel keeping the ball in the corner flag position despite the attentions of a couple of Wednesday players in order to count down the clock and winning a throw in with arms aloft and a beaming smile to say "we?re nearly there".

Unknown to me, whilst I was bored doing my sums earlier that morning, some other similar aged Everton fans were enacting their version of the Cup Final on some waste ground on Dublin Street, near the Dock Road, when a curious Bob Dylan came across them and had some photos taken... That night, one of rocks greatest tours played at the Odeon and If I had been a few years older I may well have been there... and what a 24 hours that could have been ? except I was oblivious to the evenings events at that time.

Years later, I made a short BBC film about the Dylan event and insisted that reference to the day included Everton?s Wembley triumph. The producer wanted to also include some footage of Liverpool winning the league in order to show what a great May it was for Merseyside. I fought strongly ? and won ? not to have any reference to Liverpool FC in the film and managed to have some Everton footage in the completed film. Indeed, when I went to Woodstock to interview the photographer of the Dylan pictures, I had to explain to a bemused American what the FA Cup Final was all about for me that day! He even went on to mention our win in a revised book of his photos of the 1966 tour:

Somebody once promised me ? but failed to produce ? photos of Dylan taken later that evening outside the Adelphi with a bunch of returning from Wembley fans with their Everton banners etc..

So that day will always be with me for various reasons. I saw Bob 3 weeks ago and hope that history will repeat itself ? not quite to the same day ? next week.

DO IT BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reader Comments

Dave Kennedy
1   Posted 23/05/2009 at 18:42:54

Great that, Chris. Really enjoyed it.

Urchins from ?over the bridge? and Dylan! I think he was back in Liverpool last week wasn?t he? Pity the moment wasn?t recreated.
Tony Kelly
2   Posted 23/05/2009 at 18:23:29

Fantastic article and TV footage Chris.When you look back you wonder how we lived in conditions like that.

I was born a few hundred yards from Dublin Street, in a little terrace off Beacon St. The vast majority of people who lived there are of Irish descent. Incidentally, I am still in touch with a lot of people from those days, and indeed we still watch our beloved blues and have a drink on Walton Road after the match.

There is one story about one of the families who lived in one of the little houses off Dublin Street. They were rehoused in Norris Green. The horse and cart arrived outside their house whereby they duly loaded their modest belongings to start a new life in pastures new. The Corpy men then came and boarded up the house.

The family lasted 2 weeks in Norris Green, returned back and tore down the corrugated sheets, and resumed their life back in the old neighbourhood. They eventually got rehoused 10 years later in Gerard Gardens in the city centre.

Trevor Skempton
3   Posted 23/05/2009 at 18:42:22

I was at Wembley that day in 1966, and gave my ticket for the Dylan concert to a friend. However, by an extraordinary coincidence, he had played in Liverpool the previous year, also on Cup Final Day. The Reds [with Ian St John and many references to "the Saint"] had won the cup that year, and I was in the Odeon, having to put up with many who were in a celebratory mood.

Dylan nearly caused a riot when he showcased a song we hadn’t heard before: ’It’s All Over Now Baby Blue’. Each time the chorus came round "Look out the Saints are coming through and it’s all over now baby blue" the crowd noise rose to a crescendo, with Dylan clearly confused by the reaction [he had no band in that concert].

Happy Memories of 1966! Can hardly wait for next week! COYB!
Paul Turner
4   Posted 23/05/2009 at 21:04:37

Great story! I used to work with Chris in Mersey House on The Strand and thanks to him, also got into Dylan, the Band & a lot of other great music.

Guess you still play the old guitar, Chris? Somehow, I’ve never found the time to learn properly.

Paulo Turner Lima (now living in Gloucester).

Sorry folks, back on topic now - COYB!!
Tony Horne
5   Posted 23/05/2009 at 23:24:40

This is the whole problem with history. You can never know too much and so many people do not know enough...................
Martin Cutler
6   Posted 24/05/2009 at 00:55:17

Read the post ~~ loved it, watched the movie ~~ loved it!!
Thanks Chris!
Gerry Morrison
7   Posted 24/05/2009 at 01:33:50

Bob Dylan and Everton, what more could you ask for? I loved the film; it just made my day.
George Stuart
8   Posted 24/05/2009 at 05:45:29

Chris obviously has more bottle than me. I was also 10 but hid behind the couch and cried. A bit wimpy for a 10 year old but I guess that speaks to how much it mattered to me. It worked though, we won. My cousin helped at Wembley, my Dad said he actually, he is a devot catholic, went down on his knees and prayed. I guess he owes the big guy one. I will of course be delighted to cry behind the couch again if it helps.
Andy Griff
9   Posted 24/05/2009 at 08:00:07

Bob was indeed back in Liverpool last week, going on the Magical Mystery Tour - Imagine being on that bus! He’s 68 today, by the way. Happy birthday, bob!
Pete Bridson
10   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:30:55

Excellent film, great story. Thanks for posting.
Dave Thompson
11   Posted 24/05/2009 at 10:35:19

One of the photos is in the back of The Bootleg Series Volume 4, and although there is no caption, you can tell that the photo was taken in Liverpool with the litle urchins.

We all had mucky faces and ganzy coats, these days it?s all Lowe Alpine hats and North Face jackets.

Excellent FA Cup link, happy birthday, Bob.
John Boyd
12   Posted 24/05/2009 at 13:20:55

What memories! What marvellous memories. I was a great Bob Dylan fan, only outdone by my love for Everton. I went down to Wembley with half-a-dozen mates in the back of van. I couldn?t get a ticket at a price I could afford and ended up paying 2 bob to watch it on TV in house near the stadium. There were 3 other Evertonians inside and two from Sheffield. Watching this film brought it all back, as well as memories of how much I enjoyed the early Bob Dylan albums. Next week I?ll be watching the Blues on TV yet again ? but not in London, rather in Japan where I now live.

Gambate Everton! As they would say in Japan.

Chris Hockenhull
13   Posted 24/05/2009 at 14:45:16

Response to Paul Turner

Absolutley wonderful to hear from you old friend. I dont remember you were a Blue - more remember you lusting over Roxy Music album covers !!!! I live in Waterloo and would love to catch up with you if you ever back up north again. I do re,memeber the Paulo Turner Lima link!! Take care and thanks for your comments.
Colin Evans
14   Posted 24/05/2009 at 14:25:36

Great piece.

I was down in London but couldn’t get a ticket, (11 years old). Me dad and uncles were there, and I watched it with me uncle Dennis Evans (ex Arsenal captain in the 50’s), and me cousins John and Steve. That was in an Arsenal house in Southgate, North London. We were all from Old Swan, but John and Steve are born and bred cockneys. At 2-0 I couldn’t watch anymore, but at 2-2 Uncle Den dragged me down the stairs. I remember me dad coming back with one of those plastic boater hats battered to bits. Brilliant. Message for Paul Turner, I live in Gloucester now, and still go to the game, will be at Wembley tomorrow.
Jonathan Martin
15   Posted 25/05/2009 at 09:52:03

So does this go someway to explain why Dylan recorded Johnny Todd? I?ve always wondered how he came across it and why he decided to record it.

Paul Newton
16   Posted 25/05/2009 at 15:40:18

Looking through a complete list of Dylan’s songs, I notice that 24 have ’Blue’ or ’Blues’ in the title. The most well known are probably ’It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue’, ’Subterranean Homesick Blues’, and ’Tangled Up In Blue’. Only one has ’Red’ in the title - ’Red River Shore’, which comes from an album of rejects from other albums. So it’s Blues 24 Reds a lucky 1. Seems about right.
David Gonzalez
17   Posted 26/05/2009 at 10:51:00

Further Dylan - Everton greatness:

Dylan's version of Johnny Todd (Z-Cars )
Ian Wells
18   Posted 27/05/2009 at 22:13:11

Brilliant. I was 8 when I watched Everton beat Sheff Wed. I lived in Wallasey in slightly better conditions but my heart goes out to all those kids in Liverpool and to all those true blue Evertonians. There’s nothing like us. Can’t wait for this Saturday COYB.
Karl Masters
19   Posted 27/05/2009 at 23:25:43

What a superb film!

Absolutely brilliant.

Only surprise is that Dublin Street is still standing as it looked like it was set to go the way of many Liverpool streets around that time.
Lily Mogan
20   Posted 29/05/2009 at 13:47:10

Loved this - best thing I?ve seen today on my internet trawl of Cup Final previews. As it encompases my two biggest obsessions, Dylan and the Blues, I?ll have a smile on my face all day now
Come on you Blues!