FAN ARTICLES

Can We Win It?

By Tony Marsh :  23/05/2009 :  Comments (75) :
Only a week to go now before the big day... doesn't time fly? The Jagielka penalty and the semi-final win over the Mancs is still fresh in the memory banks. Now, with Chelsea in the final looming, I ask you this: Can we win it?

I was at Stamford Bridge a few days after the semi-final win and I thought we should of been 3-0 up at half time. We had the best chances and out-played Chelsea for most of the first half. Although Jo missed a couple of sitters, he had a good game... as did Castillo, who had his best game in an Everton shirt.

Neither of these two will play at Wembley though and I am scratching my head as to what side Moyes will put out for the final. We all know most of the side but it's the selections at right back, right midfield and up front that will be the acid test for us.

Simply put, Osman must not start as he will be overrun by the giant Chelsea midfielders. Rodwell must play as this kid is class. Hibbert or Jacobsen is a coin flip as niether one is better or worse than the other.

Saha is not good enough any more and doesn't deserve to take the shirt. He lacks pace these days and needs the ball laid on a plate for him to score.

I don't like playing "Guess the starting eleven" or giving players ratings after games but I am worried about the team selection for this one. I mean, we are as close as we can get without actually holding the Cup aloft. We have to win this any way we can and Moyes must be brave. Dropping certain players, if needed, is going to be hard for him to do, I think... but that's why DM gets £75k a week these days. Worth every penny if we win it though.

As for our wonderful chairman, I can't wait for this week's build-up to the final. Just to watch as our Bill laps up the glory and the publicity and the kudos ? like the cat who got the cream... TV, radio, the papers... you name it, Bill will be in there, grinning, smirking and waxing lyrical. No-one does it better than good old Bill.

Where was BK this pre-season, though..??? As yet another transfer saga turned into a farce with no-one anywhere having a clue what was going on. All we got was "wait and see" and a wall of silence.... Similar story with Destination Kirkby to nothing.

Just watch Our Bill hog the limelight if we win the Cup, then scuttle off and hide when it's time to back the manager with funds in the summer. Elstone will be the fall guy and have to explain the lack of activity in the transfer market and we fans will be left cheated again. I hope I am proved wrong... but I doubt it.

As for Saturday, if Chelsea can't be arsed (as some of our lot think will happen) then the cup is ours. If they come out all guns blazing, I think the cup can still be ours. I reckon we deserve it after the way we have made it to the final. Liverpool, Aston Villa, Man Utd... it's been no picnic has it?

No club or set of supporters in the land could deny us this one. Our fans are the best there is and from what I am hearing we will out number Chelsea ? the world's worst supported big club ? by 2 to 1 on the day. That says it all to me.

Fuck all the £200k a week champagne swilling glitter boys from the Kings Road. Fuck Frank Lumpoflard, Drogba and Terry. Fuck all those marvellous Chelsea fans who sent back 1,200 tickets to Barcelona from a total of 2800 for a Champions League semi-final at the Nou Camp... We are Everton and We Shall Not Be Moved. COYBs

Reader Comments

Paul Johnson
1   Posted 24/05/2009 at 06:40:46

Yes we can and will win it. I have been telling my lad all week that this is EFC, not Blackburn Rovers, Bolton, Fulham etc etc but Everton Football Club. It's all about desire on the day and we have that in bucket loads, our fans will roar the Blues home and Chelsea and its toothless supporters won?t know what's hit them ? COYB.
James Byrne
2   Posted 24/05/2009 at 06:30:01

Interesting points, Tony... and yes, at this stage prior to the final we will start to ask ourselves questions regarding team selection, especially in the areas you have suggested.

For me it really comes down to the team and attitude of the Chelsea set up and although I?m not too optimistic from a "Teams on Paper" perspective you can?t bet against Everton as we have proved, even with some awful injuries to be a tough side to break down.

The team spirit, the massive support from our superb fans will be the difference on the day and the players will be playing with more heart and fight than Chelsea could dream of; I made it to the semi?s and although I don?t remember too much of the first and some of the second half (for obvious reasons) it was a great day.

I won?t be at the final (stuck in fucking Ghana) so good luck to all those who travel and do us all proud one more time.

COYB?s
Peter Pridgeon
3   Posted 24/05/2009 at 07:31:45

Good post Tony... Can we win? Yes we can... but it will be tough, we know Osman will play if fit. I agree with you on Saha, he has not only has lost his pace but seems to have lost his desire as a footballer.

The most important factor may well be the fans. I will be wide awake and watching with three generations of Evertonian?s here in Tauranga, New Zealand at 2:00am. COYB
Paul Rimmer
4   Posted 24/05/2009 at 08:00:57

I agree that the fans and the team spirit will be crucial on the day but don?t see why this has to become a rant about team selection or BK.

We all know the team selection ? Hibbo is the only doubt but Lars is able. Saha has quality still ? I remember at least 2 goals he?s scored from outside the box which weren?t laid on a plate and the 2 goals against West Ham will give him confidence. I rate Ossie. He fits the team and is reliable with his workrate and is one of the few who can create.

As for BK, who can blame him for lapping it up! He deserves it and this steady progress is achieving results which others with lots more cash can only dream of. Chelsea are a very good team ? difficult to break down, but so are we. 1-0 to the Blues with a rearguard action... tin hats at the ready... we shall not be moved!

Richard Parker
5   Posted 24/05/2009 at 08:46:15

Saha has to play, end of. He’s scored a reasonable amount of goals per minute on the pitch. It’s the minutes on the pitch that are the problem.

We need a player who can poach a goal and between Saha, Cahill and Fellaini we have 3 who can nick us one. Other than the back 5, Pienaar is going to be our key player. If he can keep up his excellent form in this one and provide for Saha and Timmy, we can win it.

I don’t expect to see us go at Chelsea and 0-0 at half-time will be fine by me. Jags is a big loss, but as long as our lads rise to the occasion we really can do it.

I can’t wait.
Gerry Western
6   Posted 24/05/2009 at 08:57:11

Have to say, of all the games played to date this is without doubt the greatest challenge. For me, Chelsea are the strongest team in the country which makes team selection all the more crucial.

I?d like to see Jacobsen play further up the park. He can pass the ball and can deliver a cross but more importantly he would afford us added defensive capability on the right. This for me is our Achilles heal. To facilitate this I?d consider moving Neville to right back and replace him with Rodwell.

We will certainly need a star performance from Yobo and Lescott but its fair to say they coped admirably with the Chelsea attack on the recent visit to Stamford Bridge.

Tom Brown
7   Posted 24/05/2009 at 08:51:36

Of course we can. And.... as everyone says - the support from the fans will be a factor.

Given the need for us to unite in support of the team against Chelsea.... I find it very strange that you are ranting on about team selection. We all know that with current injuries, there is not much choice in the way of team selection, so I don't see the point of moaning about it.

The team will probably be:

Howard
Hibbert Yobo Lescott Baines
Osman Neville Cahill Pienaar
Fellaini
Saha

Barring injuries, the only players seriously available to put a twist on this are Gosling, Rodwell, Vaughan and Jacobsen.

Jacobsen could only be in as a replacement for Hibbert, which as you say is not going to make a huge amount of difference either way.

I?m a big fan of Vaughan but I dont think there are many serious fans who would start him ahead of Saha given Vaughan has not scored for the first team since December 07 (I would love a fairytale cup final comeback for him, but it's not a serious option to pin hopes on him from the start). So.... we are left with Gosling and Rodwell.

There is a decent level of agreement that Rodwell has been the more impressive of the two and there are a decent number of us who would like to see him in the starting line-up.... but where would we put him? If you drop Osman, then you have to play Rodwell wide on one of the wings... I'm sure he would do his best but it is not exactly his position... If not Osman, then who? Cahill? Fellaini? Neville? Not going to improve the team massively by taking one of these out and adding Rodwell.

Gosling is promising but not many of us would yet see him as a significantly better direct replacement for anyone in the above starting line up. The only believable variation on the above starting line-up (but I still don't think it will happen) is for Rodwell or Gosling to start ahead of Saha. eg:

Howard
Hibbert Yobo Lescott Baines
Osman Neville Rodwell Pienaar
Fellaini Cahill

I believe going with this would be a tactical decision as much as a judgement on quality of individuals.... and only has one different starting name anyway.

Whatever very very slight variation on the starting names happens on the day, our recent cup games suggest there is a good chance that the final will be a lengthy battle where we will need to call on our substitutes and rely on them to come on and impress as much as the starting 11. So... really... you could cut the whole argument short by saying we will probably see 2 of Gosling, Rodwell and Vaughan at some stage and we will need them to impress just as much as the other 11 who play.

Quit your sniping at certain players, we are going to need them all to perform. Get behind 100% of the squad 100%. COYB.

Richard Dodd
8   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:26:35

Marshy can?t even pen a constructive piece witout a side-swipe at Chairman Bill!
I suspect the great majority of Evertonians believe BB deserves all the plaudits he will get if the boys pull it off. After all if Marshy?s hate brigade had had their way, Davey would have been a gonner early season ? and then where would we be? Certainly not at the gates of Wembley.
Anthony Newell
9   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:18:58

I think a ?war of attrition? type game like United in the semi won?t be enough to win this game unless there is a Cahill bicycle kick like moment right at the end from a set piece!

I think to win is going to take some boldness in decision-making and reactive tactical awareness and this could be Moyes?s ultimate test. If Osman does start, which I suspect he will, it?s imperative that he?s subbed at half-time if he turns out to be a passenger once more. Ditto for Saha.

I don?t envy Moyes?s decision on the starting 11 given the injury situation: go for the 'tried and trusted? or gamble on some youngsters? (I would like to see Vaughan get a chance.)

One thing?s for sure, Hiddink definitely leaving has got to work in our favour and maybe a Chelsea attitude that they have lost out on bigger fish, competitions-wise.
Roll out all the cliches, time for heroes, strong men, stand up and be counted etc etc. Come Saturday, I?ll be nervous as fuck.

Chris Brierley
10   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:31:49

I thought Elstone had already stated that there would be sod all cash for this summer's transfers and definitely no breaking of the £15 mill payout for one player (so that?s Moutinho off the cards then) so how can we feel cheated over lack of funds for Moyes when we?ve already been told that there ain't much?
Paul Joy
11   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:39:15

Out from under your rock again Tony?

Can you ever string a sentence together without having a moan or a winge about the team you follow everywhere?

Does your missus pay for you to go to away games by any chance......

You always have talked shite and you always will. If we do go on and win the cup we will have done it the hard way and we do deserve to given the draw we have had.

Tony we all know Leon Osman is not the best but David Moyes puts his faith and trust in him and no doubt he will start in the final. If he sticks in the winner I wonder what you will say afterwards? I know what you will say if we lose - we will have heard the same old moans many times before.

Once the game is over though you can carry on moaning about Bill Kenwright, David Moyes, Stadium debate, Transfer funds, Fellaini?s hairdo, VDM?s bar bill etc etc. What are your views on MP?s expenses Tony??

Back under your rock... and next Saturday, just be positive for once in your life. Oh and I hope not to bump into you at Wembley ? I want to enjoy myself.
Norman Merrill
12   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:47:13

Tony, spot on with most of your points, I would rather not tempt fate as far as team selection is concerned, until after today's game at Fulham.

I have no qualms with Bill Kenwright hogging the publicity, it helps to take the pressure off the players. Let's hope we get thru today, without any injuries, and a decent performance to help us on our way to Wembley, COYB.

Tom Brown
13   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:42:28

Gerry,
Neville has been fantastic at DM so far this year and that has been a big part of our having come this far. Moving him to RB would risk that, risk slightly unsettling the rest of the midfield and the rest of the team, for that matter.... only really worth it if there is a big tactical advantage to be had.... Which there isnt, as Chelsea like to bash down the front door so Neville?s normal position is exactly where we need him.

Most of Chelsea?s goals and assists have come from Anelka and Lampard this year. Obviously Drogba is a big threat too. If any of these 3 find themselves attacking our RB position and putting in crosses, I will be really pleased ? it will mean they have been forced out there by an Everton team not allowing them to play where they really want to and are most effective.

Stephen Williams
14   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:45:13

Your glass is always half-empty, Tony, but although I agree with your Saha comment, what other option is there? My team for the final is: Howard; Baines, Lescott, Yobo, Jacobsen, Neville; Cahill Rodwell, Pienaar; Fellaini, Saha ? with Vaughan and Ossy as subs to come on in a 5-3- 2 formation with instructions for Neville to play in front of the back 4 to pick up the likes of Lampard so 5 sitting deep and 5 capable of attack.
Nick Dommett
15   Posted 24/05/2009 at 09:58:08

Agree 100% with Tom Brown’s assessment. I would probably go for the Cahill - Fellaini combo up front as it gets Cahill where he is most effective and puts Saha on the bench (where I think his fitness demands he should be).

However whatever team that is put out should give Chelsea a run for their money. Only regret is not being in the UK to watch it: but at least I’ll have the compensation of watching it in the sun...

COYB!!
Peter Eastoe
16   Posted 24/05/2009 at 10:48:28

’Can we win it’ ?

Only if we see the light and sack David ’Hoofball’ Moyes and kick out Bill Kenwright !
Franny Porter
17   Posted 24/05/2009 at 10:50:45

Fuckin ?ell Peter Eastoe, you are a tactical genius!

Thats a brilliant idea, lets sack our manager and then get the Chairman booted out six days before the Cup Final.

Shit, I wish I had thought of that!

In fact while we?re at it, we should release Cahill and Lescott on free transfers!!

Tosser....
Gareth Hughes
18   Posted 24/05/2009 at 11:04:55

Uh-oh! Richard Dodd is back defending good old ?Look at me? Chairman Bill. Richard, what tempted you to emerge from Bill?s bottom now? Perhaps you are trying to emulate your idol by sticking your head above the parapet in anticipation of imminent glory.

Well, as we hear about yet another club, the mighty Sunderland, enjoying the financial backing of an ambitious multi -millionaire while we look forward to another summer in the poor house courtesy of good old ?Blue Bill?, perhaps you need to be reminded that any success we enjoy is very much in spite of your beloved Chairman, not because of him. We are probably 3 very good players away from being a top 4 side. We will never be able to sign those players whilst ?Blue Bill? runs our club.

This season is probably as good as it gets for us; Man City, Spurs, Aston Villa and even Arsenal (only £13M to spend but about £8M more than Moyes will have!) will improve their squads in the summer. We will be chasing exotic talents like Alan smith, Sean Davis and Joe Ledley. But hey Richard, as long as ?Blue Bill? is there to grin inanely at the camera and talk about the ?Best Manager in the world? (who he does nothing to help), nothing else matters. I hope ?Blue Bill?s? posterior is nice and warm for you.

Tom Brown
19   Posted 24/05/2009 at 11:40:20

Gareth.
While I do not agree with Dodd, you are unreasonably extreme.
You say we are 3 good players away from being a top 4 side.... so that means you think we have at least 8 of the players we need. Almost all of whom have come through/been bought under the reign of BK. So you say under BK it is impossible for 3 to come in when at least 8 already have.... hmmmmm.... doesn't stack up mate.

Agreed, it would be easier if BK was replaced/helped by someone with a big piggy bank ? but that doesn't mean we are doomed without.

I?m not sure, by the way, if you want someone to come in & turn Everton into a club that generates huge amounts of money for itself as a good business or if you want charity from a millionaire. If it is the former, sounds nice but will take time even when the business genius comes in... and very few have acheived it anywhere in football.

If it is the latter..... it would be nice to get something for nothing but I refuse to be one of those Evertonians who think the club is a charity case and expects a sugar daddy to pay for our club. I have more pride than that & so does the club and I hope you do too.

Harry Charles
20   Posted 24/05/2009 at 12:29:49

Can we win it? Yes we can! David Moyes is the reason. The best manager we have ever had.

David Moyes, David Moyes
Davey Davey Moyes
He's got big blue eyes
And he tells no lies
Davey, Davey Moyes
Gareth Hughes
21   Posted 24/05/2009 at 12:32:53

Tom, the point I am making is that the players we have can take us so far but it is that extra layer of quality we need to kick on. Certainly, the likes of Lescott, Jags, Cahill and Piennaar have not arrived cos of any great expertise from Kenwright, rather the astute judgement of Moyes. There are only so many rabbits that can be pulled out of the hat, after that money talks and it is galling to see other clubs attracting the sort of investment we should have!

As for new investors, it would not make Everton some kind of humiliating charity case if a rich sugar daddy chose to buy the club. It would just give us a better chance of success. Is that so wrong?

Marc Williams
22   Posted 24/05/2009 at 12:46:07

Can we win it ?

I hope so as no group of players or fans deserves it more than us this season. I?ve lost count of the fans from different clubs that have come up to me & wished us luck, lets face it even the shite fans I know want us to win it

It?s going to be tough against a well rested (I wish they ?d been distracted by a CL final), motivated team with a tactically astute manager but hey we?ve done it the hard way for this cup run anyway so maybe, just maybe we can!

Let?s not start a Marsh v Doddy debate at this stage of the season. Tony, let Bill have his Luvvy moments this week, you?ll have your chance to quite rightly crucify him in the summer if he lets us down again. Richard, please remember how you felt after Wigan away this season ? it?ll help you remove those rose colored glasses you wear when thinking if Bill.

Another tough game this afternoon, I really hope we can get 5th. COYB
Tom Brown
23   Posted 24/05/2009 at 12:57:26

No, it would be nice to have the money if Mr McDollar wanted to put it in and I wouldn't call us a charity case if he did.

However, if we sit around gazing at our navels, bleating about our woes and pinning for Mr McDollar to rock up and rescue us from our misfortune, then we relegate ourselves to prideless charity case status. Blaming BK for not being a billionaire falls into this category.

BK has many faults but it is not his fault he is not a billionaire any more than it is your fault you are not a billionaire. None of us are billionaires so no point wishing we were, or insulting each other because of it. We just have to get on best we can.

Anyway, kind of nice to be one of the few teams using skill to gate crash the whose-got-the-biggest-billionaire competition.
Ian Tunny
24   Posted 24/05/2009 at 12:46:33

Gareth, what an idiot you are. If it was left to people like you and Tony Marsh we would not be 5th in the league and in an FA Cup Final. If Tony Marsh had his way, Moyes would have been on his bike a long time a go and Bill would be out the door too.

This club would have dropped as quickly as Hull City and would have been in Coca Cola League 1 or 2 with the likes of Leeds, Norwich, Forest and Charlton ? who have either spent more than they had, like Leeds, or thought they had out grown their manager, like Charlton. So I am glad for people like Richard Dodd who has backed the manager and Chairmen to the hilt. He could see what the other knee-jerkers couldn't, he has had the patience, he has seen the progression this club has made under these 2 men. Moyes clearly wants Bill to stay and that says it all for me.

I suppose we will get the usual, "Everton are were they are in spite of Moyes and Bill not because of them"... ye right, some of you need to take your heads out of your own arses instead of insulting a great Evertonian like Richard for being up Bill's arse. So yes let's be like Sunderland, let's spend millions of pounds that we don't have on Cisse, Diouf et al, that's how to run a football club.

Obviously Arsenal arn?t the only team to have idiots as supporters, I can not believe some of their fans want rid of Wenger after everything he has done for them. He is in a transitional period of building a young team which will take time.

It took Ferguson 4 years during the building process to be able to create a young team of Rooney and Ronaldo etc good enough to win the title again, and now they have won it 3 on the bounce. Clearly a lot of people have short memories and need to be careful what they wish for.

Simon Kirwan
25   Posted 24/05/2009 at 14:33:11

Pienaar and Baines are the Key. I gurantee an injury to one of them v Fulham today and imo, that would crush our FA Cup dream.
Nick Entwistle
26   Posted 24/05/2009 at 16:33:08

Really this is just another post from Tony having a pop at Osman. Osman is a lock in on the right so you discredit yourself by suggesting matter of factly that there?s a choice to be made.

Any bravery you?re asking for from Moyes is to pick YOUR team. And you?re right, that is very brave. Got a point on Bill though...

Chris Jones (Wakefield)
27   Posted 24/05/2009 at 16:46:59

GOAL!!!!!!! Osman. Not worth the shirt eh Tony!
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
28   Posted 24/05/2009 at 17:48:24

And now I repeat that question!

5th. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Tony I'Anson
29   Posted 24/05/2009 at 17:48:35

Osman 2nd goal. And Fulham were pushing for a place in Europe so not hanging back like a lesser team.
Kevy Quinn
30   Posted 24/05/2009 at 18:36:52

Two goals for Ossie today... notbBad, Tony. You can talk about tactics BK etc until the cows come home, I don't really care ? just roll on Saturday. I can't wait. I won't be there but I know those who will. Players/fans will do us proud and win the Cup!!! Come on you Blues!!!
Steve Flaherty
31   Posted 24/05/2009 at 18:52:00

Yes, Tony, We can do it. When it comes to major sporting occasions such as the FA Cup Final, I firmly believe that the history and tradition of the clubs involved plays a major part. Everton have one of the proudest traditions and greatest histories of any football club in the world. Our fans are a special breed and I think their belief that we are going to win will translate to the players on the field and inspire them to a glorious victory over the Millionaires club. For all their money, they could never buy what Everton Football club have got...

Stand up and fight, Everton ? show the world what a truly wonderful club we are.

Sean Patton
32   Posted 24/05/2009 at 20:31:20

Can win, will win.
Karl Masters
33   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:05:43

Yes we can. And I personally think we will. Despite Chelsea’s team of expensive ’stars’, this our Year!

In 1984, you just had that feeling all the way through, while in 1995 it was even more ’written in the stars’ and I have had that feeling all through this Cup run.

We are going to win.
Peter Eastoe
34   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:29:48

Never heard of irony then Franny Porter !

Just a little dig at Mr Marsh who has been calling for those very acts for years.
Gerry Western
35   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:25:05

Tom,
I wouldn?t disagree with any thing you?ve said there. You're quite right, it would be a huge risk. I was acknowledging Tony?s concern and suggesting that in the event that Chelsea might succeed in exploiting our weakness on the right that this might be an option. Though I?d have to admit it wouldn?t be my preferred starting position ? more of a consideration.
Shane Corcoran
36   Posted 24/05/2009 at 21:57:15

Lumpoflard Lampard? And so the bullshit continues. Do decent fans a favour Tony and don?t put this type of shite on here. If you want to bore us with the same point about Osman or BK (and I?m not necessarily disagreeing with you) then do so but what the fuck has Frank Lampard or his weight (?) got to do with it?
Paul Wilson
37   Posted 24/05/2009 at 22:29:00

Osman scores 2 goals today and he's now brilliant. Over the season, has he really done anything?

I agree with Tony on this one.
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
38   Posted 25/05/2009 at 00:20:30

No one said Ossie was brilliant. We we’re just commenting on TM’s belief that he’s not fit to wear the shirt.
Dennis Stevens
39   Posted 25/05/2009 at 01:55:27

Stop scratching your head, Tony. Barring injury, our team at Wembley will be:

Howard;
Hibbert, Yobo, Lescott, Baines;
Neville, Osman, Cahill, Fellaini, Pienaar; Saha.

This will not be a surprise to anybody except, possibly, you.

Stephen Graham
40   Posted 25/05/2009 at 04:30:50

Forgetting about best/favoured players, we need to put out a team that can defeat Chelsea. With their attacking credentials, and their ability to run at a defense on breakaway (witness vs. Barcelona) we need to prevent that and provide a good base to attack from our strengths.

So, forget about favourites, we need a structure that will hold up their runs and support our attacks, in fact a system not unlike Chelsea?s: 4-2-3-1 using the best players for that system. Unfortunately, we all know that Ossie, because of his two wonderful goals against Fulham, will be one of the 3, and that is where I expect us to break down ? as we always do ? right side of midfield. The key point, however, is that we need Neville and Castillo to start as the 2 and hold up any breakdown, but I would bet my house (for what value is left) that this will not happen.

We all know the team Moyesie will choose, he has said it ? more or less, and many of us will not like it. Nonetheless, let?s all get behind OUR team.
Remember Mike Trebilcock?

Tim Lloyd
41   Posted 25/05/2009 at 06:19:17

These people exemplified by Mr Marsh and his followers get right up my nose..

I have rarely heard him say anything positive yet he considers himself an Evertonian, a team, who without money, have reached fifth in the League again.

Just what is the point of this continual knocking of Bill Kenwright. Everybody knows Bill is as True a Blue as any who write on this forum.

They blame him for having no money and want him to sell. To whom? We are successful on the pitch but I doubt if one could consider us a good financial investment. Rich, non-Evertonian supporters, would only buy if it showed good prospects of being a good financial buy.

We are all rabid supporters but have no money. Like the good Bill Kenwright, we can?t plough in the required billions of quidlets, so let's not insult the Chairman for being in the same position.

For the first time for so long, we are in a position to support Everton FC in its quest for Silverware. Ignore those abysmal critics who can rarely find anything good to say about Kenwright, and too often David Moyes, and show Chelsea why we are such a great club.
John Maxwell
42   Posted 25/05/2009 at 06:51:11

Que Saha, Saha, whatever will be will be, he scored at Wembley, Que Saha, Saha..

I’m also having a bet on Osman first scorer.. 18-1..
John Burgess
43   Posted 25/05/2009 at 08:43:05

If I was you, Mr Marsh, I really would stop posting your utter rubbish on this site. If you had your way, Mr Moyes and his so-called hoofball would've been fucked off months ago!

As for your constant campaign against Osman and Hibbert, it really is laughable; these two players have been an integral part of a squad that for the past 3 yrs has improved each year. No-one disputes that they both have weaknesses in their game, but they are both two honest professionals who always give their all and both deserve to be in the side next week an both have an FA Cup Winners medal!

Mike Williams
44   Posted 25/05/2009 at 09:32:43

Will Tony please recycle his "Osman is shite" post on Friday ? we could do with a guaranteed two goals on Saturday...
James Marshall
45   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:12:11

I was at the same Chelsea game, Tony, and there?s no way we deserved to be 3-0 up at half time, 1-0 at best.

I wonder why your rants get posted at all on here these days, because they?re so full of nonsensical comment, its untrue. The acid test is who plays at right back? What are you on about? Giant midfielders overunning Hibbert? Have you not noticed that both games against Chelsea this year have been 0-0?

Mate, I know you love Everton, of course you do, but as in an article I read yesterday by Bill Kenwright, some people love the club too much and you certainly qualify as one of them.

Having veiled digs at Kenwright & Moyes is childish, and ridiculous ? both men have given more to Everton than any of us ever will and in Kenwright we have a great Chairman who has done nothing, to my mind, that paints him in a bad light. Did he not mortgage his own house and theatre to fund us at one time? Has he not said repeatedly that he wants to sell, there's just no buyers?

Do you read the news, Tony? There's a recession on, old boy, and there really are no buyers out there. Everton are in a tough situation, and moving grounds is only an option with Kirkby in mind ? football stadiums are rather expensive and we simply don't have the money to build a new one, that fact may have passed you by.

Of course we can win on Saturday, it's a one-off game and we have nothing to fear from Chelsea. One other thing, to launch into Lampard, Terry et all and rant at their salaries, just smacks of jealousy ? I guarantee you, not one of us would turn down their wages, and they?re not the ones making the rules, Tony, nor are they the ones willing to pay those inflated salaries, so next time someone offers you over and above what you think you?re worth, just tell them to get knotted, yeah?

5th place in the league, in the FA Cup Final, and all on so much less than the top 4 not good enough for you? I think you should support Man Utd, otherwise you?re never going to be happy!

Gavin Ramejkis
46   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:34:59

James Marshall please don’t give us "in Kenwright we have a great chairman" it’s down to Moyes and not Billy Bullshitter, don’t let the charlatan claim the glory when he’s done fuck all "old boy".
James Marshall
47   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:39:41

I disagree, Gavin, we?re a much better club in every way now than we were before Kenwright & Moyes ? if we weren?t having the ?Kirkby row? then none of you would be complaining ? that's what it all comes down to at the end of the day, old boy. Its nothing to do with him ?claiming glory?, surely as an Evertonian it's for him as much as it is you and I?

Your bitterness is as bad as Tony?s.
Damian Wilde
48   Posted 25/05/2009 at 11:44:10

Good article Tony, apart from the Osman stuff. For a long time now I have said what a good player I think he is and he showed it again yesterday. Osman will play on Saturday, I trust Moyes more than you Tony, so thank goodness he picks the team and not you.

If there?s been the odd period this season he hasn?t been his usual standard it?s because he was carrying niggling injuries. There are factors involved you don?t know about sometimes!

Gavin, so BK has nothing to do with our success? Every person in an organsiation contributes. The people in the ticket office, the cleaners, the board, the players, the manager, etc. We could do the double and BK would still be shit. The club on and off the pitch is doing well, part of which is down to BK. It?s Cup Final week, can you lot just not be bitter for one week of the year?

Let?s concentrate on Wembley, I am very excited and can?t wait, COYB!!
Jay Harris
49   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:06:04

Can we all forget about "Bullshit Billy" and "Hoofball Moyes" for at least a week and get behind the best manager and players since the 80s?

Moyes picks the team and no-one should (although some always do) complain about the achievement this season, particularly in the face of adversity.

By the way, the last time we beat Fulham down there was 1966 and what else did we do? ? Won the FA Cup.

Also the last game of last season Portsmouth beat Fulham and went on ...... to win the FA Cup.

Coincidence maybe but luck always has a part to play and as some of the lads have said "Our name is on the cup".

COYB... one game away from glory.
Tom McMahon
50   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:35:16

Can we win it?? Yes we can... I'll be watching it in Melbourne, Australia, cheering on the boys in blue - have they decided who is wearing blue??

of course we can win it. Chelsea are there for the taking, Sunderland nearly did them at the weekend.
COYB

Jamie Zeqiri
51   Posted 25/05/2009 at 09:40:12

To Gareth and Tony and others like you: I have for what seems like years now read your constant, relentless potshots aimed at both Bill Kenwright and David Moyes. Before today I have never felt the need to reply because I could just ?laugh off? these comments as I watched our great team go from strength to strength under the stewardship of these men.

The reason I feel different today is that I was privileged enough to yesterday attend our final game of the season and, because I sat in the home end (the only way I could go was through a mate of mine?s work?s season tickets), listened to and watched our great, great fans out-sing, despite being out-numbered by, the home support.

The feeling of pride it gave me was almost too immense to describe and it was only on exit that my smile subsided slightly as I remembered reading this very page yesterday morning before I left my flat. How can people like Gareth and Tony, who I find it so difficult to understand the inner-workings of, possibly be counted in the same bracket as those who fairly raised the roof of the away-end for the full 90 minutes from 4 o?clock yesterday afternoon. It really does not seem fair to me.

Yes, Bill Kenwright is not the richest man in the world, but can that really count against him? When he took over at Everton, he had to mortgage his theatre and house in order to have the funds available to chair the club he has loved all his life and who he thought he could improve. So I see from that he pretty much risked his livelihood in order to make Everton great again and it is impossible to argue that we are not a far better team than we were before he took over. He is not perfect, but he is ours and as such should be supported and praised for what he has done.

I need not go into detail about why David Moyes is great, so I?ll just mention: Yobo, Cahill, Lescott, Pienaar, Jagielka, The Yak, Arteta, 3-0 against Liverpool, 3-1 against Villa in this year?s FA Cup, 7-1 last year against Sunderland... but above all the knowledge that when somebody asks me who I support, when I proudly tell them, I never ever receive any sharp comments about having just about avoided relegation last year or having recently been humped by a nothing team.

To Gareth who says that "the likes of Lescott, Jags, Cahill and Piennaar have not arrived cos of any great expertise from Kenwright, rather the astute judgement of Moyes" ? a more moronic statement I struggled to find even in Tony?s initial piece; Moyes has required backing from Bill Kenwright in order to buy any of the players he mentioned and, thank whichever deity you believe in, it was backing he received. Just as Moyes believed in Cahill and Cahill provided, Kenwright believed in Moyes and Moyes provided.

So, Tony, and all who hold criticising our best Chairman/Manager combo since before I can remember (I am relatively young, but please don?t hold that against me), next time you write a piece that is ostensibly a debate on something people like myself would like to read about (maybe speculation on tactics, who will/won?t perform well under the pressure of a Cup Final) but in fact turns out to be yet another thinly veiled attack on Kenwright, Moyes, Osman et al, please make it clear this is what you have written in the title.

Aaaaaaaah, that feels better.

PS - Osman?s second was an absolute peach, no matter what you think about him, you have to give him that.

Steve Collins
52   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:55:48

Tony, do us a favour and post anohter one of your drivel emails the night before the game. Please make sure include your usual negativity.

As, everytime you put you foot in your mouth, our beloved Blues win the following day.
Ste Kenny
53   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:52:05

James, has that recession been on for 15 years, old boy?
Dave Wilson
54   Posted 25/05/2009 at 13:33:42

Chelsea are formidable, they have world-class players within their ranks, they are an excellent team and are one of Europe?s biggest clubs... but we?re Everton. We?re not merely a football club, we?re a fucking worldwide institution, one of the oldest and and without doubt the finest in the world.

When Chelsea set off for Wembley, they?ll realise what they are up against; Evertonians will be everywhere and it will come as great relief for the Chelsea camp when they get to the Stadium, but when they leave the relative tranquility of the dressing room, they?ll be confronted by 50,000 Evertonians ? the lucky ones who get in ? shaking Wembley to its foundations. The Chelsea fans ?those who haven?t sold their "priceless" tickets to True Blues for 5-6 hundred quid, will be completely overwhelmed

Davey Moyse?s team have skill, confidence and burning desire... Can we win it? By the time we kick off, it?ll be the chelsea camp harbouring the doubts...

Peter Eastoe
55   Posted 25/05/2009 at 15:59:28

Nicely put Jamie Z.
It?s a bit like The Guardian using Jimmy Krankie as its chief Political correspondent.

Sort it out !
Barry Kingham
56   Posted 25/05/2009 at 15:50:45

The constant critisim of David Moyes has been vile. I think that if Tony Marsh and his ilk had their way and sacked Moyes, we would have been like Newcastle ? constant string of managers and poor management... and relegated.

Please give up this tirade; what other manager in the Prem has achieved so much with such limited funding. Ok, he has made mistakes but the achievements far outweigh them. Let's accept that football has changed... no team cannot just spend the money and reach the top and there are no short-term fixes. Even Chelsea were constantly in the top 4 for years before they won the league.

It's a case of slow building... you must be able to see the genuinely improving results over the past 4 years. Sadly, I also believe that our great club will never take the next step and challenge for the title unless we receive major investment... the most we can hope for is a win in the Europa League next season. Despite this, our Chairman has our club?s interest at heart... not just his own.

On Osman, I think he has a substandard season generally ? but the lad is fit to wear the shirt... he has a deft touch and has unique skill. His second goal was a classic yesterday... I hope he plays in the Cup Final.

Good luck to the boys next Saturday... they deserve it.

Franny Porter
57   Posted 25/05/2009 at 16:16:28

Peter Eastoe, apologies for not realising you were being sarcastic!

I get quite worked up my Marsh's ridiculous rants and I was ?in the zone?!
Alan Clarke
58   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:19:10

It?s interesting because I doubt Marsh would have written this article at 6pm after the Fulham game. Osman has come in for a lot of criticism, not just on this website but from the terraces as well. I must say after yesterday?s performance he is our best option on the right side of midfield.

Saha has also shown over the last 2 games that he is our best option up front against Chelsea. This guy has bags of experience that is needed in these big games. Credit to Moyes for maintaining our form and giving these guys every chance to hit a decent run of form going into the final.

I actually think Marsh writes a good article and what?s wrong with him expressing his opinion? Why describe him as vile as some of you do?

Michael Kenrick
59   Posted 25/05/2009 at 18:21:27

James Marshall: "I think you should support Man Utd."

Yellow card for that. Can we please not advise fellow Evertonians that they should be supporting other teams? It is an obnoxious comment to make at the best of times, and will lead to your posts being removed.

Oh, and Peter Eastoe, you’re under warning as well for mischaracterizing this website. We post contributions from Evertonians who provide their views about the club, team, manager, etc, whatever their opinions, be they right or wrong. We have no set agendas or timetables other than discussion about Everton without abuse. If you can’t respect that then your posts will also be removed.
Alan Armstrong
60   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:02:25

Kenrick, you really are the little dictator are,nt you? Eastoe makes a couple of valid and not without a touch of irony. Not bad for £60,000 from QPR 30 years ago.
Alan Clarke
61   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:55:38

Armstrong, why have a go? MK puts hours of work into this site and does a very good job so I reckon he’s entitled to call the shots. Why don’t you set up your own website and see how you do?
Peter Eastoe
62   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:08:23

Pardon me for breathing Mr Kenrick !

Forgive me if I misunderstand the ?abuse? part of your missive from upon high.
Abuse of certain EFC personnel and the club chairman appears to be the raison d?etre of certain posters. If I catch your drift. You cannot wag your finger at contributors but can rag the crap out of players, the manager and anyone else actually employed by EFC?
Michael Kenrick
63   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:19:59

Peter, try to retain focus. You said: "Are Toffeeweb really so short of quality contributors that they have to regurigate Tony Marsh?s variations on a theme every five minutes."

Perhaps if, instead of sniping nonsense like this you were to contribute even a tenth of the content provided by Tony Marsh or, for that matter, many other contributors who represent and provide a very broad range of personal views on all things Everton that is very much the meat of this part of the site before you come out with such ridiculous statements.

Just for the record, readers are free to contribute and do so freely. If their contributions meet our basic requirements, as noted elsewhere, they are published. Of course people are going to comment opon players, the manager, the Chairman ? these are often the topics of discussion. Labelling as "abuse" opinions that differ from your own does not excuse any abuse from you.
Alan Armstrong
64   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:30:18

Clarke, still bitter over 1973 are we, Montgomery rocked and Richie Pitt was MotM.

Oh and by the way, your kid (young Wayne, not 118 Frank) did the one arm goal salute much better than you, especially Highbury 87!
Oh and catch my website armstrong-consultants.com.
Stewart Littler
65   Posted 25/05/2009 at 19:22:13

I think we all need to focus on the team, and winning the FA Cup on Saturday. Having a dig at the chairman, the manager, players or even other fans gets us nowhere. It is ALL those people who have helped get us to this place for starters. We can win it, and more importantly, we will.

The 11 will be the 11 that started yesterday, IMO. Osman was brilliant yesterday, but he has been below his own standards this season ? despite this, he has scored 7 goals in all, in 40 games. That is not a bad strike rate for a right-sided midfielder.

Something some people need to get through their heads is that we are where we are cos of the desire and commitment of a group of players who do not hold superstar status, and I would have it no other way. Leon Osman is not only an Everton player, he is a fan as well. I have met him personally, and found him to be a true Blue, and I could see tears in his eyes when he joined us in song following the semi win.

On a final note, and at the risk of a ban from a site I find extremely interesting, and enjoy reading, I have to mention Mr Kenrick?s post. I know you are the editor mate (and deserve congratulations for a fantastic site), and I don?t envy the job you do, but you are so one-sided it?s untrue. Allowing a post like this is allowing Mr Marsh to criticise a number of Everton players, not to mention a Chairman (and fan) who put his own life literally on the line for the club he loved, BUT I fully agree that the post should have been allowed, as it is his opinion.

But to ?award a yellow card? to Mr Marshall for his rather funny comment re Man Utd smacks of pathetic. If you read the rest of the bloke?s post, he says "Mate, I know you love Everton, of course you do, but as in an article I read yesterday by Bill Kenwright, some people love the club too much and you certainly qualify as one of them". The comment at the end is simply summing up Mr Marsh?s pessimism regarding all things Everton.

You then contradict yourself regarding Mr Eastoe - "We post contributions from Evertonians who provide their views about the club, team, manager, etc, whatever their opinions, be they right or wrong" ? well both Mr Eastoe and Mr Marshall were simply expressing their views, be they right or wrong.

Neither of them was offensive in any way to either Mr Marsh or Toffeeweb, and I think you should rescind both warnings immediately. In the event you don?t, and I myself am punished, I would like all 3 cases to be passed immediately to the Toffeeweb Independent Disciplinary Committee for review. See you all at Wembley!

Jamie Armstrong
66   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:36:20

Marsh, this isn?t your worst article but still what?s with the negativity? Osman hasn?t been playing great of late but the lad's being playing through the pain barrier with a knee injury all season and for that he must be rewarded with a place in the final. Who else would start? Gosling? Far too lightweight to start in a game of this magnitude.

As for the stick you aim towards Kenwright. Why, why, why? He?s supported Moyes and all the "watch this space" stuff was clearly aimed towards the Felliani transfer ? and, whether you like or dislike him, he?s proved to have been a success.

I can?t see how we won't win on Saturday. The gods have been looking down on us this year in the Cup and I just believe it will be our year. Whatever the team, let's sing our heart out for the boys in blue and show those rent boys what it?s like to support a proper club.

Michael Kenrick
67   Posted 25/05/2009 at 20:59:20

Stewart, I appreciate your comments, but I class anyone advising fellow Evertonians to become supporters of other clubs as one of the most disgusting and abusive statements you can make, no matter what level of jest may be involved. It is much more than simply "expressing a view" and I have zero tolerance for it, because it is fundamental to what we are all doing here in the first place, and flies in the face of the "Born not manufactured" mantra to which we subscribe.

Mr Marshall was committing this abuse, while Mr Eastoe was making a statement about this website’s publishing policy which was deliberately incorrect. I have zero tolerance for either. In my judgement, both went well beyond simply "expressing views".
Stewart Littler
68   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:15:23

Michael - fair enough fella, and good of you to respond so promptly, and with no room for any further misunderstanding from the culprits. Just one further question - I regularly post responses on this site, but have never known how to post an article, which I am keen to do - how does one go about doing so?
Brian Fagan
69   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:13:29

Too many words in answer to a simple question. Can we can win it !! Fellaini 1-0.
Michael Kenrick
70   Posted 25/05/2009 at 21:22:46

Stewart, Cheers. If it?s a short piece, click on the "Want to have your say?" link at the top of each Mailbag page, and fill in the form. If it?s a longer article, click on Fan Articles and there is a similar link, "Submit your own article for consideration."
Stewart Littler
71   Posted 26/05/2009 at 00:14:35

Cheers Michael. Hope to be able to contribute soon.
Alan Clarke
72   Posted 26/05/2009 at 11:14:41

Armstrong, I see what you’ve done there. Are you the same ginger haired fella who used to play for Stockport County and then Middlesborough? And are you related to the first man on the moon?

Nice website by the way.
James Boden
73   Posted 26/05/2009 at 21:44:02

The time sure has gone quick since that semi-final win, which must surely rank as one of our greatest ever moments. Not because it was a great game or a great performance but because it was so long overdue.

As you stated, Marsh, we outplayed Chelsea that night so there sure is hope. Like you, I was hoping that Osman would be dropped but at least for once he justified being in the team for the next week. I will give him his due, he played quite well at Fulham and took the goals well. Maybe that is what he needs before the final and at least I feel more confident with Osman playing than I did a week ago.

I have a feeling that Moyes may play Rodwell with Cahill up top. I agree with you that Rodwell must play. Sunday showed what he was all about as he made things look so easy. They say these are the games where heroes are made and what better way to make himself.

I also believe this game will define what Moyes is really all about. We have fought through adversity for years on end and we deserve this, we really do. If we outnumbered United fans then it is certain we will double Chelsea?s. We made an electric atmosphere for the semi so let?s make it even louder and get the place rocking. Let?s stick it to them and everyone else.

COME ON BOYS ? LET?S SHOW WHY WE ARE THE REAL BLUES.

Oh and one final thing ? At least the Kopites will have the consolation of the fact the city will be all theirs while we are off to Wembley.

ONWARDS EVERTONIANS, WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED!

James Lauwervine
74   Posted 28/05/2009 at 11:43:25

Any kind of dig at Kenright or Moyes this week is shameful. Moyes has done brilliantly this season and congrats to him on yet another manager of the year award. I still smile to think of how he got one over on the bellend across the park with his comment about how at this club ’we retain our class and dignity whatever the result’ or words to that effect.

I disagree with virtually everything Tony Marsh writes but respect his right to do so, and his posts do at least tend to create the most discussion.

Any discussion about the team for Saturday is redundant. Apart for the Hibbert/Jacobsen choice the rest of the team will be Howard, Lescott, Yobo, Baines, Osman, Fellaini, Cahill, Neville, Pienaar and Saha. I’d put my mortgage on it.

Can’t wait for the game, I too have the feeling our name is on the cup this year. COYB!
James Marshall
75   Posted 28/05/2009 at 13:42:37

Michael, I take on board what you say about the ?support Utd? comment, so fair enough, I shalln't say it again.

That said, my point wasn't that I was actually telling Tony to go and support another team, the point was that if he?s never going to be happy then he?d be happier supporting a team with sustained success. I?m sure you knew what I was saying in truth.

I?m not naive enough to think that anyone would actually go support another team, nor would I seriously tell anyone to do that - Tony will always rant on about the same things, and he?ll never be happy as a supporter, some people are just like that in life.

Personally I?m delighted with 5th place and the Cup Final, and I genuinely think we?ll win it on Saturday.

COYB.