FAN ARTICLES

I Love You, Guys!

By Steve Hili :  29/05/2009 :  Comments (14) :

I am an Evertonian. This is one of the things that actually identifies me. I am Maltese, I have dreadlocks and, for some bizarre reason, I am in love with the team that plays in Goodison Park.

I was not born a Blue ? but I wish I was. I wish that the Toffees were part of my family tradition. That my dad had taken me to my first game when I was 5, but that is not how it happened. For that reason, I am not like a lot of the ToffeeWeb readers.

However, on another level, I am exactly like all of you. My love for Everton is one of the biggest things in my world. Everton played a big part on my wedding day (especially in my Best Man?s speech), during a six-month stint in Australia, I revelled at waking up at 2 am to watch the game ? making a sacrifice made me feel like a real fan ? and even whilst living in Cambodia (I was doing volunteer work over there), I hardly missed a game, travelling over dangerous roads for miles to get to a bar, any bar that was showing the game.

When we were last in the final, I was doing an A-level, so I snuck a radio in with me to hear the commentary. And then when I couldn?t take the excitement anymore, I handed in my paper and ran off to find a bar. Over the years, I have spent thousands of pounds flying over to watch them play, and I have already had heated arguments with my wife because I would like to call our first kid (whenever he or she comes along) Dixie. She wants to keep that name for any possible future pet hamster.

I have cried for Everton, I have jumped for joy, I have danced, I have been unable to sleep and I have had physical skirmishes (especially with fans of the shite). I even stalked Thomas Radzinski, when as an Everton player he came to Malta with the Canadian national team until he finally gave me his autograph and took a picture with me. (I proceeded to tear it up the moment he bad mouthed us and went off to ruin his career.)

I am not from Liverpool ? but I still love Everton with all my heart. And on this, our greatest moment in 14 years I wanted to let the readers of ToffeeWeb know that. I love being an Evertonian. I love being a fan. All the fans I have met over the years, at home games, away games, or even in a different continent have just made me prouder. We are special. I know everyone who supports any football team might think that, but if any non-Everton fans are reading, you are deluded. Our history, our tradition, our character, what we stand for. We are unique. Everton grabbed me in a way with which nothing came close.

The Everton emotion is one of the strongest I have ever felt. The only thing that ever came close was my first feeling of being in love as a 14-year-old wannabe poet with bad acne. But even in my most angst-filled moments, as I tried desperately to find a word to rhyme with ?braces? and thus win over my jaws-like crush, I knew deep down that any love I would win would have to settle for second best. My heart belongs to Everton. Don?t get me wrong I do love my wife and my family but it is different. If you?re an Evertonian you understand.

Win, lose or draw (but we will win, I just know it), I just wanted to say ? guys I love you. All of you. With all my heart. From David Moyes to Tim Cahill, to the youth team, to the back-room staff, to the old pros, to the fans who go everywhere wearing their replica kits, to the girls I met at Goodison who thought I was from Miami (starts with ?M?... too right), to all the guys who bought me a pint, to the older fan who gave me old programmes and souvenirs to take home, to the lads who invited me to a surreal party after one of the games I saw at Godison. And to everyone connected with this club. You are Everton. All of you. And it is a pleasure and an honour to be part of that. COYB

Reader Comments

Lyndon Lloyd
Editorial Team
1   Posted 30/05/2009 at 00:39:43

Aw, Steve, you soft bastard, you :)

But you sell yourself short. You don’t have to have been born in Liverpool to an Evertonian family to be the equal of any Blue out there. It seems you’ve already proven that your blood runs Blue with the devoted antics you describe above.

And anyway, what is it they say? "Evertonians are born, not manufactured..."
Jason Broome
2   Posted 30/05/2009 at 01:19:00

Where you are born shouldn’t and doesn’t matter... Once a Blue...

There are many Liverpudlians who cross over to the dark side. So you are as blue as the Mersey!

On another note I just saw the best Tim Cahill tribute vid on YouTube...

’Tim Cahill The Football Boxer by Kopec.’

It’s only had 4845 views but trust me it’s worth a look!
Chris Whitby
3   Posted 30/05/2009 at 01:21:26

Steve do not worry you are one of us and it brought a tear to my eye reading such a passionate outpouring from a true blue.That is why we are going to win the cup today for every blue from Malta to Miami from Toxteth to Timbuktu for all those kids who have never felt the pure joy of seeing an Everton team win a trophy and for all those Evertonians of the past watching down as we put a plastic team with no history to the sword and revel in hearing the first few bars of Z cars ring out as Pip lifts that cup.
Chris Jones (Wakefield)
4   Posted 30/05/2009 at 02:37:37

Hi Steve, fellow bluenose.

Enjoy the sight of Pip lifting the trophy later today, whether you be in Mdina or Valetta, or Sliema. And give little Dixie a kiss from us all when (s)he finally comes along.

COYBB!
Lars Eidissen
5   Posted 30/05/2009 at 03:29:20

As an Arctic Blue, I second all that. Puts words to my feelings, thanks Steve.

We will win today, no worries Everton.

COYB!
Jamie Crowley
6   Posted 30/05/2009 at 05:41:09

Here! Here! Steve!

From a non-Liverpudian with no family lines to the team, but a fan nonetheless-

Well said!
Victory is near. And win or lose, we’ll walk through Hell in a gasoline suit for the Blues.
Great post.
Chris McCarthy
7   Posted 30/05/2009 at 06:58:48

Hi, Steve. Where are you watching the game? I’ll be in Times Square, Sliema.

Good to see another Maltese Blue on here.
Jonathan Fletcher
8   Posted 30/05/2009 at 10:06:56

Evertonians are not born.

They are CHOSEN.
Fergus McCarthy
9   Posted 30/05/2009 at 10:40:22

There are two types of people in this world... Evertonians... and those who wish they were!
Andy Williams
10   Posted 30/05/2009 at 10:30:30

Great Story. I have been living in Australia for the last 18 years but still feel a great affinity for the club i label as the best. Most of my family are Manchester utd supporters, so to be in the spotlight on this special day warms me. Come on Everton, do me proud lads and lets bring some success to the club that I love dear.
Daniel McKean
11   Posted 30/05/2009 at 11:21:59

Steve, I’m a scouser living in Malta, bit late now but there’s a bunch of Evertonians going to O’Caseys (Paceville) to watch the match. Come and join us if you want!
Brian Hill
12   Posted 30/05/2009 at 13:59:04

Marvellous read. I’m an exiled Scouser living in Cape Town and I’ll be watching the game surrounded by my three daughters aged 9, 7 and 5. Most Everton games are shown live here and the girls laugh themselves sick at my performance during the match, especially when we score. As a slightly older Blue, as soon as I saw your past need for a rhyme with "braces" I immediately thought of: "never saw a tackle as bad as Jimmy Case’s". Many will remember, especially Mr Nulty.
James Power
13   Posted 31/05/2009 at 00:19:39

Really good post mate. Am back from the game now and we were outplayed and outfought, I am sorry to say. But the measure of us Blues was evident at the end. It was a wonderful sight and I am proud to say I was there. We stayed, we clapped both teams and we honoured our boys and by our actions, ourselves. We hounoured the blues with our voices and with the palm

s of our hands red raw we sang for the blue of Everton. Our love of this club binds us and no need to be born in Liverpool, you were chosen. Thanks lads, this day (no matter the outcome) made me proud!

Steve Hili
14   Posted 31/05/2009 at 07:22:34

Thanks for the invites, lads - I didn?t see the thread yesterday and a group of us saw the game at Rookies in Bugibba. It is great to know there are so many Maltese blues. Let?s take over this island...

The result today hurt but the future is bright ? and the fans at Wembley were world class, as ever

EVERTON FOREVER - COYB