FAN ARTICLES

Memories are made of this

By Andrew Bentley :  02/07/2008 :  Comments (27) :
Out of all the games that you've been too at Goodison Park over the years, what is the one game that sticks in the memory like no other, and why?

For me, it has to be the last gasp escape against relegation back in 1994 when we beat Wimbledon 3-2. With 2 goals from Graham Stuart, and an absolute belter from Barry Horne! A complete rollercoaster of emotions were felt that day, total despair as Ablett put one in his own net to make it 2-0 to the Dons. To the nervous tension as Stuart clawed us back into the game, thinking we could do it, we could get out of this! And then the sheer delight as the final whistle went and we were safe. I've never heard a noise like that at GP since that match, even though there has been some cracking games there since.

ps: Just writing this has bought back memories of some long forgotten players that I've witnessed over the years and for some random reason Brett Angell has popped into my head. Brett Angell???? What the hell is he doing now? and more importantly, was there ever a worse cetre-forward playing in Royal Blue?

Reader Comments

Barry Sherlock
1   Posted 04/07/2008 at 15:16:21

Andrew,
AJ’s goal against Arsenal was a bit special, the roof nearly lifted off that day!

Mickael Madar. He made Brett Angel look like Graeme Sharp! I’ll never forgive that French guy for missing a sitter against the RS from 2 yards out.........
Ste Kenny
2   Posted 04/07/2008 at 15:56:29

Fulham at home last season. When the Yak turned the defender and stroked it home pure quality, then when he scored the third for his hat-trick I was going mental. And the 3-0 derby one of the best days of my life
Brian Waring
3   Posted 04/07/2008 at 16:09:30

Obvious, but Bayern Munich. Because at the time, they were one of the big guns in Europe, and the atmosphere was something I haven?t witnessed since, and will never witness again.
Craig Price
4   Posted 04/07/2008 at 16:17:06

Derby County home last season. Brilliant game, great performance and the best atmosphere I’ve ever heard at any ground
Ste Kenny
5   Posted 04/07/2008 at 17:15:05

Can't believe I picked Fulham!!!!
Karl Masters
6   Posted 04/07/2008 at 17:56:59

Ha Ha. Nice one, Craig!

Best game for me was beating Arsenal 6-1 long ago in 1985. Everton were simply brilliant.

Best aways were at Tottenham same year (10,000 Everton fans at WHL on a Wednesday night in a crowd of 48,000 as we beat our closest challengers 2- 1 ) to virtually clinch the League and last season in Nuremberg was another fantastic experience.
Marc Williams
7   Posted 04/07/2008 at 17:52:01

The Mersey derby at Goodison Park in the 1978-79 season.
It was only my third game & first Derby as I only went when one of my dad’s mates couldn’t go & so there was a spare ticket.
I was too young to remember us beating the shite & couldn’t even beat my Koppite friend Ken at subuteo ( though I once ran him close in a 5-4 thriller ) so was none too hopeful.
The magnificent Andy King scored with a 30 yard screamer, 1-0 to the Blues - Fantastic !
The koppites faces at school on Monday morning - Priceless !
Sean Condon
8   Posted 04/07/2008 at 17:59:46

EFC 3 Leeds 2, in ?74 or ?75. Steve Sargeant scored with a slow-roller from the half-way line (well, I was four or five, in my memory it was the half-way line), and Mick Lyons scored with a diving header at the Street end ? one of the bravest headers you?ve ever seen.
But if I?d have been there, I?m sure I would?ve plumbed for Derby last season.
Chris Jones
9   Posted 04/07/2008 at 18:26:29

Home to Bayern is a close second to a certain FA Cup quarter final tie against Ipswich. Early on Sheedy bent a ball round one side of the wall and into the net, only for the ref to demand the free kick be re-taken. Sheeds bent it around the other side of the wall and into the net once more. Sheer class.

Thereafter we somehow went behind and for much of the second half we laid siege to their goal at the Street end. Waiting for Dereck Mountfield?s equaliser (we won the replay at Portman Road) I though I was going to have a heart attack. Sadly poor old Harry Catterick did, and died at the end of the game.

Yes indeed, a very memorable match!
Adam Cunliffe
10   Posted 04/07/2008 at 18:49:09

At home against Newcastle, last game of the season in 2005 when we qualified for the chapions league qualifiers and finished above Liverpool.Atmosphere was electric.

Davey Weir scored first when I was in the toilet, then Chaill banged one in.Best game ever IMO.Shame about that Baldy Bastard Colina cheatin against Villareal.

Litterally went from Euphoria to Dispair in the space of about two months.
Mike McLean
11   Posted 04/07/2008 at 21:46:37

Versus West Brom, April 1970. We won the title that night and it was bedlam for an hour before till an hour after the game. I will NEVER forget Bally dancing round the pitch with the trophy.
Jim Lloyd
12   Posted 04/07/2008 at 22:39:45

One of greats for me was many moons ago. It was in the 62/63 season and we were playing Spurs at home and they had some great players. They were our close rivals to win the league and had already won "the double", I think it was the season before.
Anyway the atmosphere was electric and we were just beautiful to watch but it didn’t look like we were going to put the ball in the net that day, until the best British player I’ve ever seen decided otherwise.
Alex Young went for a header and rose above their centre half Maurice Norman...who was about seven foot, he rose above Dave Mackay and he rose above their goalie, Brown, to plant the ball in the net at the Street end. It was just sheer brilliance from the man. For a second everyone just stood there gob smacked then we went bananas. We won the league that season and I don’t think I’ve seen better football from our team since, although the mid eighties were magic as well.
Dave Williams
13   Posted 04/07/2008 at 22:43:03

Sunderland, 84-85 season. My dad wanted to go and see Concorde at Speke Airport but pursuaded him to Goodison. Those Gray headers and Bracewell's pass to Steven just superb. To round it off, we saw Concorde in the distance from the stand.
Santosh Benjamin
14   Posted 05/07/2008 at 02:29:55

Big Dunc?s winner against Man U...when he scored from an Arteta free kick and ran half the length of the pitch with almost the entire team riding on his back...still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when I see that! AJ?s winner against the Arse was also special!
Gary Sedgwick
15   Posted 05/07/2008 at 03:15:47

Agree with Chris Jones. That FA quarter final always lingers in my memory. We were the best team in England. We were winning virtually every game. We, the supporters, expected us to win easily. To be so close to going out to an inferior team was unheard of. The pressure EFC piled on, IT hanging on, my guts churning was unbearable. The release when DM equalised - I almost shat my pants!

Runners up? My first derby GP ’84-’85. 3-0 down at HT. Battle back to lose 3-2 but IMHO a draw was fair at least. The Blues supporters were great that day, made me laugh at HT, and that’s what I remember most. 5-0 win versus MUFC at GP. Beating UCD in the ECWC - just. FS same year, same cup (PR’s star jump still has me laughing). Any game played by our team in the 84-85 season, WLD, were happy memories.

FAC final 1989. Many had left before ET. The drama was worth staying if not the result.
Jeff Spiers
16   Posted 05/07/2008 at 07:06:24

Just watching and hearing the Park End in full battle cry from Gwladys St. Priceless. Anytime Z-Cars plays. I really do fucking love EFC!!! We are special.

Anyway, back to memories. My daughters first ever game. v Coventry early 90s. We bought our tickets for the St End and as I was getting a programme, she waited at the top of the steps. When I caught up with her, she was dumbstruck at the beautiful sight before her. Goodison! She uttered the words "Dad, I?m home".

One cold & wet miserable night v Man City, we took our seats and my daughter grabbed my arm and said "Grandad Billy is next to us". I just froze. My late father had passed away months earlier.

ps: My Missus says its about time I grew up.Im only 56. Blue blood courses through my veins so shut up woman! COYB

Derek Thomas
17   Posted 05/07/2008 at 07:37:10

So many games over the last 50 yrs, so hard to remember.

The first one Vs WBA and little Bobby Collins squaring up to some monster centre half. The atmosphere, the noise.

Too many to mention, all the usual suspects...

Enclosed spaces make their own universe and they contain both past and future echoes that soak into your very being. Like a stick of rock, if you cut me in half it would say EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB.

Kirkby will be but a pale imitation; the ruination of a once proud club and a million people's hopes and dreams.
Steve Williams
18   Posted 05/07/2008 at 10:25:22

Bayern Munich, THE best performance in a European game ever seen on Merseyside.

The redshite can?t stand the fact that, despite all their jammy wins in European, the Mighty Blues are the team who have produced the best performance in Europe, nothing they?ve ever done can match our game v Bayern.

COYB!
Dave Wilson
19   Posted 05/07/2008 at 19:26:49

The FA cup match against the shite in 1967

65,000 inside GP ? they put big screens up at Anfield, that was chocker too.

The tension was almost unbearable, we were the better team, but chances had gone begging and I was starting to fear the worst, then Bally netted the winner.
The place just exploded !

There must have been 10,000 reds inside GP that night, they must have wished they had never gone.
The Evertonians had stole the Mohamed Ali taunt of "What's my name?"
Goodison has never been louder than when that chant swirled around her

EVERTON! What's our name?

EVERTON! What's our name?

EVERTON . . . .

Paul Morgan
20   Posted 05/07/2008 at 21:00:20

An away win at Aston Villa circa 1983. Sharpy scored, the away end was jumping and you could tell we had a team that was just coming together. I was 10, got sort of split up from my dad and a load of Evertonians found him and handed me over. What a great bunch of people. Another great one was just after we scored the 3rd at our victory celebration against Luton, an old lady in the street end lost her glasses. About 20 people all instinctively stopped jumping up and down and made space in the crowd for her to find them. I love our club and its people.
Paul Morgan
21   Posted 05/07/2008 at 21:08:01

I just realised this was about games at GP. But that Villa game was exciting. Does anyone else remember it?
EJ Ruane
22   Posted 06/07/2008 at 11:28:05

King?s Drive Derby.

Depressing to think I?ll never again be that young, that thin or that happy.

Pure 100% ecstasy.
Trevor Lynes
23   Posted 06/07/2008 at 21:43:12

My memories are over the years when EFC went two seasons without a home defeat.
Beating Man Utd who had Best, Charlton, Law etc and the blues 5 nil up at half time with a hat trick from Vernon in 20 minutes. The others included the 4 nil win to win the championship against Fulham with Vernon again in the goals and Tony Kay with a huge cigar (nicknamed Cassius Kay). Beating a great Liverpool side 1 nil with Ball scoring the winner and the game being shown on the big screen at Anfield with both grounds full and thousands locked out...Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were all also rans during those great days.
Michael Kenrick
24   Posted 06/07/2008 at 21:55:56

Trevor, the memory plays tricks, methinks: there is only one glorious season when Everton were undefeated at Fortress Goodison: 1962-63. Also, Vernon never scored a hat-trick for Everton against Man Utd. Vernon got his hat-trick in that game against Fulham but the score was 4-1. Happy memories!
Sam Bones
25   Posted 07/07/2008 at 09:07:49

Well the Arteta screamer against Fiorentina capped off such a perfect and emotional European night at Goodison, the whole ground was shaking and I still havent felt the same feeling since when I saw mickey running towards us all in the Gwladys Street through a maze of arms in the air. Other games of note this season have to be against Aston Villa and Sunderland. Would have loved to seen the Bayern game though!
Stephen Lewis
26   Posted 07/07/2008 at 12:36:03

Best homes: Bayern Munich 3 - 1, Sunderland ?85 4 - 1, Wimbledon 3 - 2, Chelsea 6 - 0 (Big Bob?s 30th), Andy King?s derby

Best ?aways?: Spurs FA Cup semi at Elland Road (Blues on 3 sides of pitch), Newcastle Boxing Day 4 - 0(?) in ?85?, Luton FA Cup semi at Villa Park (Sheeds, Derek Mountfield after being behind and terrible for most of the game)

Best one listening at home on the radio: Southampton semi and Inchy?s extra time winner.

The thread is brightening up a dismal Monday!
Mike Galley
27   Posted 08/07/2008 at 19:56:26

I went to Villa away in the run in to the 87 title. Beat them 1-0 with a very late goal (Sheedy I think) at the Everton end. Absolute bedlam. I think that might have been the day we caught the other shower in the title race, as I?m sure they gat beat at anfield the same time. Anyway, it felt like there were 20,000 blues in the ground that day. A Villa fan who I work with told me Everton's support that day still gets the occasional mention in the Villa fanzines! Wonder if we?ll ever see days like that again?