FAN ARTICLES

I need a chill-pill...

By Mark Wynne :  03/07/2008 :  Comments (20) :
I'm fed up to the eye teeth with folks telling us here on Toffeeweb about how well run the club is, how Kenwright and Wyness have taken a long term approach or how impressive the long line of players is that we're being linked with. The truth of the matter is that I'm yet to read anywhere anything about David Moyes signing a new contract. The Steve Round saga seems to be continuing and considering his links to both Steve McClaren and the England set-up, he's not the most inspirational choice of 2IC in my mind.

There was that farcical "bid" for Aaron Ramsey and the constant transfer madness, that, let's face it, is even being given oxygen by the official website (see the piece where Tony Hibbert is impressed with the names we're being linked with) and the ongoing mess that is Destination Kirkby.

Regardless of what comes out of that club, there is more than a whiff of everything depending on the outcome of Destination Kirkby and the potential calling-in of the project by Central Government. With so many retail names tied up with the plans ? Terry Leahy, Philip Green and Robert Earl, to name but three ? I can't help but think that all their money will go elsewhere if Kirkby doesn't go ahead. The shopping mall with a football ground sandwiched between the trolley stop and bicycle park will be consigned to the history books to be filed between Kings Dock and WMDs.

Add to that, that the Bellefield plans went tits-up and you do get the impression that Kenwright and Wyness really have put their eggs in one basket. I can honestly believe they have no 'Plan B'. Any businessman worth his salt has a Plan B; Kenwright and Wyness don't fall into that category.

It's no wonder then that Moyes hasn't signed yet. There is probably no money for transfers unless Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee really want to bring the club to its knees and any thoughts of competing with the likes of Villa, City, Spurs, Pompey, QPR (watch out for them) and Sunderland for success are but a pipe-dream. He's probably looking elsewhere already.

Getting an e.mail, like I did the other day, saying I could get a fiver off a £45 season subscription to their mobile service, just makes me angry. There's no way I'm giving them that sort of money so I can get an SMS telling me how much Leon Osman likes go-karting or what Phil Neville thinks of a bloke he used to play with in United's youth team. It's a bloody disgrace and they should be ashamed.

Reader Comments

Barry Bragg
1   Posted 04/07/2008 at 07:30:10

Mark, in a few weeks we will have 4 or 5 new players in the ranks; Moyes will have signed his contract; Kirby will have been approved; the club will win it’s appeal over Bellfield and the new season will be in sight...Oh and various Liverpool players (who should really know better) will begin to declare their belief that this is the year for number 19.

Rumours and non news stories are the price we pay for 24 hour tele comms mate. There is a lot of dead time to fill and the real news stories are few and far between. I honestly believe its the same for most supporters of most clubs.
Now where are those tablets?
Robert Jones
2   Posted 04/07/2008 at 07:39:10

Well you got two things right.

BK and KW are crap.

And you do need a chill pill!
Neil McKinney
3   Posted 04/07/2008 at 09:12:50

Don’t see your point really. Yeh BK and KW are crap, but I think you’ll find that most articles and posts on this site say that! I’m not sure where you’ve been reading all this pro BK and KW stuff, certainly not on this site.

Thanks for depressing the hell out of me. I suggest anti-depressants not chill pills, or are they the same thing?
Dick Fearon
4   Posted 04/07/2008 at 09:42:38

Fed up to the eye teeth with folks here on Toffeeweb praising BK and KW !!!
I’m flabberghasted.
Richard Harris
5   Posted 04/07/2008 at 11:04:05

I don’t think that I’ve ever praised Keith Wyness on Toffeeweb !! I feel dirty at the thought........
Barry Sherlock
6   Posted 04/07/2008 at 11:46:29

Barry Bragg,
4 or 5 players to what standard? Anything of any class?
EFC to win appeal over LCC regarding Bellefield?
Kirkby NOT getting called in???
DM to sign?
I wish I had your optimism! We all know BK and KW are not the best. I guess that’s why I don’t have your optimism. We will need Steve Round to do a great job with the youth lads because next season is going to be about them.
Andrew Steen
7   Posted 04/07/2008 at 12:11:46

In today’s Times there is an article relating to a sponsorship deal that QPR have pulled off

They will now be sponsored on there shirts by Gulf Air (great PR in the middle east) and will recevie a payment of £1mn for this. The deal also agrees that Gulf Air will pay QPR £3mn per year for two years (09/10 & 10/11 season) if they are in the premiership

If you assume they reach the premiership (big assumption i know) then wont the £3mn per annum be greater than the new Chang deal KW concluded a few months back!!!! and they are a championship team

They have also announce that there Financial Services partner will be Abbey (owned by Santander group - one of the largest global banks) - Who is it that everton associate with? - Brittania??

QPR have momentum on the transfer/playing side but bloody hell they dont half have momentum on the marketing side!!!
Liam Young
8   Posted 04/07/2008 at 12:59:33

Reading anything to do with our club right now seems depressing, but one thing I can say about everyones opinions, they mean the same as what media stories do, jack shit.
We don't know if we're moving grounds, we don't know why Moyes hasn?t signed a new deal yet, and we don't know why we're not signing players (though not many clubs are). All I know is, personally I'm getting a little nervous about it all,
And all we can do is sit back and wait for something to happen.
That about sums it up I feel.
Tony Williams
9   Posted 04/07/2008 at 13:38:14

Mark, what parallel universe are you visiting from? People on ToffeeWeb praising Blue Bill & Fat Keith????

As Steve asked, Why was the Ramsay offer farcical? Didn?t Ramsay himself say he would have chosen us over ManUre? He decided last minute to go to Le Arse due to the way Wenger treated him.

Did like your comment on WMD?s though
Ciarán McGlone
10   Posted 04/07/2008 at 14:03:33

I may be being daft here...But when did Ramsey say he’d choose us over united!

I read nothing of the sort!
Barry Sherlock
11   Posted 04/07/2008 at 14:17:23

Ramsey HAS signed for Arsenal. So what does it matter that he WOULD have rather signed for the blues than Utd? It’s irrelavent. What matters is who we ARE signing. And that’s not many. The Turkish/Brazilian isn’t coming, Ramsey isn’t coming, the big Dutch lad isn’t coming, Ronaldo isn’t coming..... Arshavin definately isn’t coming!

But WHO is? Come on KW, you are supposed to be on the phone to DM 4 times a day discussing possible targets. Well get off the effing phone and get some deals done.
Andy Mac
12   Posted 04/07/2008 at 20:49:43

Barry, sorry to pile on the angst, but, Drogba isn’t coming, Berbatov isn’t coming, Lampard isn’t coming, Gerrard isn’t (shit.. forget that one..) Why the heck should we start panicking just because who the gutter press speculate we are "trying to sign", as opposed to their agents leaking that we made a general enquiry (like 100+ other clubs). Believe nothing until EFC site have the photo of the player with our scarf. Don’t be disappointed, or annoyed with Moyes or BK, if "fantasy" doesn’t turn into reality.
Nathan Snell
13   Posted 04/07/2008 at 21:00:23

No doubt some of you have shared these wise words to loved ones, family members (for some of us there is an unfortunate differentiation), friends of the family, friends, colleagues and people who give you the time of day... all good things come to those who wait! Mark my words fellow Blue noses.... our time is coming!
Steve Williams
14   Posted 04/07/2008 at 22:45:03

I have posted a similar piece on Grand Old Team and I am of the opinion that Moyes shouldn't've mentioned taking the club on to the next level, which was probably said to put the board under pressure but all it has really done is put the pressure on the lot of us ? board, supporters, himself ? as his and our expectations have risen tenfold and we will end up starting the season pre-judging the signings before a ball is kicked. Whoever is bought will be expected to take us to the next level regardless. I would have much prefered to just read about signings but don't forget the newspapers have got nothing to write about apart from swopping old news with eachother. It's bad enough reading Tony Hibbert and co getting excited about new signings...
ps: Do we have a marketing dept and if so which floor is it on?
Dick Fearon
15   Posted 04/07/2008 at 23:38:36

Cripes! We had Mark W saying that TW and its mailbaggers really like Kenwright and Wyness. If that is true then they have a funny way of showing it.
Now I am all a tremble because of Nathan S warning that our time is coming!

Appocalypse? Armageddon? Paradise? I would not mind the latter but not today please.
Steve Douglas
16   Posted 05/07/2008 at 07:24:49

I think this post is an unwarranted attack and slur on Tweedledum and Tweedledee; surely our undynamic duo are more like Laurel and Hardy?
Nathan Snell
17   Posted 05/07/2008 at 08:07:07

Thank you Dick and Dom...I mean Steve! I am forever the optimist! For what it?s worth I believe that we will sign 4/5 new players that will enhance the performance/ablility level of the team in addition to adding more the numbers to the squad......

Here?s another one for you... Rome wasn?t built in day!!!

Jay Harris
18   Posted 05/07/2008 at 15:29:30

No but it was destroyed in a day, Nathan.
Trevor Lynes
19   Posted 06/07/2008 at 17:46:45

Not like L&H at all, they were funny!! Much more like Burke and Hare for me. We could have had Arshavin BEFORE the Euro Championships for buttons compared to what he will fetch today...

What's with Kenwright's pessimism of finding a buyer because of us having two city clubs? So has Manchester... and London has lots more. Why is it that he can be allowed to get away with such a ridiculous answer? We must be more attractive to buy than lots of other clubs who have real investment and, let's face it, AMBITION.

It is really short sighted to allow us to slide when it costs hundreds of thousands of pounds for each place we drop in the league when we could sustain a decent challenge by buying about three decent squad players and one real star. We could then possibly afford to sell without serious damage..

Alex Baker
20   Posted 07/07/2008 at 14:11:48

Why do people keep saying we could have got Arshavin on the cheap before the Euros? In January maybe, but he would have been cup tied for the UEFA Cup. No way would Zenit have sold him before the Euros, because his value could (and did) skyrocket!!!! It was far more beneficial for Zenit to get as much out Arshavin as possible!!!!!