FAN ARTICLES

And then there was one!

By Brian  Noble :  26/07/2008 :  Comments (84) :
Signings by both Blackburn and Sunderland in the last 24 hours brings the stark realization that Everton are now ALL ALONE in not adding new players to their roster.

Now, in previous years, you would have seen me laying the blame squarely at the feet of `Dithering Dave` and whilst I am still not totally convinced that our man is the most dynamic operator in the transfer market, I just cannot believe that he has CHOSEN to shop at `the last minute sales`.

Granted this year`s has been a slow market and whilst there may well be last minute bargains to be had around midnight on August 31st, that`s not exactly the ideal way to go about team-building. Plenty of VdMs, Gravesens and Gardners, of course, but do we just need `numbers`?

So, just whom or what do we hold to account? The delay in establishing the DK situation is the current favourite but the Club have already been at pains to stress that `the outcome will have no effect on the funds made available to the manager`. And they wouldn`t lie about that ..... would they?

Second favourite is Bully`s reluctance to pay summer wages to new signings and his penchant for stringing out negotiations until they reach breaking point with selling clubs, agents and players.

And third, of course, is the role of Blue Bill. Is his club so strapped for cash that without his full-time search for investors bearing fruit soon, there will be no money available to do anything except extend Shandy Andy`s contract until he, too, is 35?

So many imponderables... so much angst amongst so many people who care. So please help me through the thought process, what`s your take on the situation?

Reader Comments

James Elliott
1   Posted 26/07/2008 at 11:17:40

So... 3 weeks before the season starts... off to America for a week... STILL no new signings... picking up injuries... STILL no decision on Kirkby.... Moyes not signed a new contract... every summer its the same but this is getting stupid!

We have to make signings now or we are going to be in some big trouble when the season starts. What the hell is going on at our club? We are turning into a joke. Is Johnson going, yes or no? What is our transfer budget? What is the truth about the new stadium? All I want is some simple answers, but the club never give them.

Every newspaper in the country knows Johnson is leaving but our club says no he's not. If we don't have any transfer budget then tell us why. All I'm after is a little truth.

I really think that we could be about to blow a golden opportunity to break into the top 4... What the hell is going on?

Karl Masters
2   Posted 24/07/2008 at 23:51:29

We all have our opinions on subjects like DK and we have undoubtedly been subjected to economies of truth ( alright then lies! ) by the Club, but here are some worrying facts.

Last season, the Team had 2 ceditable Cup runs and a 5th place finish. It was generally acknowledged by Moyes, all fans, players and even BK, that with a bigger squad we could have either won one of the Cups or grabbed 4th off our loveable neighbours.

Moyes says we need 5 or 6 players, but even that would give us a squad no bigger than last season. Whether the quality would be any better depends on who, if anybody, we sign.

We have Cahill, Hibbert and Vaughan already definitely missing the start and Arteta, Lescott & Baines feeling their way back after injury. Anichebe is at the Olympics. We are rapidly heading towards an opening day against Blackburn playing with this line up:

Howard Jagielka Yobo Lescott Baines Neville Gosling Arteta Osman Pienaar Yakubu

Subs: Ruddy, VDM, Jutkiewicz, Baxter, Kissock, Agard, ?

Any injuries and we are stuffed. The bench is just kids and an old, fat wino! What the hell is going on?

Jay Harris
3   Posted 26/07/2008 at 14:28:01

There is no question "Black Bill" has run out of cash and is fast running out of friends.

Phil Green reportedly pulled out a couple of months ago and I’m sure Robert Earl was just waiting for his promised Xmas present as the "formality" of DK went ahead.

I hate to say it but Kirkby presented the opportunity for large borrowings and therefore plenty of creative accounting to enable more player buying.

Now the project has been delayed and may be called in panic has set in an KW wont be able to massage the numbers and Earl is probably ready to jump ship too.

I thought it was significant that BK said recently he would consider selling up when the documentation presented to KMBC stated clearly that the directors would not consider selling or diluting their shareholding.

Anyway the transfer farce is making a mockery of our club and sums up Kenwrights reign.
Nathan Round
4   Posted 25/07/2008 at 09:44:49

Watching from afar this year (Port Lincoln, Australia), I just shake my head in disbelief at the goings on this summer...

We all know whats gone on, transfers, the ground move, the lies, the more lies and then there is the spin. It's so comical it seems unreal... surely, surely this will hinder our season to the point... ? ahhh im sick of it all.

I love Everton more than life itself, but I can't go on supporting such a bloody shambles of a football club. (I will however support my boys who take to the park each week.) The name of everton has been sullied forever in my heart and soul though... Thank you, monkeys at the top. I hate you.

Tony Kelly
5   Posted 26/07/2008 at 08:42:01

Perhaps this is some good news for all you maning ninnies: Have you seen the headlines in this morning's Daily Post? George Howarth urging labour MP's to ditch Gordon Brown. Kilfoyle agrees with him.

I don't think they would be talking like this if they got the go-ahead for DK... In the words of the despicable Mrs Thatcher... REJOICE! REJOICE!

Trevor Lynes
6   Posted 26/07/2008 at 14:32:08

I wholeheartedly agree with the comments so far... how on earth can a manager and his squad go to the USA so near the start of the new season without a single new signing!?!

I have been a Blues fan for over 50 years and I'm embarrassed at the total lack of planning, forethought and, lets' face it... respect for the fans. The fans at EFC are amongst the most loyal in the country. They travel in large numbers all over the country and get consistently ignored by the management.

Instead of looking forward to the new season with optimism of improving or maintaining the improvement shown over the past few seasons, I am filled with trepidation. We have lost players and are carrying members of the squad with injuries, both short and long term...

I keep on thinking that surely I'm wrong and that players of note will soon join our ranks; nothing happens. We need at least five new players with a player of Moutinho?s ability amongst them. Even the likes of Pompey, Sunderland etc are spending and strengthening. Unless we have youngsters with the latent ability of the Busby babes then I don't look forward to a rosy future.. Is DM leaving all the transfer negotiations with Bully to progress????

John Davies
7   Posted 26/07/2008 at 14:35:18

Its naive to expect the ’truth’. Why would the club expose its business plan to the scrutiny of all and sundry, thereby exposing weaknesess in finances etc. to opponents in a very competitive market. Remember Everton is a private business and the majority of us are supporters not shareholders. Anyway probably there is little to say at present. The general plan is known. Its patently obvious the main target is Moutinho. This season we are after one or two quality signings with a couple of other additions. The twists and turns of the negotiations are just froth for the tabloids really.
John Andrews
8   Posted 26/07/2008 at 14:49:12

Sadly I think that Lieness is, allegedly, in charge of getting the transfers in. Knowing Lieness, I don’t really, he has probably stalled and stalled in the vain hope that DK will be resolved sooner rather than later. This will release some more money for BK to borrow against future earnings and therefore giving him some money for Moyes.
Billy Bigsby
9   Posted 26/07/2008 at 14:47:56

I know it must be hard for some people on here but let's be positive, the season hasn't even started yet! Ok, no new signings but they're on there way... Moyes has said 5 to 6 by start of season so give him a chance.

Hopefully by the start of the season he will have signed his contract, Kirkby will be powering ahead and 5-6 new faces in the squad. Then what are the "County Road posse" going to be saying? Hopefully the same as most Evertonians ? let the season begin!!!

Richard Dodd
10   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:37:49

Brian Noble is an ?ante?! He?s a critic of the Chairman, the CEO and quite often the Manager. Naturally he?s opposed to Kirkby, ground-sharing and yet regards Goodison as ?a shithole?. He?s not always supportive of the players and last night at our common hostelry he was sounding off about Phil Neville!

In short, there?s no way of pleasing Brian Noble so don?t feed his ego by responding to his closed-minded views!
IMWT and he?s a Blue Bill fan!

Dave Southword
11   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:39:46

To demand that the club tell us how much money we have to spend and who we intend to spend it on, and for that matter whether we want to sell Johnson is lunacy. You must all know that.

I suspect that we are waiting on moving on transfers because we need Fulham to complete the AJ transfer when they return from HK. That will make our budget clearer I would imagine - but like all of you doom mongers, I’m just guessing.

I don’t think we are missing out on transfer targets because of the delay. Moyes moved for Ramsey when bids started arriving for him. Granted, we didn’t get him but Arsenal is an atteractive proposition for a young player.

It is going to be difficult to find players to improve the 5th best team in England and I don’t want a bunch of squad players signed who won’t ordinarily get in the team just because some fans are unhappy.

Could be worse - we could be Tottenham. 4 players gone already and the best two players at their club want to leave.
Brian Noble
12   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:47:51

I?m sure you meant ?anti?,dear Doddy!
But if you somehow mean Kenwright & Co are playing for high stakes, you are 100% correct and they are certainly in the wrong school!
Santosh Benjamin
13   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:31:53

I have been an Everton fan for just over 20 years now. I live in India and get to see (on tv) a lot more of the Premier League these days. The only games I used to get to watch were when we played the "BIg 4" but now get to watch many more of our games.

At the end of the last season when we dragged ourselves across the finish line and managed to hold on to a Uefa Cup spot and inspite of being disappointed with the sad end to our Uefa and Carling Cup runs and 4th place, I was confident that we would strengthen our midfield and other areas of need in the summer and start the next season with a real chance at a Cup win and 4th place in the league.

The first few weeks after the season ended, the silly rumors were floating around linking us to all but Pele himself! Then as time went on, I started to worry that Moyes himself hadnt signed a new contract and all the players we were linked with earlier started to be bought by other clubs.

As the pre-season started and we returned to training with a few bobs and bits, I really started to panic. My fears were not unfounded as we saw 2 straight defeats to start the campaign (including one to Cambridge!). No offence to the lads from Cambridge but even with half our 1st team fit, we should have given them a pasting!

There were the usual glimpses of AvdM in the early games but that soon ended with the Forest game. Then the AJ fiasco comes along and we don't see him play in 2 straight games when he is fit... yet the club comes out and denies all knowledge of a deal being finalised for him! I really like the guy but if we are going to sell him, let's get it done with.

I see that a few of the youngsters, especially Jose Baxter and Jack Rodwell, are having a pretty good pre-season but that alone will not suffice to allay my fears for what could be a long and hard season for us unless we start buying soon and well.

We head to America now with no new lads to blood in on the long trip and no confirmation that Moyes will be our boss when the season starts. I hope that i am proved wrong and we get some good new players to add to our existing lot and Moyes stays on to guide is forwards...COYB

Dan McKie
14   Posted 26/07/2008 at 16:00:17

I have rarely got too concerned about signings and I certainly didn't expect us to have any wrapped up by the end of May, like some have, but I must admit I'm getting a little worried and even the story that we will get Moutinho for £18M (according to the Star this morning) has done nothing but heighten my anxiety. The reason for that is, if we had to sell AJ for £10.5M to go after this player (with another £7.5M to find), then what?

Yeah, he is a great player, but if he is all we signed before the season started then we are fucked, pure and simple! I say we need 3-4 midfielders and a replacement for AJ (should he go) and we are fast running out of time! I hope to be proved at least a little wrong before PSV come to Goodison!

Sonny Phillips
15   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:58:08

Well fuck that then I?m sending my season ticket back and going to Blackburn next season.

I think I will put my trust in Moyes before all you footballing geniuses. He has done a more than OK job up to now in my opinion.

Let Moyes get on with it like he did last season when the exact same ??worries?? were being spouted by all you ??worried blues??. And to say you?re embarrassed to be a blue because we haven?t signed Dick Dastardly and Sporticus is just pathetic.
Steve Taylor
16   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:50:53

I gave up reading these comments halfway down.
Why is everyone so surprised??
Yes, we have the most loyal supporters in the country, and Yes, we will still turn up in large numbers week in - week out to drink warm Chang!
THE BOARD KNOW THIS!!
How many times do you have to be lied to, be left without tickets for cup games due to the club’s marketing incompetance, or be left waiting 2 weeks for a kit that looks not much different than last years?
Any other business or service provider, and we would all have walked long ago, yet still we turn up!! Why? Because we are BLUES, BORN NOT MANUFACTURED!
Support the team and DM, but make sure BK and KW know we are not happy.
Unfortunately, I really fear that the only way this will come to a head is if either DM walks or we go down.
PROUD TO HAVE VOTED NO!
COYB!!!!!!
Adam Jameson
17   Posted 26/07/2008 at 16:07:01

I presume we would take every fit first-team player we have to America ? bar AJ of course ? and at a quick count at the the travelling squad on the official site, i counted 14!!! With 7 subs next year in the Premier League, that's 18 needed for every fixture.....ridiculous.
Ed Fitzgerald
18   Posted 26/07/2008 at 15:47:59

Even the most ardent optimist would have to conclude that we are in a bit of mess. The reasons are many:

? Six players maybe seven out, none in
? The lack of marketing presence within the City
? The continuing shambles over DK
? The request for an EGM
? The kit fiasco
? No contract signed by the manager
? The clubs pitiful marketing strategy

We could add to the list but what?s the point? No amount of spin spewed out by Ross is going to convince any Evertonian of any intelligence that the club's leadership and management are in good hands. People like Mr. Dodd are ?Demolition Merchants of Reality? (the author Francis Wheen?s phrase); they have the evidence at their disposal but choose to draw conclusions that are rose-tinted at best and delusional at worst. I am sure the Everton Board could propose anything to Richard and people of his ilk and he would think it was a good idea. Here are a few off the wall ideas

? Formulate a transport plan for DK that includes planning for 1000 cyclists to travel there
? Offer a 4-year contract on £30k per week for an average (and I am being kind here) player
? Shut down a City Centre store in time for the Capital of Culture when an influx of visitors to the City is likely, leaving your biggest rivals to ensure they monopolise any marketing opportunities

That?s enough madcap ideas for now! People keep posting responses and saying how fans don?t understand that it is a private business concern. This would be all good stuff of course if it was a well run outfit but the financial acumen demonstrated by Billy and Wyness don?t exactly stack up, does it?

Andrew McDonnell
19   Posted 26/07/2008 at 17:06:44

It?s worth bearing in mind that while Moyes hasn?t been "dynamic" in the transfer market, he certainly has been effective. It?s hard to dispute the fact that with a handful of mistakes, most of whom have kept a fair degree of their value on being sold on, he has transformed the squad he inherited into one of far greater quality.

Now don?t get me wrong ? of course I?m anxious to see additions, but I think we can all agree we?re not flush with cash, and so money must be spent wisely. It might be a question of waiting to see if we can get Moutinho before moving for other players; there are probably many permutations to be considered in terms of comings and goings. That itself may depend on whether richer or more attractive clubs come in, on how much is paid up front (and this is true for all clubs) - this may mean in turn that the terms of the deal for AJ in terms of cash up front is a factor too.

It?s hard to ask for patience, but expecting the club to lay open their dealings or believing that clubs typically pay transfer fees up front is frankly naive.

If the club had rushed to buy Nugent and Koumas last year, would the cash at the end of the window been there for the Yak when he became available, or for Pienaar?s wages?

Moyes is not without faults (like any of us) but his record of steadily improving the squad on a budget can?t seriously be questioned.

We?ll get there.....
Colin Fitzpatrick
20   Posted 26/07/2008 at 17:22:43

Ed Fitzgerald ? I can honestly say that those few short paragraphs have summed up the situation perfectly, you?ll still get some apologists attempting to defend the indefensible but that was one of the best and comprehensive posts I?ve read on here. It comes to something when even Dominic King is beginning to realise that the explanations (I?m being diplomatic) are running out.
Neil Yarnold
21   Posted 26/07/2008 at 17:43:33

I don?t believe it will be impossible for Moyes to sign half a dozen players before the window closes ? he has five weeks to go yet!
We always get anxious at this time and Davey always comes up trumps. I?m off to Sardinia in the morning and have vowed not to buy an English paper until I?m back at JL ? there?s faith for you!
Karl Masters
22   Posted 26/07/2008 at 17:35:37

Yes, Ed Fitzgerald. Spot on.

I actually don’t enjoy knocking Everton because, in the main, there are some really good people there from many of the office staff through to Moyes, the coaching staff, players and the excellent work done in the community.

However, as is often the case, much is being ruined by a few, and in this instance it appears they are all near the top of the tree. It really is a worry.

Roger Barker
23   Posted 26/07/2008 at 18:12:30

I don?t think we shall see any transfer activity until a Johnson deal is sewn up and releases funds for signings. I firmly believe that AJ does not want to go and is being frozen out by Moyes who is desperate for the money. The club is in a right state, believe me, and although I?m a No voter it will only get worse if DK is called in. Not a pot to piss in is about right, I guess!
Oliver Nidden
24   Posted 26/07/2008 at 18:40:40

There will be no complaints from me if our only signing is Moutinho and the squad is made up with the brilliant kids Moyes has developed. I?d rather see the likes of Baxter, Rodwell and Co than have to see money wasted on skivers like AVdM.
Wayne Smyth
25   Posted 26/07/2008 at 18:34:52

None of us really have any idea what the situation is regarding transfers. Only a handful of people know what the managers targets are or how much he has to spend or whether DK really affects our budget or whether Johnson has to be sold to bring in extra funds.

However, the fact that Moyes has not signed a new contract speaks volumes and suggests that maybe he isn’t being supported by the board in the way he would expect.
Adam Hunter
26   Posted 26/07/2008 at 18:52:08

"There will be no complaints from me if our only signing is Mourihno and the squad is made up with the brilliant kids Moyes has developed"

Complete and utter nonsense.. so I suppose that's Neville at holding midfielder. Are these the brilliant kids that got walloped by Cambridge?
Andrew Dickinson
27   Posted 26/07/2008 at 19:33:05

Everyone chill out, Its all going to be fine, Neville is with us for another 4 years :-) what more could we ask for?
Den Leonard
28   Posted 26/07/2008 at 19:39:50

I?m relatively new to ToffeeWeb having previously contented myself with the daily papers and the OS.
Since discovering the Mailbag I?ve become a nervous wreck ? sick with worry about every aspect of the club. Is it always like this?
Tommy Jones
29   Posted 26/07/2008 at 19:44:22

In Moyes I trust. I think we are doing great so lay off the club and try SUPPORTING IT.

Moyes is a smart man and we could have signed 5 or 6 duffers or over priced goods if it wasn't for him.

Our top aim should be a Moyes contract first and foremost and then more revenue generation aka move to Kirkby.

See yuz all in Colorado on the 3rd.
Richard Dodd
30   Posted 26/07/2008 at 20:05:29

Well said, Tommy. Why do so many of you thrive on being negative. Under David Moyes ? admirably backed by Blue Bill ? we have had six years of almost unbridled success. Every close season we have this sniping and every time Davey comes up with players who improve the squad.
This year will be no different and in your hearts you all know it so give us a break, will you?
Lol Crode
31   Posted 26/07/2008 at 20:10:53

Bill Kenwright has about £10M invested in Everton FC. That?s roughly £10M more than anybody who writes to this mailbag.
Just tell me, why should he do ANYTHING to predjudice the value of his holding? He has an excellent manager and whatever we think a CEO who keeps the ship well afloat.
OK, he?s a luvvie and a bit naive but somehow I think that he can be relied upon to do the right thing for the club -even if it is to preserve his investment!
Ed Fitzgerald
32   Posted 26/07/2008 at 20:13:50

Richard

You should get a job as greeter in the ASDA or even better TESCO (do they have them there?) your unstinting, unwavering optimism is relentless. Your blind belief in our leadership borders upon treating them as demi-gods.

Err just a wee word of caution: the manager you speak so gushingly of has not even signed his contract yet, perhaps he is an old sceptic just like lots of us?
Simon Chester
33   Posted 26/07/2008 at 20:11:37

They don?t deserve our support, the Neville ?signing? is an insult to our intelligence.
Something else occured to me, who plans things at Everton? They play a friendly against Forest and go to America the next day? ..... bizarre!!!
They?d be better off with Ken Dodd running the Club.
Jay Harris
34   Posted 26/07/2008 at 16:41:43

And to top it all Ed the fuckin Chairman says "I don't know whats going on I?m only a fan like you".
That sums it all up for me.
The sooner Kenwright goes the better.
Jay Harris
35   Posted 26/07/2008 at 20:53:24

Why are people coming on here thinking the criticism is aimed at Moyes and saying Moyes will pull rabbits out of the hat, he always does?

Don't they realise it's out of Moyes's hands and that's why he?s ot signing his contract.

Billy 2 tongues is potless and running out of friends fast.

It?s time for a vote of no confidence before next season is the disaster it's looking like now.
Harold Busfeldt
36   Posted 26/07/2008 at 21:58:41

Den,
yes mate its ALWAYS like this on TW. If you aren?t having a breakdown already, it'll send you into one.

Steer clear if you want to remain sane. More optimism can be found (...almost anywhere....) but as far as the web goes sites such as Grand Old Team are a little more rational.
Steve Pugh
37   Posted 26/07/2008 at 22:16:31

Adam, no its the brilliant kids that beat Preston.

Jay, 2 posts, second one spot on. First one let it go, it just devalued the quality of the second post.

Rich Jones
38   Posted 26/07/2008 at 22:31:30

Lol ? add liar to that too.
Philip Chappell
39   Posted 27/07/2008 at 08:03:36

See all the old skeltons in the cupboard have been rattled!!- The negative vibes. The fans of clubs below us must be ?laughing their socks off? at some of the comments on this page, they would have loved to finished where we are.

Now here's a few positives... DM will sign a new contract, Moutinho will sign, Fernandes will sign again, plus a goalie & a striker. It?s not perfect but I take it to where we were before Moyes & Bill.... With Johnson the King of the no money hamper empire ? that?s when we were nose diving into decline.

Definite lack of real investment & BK genuine. I?m sure he will step down if a real big investor with the clubs interests at heart. But surely if LFC are stuggling to build the Stanley Park ?Titantic? stadium (sunk before it really started!!), we will expect to have problems in this economic climate.

Finally, if the other Premier League clubs knew who we are really after in the transfer market ? they would be in like a flash!!IMWT...OBG

John Sreet
40   Posted 27/07/2008 at 08:56:40

We?ve seen our transfer targets ?targeted? by other clubs again and again, seems like most clubs are going to the line on transfers, not many transfers for most clubs. Those that have bougt haven?t bought anything of value (except the top three).

7 players out; well how many games did Stubbs, Gravesen, Wessels play? If Johnson goes we?ll get another, probably two others

Why should the club, a private business, tell anyone about their plans? Oh yeah, don?t post about what plans.... .there?s always a plan ? good or bad.

Christopher Hadden
41   Posted 27/07/2008 at 09:09:31

I?ve just read half a dozen of the above comments and am concerned by the number of complaints levelled at BK. All we have to do is look across the park to see what happens when you let the big foriegn investors take over. Blue Bill is not made of money and is undoubtadly not the best chairman, we all have our faults. But at the end of the day it wasn?t that long ago that Walter Smith bought David Ginola and we were fighting for Premiership survival. Moyes has come in and together with Kenwright has guided us to the highest position possible.

I like most Evertonians across the country want to see big signings but let's just step back a second. Leeds United were the last team who got close to the top four, they splashed the cash in an attemt to become a superteam and look at them now. Patience must be the word for Evertonians now, and I know it's been the word for a long time but let's have faith in BK and Moyes.

We need new signings, no Evertonian will argue, but let's allow Moyes a few more weeks... remember, although the season starts in three weeks, the transfer window will still be open until September. Remember The Yak wasn?t with us for the opening game.

There is nothing I?d hate more than to see Everton sold off to some emotionless foreigner so let's give Blue Bill some more time and see what happens. Surely the progress made in recent years means BK should have at least another year to make progress with players and a new stadium.

Joey Koo
42   Posted 27/07/2008 at 09:52:26

Ed - spot on mate.
Den - yep, TW discusses the reality of our current situation - hence your impending nervous breakdown.
Karl - thats not a bad line up mate - except for Neville but I suppose we need to get our monies worth now :D
Tony Malpas
43   Posted 27/07/2008 at 10:02:41

Chris and John. Nothing you say alters the fact that we are the ONLY Prem club yet to make a signing. Hardly in the vanguard for the better players,are we? Moyes said he needed six and I?ve no doubt he?ll get them but all the indications are that they will be last-minute loans and has-beens in the mould of Gravesen and Gardner and perhaps not even that good unless he can find a buyer for AJ.

Oh,and we?d all be a bit more optimistic if he put pen to paper!

Phil Griffiths
44   Posted 27/07/2008 at 10:22:19

??It is now only just over 3 weeks till the season starts. We have signed nobody new. We are down McFadden, Stubbs, Carsley, Gravesen, Wessels & Fernandes and seemingly Johnson, ie 7 PLAYERS."

Gravesen, Wessels & Stubbs must have played no more than 5 games between them - I agree what a huge loss to the squad.

Fernandes come in Jan and didn?t do a thing until the last 3/4 games - again huge loss.

Carsley is a loss but will definatley be replaced and if reports are believed which knowing you lot you don?t then it will be someone of exceptional quality i.e. Moutinhio.

Johnson will also be a loss but IF he goes he WILL be replaced.

FFS will you lot get a life!!!!

Ed Fitzgerald
45   Posted 27/07/2008 at 10:55:56

Phil

Why not listen to the manager, does he sound happy??

We are about to have another crack at the Uefa Cup. Your searing analysis of the player situation fails to recognise the players who are also injured or unavailable. It is Moyes who is demanding 5 or 6 players because we need them.
Neil Scott
46   Posted 27/07/2008 at 11:18:48

Phil

Cast your mind back to the last two months of last season. Threadbare squad. Exhaustion setting in. Key players injured. No back up. Now how has that situation improved and what has been done to make any Blue feel optimistic about the season ahead yet?

Correct me if I?m wrong but I thought pre-season friendlies and tours were about testing out new players within the existing set up and giving the new team a chance to gel. Oh, and possibly boost morale and team spirit at the same time.

So tell me, please, how on earth can they do that with NO new faces (and even fernandes looks to be staying at valencia now) and even our own MANAGER has found reason enough not to sign a new contract?? It's not pessimism. It's realism mate.
Nick Swallow
47   Posted 27/07/2008 at 11:31:25

I think Bill has sold the club if the stadium goes through, which is why DM has not signed yet and we don’t know are budget till we get an answer on the stadium
Nick Armitage
48   Posted 27/07/2008 at 10:42:48

The three main points to consider are

1) it is still pre-seaon
2) the season hasn’t started yet
3) the season hasn’t even started yet

Most of the other clubs are only now starting to transfer players so for fucks sake calm down. The players who have left or are about to leave were all shite or had already had their best days behind them.

David Moyes knows who he needs and where he needs to strengthen so let him get on with the job of doing that. Last season we finished fifth and we are on the up, to improve more we need to ship the shite out and bring new faces in, this happens evey year and the moaning happens every year.

I think the most disturbing news at Goodison is that they have just extended Phil Neville’s contract. I really wish they hadn’t told us this.
Steve Taylor
49   Posted 27/07/2008 at 11:47:37

I find it amusing that this season that the blame for our frustrating lack of transfer activity is put firmly at the feet of the Board.

It?s been the same every year under Moyes - every year we get to this point in pre-season fretting about the lack of signings & in previous seasons the blame for that has largely been laid at the feet of "Dithering Davie" who?s pragmatic approach to the market has caused panic in previous windows.

Strange how this time - that?s barely been mentioned & because it suits to say it?s BK & Bully Beef are solely to blame according to most.

No-one on here has ANY facts to back up an argument that says that this windows transfer funds are linked (either way) to DK. The only fact on the table is the denial by the club that this is the case - automatically branded a lie & BK & Wyness take another beating by the self appointed EFC financial experts on here.

I suppose the bid for Moutinho (substantiated by the player himself) is merely a publicity stunt? & if not, despite saying he wants 5 or 6 - Moyes is happy to spend all of his budget (including the AJ sale proceeds) on one player??? Answers? We don?t have any - because none of us know - if we get to the 31st of August & Moyes contract remains unsigned & the squad is still paper thin - you can get the linch mob ready - as it?ll be confirmed that you were right & the Board didn?t deliver - until then - you?re merely speculating & personally I think you?ll be proved to be wide of the mark.
Gavin Ramejkis
50   Posted 27/07/2008 at 12:05:10

Steve by the time 31 August comes we will have already played 3 games - is this a new line for the apologists - why not have players B E F O R E the season starts??? If you think the Manager signs players you also need to think why they have a Chairman and CEO (even though in many ways we wonder why now). Basics on how a business should be run - the Chairman and Board are responsible for long to medium company strategy and ultimately responsible for funding, the CEO is responsible for the daya to day running of the business and short term strategy under the supervision of the board. If this still translates to the manager buys and sells then lets think again - the Chairman and Board find funds, the CEO does the actual business, so QED why the lack of transfers with so little time B E F O R E the season starts is down to the Chairman and the CEO.
Steve Taylor
51   Posted 27/07/2008 at 12:22:46

Gavin - you?re making the assumption that funds simply aren?t there & that Moyes is waiting for the green light to spend. Again, you nor I have any idea whether this is indeed the case.

We bid £5M for Ramsey weeks ago - why hasn?t he spent that cash since? or was that another publicity stunt?

I?m not an "apologist" for BK - far from it - however, neither am I going to stone him to death on the basis of assumptions regarding our summer transfer business.

Did we not sign the Yak after the season started & would have completed on the deal for Manny as well - if he hadn?t have walked? Moyes has a history of perceived "dithering" on transfer targets - only this window it suits anti BK Blues such as yourself to ignore previous history & reach the conslusion that DM is sat there waiting for the board to deliver the signings that he?s requested.
Alan Codd
52   Posted 27/07/2008 at 14:38:02

I hope at the first game of the season we the fans let Kenwright and co know what we think of them.
Jay Harris
53   Posted 27/07/2008 at 16:29:45

Steve Taylor we?re talking about the people that stated 2 months ago that Moyes contract has been on the table for months and he talks to Bill every day and there?s no problem with him signing his contract.
Now I?ve never heard one lie from Moyes mouth but as far as the board go the lies are numerous and constant.
Bilbo Baggins
54   Posted 27/07/2008 at 16:36:39

Why wait till the first game, lets make them feel uncomfortable at PSV game, and show the country on TV how the true supporters feel.
They have ruined my summer so far.
Gavin Ramejkis
55   Posted 27/07/2008 at 17:00:52

Steve it?s been said many a time on these very pages that the Yakubu deal was a loan guarantored by Phil Green or Mr Planet Hollywood and that right at the very end of the transfer window, the money didn?t come from their pockets they simply inferred they would be good for the debt should it be called in. The poorly run business isn?t generating profits and the now fact that every single club in the Premier League has reinforced must surely ring alarm bells with you.

We don?t know how much money is available but ask yourself this too, where is the saved wages on the now departed 6 players - whether they play or not they still take a wage, ask where the money from the sale of McFadden in the January transfer window has gone if it?s just been sat there since January?

It?s a shoddy state of affairs and a growing number of fans are showing their discontent and will no doubt show that discontent in public at the pre-season games and start of the season which is now just under three weeks away - fingers crossed no one else gets injured between now and then or you should all take your kit to the match.

Richard Dodd
56   Posted 27/07/2008 at 18:28:14

Sky Sports News has just confirmed that Everton HAVE put in that bid of £15M for Joaho Moutinho. Hardly the action of a club that?s skint is it?

Moyes WILL make six signings by the deadline ? probably three for a fee and three on loan. Just have faith and stop worrying!

Colin Halsall
57   Posted 27/07/2008 at 19:15:29

I hear things are not good between Davey and Wyness as the CE has been accused of dragging his feet on transfer negotiations.
If DK gets called in Bully is on his way-for certain!
Tim Lloyd
58   Posted 27/07/2008 at 19:00:26

As I have no direct knowledge of any transfers, I suppose really that that should mean I should not post any comments on this subject.

However, such lack of information doesn?t appear to worry so many posters on this site.

We do now know that the club are actively pursuing Moutinho, that the player has expressed his desire to join us.

Sporting Lisbon, not surprisingly are playing hard to buy from, no doubt hoping to get a really top price for the lad. Meanwhile, many posters add to the clubs problems with moans about no signings.

There seems also some rumour about a reserve goalkeeper, Ochoa, the Mexican International.

I also keep hearing from news reports that we are actively pursuing an interest in Diego Milito.

These three would all be very good captures but wont come cheaply.

With the problems arising out of Kirby, it doesn?t surprise me that the Chairman and CEO don?t just rush out, cheque book in hand and pay exhorbitant sums so you guys can be satisfied the club are doing something. Shades of Leeds United.

Nothing other than a feeling but it wouldn?t surprise me that at least one transfer concludes next week.
Tom Davies
59   Posted 27/07/2008 at 19:42:41

To be honest, if we weren?t so thin in midfield and maybe had one more available striker, I wouldn?t be that worried, I?d rather Moyesey looked into as many players as possible before he decides who to buy.

However, if the case is that no-one has been bought because the club aren?t willing to give Moyesey any money, then that is quite worrying!
Pete Weaver
60   Posted 27/07/2008 at 19:53:49

I?m with Doddy on this one! I think Davey is taking his time but will deliver the goods. He has faith in Kenwright ? so should we!
Steve Taylor
61   Posted 28/07/2008 at 00:54:55

Gavin - so what if the loan to purchase the Yak was guaranteed by a Director? & didn?t BK say at the recent ESCLA meeting that it was his signature on the document?

Irrespective of who?s name was on it - your suggestion that this practice is in some way bad business is ludicrous - Director?s guarantee?s are part of everyday business life & despite the fact that they're not "laying their cash down", they're fully liable should the business go pear. It?s merely business practice.

Show me a current PL Chairman who operates any differently? Even Abramovich only covers Chelsea?s annual £100M+ losses with interest-free loans that HE can call in any time he wants, leaving the business a maximum of 18 months to repay the debt (currently standing at £578M)

Look across the park at the Yanks & the RS - they?ve got £7M each of their own money in that club & they?ve increased the borrowing to over 3x the turnover of the business - the club is now over £400M in debt.

PL clubs aren?t a vehicle for serious investors interested in making a long-term yearly profit out of a business, as even a profitable PL club would currently achieve a shite return on capital employed, if you actually employed your own capital! You can get a 6% return from a Building Society - why the fuck would anyone expect less of a return by investing in a business that comes with risk??? Answer: they wouldn?t ? a business investor would expect a return in excess of 11% per annum; this is realistically unachievable in the current PL market, so most borrow most of the cash that they bought the club with & add it to the debt of the business ? thus reducing their capital employed.

The recent influx of investment into the PL has been as a result of people seeing undervalued businesses based on their experience of other markets (i.e the US) & others who are looking for a vehicle to try & provide them some UK credibility e.g Frank Sinatra) most of the current breed of investors are more interested in their "exit strategy" than the long term viability of the club ? they?ve seen the long-term prospects of higher global TV revenues & much higher ticket prices & seen that the clubs' current values could be increased in the short / medium term, due to increased turnover & thus provide them with a tasty profit upon the future sale.
Jay Harris
62   Posted 28/07/2008 at 01:43:48

Doddy
the bid was actually 15 million Euros = £11.9 million.
He has a release clause in his contract set at a minimum of 25 million Euro?s.

How can you expect to get a £20million plus player for less than £12 million.

I really hope we get him because he?s class and young but I have a feeling we?ll drag it out for so long that a big club will step in and pay the price.
John Cottee
63   Posted 28/07/2008 at 08:17:08

Exactly who have Man Utd signed? Check your facts first.
Richard Dodd
64   Posted 28/07/2008 at 09:46:49

As BB has said in the past you don?t need to pay the asking price to get the player you want. KW is an expert at negotiation and always gets Everton the very best deal. Allied to which we now have Pinni the Superagent on the case so I?ve no doubt the player will be ours soon.
David Gallant
65   Posted 28/07/2008 at 10:11:35

Yet another polarised mailbag thread ... a few questions to the ’non-apologists’ - funny, I thought that term was coined for and exclusive to David Moyes, but I digress ...

1. So what if we are the last club to sign a player during the close season? Assuming your facts were indeed factual and not plucked from the cesspool of negativity that seems to be in constant supply around these parts? (Thanks John Cottee ;) I would much rather be the least trigger-happy w.r.t new signings and avoid the Nugents, Koumases and Richardsons of this world than be out of the blocks with a bang and appease the doom-mongers, only to have same whinging 5 months into the season about the speedily signed.

2. Does David Moyes seem happy I heard someone ask. So now we are speculating on the managers’ happiness? Well he never was the chirpiest to begin with was he? Moyes is the quintessential poker-faced man (in my opinion, naturally) and to try and deduce the state of the club from his appearance would be the ultimate exercise in futility. All he has said on the matter is that they are in talks, and until he says otherwise, that is the state of affairs. He also said that the club needs 5 or 6 new players (note, not ’we will be signing,’ but ’we need.’) Huge difference.

3. Why oh why does this entire thread seem like Groundhog Day? Every year we anticipate the worst, project all sorts of doom and gloom ... and every year David Moyes takes the club forward. This year it will be more of the same. Mark my words.

I’m all for concerns being raised and differences of opinion but FFS, lets try not to get our knickers in a knot over whether or not we’re the last club to sign players (entirely irrelevant imho) and the like. David Moyes has given no indication that he is not in for the long-haul, nor has he at any time critisized the board (when lesser men may have) for their so-called incompetence. All told the club has not been doing too badly considering the bunch who run it couldn’t arrange a piss-up in a brewery if some of you lot are to be believed.

We will get in quality, rest assured. And we will make an even better fist of shaking up the established order next season.

IMWT and ever will (not lemmingdom, but an informed decision vindicated thus far by the astute management of Mr. David Moyes)

PS. AJ leaving will be a blessing in disguise. He is not good enough for where this team is heading, cannot be guaranteed a first team place and would stunt the progress of a certain Mr. James Vaughan (who I think will prove the doubters wrong this season) more and more if he lingered. Believe!
Richard Harris
66   Posted 28/07/2008 at 11:55:48

No doubt someone, somewhere will blame the no voters, the doubters and Toffeeweb ’negativity’ for stalling DK and therefore leaving us with no money for new players :0)
In previous seasons I have worried but after too may years of the same old same old, I’ve become philosophical and know that we will get some good, some bad and some indifferent but they probably won’t be world class players or anyone that the current top teams in Europe are interested in. So let’s just enjoy the sunshine and see who turns up for training after deadline day. Hmmmm, these new pills are working well.......
Marko Poutiainen
67   Posted 28/07/2008 at 11:56:21

Someone said that apart from Carsley, the rest couldn?t have possibly played more than about five games between them. Wrong. Both Gravesen and Stubbs played in 13 matches and Wessels in 7.

It?s also quite optimistic in saying that Vaughan should replace Johnson. Vaughan has had several major injuries already and he is only 20. Of course, this is the level of blind optimism some of the fans show.
Simon Dixon
68   Posted 28/07/2008 at 12:41:41

Here we go again, another summer arrives and again everyone is moaning about a lack of transfer activity at Goodison.Last year i remember rumblings about losing out on Koumas (who did nothing last season) Nugent (who did nothing last season) and Barton (who did time last season). Then what happened? we signed Yakubu for a record transfer fee.We are now after Moutinho for a record transfer fee, and he is indicating he is going to sign 5 other players. Pick your lips up off the ground and have a bit of faith, I'm sick of this negativity.
Andy Pearson
69   Posted 28/07/2008 at 15:04:01

Heaven forbid people are negative. That?s the mindset that says "don?t ever disapprove of what the club are doing... just keep clapping and cheering like morons no matter what". I don?t work like that.

Call me cynical, not negative, if you like but we?ve been down this road before... bid for a player we stand no chance of getting at that particular price (no danger of actually having to pay it out then) - anyone remember the Alan Smith scenario amongst others (and befoer anyone tells me Alan Smith is rubbish, that?s irrelevant) - before we let another popular player leave.

"We tried"... is all we?ll hear from the club of course because they put their bid in whether it was declined or not.

Peter Howard
70   Posted 28/07/2008 at 15:29:18

Steve T:
Spot on mate.
John C:
Again, spot on.
Since when did the transfer window become a race ? It’s about WHO you sign, not WHEN ! !
Mike Green
71   Posted 28/07/2008 at 17:55:23

Calm down.... calm down....

This time next week we?re going to have one of this shining lights in European football ready to play in a Blue shirt. I reckon we?ll settle for £16M for Moutinho - beating our previous transfer record by c.50%. With the sale of AJ (good luck Andy) I believe we?ve got around another £20M to go on a forward, possibly two. Enter Bent and Milito.

As for going to the US.- what are they supposed to do? Sit on their backsides in the UK until a 21-year-old wonderkid puts pen to paper? Sounds like great preparation.....

Thank God you lot aren?t running the club.IMWT
Karl Masters
72   Posted 28/07/2008 at 18:06:41

Peter Howard:

It’s about both. Who you sign and when you sign them.

In 2006 we had AJ, Lescott and Tim Howard in the bag by JUNE 14. They then had all Summer to settle in, find somewhere to live, tune themselves in mentally to the Club and the season ahead.

Moyes and Wyness both publicly stated, ’we like to get our signings in early.’ The season started and we got off to a flyer with 10 points from the first 12 and did not lose till October.

Last Summer at this stage we had only signed Jags got Pienaar on loan and August gave us the protracted Yakubu signing, the Fernandes u-turn after too much pussyfooting around and the Gravesen panic loan. We still made a fair start, but then fell away until late October when we were 11th going into the match at Derby.

I don’t expect Moyes would have chosen this way of doing things - letting players go and leaving signings very late. However, we are where we are and I just hope to see Moutinho, a class forward, a physically dominant midfielder, a wide player in the Joaquin mould and a couple of decent loans a l a Pienaar including a goalie as a minimum. Peferbaly before August 16 wherever possible.
EJ Ruane
73   Posted 28/07/2008 at 18:28:08

Peter.

When did the transfer window become a race?

The second it was introduced.

You say "it’s about who you sign not when"

I suggest that in many cases, WHEN you sign someone, will dictate WHO that someone is.

Early birds, worms and the like.

Sonny Phillips
74   Posted 28/07/2008 at 19:24:03

We came 6th in 06/07

We came 5th in 07/08.

Take your time boys.
David Gallant
75   Posted 29/07/2008 at 08:13:46

Marko Poutiainen, I will assume your bit about Vaughan ’replacing’ AJ was directed at my post ...

At no point did I suggest that Vaughan is going to play an entire season without injury disruption (although I’d love the lad to prove me wrong). All I suggested is that AJ’s departure will give him more of an opportunity rather than having him being 3rd in the pecking order. In any event I believe that like Darren Bent, Vaughan is an upgrade of sorts on AJ in that he has the electric pace, better finishing and superior strength. I appreciate that AJ was a great servant to the club, and no doubt a top bloke, but this Everton team have ’outgrown’ him IMHO. He was never the same player after the ’diving’ comments which for me hinted at mental weakness. I wish him all the best in his future plans and hope he flourishes at a new team but in saying that I still believe his departure will be a blessing in disguise w.r.t James Vaughan’s development.

Roll on the new season ...

Mark Hodgson
76   Posted 29/07/2008 at 08:38:35

I honestly feel if we don´t get the go-ahead with Kirkby. DM will just let his contract run out, becuase all his transfer cash he´ll have available is locked to speculation on revenue recieved from the new stadium.
This is the reason we haven´t signed anyone.
I am dreading the planning permission being pulled in for review.
I hope I´m wrong
Paul Tran
77   Posted 29/07/2008 at 09:22:05

Instead of indulging in the annual festival of hyperbole over who we have/haven’t/haven’t yet bought, which is all based on second/third hand speculation, why don’t we just sit back and wait for the end of the transfer window and take a view then?

Moyes is on record as saying we were ’short’ of players in January, so after rightly letting more go since then, I’d like to think he’s going to replace them.

I’ll wait until the deadline and base my arguments on what he actually does.
Chris Fisher
78   Posted 29/07/2008 at 09:34:04

Darren Bent is an upgrade on AJ?! Fucking hell!! absloutley clueless!!!
pietro de seta
79   Posted 29/07/2008 at 11:31:47

...every year is the same old sad story...nobody comes...to face a very difficult and long season, to improve last year’s achievement (but ehat did we achieve..?!) we sholud have signed at least 5-6 players. Instead we have been following just one player after we had to sell one of our best. I think that the board has been thinking only about the new stadium rather than improving our team, so we risk to have the same season as the champions league spot...
I’m worried...very worried...
patty
80   Posted 29/07/2008 at 11:49:14

I wish you lot had the blind faith and optimism of that lot across the park - it might go a long way if you did. According to e-mails read out on Sky Sports last night, most Shite Supporters think they are now going to win the Premiership or at worst come second now they have signed Robbie Keane!! How’s that for optimism or should I say shite stupidity.
In fact I have just shouted across the road at some look wearing his brand new Liverpool shirt with Babel written across the back "Oy, get a decent shirt on, not that crap"... all he could do was laugh. Intelligent bunch they are - could not even get a decent retort out of him!!!

I know we are all feeling despite and cheesy and frustrated, but lets have faith - its about all we’ve got at the moment.
patty
81   Posted 29/07/2008 at 12:16:00

Sorry two errors in my letter above - anxiety to get it typed and off my office workscreen before the Boss saw it, caused that. Should have read "shouted across the road at some "loon" wearing his brand new etc, etc. and my last para sould read, "I know we are all feeling desperate and cheesy etc. etc"
Kin Meng
82   Posted 29/07/2008 at 14:10:18

Evertonians seldom have a smooth ride during pre-season.. The squad that Karl put up is scary but that is the fact that is dawning upon us plus the points that Fitzgerald mentioned, this pre-season just about rank among the worst times I have experienced.

What are the chances that a team can sign 5 or 6 quality players in a transfer window? Even lets say we get our Moutino, Militio or even Mehmet, we are still desperately SHORT of bodies... COYB
Nick Thomas
83   Posted 29/07/2008 at 17:09:57

the 1 also represents at this rate the number of strikers, we have available at this rate, to start the new season.
assuming Johnson signs for fulham, and definately working on the premise that Cahill is not a striker, he s an attacking midfield player.
mcfadden gone, Johnson Gone, vaughan injured, and Anichebe at the olympics.
sky must be on bully’s side, as they have down the fact that we hae signed pienaar this window!!.
so my guess is a 4-5-1 next season, and then a 4-5-0 , if yak gets injured.
i am still convinced this is Moyes last season, he hasnt signed the last year of his contract, i sense davey boy, is that fed up, with the lack of investment, that he is gonna jump ship -it gets better, a 5-5-0 with no manager
Shaun Goater