FAN ARTICLES

So... What will he say?

By Paul Niklas :  31/07/2008 :  Comments (29) :
Mr Wyness has informed everyone he will make a statement in the next few days, we know it won't mention DK as he has publicaly stated it has nothing to do with that. We have also heard from Davidson that he has not offered Wyness a job. So the big question is what will he say.

There are a few things to consider here first before I suggest to you what I think he will say.

Everton and Ian Ross have said nothing which leads me to believe they are coluding with Wyness on an agreed statement or waiting for his statement first. I would suggest more than likely the statement will be a colusion and instrumental in Wyness receiving his pay off.

Effectively a compromise agreement which means he will not divulge any information about the club and its activities nor make any comment about them.

The sad thing about all of this is why Bill has said nothing; again this will be down to the completing of the compromise agreement that Everton's lawyers Halliwells will be working on as we speak.

So to my suggestion, which now turns into... What he would have said if he had not signed the compromise agreement. In my opinion, Wyness has made lots of mistakes compounded by his inability to communicate effectively to supporters and interested parties. However he is not a stupid man and we may in this instance be doing him a diservice, Why? you may ask.

I believe DK is not the issue; I believe money is clearly the issue and I also believe that Wyness on Moyes behalf and his duty as CEO would have been pushing for the funds for players over the last few months to no avail, to the point that he was getting nervous about it coming at all and more so getting pressure from David to deliver. In attempting to deliver by pushing Bill, Earl, Green etc he has upset them all as they cannot get the funds nor in the case of say Green does not want to securitise any more funds.

With Moyes very unhappy (and you can see it in his body laguage and general demeanor), the pressure and relationship between Wyness and him would have deteriated to the point that Wyness is stuck in the middle of it all with no support from any one, which is an untenable position... forcing him to resign. I know this is conjecture but it is typical of business at this level and understandable from the Wyness position.

I am not defending him here so do not start getting all emotional and critical. This is just one opinion of why I believe Wyness resigned. Sometimes when somebody is hated as much as he seems to be on this site, you can blame him for everything, maybe we have to give him the benefit of the doubt in the absence of something that you will never ever know.

Kirkby aside... ? that is something for which he has to take at least 50% of the blame.

Reader Comments

Martin Cutler
1   Posted 01/08/2008 at 04:52:44

Paul, you?re entitled to your opinion just like anybody else on this site. Or any site for that matter.
And I wouldn?t know where to begin as far as knowing if you?re correct or not about your "conjecture", but that?s just it.... conjecture.

Personally..... I?m seriously thinking of powering off my pc until the first Saturday of the new season....... I?m so pissed off with what?s going it?s untrue.
Rumours, rumours, rumours and now conjecture. Not for the first time and not for the last time.
It?s driving me mental.... does anybody have good news?
Does anybody have FACTUAL news?

As pre-seasons go this is awful...even if Moyes got in the 5 to 6 players he keeps referring to (looking more and more doubtful as each day goes by) but even if he did...... at this rate they won?t even know each others first names letalone who to fucking well pass the ball to in the first game!

It is truly shocking that a club like EFC after a fantastic season like last season (yes, it petered out towards the end..... we all know that) but to be in this position is just insane.

So Paul..... please carry on with your conjecture, and no doubt I will continue to read entries like yours..... but I don?t mind admitting I?m one very unhappy EFC supported right now.

I?m sure I?m not the only one either....... but that?s just conjecture on my part!

:-)

COYB!!!!!! (Please!!!)
Mark Cassin
2   Posted 01/08/2008 at 07:01:46

It should be remembered that as the CEO Wyness was responsible for ’finding the money’. This is of course what should be in his job description--I don’t see anything that he has done effectively in his tenure.
Tommy Shaw
3   Posted 01/08/2008 at 07:38:43

"?finding the money?. This is of course what should be in his job description--I don?t see anything that he has done effectively in his tenure."

Apart from allowing Moyes to break the clubs transfer record 3 times in 3 years?
Mark Cassin
4   Posted 01/08/2008 at 07:47:03

Tommy--agree 100%. Though it wasnt money he brought in--rather Kenwrights friends who invested.
Paul Johnson
5   Posted 01/08/2008 at 07:46:29

Paul Your basing your whole theory on the fact that he resigned.

He didn’t, he was sacked.Whether the reason why will all come out in the wash remains to be seen.But he did not resign.
Maertin Hughes
6   Posted 01/08/2008 at 07:46:27

Paul

you are so right, I noticed DM’s body language on Sky Sports News last night, he seems that he has had enough and is ready to throw the towel.

I also agree that there is no good news at the moment associatied to EFC.

AJ wanted to go? I think it’s payback time. Thats it all the progress will now go down the tube.

Moyes wont sign his contract, as soo as he lands back in the UK - I bet he goes!

I hope not --- but who can blame him

COYB

Paul OHanlon
7   Posted 01/08/2008 at 08:50:51

I actually believe the opposite about Wyness, Paul.

I believe if anyone at the club was trying to keep a tightness to the purse strings it would be Wyness. I think it’s more realistic to believe (like Trevor Birch beforehand) that a finance guy like Wyness would be telling Bill what needs to be done to run a tight ship, whereas it’d be Kenwright sanctioning the loans to buy new players, not thinking about a long term strategy.

Either way, we’re both guessing and no matter what Wyness’s statement reveals I’m sure we’ll never know the whole truth!
Trevor Lynes
8   Posted 01/08/2008 at 09:03:55

It would be too good to ask that the club put their cards on the table and be honest with the fans..its torture reading every snippet of gossip and conjecture each day, meanwhile seeing other clubs signing or chasing big names from everywhere and in very short lengths of time compared to all our drawn out affairs. Im more and more depressed by it all and like a previous reader thinking seriously of not checking the website until the first game of the season....Im sure that if DM gets an offer elsewhere he will be very tempted. What decent player in his right mind will come to play for a club with absolutely no ambition..now it looks like Vaughn will be suspended to add to the injury list and sparseness of our squad. Maybe Lescott will be shoved up front or Baines be transformed into a winger ?????
Iain Latchford
9   Posted 01/08/2008 at 09:11:12

What he says will depend on how much the club pays him NOT to say.

That’s what the delay is at the moment. Wyness has told the club that if he does not get what he wants, with regards to a pay off, he will spill the beans about the whole thing.

The club will end up paying him to keep quiet I would imagine.
Ray Roche
10   Posted 01/08/2008 at 09:06:16

Maertin Hughes

"I also hear that Philip Green has closed the chequebook and also is calling in on his loans"
I’ve heard that as well; but only on this site by people who know no more than I.Which I imagine is the usual guess work. When will somebody come on hear with factual information as opposed to theories, assumptions and downright lies. This crap is really pissing me off.
Paul Niklas
11   Posted 01/08/2008 at 09:02:22

Paul, you may be right, however it would be more likely that the CEO responsible for the success of the club would be pushing for finance from the owners,.

It astounds me at times that people believe reports that somebody is worth say two hundred million or in the case of Green considerably more, in the main whatever anyone is reported to be worth at that level a maximum of say 20% of that worth would be cash. The rest assets that would have to borrowed against, now Kenwright, Earl, might have the odd property around to secure money against, or for example Greens personel gaurantee would be accepted based on his wealth statements but he cant raise money secured against his business interests as these are major PLCs.

So available cash is very difficult to come up with .

Wyness had a very difficult role and so does Bill, you just have to hope that they have someone else who can come up with cash quickly that can be gauranteed a payback with interest in the short term.

On the interest front when you are starting to get desperate you will be looking at figures around 15% which the club also need to ensure they can afford to pay it back.

but your right we will never know, but its no harm in guessing nor maybe if their reading any of this giving them some support or even the odd idea or two.

Kevin Gillen
12   Posted 01/08/2008 at 10:36:50

I’m with Martin Cutler on this. i’m going to switch my computer off until the first day of the season and concentrate my efforts on coaching my 11 year old’s team. I’m sick to the teeth of defending the club and its masters. As soon as you back them you are accused by fellow Evertonians of being pro DK or anti DK or pro Moyes or anti-Moyes or pro Kenwright or anti-Kenwright or pro Wyness or anti -Wyness.
It’s a bloody shambles to tell you the truth. The director of communications has to go for a start even if it is just shooting the messenger. I cannot for the life of me understand why a club like ours, 5th in the Premiership with an excellent core squad all secured on long term contracts cannot secure the investment needed to compete in the transfer market. I really don’t like the uncertainty that abounds at the moment. I understand about commercial sensitivity and about discretion in the clubs enquiries but the current levels of speculation, the resignation or sacking of the CEO, it’s unbearable. I’m going back to my happy life!
Syd Morton
13   Posted 01/08/2008 at 11:17:34

Kevin Gillen - just before you log off until the opening day - are there any talented 11 year olds in your team? Are they available in a fortnight? Will they cost less than 50p and a bag of sweets? If so I know a market stall in Goodison Road that will do you a good deal. You may have to haggle a bit.

Top 5 Premier League club? What is going on?
Tony Williams
14   Posted 01/08/2008 at 11:43:37

I am usually a very optimistic person but now I am starting to worry about the complete lack of signings and even the rumours of signings are drying up and we all know we are usually linked with everyman and his dog.

Now where is that shutdown icon?
Kevin Gillen
15   Posted 01/08/2008 at 11:42:05

Syd, my son is a good central defender, really quick and brave and we have left and right sided midfielders that can really control and pass the ball. When I think about it grass roots football really is far more interesting and a lot cheaper than supporting Everton. I also see a lot more genuine endeavour from the kids than from some of the so-called professionals I see although I will say Moyes doesn’t tolerate a lack of endeavour in his teams.
Dick Fearon
16   Posted 01/08/2008 at 12:15:38

O my god! Now we have a Wyness clone!
Shaun Kinnair
17   Posted 01/08/2008 at 12:37:55

Hi Guys, roughly translated, today's news in his country suggests Everton have quit chasing Moutinho: http://www.ojogo.pt/24-162/artigo737606.asp

Things are going from bad to worse....

Shaun Kinnair
18   Posted 01/08/2008 at 12:47:41

I?ve had more translation and it just quoting that Moyes says after loosing 2 - 0 the other day that Moutinho is not his top priority at the moment....

It goes on to say that Everton are waiting on the Sale of AJ.... I hope the player isn?t reading the papers...

I wish all this would end Happy!!! Please!!!
Terry Smith
19   Posted 01/08/2008 at 12:38:21

I have just spoke to a freind of mine through business who is a season ticket holder in one of the Corporate boxes at Everton.I had asked him does he know what is going on at the club.He basicaly come out and said there is defo 5 players 90% on there way in and that guy who has stepped into Wyness shoes is in Portugal now finishing up the Moutinho deal and then trying to finalise the Milito deal.I asked about if he new why he has resigned and he said basicaly that it kicked off big time with Moyes & Kenwright about MONEY.ie he had to sell to buy better.which is something Moyes did not want to do.Johnson did ask to go but Wyness was trying to get rid of Baines to Newcastle .But i did get assured by the guy in his mid 40s who i wouldnt say he was that type of person to bullshit etc etc that there is money and players coming in.
Tony Williams
20   Posted 01/08/2008 at 13:11:04

I have just talked to my cat, granted it was a bit of a one sided conversation but I could tell by the knowing look in its eyes and the way it wagged its tail that you friend is probably full of shite.
Syd Morton
21   Posted 01/08/2008 at 13:39:55

Tony Williams - your last post concerned the sage attitude of your cat. The post before that mentioned everyman and his dog. Are you going for the full zoological sweep?

I know it’s got nothing to do with football but then again the market stall in Goodison Road doesn’t seem to have much to do with it either.

I’m off to Chester Zoo - I believe they’ve got a donkey on a free.
Syd Morton
22   Posted 01/08/2008 at 13:56:28

Actually it’s a psychic donkey and he’s spilling the beans on the future of EFC. Gordon Brown to take over from Wyness. And that’s no bull.

I am also trying to hit the off button and get back to work - but it just won’t happen.
Richard Harris
23   Posted 01/08/2008 at 14:12:32

Syd Morton wrote " Actually it?s a psychic donkey and he?s spilling the beans on the future of EFC. Gordon Brown to take over from Wyness. And that?s no bul".

I have the only psychic donkey so this is all idle gossip !! My donkey will make an announcement in the next 48 hours :0)
Nathan Stroud
24   Posted 01/08/2008 at 14:10:18

Tony Williams thanks very much, just sprayed coffee all over my desk with laughter!!!
Paul Niklas
25   Posted 01/08/2008 at 14:42:22

What guy you referring to that has stepped into Wyness’s shoes, if its who I think your referring to then unfortunatley you are totally wrong.
Neil Walks
26   Posted 01/08/2008 at 14:54:40

Paul Niklas, No, not that guy, the other guy, I think he is most probably maybe 50% right.Fortunately.I think.
Chad Schofield
27   Posted 01/08/2008 at 15:02:59

Paul Niklas,

Looking into my crystal ball I see that it?s actually not the one you're thinking of it, the other one that you haven?t thought of yet. Sorry to point out that you?re totally wrong.
Sean McKenna
28   Posted 01/08/2008 at 19:18:37

To reply to the comment on players comming in!! Well if this mate of yours is right why the hell is Moyes so downbeat???

Surely David Moyes would be the first person to know when his signings are comming in, after all he has the final say on new arrivals??? if the players were close to signing Moyes would of came out with statement like this.....

"Yes, we've had a slow start to the summer's transfers but we are close to signing some targets!!!"

Instead he said: "We need players, fresh blood at the club and that there are no imminent arrivals!!" Doesn't sound good does it. I've also read a statement on the offical Everton website and Bully Bill has came out and said that the club (expects) to have new signing, NOT that club will HAVE new signing, not promising eh. But I think I can cheer my fellow Evertonians up, just remember a few years back when clubs like Tottenham, Newcastle... etc were buying all these so called superstars we was selling one of the best prospects this country has seen in years, YES Mr Rooney, remember the doom and gloom of that season?? And we went on that year to finish in the TOP 4!! So cheer up lads ? there's always that little bit of hope... COYB

Richard Smith
29   Posted 01/08/2008 at 20:47:16

Its a stressful pre-season for us; we would all be happier if we had signed a few players in early July.

However, Moyes has a year on his contract; I think at the least (as he has said many times) he will see that out. Whether he signs a new contract does depend on what finance we have in place; and also what other vacancies are around in other clubs (Keegan to go?)

I think we will make some signings by start of the season and certainly by end of the window but it will be a jittery period.

On the suggestions that Green, Earl et al have withdrawn funding - as the club is a plc would this not have shown up in the annual accounts if there were loans in place? Not being an accountant I am not sure but I would have thought loans from directors would have to be declared.

I would suspect we have some cash but not as much as we would like - so maybe we will be doing loans and low value deals.

But bear in mind when we brought in two championship players for around £2m together we finished fourth. We have a good first team still.

Crosses fingers.