FAN ARTICLES

Time for Major Overhaul

By Mike Oates :  05/08/2008 :  Comments (13) :

I have been following Everton since my dad took me to watch them play Burnley at Goodison back in the early 60?s, Alex Young et al. During the last 40 years I?ve seen the many furores ? Alan Ball being sold, Harry Catterick getting the push, the leaving of Kendall three times, the Johnson sagas, particularly the night he sold Duncan, etc, etc ? but I don?t think any of these match the full public display of our ineptitude shown this summer.

Cast your mind back to mid-May and the day we cemented 5th place with the fine win over Newcastle. We were to go on and push out the boat to ensure we could realistically target the Top 4 in the 2008-09 season. We had earned the right to believe that quality players would swarm (!) to us in the close season. It seemed that we would find the necessary funding to allow this to happen. Bill and Davey were going to make this happen... and then they went on a long holiday.

What has gone wrong? Well, where do we start?

What we?ve demonstrated to the full public gaze ? investors, media, players and supporters alike ? is that the club is hopelessly mismanaged right from the top Board, right through to the day-to-day administration and unfortunately even Moyes has made some real gaffes this summer.

Board ? Who?s on it? Who?s responsible? Lack of attainable strategy/vision, lack of financial acumen , lack of clarity. Who?s doing what? And serious lack of leadership from Kenwright. The Wyness saga, the Kirkby saga.
Operational Management ? poor marketing , poor financial management, poor administration, very poor communications, poor product-development skills.
Team management ? Moyes's delay in bringing in a No 2 early enough to share the load. Moyes took his eye of the ball in the protracted period mid-May to early July (holidays and European Championships) to get players in to be ready for mid-August, fully team bonded and fully aware of the way we play and their roles. Moyes?s lack of foresight of the effect of the staggered return of players from competitions and injuries would have on the pre-season tours and games ? Lescott, Neville, Jags will have played 90 mins in every friendly; so much for controlled fitness.

The pre-season issues/internal arguments have been played out in every national, local paper, Sports TV station and will have been undoubtedly spotted by all of these so-called quality players. We have displayed all our dirty washing to the outside world and have demonstrated that we do not have the infrastructure to compete at the highest level. Who will want to join us ?

I?ve said many times before in recent mailbag/articles that I sincerely hope that Moyes (the only competent one we have) does manage to wave his magic wand and at least get the results at the team level. But what he will have learnt, as the rest of the world now knows, is that the club needs a complete overhaul in its management/board team.

I do not want to go through this again ever, and I?m sure he won't either. If this serious issue of a quality board, quality management isn?t cleared up by January then I fear we may lose our most valuable asset ? David Moyes.

Reader Comments

Trevor Lynes
1   Posted 06/08/2008 at 05:13:49

Like yourself, I'm a very long-term supporter of EFC. I can even go back to 1948 when we were really poor. I wholeheartedly agree with your words and have written many mails re-iterating your fears over the past seasons not just few months.

We regularly dump our youngsters then inexplicably ?BUY? them back when they have been developed elsewhere. This season, preparations have been a shambles. DM in the states and now off to Holland while ?Rome? burns.

I sincerely hope that the words I have just read from BK on the official website are true and that DM has players to bring in but time is pressing and we are already a tiny squad which is being depleted by the day almost. Injury?s and Nigerian International calls are another big worry ? surely these situations should have been already addressed and taken into account.

Like you, I despair at the total lack of management from top to bottom and it's no wonder Rooney left ? we cannot attract players or credible investment. I believe there are investors probably hovering like vultures waiting for the best time to pick the bones of a once very proud club. Let's hope we are both completely wrong and that BK and DM are the best poker players around...

Dave Wilson
2   Posted 06/08/2008 at 05:01:39

Mike

Of course your right.

I can remember when Blue Bill arrived on his white charger to save us from PJ, the fans loved him, He was full of good intentions and we started to come out of the darkest period in our history. The fans love for Bill didnt last. Rightly or wrongly many held him accountable for the Rooney saga, Rooney would have left anyway ? we all know that ? but some still haveN?t forgiven BK
I believe over that period of time BK?s love for EFC has dwindled, he?s an actor, he wants to be loved

I have a mate who was pally with Robbie Fowler's arl fella, apparently he was a fanatical Evertonian, but after years of savage abuse aimed at his son he is completely sickened. It seems he found it more painful because it came from "his own".

I saw Kenwright at "The Bridge", I swear if it was Fowler himself he would not have taken more abuse from the handful of Evertonians around. Either the man is a deaf, or he has skin like a rhino and pretended not to hear it. Either way, it proved to me, that every misguided pat on the back he received, was matched by an equally misguided tirade of abuse. I believe he too has found it very painful that "his own" have turned on him.

Kenwright knows that half the fanbase will be falling over themselves to pat him on the back if DK gets the green light, he also knows that he will be forever villified by the other half. He will have learned long ago that is love for the club is no substitute for good hard business sense... So why does he cling on? Has he too fallen out of love with the club and wants the best return possible for his investment ?

Jack Walker had brief success at Blackburn, but throughout history, the game has been littered with well-meaning "fans" who have taken their club to the brink of disaster, or have lost their personal fortune. People like BK and that fat fucker at Newcastle will have noted this. Expect both of them to vanish into the sunset with their saddle bags full

I?m still not sure whether I blame them or not, but I know one thing; I hope whoever takes over is a shrewd business man, who is desperate for success, not another well-meaning Evertonian.

Ron Hill
3   Posted 06/08/2008 at 10:05:19

Maybe Kenwright wouldn’t get nearly as much stick if he didn’t treat the fanbase as idiots!
Richard Harris
4   Posted 06/08/2008 at 11:16:33

Simon Pieman wrote : Well, I saw Dixie bang in his 60th goal, so I outrank all of you "long-termers".

So what’s the secret for you still being articulate and not a moaning old git :0) It surely can’t be the constant ups and downs of the club since then that has kept you young !! How about some stories from the good old days to show that Bill is not the only person who remembers the boys pen....
Jay Harris
5   Posted 06/08/2008 at 13:38:21

Which started first the lying or the abuse.

Oh I remeber there would be no abuse without the lying.
Richard Harris
6   Posted 06/08/2008 at 13:50:24

Simon - that’s some fond memories of our Bill !! Also it’s good to know that he has been consistant with his "watch this space" pronouncements :0)
Dave Wilson
7   Posted 06/08/2008 at 13:51:12

Jay

agreed
David Booth
8   Posted 06/08/2008 at 14:50:42

What?s wrong with you all?

If you?ve studied the transfer form of David Moyes and Bill Kenwright since they teamed up together, you would notice a familiar pattern: it?s always very last-minute. Frustrating, sure, but come on, they don?t do a bad job do they?

I cannot believe how many Evertonians are already critical of what?s (not) happening. Pinch me, but we did finish fifth last season and have a team that for the first time in a long time, has some real potential.

Howard, Lescott, Jagielka, Arteta, Cahill, Yakubu, Pienaar, Johnson and even Neville have been fabulous signings. How many clubs would take them now if they could?

So go steady. The transfer market as a whole has not begun to domino yet. If you don?t think Moyes will get it right, his track record proves you wrong.

Emre, Parker, Barton, Savage, Sissoko, Smith (heaven forbid we buy him now), Koumas, Nugent, Healy etc, etc, etc, anyone?

Thought not - and so did Moyes.

Stop moaning, progress will be maintained I am sure.
Stephen Graham
9   Posted 06/08/2008 at 15:36:41

He started early, did Blue Bill. At my high school (Lpool Institute) he played Shylock in the Merchant of Venice.

He’s still true to character!
David Booth
10   Posted 06/08/2008 at 20:37:32

A point well made John.

The lynch mob need to get an urgent sense of perspective.
Chris Cook
11   Posted 06/08/2008 at 20:27:43

Theres a line the in the new Batman movie
"You Either Die A Hero, Or Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain.?

Kind of fits what happened with Bill, but let's be honest how many clubs would have kept Moyes the year we finished 17th?

@David Booth: Per Krøldrup, Simon Davies, Beattie..... that's £15mill wasted on crap.
David Booth
12   Posted 06/08/2008 at 21:00:21

Chris: where are they now? They are certainly not Everton players any more.

Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and god bless that arrogant pillock, Benitez, spend outrageous amounts more than we do and make consistently dreadful decisions.

Surely you cannot be suggesting that Moyes doesn’t win a lot more than he occasionally loses?

And well done Kenwright for keeping Moyes. Would sacking him have enabled us to do better than we subsequently have? No, of course not.

Such logic would have seen United ditch Ferguson all those years ago. They didn’t and look how it paid off.

It just baffles me that people can be so critical, when we currently have so much potential.

This is Everton, not Newcastle United or some other ten-bob millionaires. We have a soul, a way of doing things, and principles - and to me, they all seem to be paying off right now.

What do you people want?
Chris Cook
13   Posted 06/08/2008 at 21:58:41

Sorry if I didn?t make myself clear before i was just pointing out that Moyes doesn?t have a perfect record in the transfer market, which is maybe why he is taking his time as he knows he can?t afford another kroldrup, Moyes has won the £ per point league 3 time in 4 seasons (if only that on counted!)
He is the best man for the job and I am great full we never sacked him. Hopefully sticking with Moyes can pay off as well as it has for Manure sticking with the old git

One question for you all, do you think it?s worth the risk spending upwards of 18mill Euros on a player that has so much potential but is unproven the Perm, would Fernandes @ 8 - 10 mill be a safer but slightly over inflated buy?