FAN ARTICLES

DK call in: What now?

By Mike Cheshire :  06/08/2008 :  Comments (11) :
I have just seen through Sky Sports and the official site that the Kirkby project had been called in. Despite all protestations to the contrary made by the club, I have to say I can hear the death nell chiming for this scheme.

I must confess (very guiltily!) that I was originally in favour of the proposed move and was taken in by all the shiny images and the glossy brochure. I am now dead set against the move after the web of lies and deciet have been cleared away.

However, my view on the relocation is somewhat irrelevant and not what my post is about. The real point is what now for EFC?

I have seen great posts on this site from Tom Hughes about the possible redevelopment of GP and have loved what I've read, but how realistic is it that we would be able to do it? How much would expanding the footprint of GP cost and would LBC help us to do it anyway? Would Sainsbury's possibly resurrect the proposal for Walton Hall Park that was suammarily dismissed and swept under the rug? Could the Loop site become a serious contender? What're everyone's thoughts on these? Would there be a preference?

A lot of questions I know but, to tell the truth, I'm cacking myself! The start of the season is only 10 days away now and, despite what Sky Sports says, we have signed no one and have lost a fair few from an already paltry squad. BK has said all along that transfer funds were not linked to the DK decision so now we shall see if this is another "untruth".

So: What now? What do you all think the club should and, more importantly, realistically could do about the stadium? Do we actually think anyone will come in and wil DM sign his flamin' contract anytime soon?

I am (believe it or not!) an optimistic person (as a blue, you have to be don't you?) but I'm as low going into the start of this season as I was in the heady days of Walter Smith!

NSNO? Really? COYB

Reader Comments

Chris Cook
1   Posted 06/08/2008 at 22:15:12

PARTY!?!?!

To be honest I have not wanted to move since I read Tesco?s description of the stadium as I didn?t see the point in moving from a rundown stadium to a shed in the middle of nowhere! But let?s be honest LCC say they want us to stay but offer us fuck all and bend over backwards for the shite, we might as well stay at Goodison for a few years and hope Moyes can work miracles again (or my voodoo on the Liverpool squad works :-)
Rob Hollis
2   Posted 06/08/2008 at 22:10:48

Oh well. It is good news for some. I voted yes, then had doubts then became a very firm yes when I heard to arguments from people who basically can’t be bothered to go to a different pub, change their bus route but still expect somebody to come up with a few zillion to ensure we can compete with the top four. We don’t want any changes, just lots of somebody else’s money.

Anyway, if we do manage to sign some players then I believe we can still be in or around the top six. Trouble is I now would not like to bet on what will be completed first, a signing or the public enquiry.

Worse still a bloke i work with asked me if he could go early to the UNITED game as they were displaying the trophies. He did say I must remember what that was like.

I will not repeat my reply.

Not a good day.

colin malone
3   Posted 06/08/2008 at 22:42:10

The health and safety executive[HSE] would just look and see one route in, one route out[Kirkby train station] for both set of supporters, that alone is a major no no. Away supporters walk from Lime street to the ground, if it was Kirkby, home and away supporters would be using the same train route, recipe for disaster.
James Tunstead
4   Posted 06/08/2008 at 23:06:20

We might now actually be able to talk to other potential investors and LCC. Lets see the cards of those that were whining that EFC were bound to the exclusivity agreement, come out and show what they you to offer.
Nobody could think up a dafter plan than moving out of the city into a tinpot breeze block stadium that would still end up costing us close on £100 million of borrowed money, that would alienate the so many fans, that wouldnt be able to host any other type of event over 7500 spectators and that would be so difficult to get to and from.
Eric Myles
5   Posted 07/08/2008 at 02:13:17

’then had doubts then became a very firm yes when I heard to arguments from people who basically can¡¯t be bothered to go to a different pub, change their bus route’

So Rob Hollis you’re basing you opinion on spite rather than what’s best for the club.
our no bette than those people you deride.
john charles
6   Posted 07/08/2008 at 02:28:27

good posting Mike Cheshire.

I dont know?

Lets look at the Options:

Redevelop GP: Tom HUghes is a bright guy no doubt. But he is an achietect not a financier. So who pays for Toms unrealistic/brilliant (no offense tom, its either one of those) plans? Who pays??

People dont understand the strength of kirkby was the enabling retail developement to pay for the whole project. 78m souds a lot - but is it? Uf you had 78m in your back pocket could you call up HOK are get them to build a 50,000 seat stadium of any mid quality? I dont think you could. Plus we have no land even if you could.

The Loop - im sorry, its pathetically small. There were lies going around that it weas the same size pln as the emirates but its actually much smaller as a whole site - if I recall maybe 10 acres smaller (?)

I dont know... the most important thing is finance.. I dont see how Sainsburys can build 500,000 sq.ft of retail on wally hall park that pays for a whole stadium development of this size? There is a difference between a little sainsburys and a 500,000 sq.ft tesco shopping center and the money that generates on a daily basis.

a dark day. file it with the kinds dock. in 5 years time we’ll look back and say the same as we do about kings dock know (-if only)
Jay Campbell
7   Posted 07/08/2008 at 06:36:19

Justice.
Adam Cunliffe
8   Posted 07/08/2008 at 07:51:57

I’m with Jay on this one, Justice indeed!
Colin Grierson
9   Posted 07/08/2008 at 08:25:54

A great day for the club!!!

It may not seem like it for some right now, but for me this is worth not having bought anyone all summer.

It aint my job to say where we go next etc and thank God its not Wyness’s anymore. Hopefully somebody trustworthy will come to our aid.

These are bad times for the blues but this is a major silver lining!
Paul Johnson
10   Posted 07/08/2008 at 12:13:32

Call me old fashioned but DK was never good enough for a club of Everton’s stature. It might seem like a disaster now ( to some ) but in years to come we will all look back at this whole sorry episode and be grateful that it was called in. The important thing now is to continue the good work on the pitch and put pressure on LCC to come up with viable alternatives within the city boundaries. BK should look to get out asap and let somebody else do what he has failed to do.
Peter Howard
11   Posted 07/08/2008 at 13:41:10

Colin:
It also wasn’t your job to say where we went last time. Hope you’re up for a ground share ’cos that’s what’s next up if LCC have any say. They do have a say don’t they ?