FAN ARTICLES

Decisive Moyes Needs a Shirt Seller

By Neil Alecock :  11/08/2008 :  Comments (18) :
Moyes is not a ditherer nor has he been neglecting his duty as suggested by some. He is as decisive as he could possibly be with such an indecisive board behind him. His transfer strategy has been thrown into disarray in my view, due to uncertainty around Andrew Johnson and how much his transfer budget is.

I imagine, from reports and looking at what he brought in from the sale of McFadden in January, that he had been allocated around £20 million to spend. Although BK said he had money at the beginning of the summer, I think there was doubt about where the money would come from initially. If Everton had secured the stadium at the date they were supposed to I think the club would have released funds then. As the decision was put back, I think they had to source the funding from 'bridging loans' rather than have it from the board.

By the time the money was allocated Moyes got wind that all was not right with AJ. Moyes's transfer strategy therefore would depend on how much AJ would bring in and how much he would then commit to either a midfielder such as Moutinho, or replace AJ with a similarly priced striker. The bids therefore for Moutinho would have to reflect the balance left over once he has replaced AJ and Carsley which are the priorities. If he can loan a striker for the year this would leave more funds for increased bids for Moutinho.

He got a good price for AJ, enough to bid for Moutinho and have around £12 - £15m for other players. It now transpires that he may replace AJ with loan signing Love - £2.5m, spend £6m on M'Bia to replace Carsley, pad out the squad with Smith for £2m and have some money left for a cover defender and goalkeeper. Perhaps also he is waiting to see how much he has over before making a further move for Fernandes.

If he had £30 m at the outset he would have been in a better position to decide his actual strategy. Chelsea, Man City and Spurs didn't have this problem and bought early. They have also sold early. He clearly has players in mind, but the ever shifting sands that are the Everton Board don?t provide the solid foundation for him to go into the market early and also don?t allow him to make any mistakes whatsoever. That?s why we see so many loan-before-buy moves at Everton ? a good strategy given the limited resources at the club.

My own view about the Everton hierarchy though is that we need to sign ?shirt sellers?. Those players that up the turnover at any club. On the back of a great season last time out we should have allocated Moyes enough money to attract the media, the youngsters and ticket and shirt buyers. We all know that our club is safe in Moyes hands so the guy should be backed to make the right buys with good money and generate enough excitement to fill the stadium when the likes of PSV visit for a friendly. We should also think big pre-season and join or arrange a tournament to raise our profile and be seen on TV more.

Let?s hope Moyes can now resurrect his transfer strategy, get the players he needs in, and push on to progress us further up that table. I for one back Moyes all the way, let?s hope he signs the dotted line himself this week. COYB

Reader Comments

Chris Dawson
1   Posted 11/08/2008 at 15:29:42

Tim Cahill, Mikel Arteta, Joleon Lescott, none of them were shirt sellers before they came but they sure are now!!!

Let the shirt sellers go to the Barcodes or West Ham, give us bright young things (that become shirt sellers) and lets push on doing the right things in the right way... the Everton Way!!!
Chad Schofield
2   Posted 11/08/2008 at 15:43:51

Thanks for clearing that up Niel,
Now was JFK assasinated by the CIA or not, is Elvis acually alive and are there any other ways in which your imagination can clear up matters for us all?
Neil Alecock
3   Posted 11/08/2008 at 15:55:11

Thanks Chad.

I did say it was my view and its a view based on reports as we know it. Without ’imagination’ and speculation life would be a boring place and this website would be like evertonfc.com!

Oh btw I am pretty sure JFK is still alive!
Chad Schofield
4   Posted 11/08/2008 at 16:05:24

Good work Neil! You managed to make me laugh which is impressive at the moment as just on edge with all the specualtion going on and lack of of actual activity.

I just can’t beleive that leaving it so late (for whatever reason) is going help us at all... surely a club selling is going to see how desperate we are and bump the price up. Then of course there’s the lack of training with the team for any new arrivals.

At least JFK’s OK though :)
Andy Wilcock
5   Posted 11/08/2008 at 16:32:21

For Evertonians there could be only one shirt like that, Love 9. ;)
Martin Lucas
6   Posted 11/08/2008 at 16:51:01

99% of the posts on this site is assumption - we as fans don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, so why waste your time trying to look clever and figure it out!?
Michael Kenrick
7   Posted 11/08/2008 at 17:22:00

Martin, I had that thought as I was reading Neil?s post prior to deciding on its merits for posting. It?s a tough one; when people take the time to compose their contributions, I don?t like to ditch something unless it is obviously plain daft. But it did leave me wondering for a brief moment about the effort involved... I guess for some it?s a way of trying to understand what "could " be going on and thus to come to terms in their own minds at least with what is essentially unknowable. I guess it?s just another way of dealing with what has become a very difficult summer for the Evertonians who can?t patiently wait out the culmination of this year?s transfer window...
Aiden Doyle
8   Posted 11/08/2008 at 17:15:20

I agree with Neil. We do need shirt sellers.

Keith Wyness took a lot of abuse on this site and others. Much of it was warranted, but you also need to remember that in many ways he was a salesman - and consider the quality of the product that he was trying to sell. For much of his tenure Everton were an unsuccessful team, with no bankable stars, playing ugly football in a decaying stadium. That’s a tough sell in a crowded marketplace & it’s no surprise that the club’s finances aren’t rosy.

Some things are starting to change. We’ve shown that we can play more attractive football and that we stand a chance of winning something, even if it is only one of the lesser cup competitions. It’s a more contentious area, but everybody agrees that something needs to be done about the ground.

The one area where we’ve made no progress whatsoever is in attracting players with star appeal. Talented though they are, few non-Evertonians give a damn about the likes of Arteta, Cahill & Lescott. Compared to the likes of Beckham, Ronaldo, Gerrard etc, the money they generate must be minuscule.

Like it or not, we do need players who can generate finances now and can attract our fans of the future.
Mike Evans
9   Posted 11/08/2008 at 17:45:11

If I was in charge of merchandising I would create a 69 squad shirt for Love and watch the shirt sale revenue rocket.
Tom Davies
10   Posted 11/08/2008 at 18:25:30

I’d rather just players who do the job, shirt sellers often cost more, earn more and even bring in unwanted attention.

After all the hype of mountinho, if we were to buy him I think he’d be a shirt seller.

But we already have Arteta, Lescott, Jagielka etc who are all selling shirts pretty well.
Robbie Carew
11   Posted 11/08/2008 at 19:04:48

Hey guys, i?ve seen shirts with Hibbert and Valente on the back!!! Even Per Krøldrup. Either way I don?t own a real Everton kit (I bought a fake one in Shanghai) but if we signed Moutinho i would buy! Yes! But really, my theory is this; Last year we had money for manny: £12m.
We had money From Maccy: £6m.
We have money from AJ: £13m
That shows we have £30m ish take away the Pienaar money and we have £28m-ish.

Montinho: £16m....
Steve Hampton
12   Posted 11/08/2008 at 18:29:14

I agree with Neil. Arshavin sounds like a big ticket item we need. It?s a shame his price tag is a killer for the blues.
Now is definately the time for us to make a splash. A player we should go after is Landon Donavon. The LA Galaxy is a team in turmoil. Rumor is, his agent is shopping him around. This player is the perfect fit for us. He is the US player with the highest profile and is the best player on the team. His attributes: pace and goalscoring. A better version of Osman. The world coverage would put Everton even further on the map. He wasn?t successful before in Europe so he may not go to a high profiled club. Maybe we could attract him with our hard work mentality. A move like this would make us a happening and improves the team.
John Boy
13   Posted 11/08/2008 at 20:30:31

Landon Donovan? !

Seriously?
Colin Smith
14   Posted 11/08/2008 at 22:37:06

Steve, Donovan is a big fish in a small pond. He looks quick and sharp & like pretty much all US players works hard, but against decent Premier League defenders he would be about as effective as Rob Earnshaw was for Derby last year.
Phil Abbott
15   Posted 12/08/2008 at 00:01:54

Although the apprehension in the air at Goodison on Saturday was tangible and understandible, I have every faith that the signings will come by the end of the month, albeit not before the Blackburn opener. My biggest concern by far is that Moyes has not signed. I would settle for bugger all in terms of new arrivals before September as long as Davey M signs on the dotted line. Seems to me he is clearly not confident that enough is being done to ensure those signings. It concerns me...
Jason Lam
16   Posted 12/08/2008 at 04:34:55

We should sign a Chinese player and watch the shirt sales rocket in China. 13 billion people. Who’s that player that played for Charlton? How about Li Tie again? We are seriously clutching on straws now. Mike Evans I take a few of those definately.
Nigel Seddon
17   Posted 12/08/2008 at 13:43:47

If you want to sell shirts Michael Owen.You are not gambling on his quality only his fitness.He would sell thousands in the far east increase the profile of the club and with a reported £7m release clause be worth the fitness gamble.
Kevin Quinn
18   Posted 12/08/2008 at 19:46:21

Martin Lucas

We do know what is goin on behind the scenes....... FUCK ALL! That's why were in the shit :-) I've just seen Pienaar is out for 6 weeks. Where's the rope!!!