FAN ARTICLES

Billionaires

By John  Hughes :  13/08/2008 :  Comments (24) :
Should we Sack the Board to allow a Billionare to take over? Or not, as the case maybe! What should a board of a FOOTBALL CLUB deliver? I say football club because as I began to understand in one of my previous post about what I would do if I had the money, that running a football club is totally different to running a ?normal? business. So what should the board/owner of a football club deliver in the present climate of the English Premier League?

Simple answer ? Money!

In essence this is the only thing modern day football club owners need to provide. Prime examples are the Thai guy at City and Abramovich at Chelsea. Manu U don?t seem to be doing too bad. They always seem able to break the £20m barrier for a single player every year or even two £15-20m in some seasons. Arsenal may not look like they have money to spend but Arsene Wenger is one of the best managers for spotting cheap talented future superstars (Niklas Anelka). Liverpool, for all their problems have two strikers worth £20m plus a piece. Villa don?t go around splashing the cash but if they really wanted too then I?m sure Randy Lerner (billionaire) would be able to fund a substantial amount.

The by-product from having a mega rich owner is that they invariably surround themselves with the best possible business people. All of the above teams with the possible exception of Villa and City are massively in debt which is not good but the year on year turnover generates enough cash to service any debt. The shite made a profit last season, Utd did, Chelsea Did and Arsenal did. Ok when these clubs do make a loss their loss is usually transfer related and that money was ?invested? by their mega rich chairman. Their operating costs are usually well within their means.

You see, by having a billionaire in charge doesn?t just help a club compete in the transfer market. They are billionaires not because they are the best or cleverest person on the planet but because they recognise the talents of those people who can make them more money. You will never see a billionaires company run badly. If it was, they wouldn?t be billionaires.

So after all of this and my attempt to put my own mind at ease in wanting a billionaire owner should we sack our current board. After all, they can?t provide the one main ingredient needed to take us forward. Second to this is they can?t or haven?t been running the business side of the club properly. Do we have the best people running our club?

Reader Comments

Tom Campbell
1   Posted 13/08/2008 at 14:43:47

Boston Bob
2   Posted 13/08/2008 at 14:46:53

My preference would be local ownership, but it doesn’t seem as though anyone with the resources will step up.

One name I would like to see surface is Robert Kraft owner of the New England Patriots (USA Football) and New England Revolution (USA - MLS Soccer [sorry - football]) He and his family were season ticket holders before he bought the team, he built a state of the art stadium [privately financed except for some Massachusetts funded Highway infrastructure]. His teams are Championship or near Championship level and his family is involved.

Downside is he has been mentioned w/r/to possible owners in the past of the Red side and his Revolution Manager is a former Liverpool Star, steve Nichol.

Can a potential Red owner be turned Blue?
Jay Harris
3   Posted 13/08/2008 at 14:42:25

John whilst I agree with the sentiment that rich men surround themselves iwth talented managers I have to point out that you are wrong on the financial results.

Chelsea have reduced their annual loss of over 140 million to 80 million in the last set of posted accounts and according to my recollection have not made a profit since Abramovic took over.It is just his plaything.

Kop Holdings (LFC) posted a 33 million loss.

Against that Man Utd have a consistent records of profits.

Arsenal, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa have all posted profits in recent years.

The real problem facing most clubs (Including and especially the top 4) is debt arising out of paying too much for and to players and in Everton’s case arising out of mortgaging assets and future gate receipts.

I personally think it is possible to find a good manager (Moyes) who relishes the challenge of taking on the top 4 without their cash and bling bling attitude and to back him with a well managed and commercially orientated club (Spurs) and then to build gradually which is where we are now showing the shortcomings of our board in management ability (not financial) who because they were inept at management could not support the success on the pitch.
Peter Howard
4   Posted 13/08/2008 at 16:07:41

WE can’t sack the Board
Jay Harris
5   Posted 13/08/2008 at 16:49:12

Peter
well we certainly sacked the last chairman!
Dan Brierley
6   Posted 13/08/2008 at 16:14:50

Just out of interest, how in any company, can a board of directors and chairman be sacked? Who exactly is above them to sack them, or you mean they should sack themselves?

Bill has stated he is waiting for the right investment. So, I will ask again:

’Can anybody state a solid concrete offer from an acceptable investor that BK has rejected?’

Until that day, I will continue to believe that BK will only sell to somebody who is right for the club, and has the club’s best interests at heart. Which is the right thing to do. He has stated he doesnt have the finances to take this club further, he certainly hasnt lied about that fact. He has done the honourable thing, and took us to the brink of the Sky 4 and now is offering up the reigns to someone suitable who can financially bridge that gap.

He has developed this club to the limit of his ability, which is a million miles further than when he took over. For a man by his own admission ’not knowing much about running a football club’, has he done a BAD job? Is this criticism justified given that he has mortgaged his own personal assets for the benefit of EFC? I really think it is not. I dont doubt for one minute he has to leave to move the club forward, and by his statements neither does he. But who has come in with a serious bid, and a decent future plan of what to do with the club? If somebody can prove that Bill held back for no reason other than selfishness, I will scathe him for eternity myself too. But rationality has taught me not to judge until I have all the evidence. And if I never have all the evidence, I should never judge. So when Bill finally gives over the reigns, I will salute the guy as THE one who took us out of the darknest days of EFC, and provided a good manager, the best first team in years and European football. His tenure wasn’t perfect, nor did I expect it to be given his background. But to me, breaking transfer records, providing us with England international’s again and giving us football to enjoy, is not something to criticise about.

Now about investment. Before I start, please bear in mind that 90% of investor’s WANT TO MAKE MONEY out of their investment. There are not many investors out there willing to take on a company that consistently delivers a loss, and needs substantial investment which includes a new stadium. Especially when it is nowhere near the capital, has a poor brand name, and is not in the most glamourous of locations. And please.... stop with the ’if JJB put us at the front of the shop we would sell more’ shit. Evertonian’s are not made through watching media that glorifies only four clubs in England. Kids love trophy winning hero’s. So heavy investment into advertising would be a complete waste of money. Please look to Newcastle for an example of how it takes more than just money. So all in all, we are not appealing to investor’s, so dont expect it to happen overnight. It may take another ’bridge’ investor before we become appealing enough to a billionaire.

So there is no quick fix, so all you can do is be patient. Spitting venom does nothing but harm.
Tim Lloyd
7   Posted 13/08/2008 at 18:04:07

The most intelligent posting I’ve read for a long time. Puts the case for the status quo pretty succinctly.

I suppose we die hard blues find the present situation so irksome, because we finished last season on a high and then all the rumours started about us paying over £30M for continental stars and none have arrived.

I think we must get someone in before the window closes. Maybe a couple of loan deals because we are so desperately short of experienced players and every season one can guarantee some breakdowns.

Still I do think there is some reason behind the apparent inactivity. I’m with Dan in not believing all this rubbish about Bill Kenwright until we see some hard evidence.
ron leith
8   Posted 13/08/2008 at 18:56:18

Correction Liverpool have one striker worth £20 million and one that cost £20million. Roy Keane is a great player but I think the reason why EFC has not bought anybody is because the prices are just looney. If Liverpool can chuck £20million at Spurs for Keane no wonder Sporting Lisbon want the same for Mountinho. Its crazy.
Simon Templeman
9   Posted 13/08/2008 at 21:02:20

I despair,
I have posted these sentiments on another thread but here goes, It seems that the CEO of Pompey has announced something called a credit crisis has apparently occurred again ( despite Gordon suggesting the days of Tory boom and bust being over Phnarr Phnarr,) and we may have to cut our cloth accordingly. I suggest we support Everton with our disposable income directly from now on. The bulk of Sky and CL money goes directly into the Sky 4.
Keith Glazzard
10   Posted 13/08/2008 at 22:47:36

ron - I agree with you. People bought houses last year that they couldn’t afford. Next year they won’t be able to pay for the property that is worth less than thay "paid" for it. We can only wish this pox on our dear beloved neighbours.

Steve Carter
11   Posted 13/08/2008 at 22:58:18

Presumes a billionaire will drop off every tree in the forest of billionaire trees that surround Liverpool and desperately fight each other to take over EFC if only the present board will go. Dream on.
Chris Gough
12   Posted 13/08/2008 at 23:27:58

Personally, I’ll be quite happy if the status quo is maintained and we don’t buy anyone this season. Sure we’ll probably finish mid table but at least we’ll have paid off some of the club debt before the crunch hits soccer - and it will - hard! The second there is a hint that gate receipts are going down in the Premiership, watch the various club owners fleeing like rats off a sinking ship. I don’t understand those that somehow think that football is immune to the economic situation. If the club can survive the next 5 years solvent and in the Premiership that will do me - watch what happens with city very closely... we’ll soon see how much owner loyalty there is out there.
Gavin Ramejkis
13   Posted 14/08/2008 at 10:27:06

Ron, would love to know how the RS bought Sunderland’s manager for £20m. The introduction of a new board would breath life into the club, just as in the 80s when we stagnated through the old boy’s club and stewardship we are again now through luvvie and his yes men pals. We need businessmen and guys and girls that know how to "turn coin". BK has shown he has little acumen by employing an atrocious CEO who abused his post. The board are responsible for sanctioning the CEO’s day to day work so hold responsibility for the negligence we have seen but it is also the board responsible for short to long term business strategies such as marketing and direction, they employ people to actually do that job or tell them it isn’t possible, sadly failing on all accounts.
Dave Johnson
14   Posted 14/08/2008 at 10:05:45

Id say BK has done a decent job thus far.I think Kirkby was a wreckless gamble.A gamble that could have turned us into a Knowsley club in years to come.Other than that like I say hes done a decent job and has begged borrowed and stole to get us where we are today.
Im sure you read these posts Bill because like us your a blue.I think I speak for the majority when I say we are all grateful for your time and investment over the years.
We dont want second rate players. I agree with Moyes strategy of not wasting one penny on players who are not an improvement on what we already have.I am prepared to wait for the RIGHT signings but something aint right Bill and we all know it.
1.Moyes still has not signed (will players sign for a manager who wont commit himself)
2.Can we put out a team of recognised first teamers
These are genuine concearns and we aint took our eyes off that space you told us to watch.I hope you can pull a few rabbits out of hats over the next few weeks because your one of us and we all want you to succeed.Until then we will continue to worry and some of us will even wish for a billionaire.
Frederick Chumley-Warner
15   Posted 14/08/2008 at 10:41:05

*WE can?t sack the Board *

We certainly could, old bean.

We could give it a damned good pillage and plunder - Nothing like a medieval style sacking to relieve a summer of frustration, you take it from me.
Kevin Jones
16   Posted 14/08/2008 at 15:16:31

I?m with Chumley Warner, Ever since I used to watch the Hammer films I?ve always wanted to have a flaming rag on a stick. Say the word Chumley, I?ll bring my own stick and some parafin. We could call it KEIOC. ( Kill eveyone including our chairman )
Peter Howard
17   Posted 14/08/2008 at 16:22:28

Frederick can’t even spell his family name- it’s Cholmendeley- Warner.The family have been friends of the Howards for generations but I suppose all their in-breeding has diminished their intelligence.
David Banner
18   Posted 14/08/2008 at 17:52:09

Ahhhhh....the money solves everything idea.....how many other clubs thought that ???? I think you should look carefully at anyone who wants to buy the club and if they have our best interests at heart.....Bill loves the club and has guided it well but it must go to safe hands ......As for arguing about spelling of names......lets worry about the club and signings...thats what the REAL fans should be concerned about like myself a home and away blue for 30+ years....now that support...
Richard Watts
19   Posted 14/08/2008 at 21:55:10

Just ask Man City fans how happy they are tonight with their billionaire (or now ex-billionaire) owner. Martin Samuel hits the nail on the head today in The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article4518058.ece

Other than Abramovitvch, who is a one-off, and I suppose Randy Lerner who bought Aston Villa, the ’billionaires’ who have bought into the premiership are not exactly universally popular at their clubs - just look next door.

This isn’t to say we don’t need investment - clearly we do. But a billionaire owner means our club becomes the plaything of someone who probably won’t have the best interests of Everton at heart - and the results will be both predictable and awful.
Jim Lloyd
20   Posted 14/08/2008 at 22:00:26

Frederick Chumley, I take it your a man of action and wish to lay seige to Fortress Goodison (or was that Fortress sports?) (Peter, its Cholmondely,) So Frederick, you must have some Norman blood cursing through your veins. Not normally a lover of that lot but desperate situations call for desperate measures...I too would like to join your gang!
Frederick Chumley-Warner
21   Posted 15/08/2008 at 09:25:18

Then this band of righteous blue brothers shall soon descend upon the halls of Goodison and a bloody coup will be had. (May I suggest a time of 17:50 on Saturday - bloodiness of coup dependent on the result against the Rovers of Blackburn.)

Whilst loyalty to Old Bill has always been the done thing, an act of regicide would appear to be our only recourse, nay our duty. Temporary salvation may arrive in the form of Portuguese maestros, Cameroonian enforcers and Brazilian triggermen (Peroxide oiks from Newcastle don?t count) but optimism is an elusive commodity in these troubled times.

BTW those Cholmondely-Warners are a ghastly bunch of Red Effluent, and I should be pleased not to be confused with those scoundrels.
Dave Brierley
22   Posted 15/08/2008 at 14:45:15

Freddy you’re a star!! God knows we all need a laugh right now and you’ve done the job for me. See you on Saturday.

P.S. How will you be able to get your sword through the turnstile??
Keith Glazzard
23   Posted 15/08/2008 at 19:48:05

Freddy - I wondered what Stuart Hall did in the close season. Now we know.
JimLloyd
24   Posted 15/08/2008 at 21:23:54

I’ll second Dave on that, well said Frederick, I’m glad you’ve disowned those ne’er do well relations of yours.
All the best.