FAN ARTICLES

Forget the score, look at the performance

By Anthony  Jaras :  16/08/2008 :  Comments (27) :
Although I am devastated that we lost today's game, I am more concerned about the performance than anything else.

When I saw the team sheet - the same team we had all predicted in the week up to the game - I felt confident that we could get the win. Solid back four of internationals, some of whom (Neville & Valente) have played in the biggest games in world football. Skill (Arteta) and pace (Baines) on the wings to recieve the ball from the inexperienced (Rodwell), industrious (Jagielka) and crafty (Osman) midfield trio. The Yak up front will always grab a goal and I felt that with hard work the starting eleven should have been able to cope.

Indeed, we did start off very well, Rodwell looked mature beyond his years with his first three or four contributions, then it all went wrong for him. He gave the ball away as if he was colourblind. Phil Neville was running around as if the ball was a bomb about to go off as he could not get rid of it quick enough. Anywhere he could hoof it he hoofed it without even looking, even when he had lots of time. The Yak looked ridiculously disinterested and apart from his goal and a couple more nice touches, he did not put in a good enough shift.

Baines was simply awful. He got found out today big time and I really can't see a time when he will be our first choice left back. Lescott simply has to admit that his best position is at left back, the sooner he does that the better for everyone. Valente was good in my eyes, solid.

I can't fault Tim Howard at all, he was exposed a hell of a lot today and should really have conceded more than 3 goals, Blackburn were poor with the final touch, they had masses of chances. Yobo was off the pace big time and struggled with the movement and hustle and bustle style of Roberts and Santa Cruz. Jagielka can never, ever be asked to play central midfield again, dreadful. Centre half is screamingly obvious to all, his best postion with Yobo.

Rodwell is not ready, nowhere near ready in fact for this level, he cannot start another game for at least another season. Osman was really good today, his first touch and work ethic top drawer, good job we had him today as he slowed the game down for us in that 30 minutes of Blackburn pressure first half.

Overall, to sum up: Our captain was absolutely shite; Baines will never be a regular; Rodwell is not ready regardless of what any coaches or players say; Jagielka cannot play centre midfield again... AND THE OBVIOUS: We need to sign at least 3 players before the deadline or we may end up fighting to stay in this league.

Seriously, the injuries we always pick up will leave us in the same boat we were in today if we don't sign well in the next 2 weeks.I never thought I would say this but I am begging for Alan Smith to be signed asap. I don't care now, I just want to sign grown men with experience.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SORT THIS OUT, DAVID MOYES...... YOU ARE RUINING OUR WEEKENDS WITH DAYS LIKE TODAY, I HAVE EVEN FELL OUT WITH MY MRS COS OF YOU LOT!!!

Reader Comments

Tony Marsh
1   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:04:14

Cant find a thing wrong with what you say Anthony.Why is hoofball back on the menu?I thought this style of football was consigned to the rubbish bin years ago.Apparantley not its now the Everton way or should I say the Moyes way?Whatever it is it stinks and is a huge embarrasment to our club.6 years at the helm and all he knows it hoof it and leg it.
IMWT ha ha ha
Brian Flack
2   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:09:51

It is a pity you did not go to the game. (Or did you?) Rodwell played very very well and yes made a bad mistake. No problem playing him until experienced players are bought. He should be well pleased by his contribution.
Ger Mackey
3   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:10:32

Man do I feel down. What a load of rubbish we played. Anthony you said it all man. Bill has a lot to answer for! Brings me back to the Johnson era!!!! Please Please Please sign some talent or we’re doomed!
Anthony Jaras
4   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:14:08

Of course I went the game, upper bullens, row D, Seat 1.

I would not write a summary of a game I saw on the web or TV cos I would not be qualified to do so.

I though Rodwell was awful, but I expected nothing more from him, he is not ready and it was unfair on him to play him today.
Dan Mckie
5   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:09:12

Think you’re being a bit harsh on Baines, Anthony. Both he and Valente kept getting muddled up due to them both wanting to play left back today. The same happened in midfield with Jags and Rodwell. We need more players so we dont have to play men out of position. Lescott was poor today and im not too confident in the Lescott/Yobo partnership as I am in Jags/Yobo or Jags/Lescott at centre back. I hope this game is a much needed kick up the arse to many at Everton, starting with Moyes, and I love Moyes, but today he messed up! He needed to be much braver to get any sort of balance in the team today, perhaps of played Jutkiewicz or JP Kissock, at least they could have played on a position they train in every day!
Michael Kidd
6   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:18:30

It could easily have been 2-1 if the defence had done what it did for most of last season. Would you have said the same then?
B Hunt
7   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:00:48

If you were confident before the k.o after you saw that jagielka was starting in midfield than you obviously didn’t see the first 5 or so matches of last season. You are however quite right, Phil Jagielka for all his industry has never, and will never be a central midfield player, certainly not at this level anyway.

That said, we have to remember that the only reason he was playing there is because of our painfully thread bare squad due to a summer void of any significant transfer activity.

I felt especially sorry for Rodwell today, he’s just not ready - Moyes knows this but what else can he do? I just hope that his confidence doesn’t get ruined should he have what is likely to be an unproductive spell in the first team.

Baines - your view is probably a touch harsh, although for 6million i do expect more. He was quite productive at times, but his passing lets him down. The major worry for me is the number of times he gets caught out at the back post - I would put this down to his size, but i don’t think the likes of Clichy and Evra to name just two have that problem who are a similar height and build. Ask me if i’d take 6mil from Sunderland for him? i’d seriously think about it. Valente, in my opinion, is a better all round full back.

Osman played well when we gave him the ball to feet - but that’s just it, we played the ball in the air far too much. There’s no point playing a 50 yard pass to a guy who’s barely 5ft tall. Whenever he got it to feet something happened, same for Arteta, who it should be said was fantastic for the most part. Where would we be without him? Scored our first and created the second. Superb.

In summary we aren’t far away from being a good side, but if you haven’t got a central midfield, you don’t have a team.

Moyes knows this and WILL sort it, we have to have faith, surely?
Anthony Jaras
8   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:21:48

Yes Michael Kidd, I would, because despite the fact that we would have won the game the facts would have still been;

So the answer is yes.
Jason Lam
9   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:22:38

Michael Kidd, you only need to re-read the title of this post, ’Forget the score, look at the performance’. It was the performance - absolute shambles. So no difference there.
Andrew Butler
10   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:08:15

I wonder whether you had a blocked vision of today?s game.
Osman was overconfident and it showed in a very disappointing display.
We gave them both goals. A dreadful and lazy response from Lescott that allowed the equali ser (2-2)
And then the Yak went and chased down their player to give them the free kick that lost us the game. It was so late and lazy that he ought to be made to look at it time and again so that he will never do it again.
You are spot on, in that Roswell is nowhere near ready to be playing in this division.
This team is not good enough. I believe it is imperative that we need (1) A top Striker, (2) A winger with pace and proven ability. (3) An experienced CB (4) A midfielder with flair and holding ability.
Stewart Marsland
11   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:05:47

First the good news, we have just been comprehensively outplayed at home by Blackburn!!!! WTF. Then the bad news, we have absolutley no players to change the situation.We are just back from the match, when the teams were announced there seemed to be a stunned silence for a while round Goodison, who are these on the bench???? How can this be? We finished 5th last season, quaterfinals of the Uefa Cup, semi-finals in the Carling Cup, money from Sky... and yet we are the only club apart from those in administration not to sign anyone (so I'm reliably informed). Something is completely wrong.

Anyone who has seen or listened to David Moyes's interviews can see he is completly pissed off, even radio commented on this. The side out today will struggle to stay in the Premier League, this situation is absolutly unbelievable.

First half it was embarrassing, you can't blame the kids, Rodwell and Baxter did their best but with no midfield to speak of the defence had to compensate and were bound to buckle. If David Moyes won't sign and Bill Kenwright won't give him the cash till he commits, then this is to the detriment of the club and cannot continue. Something has to give, we must have money cus Bullshit Billy says so, so who do you believe?

Does anyone think the likes of Yakubu, Lescott, Cahill, Arteta are going to hang around seeing the lack of ambition here? I am totally despondent tonight more than I have ever been in 40 Years an Evertonian

Anthony Jaras
12   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:28:26

No obstructed view for me mate, I actually praised Osman for his first half performance if you re-read it Andrew.

Peter Fearon
13   Posted 16/08/2008 at 20:19:54

That?s a bit harsh on Rodwell. Younger inexperienced players need to be surrounded by more experiencd players who are exuding skill and confidence and the fact is that their fear and tension were being communicated to him. The basic problem was tactical. We looked scared of Backburn Rovers and kept retreating in front of their midfield. Up front, another lone striker in Yakubu. Despite his goal he was third rate and it was he who needlessly gave away the free kick that led directly to the winner. Baines and Jagielka are Champiosnhip players to me. That display was an absolute disgrace and no way to start the season. Only Arteta gave any real value.
Jamie Carroll
14   Posted 16/08/2008 at 21:12:11

Sorry to say, but it look?s likely there is NO money to be spent.... look at that bench to day, all youngster?s, even Leed?s United would have had a better bench than that lot today. Me thinks Billy Liar has no money and can?t wait for the 31 Aug to come. Watch this Space indeed!
Kurt Knight
15   Posted 16/08/2008 at 21:35:12

Thank you all for the good points and observations; all well taken. Interesting game in that we get our goals from the two best players on the field but are hung out by our best defensive player and a striker who loafs far too much -- what was he doing down there anyway. The foul was lazy and cost us.
Paul OHanlon
16   Posted 16/08/2008 at 21:45:45

If we’d of held onto 2-1 it would of merely papered over the cracks. Agree with most of what you say Anthony, today’s performance was shute and it came against a Blackburn side who’ll struggle to reach the top 10 this season.

We all knew this was coming, so why the hell have we let players go without bringing in quality replacements!!

Still watching that space Kenwright, time to fill it with some signings!!!
Andy Orsom
17   Posted 16/08/2008 at 22:27:46

Have to agree with Anthony that Rodwell gave the ball away far too much

We had 6 defenders today (almost 7) in the team

Also Phil Neville , GEEEEZZZZ, four more years of his shite football. How can he be the captain of our club? He was shite, real shite

And why on earth do we now have to pay over £1 to get the answers to the quiz in the programme

Disgraceful
Simon Bradley
18   Posted 16/08/2008 at 23:02:14

...usually a lurker, but a few beers and a grim night force me to contribute.

Nobody was good. Anyone who was halfway decent, was no more than that - average at best. Many players were poor. It wasn?t necessarily their fault.

A midfield comprising Jagilelska, Baines and Rodwell wouldn?t do well in the Championship, let alone the Prem.

I?m usually a glass is half full type of person, but serious work needs to take place to rectfy the situation urgently.

Incidentally a mate of a mate (yeah, I know...) reckons Pienaar has a broken foot (not just toe) but they are surpressing the bad news for obvious reasons right now....

Please Bill, Davey, whoever...it?s not knee-jerk, it?s simply a matter of fact - better quality players, playing in their correct positions, are needed very, very urgently.
John Doe
19   Posted 17/08/2008 at 00:36:40

1st half was truly dreadful and two of the three goals were an absolute shambles - what was Yakubu thinking to give them one last chance to throw their defenders forward for a winner with no chance that there was time for them to be caught on the counter. FFS they could have brought the keeper up if they’d wanted.

On Rodwell, yes he’s not quite ready yet, but I thought he showed himself to be exactly the sort of player that we want. The more that time went on the more he was prepared to take a touch and find a blue shirt. There’s something about him that makes me want to see more of him - even if it means that we suffer a bit in the meantime. Hopefully that is done via sub appearances but he looks to be worth making an effort to develop.

Hopefully we get some signings in but in the meantime I hope Moyes just picks his best Back 4 and makes do elsewhere - it looks like we might need that unit to be settled.
Dave Jones
20   Posted 17/08/2008 at 02:14:33

Baines will never be a regular?? based on ONE game??

What a stupid post.
stephen stuart
21   Posted 17/08/2008 at 05:04:19

MOYES HAS TO GO - now preferably.

His dour, defensive approach was highlighted in this match, like no other. Presumably, he won’t settle unless he picks 11 defenders so 7 in one team is a start!! But seriously, this is not good enough, he knows it and should resign. Then again it will be hard to give up £3M salary.....more than I earn............hmmmm???
Ian McDowell
22   Posted 17/08/2008 at 07:09:12

Sorry cant agree with that Moyes is a good manager he has made some great signings gets the team playing to there strengths and with an emphasis on team spirit, we played some of the best football I have seen Everton play in years last season.

He has give us our most successful seasons since the mid-eighties all this with one hand tied behind his back in the transfer market.

Moyes is definitely the man for the job; I only wish he was a bit more like Harry Redknapp in the transfer market. I think we probably won?t realise just how good a manger Moyes was until he has gone.
Trevor Clarke
23   Posted 17/08/2008 at 07:44:02

I agree with everyhting you say apart from the fact that Osman is crap average player in my eyes gets knocked of the ball to easy he is strong enough for the prem and definatley not skillfull enough to counter his strength like Pienaar, Don't know how you can say he had a good game today, none of them did apart from Arteta who when he was not getting kicked out of the game showed us what he can do.
Anthony Jaras
24   Posted 17/08/2008 at 10:29:54

DAVE JONES - What a constructive response to my post.

Leighton Baines will never be a regular based on performances since he joined, not just based on yesterday, however, yesterday was typical of his form in each appearance anyway, average at best.

So my whole post is ?Stupid? based on one small comment, grow up Dave and be more constructive next time when you don't agree with something and explain the reasons why you don?t agree???
Danny Gorman
25   Posted 17/08/2008 at 11:55:08

Have to agree with the original poster with everyone in there best positions Baines wont get a sniff.

The best LB on show today was Warnock

The Baines apologists are getting as bad as the Kenwright ones
Dominic Duerden
26   Posted 17/08/2008 at 12:06:06

Thought Moyes was to blame yesterday, abslutely stupid team selection.

Jagielka can?t play centre midfield, he?s a centre half. Rodwell is even worse, but then he is a 17 year old centre half being asked to play centre midfield. Our best player is Arteta, who wants to play centre midfield, yet he is stuck out on the right wing?! What is Moyes thinking?

Add to that, we are playing one up front and the Yak doesn?t bother running or working, heading the ball, or trying to hold it up! He?s a great goal scorer and would be my first choice on the team sheet, but he needs a partner... and he was like that before he joined us so why try and play him on his own up front? It just doesn?t make sense, play that lad from Swindon with him, anyone for christ sake...

I think Moyes is sulking, and if he isn?t interesed then fuck him off... because that was against an average team, god knows how we will get on against teams like Pompey or the Villa this season.

Baxter looks useful mind...

Chad Schofield
27   Posted 17/08/2008 at 15:27:24

First off, I wasn?t at the game yesterday, just watched "highlights" of (which there were few for Everton). However, I do think some people on here are going well overboard.

From what I?ve seen I feel John Doe summed the game up best. Yes, it was disappointing and we need a decent replacement for Carsley desperately, and we need bodies in... but this is not a reverlation-everyone know?s this including DM. If you really were agahst at the line-up, where have you been? And to those who are calling, for the other youngsters to be put in ahead of senior players, are you deranged?! What, so they too could be completely written off as not ready or shit and used as another flimsey knife by Tony Marsh?s army against Moyes.

If on the other hand September arrives and we are still in a similar situation, then I don?t think they?ll be need to call for the manager?s head as he?ll most likely have walked.