FAN ARTICLES

Dereliction of Duty

By Mike Oates :  17/08/2008 :  Comments (17) :
You all might think that the title is a give away for another pop at Kenwright but you?re wrong and I?ll come onto that shortly. Kenwright?s role is and has been to find the serious cash (investment) that this club needs to take it forward, and ensure that Moyes has sufficient cash available for his transfers. By all accounts Kenwright has got monies available for Moyes to buy. Whether its enough to ensure that the club progresses so it can target the Top 4 I doubt it, but Moyes has said that cash has always been available.

Now let's go back to end May; Moyes knew at the time that he was likely to be without Cahill, Hibbert, Vaughan, and possibly Baines due to injuries for the start of the 2008-09 season and that he?d already lost Fernandes and Wessels (let's forget Gravesen as he didn?t really appear last season). He also knew that Carsley was leaving. So what was already a small squad last season was about to become an even smaller one with another 7 players missing. He I suspect already had a notion that he had a budget of whatever ? let's guess £20M.

He also knew that the African and American contingent wouldn?t be available until the end of July for preseason training. With these facts lets piece together what happened from end May.

1. Moyes & Co went on holiday in June, and he spent time at the European Championships as an ITV guest ? no transfer movement.

2. He started preseason training on Jul 4th with only 2 reserve keepers, 4 Premier League defenders (Neville , Jags,Valente and Lescott) and 2 Premier League midfielders (Osman and VdM!!!) and what was it 10 Academy players ? no incoming transfers, no quality, no quantity. But he already knew this would be the case back in May, if he didn?t bring in players.

3. ?Quality players? were just about starting to move but the basic price had gone up from £7-8M to £18M. Goodness me Bill?s £20M won't go far ? let's get more cash by selling Andy. Good we can now start to plan on £30M ? let's start please Bill.

4. Off to USA on 27 July (3 weeks after pre-season started) with another 5 or so Premier League players (Baines, Yobo, Pienaar, Yak and Howard) and still at least 5 Academy players ? no incoming transfers, no quality... NO QUANTITY. He already knew back at the end of May that without incoming transfers he had only about 10/11 Premier League standard players for the USA tour.

5. Early August, the totally unplanned event of loosing Pienaar ? but history shows that most clubs loose 1 or 2 players to lengthy injuries in pre-season and plan accordingly.

6. Season starts 16 August (6 weeks after the start of pre-season). Starts the season with only 10 Premier League players available. Result: LOST. Now he knew back at the end of May he would only have 13 or so Premier League players available if he didn?t bring in quality or quantity. He did neither.

7. We now have 2 weeks to bring in at least 5-7 players, quality or quantity ? he?s promised quality to the players but undoubtedly will have to just find 5-7 players who can just make the numbers up ? otherwise, Championship here we come.

I have been 100% behind Moyes since he?s been here and somehow actually still think he?s the right man for the job, but he has completely neglected his basic and primary role of ensuring that Everton stay in the Premier League. This isn?t a target that we want to hear and I suspect one which has even entered Moyes?s head, but I cannot see anything but a season of woe if we only have a squad containing 13 experienced players. He knew the original budget back in May and he must of known mid-late July that it probably wasn?t enough for his ?quality? strategy even with the extra £10M. His duty should then have been to buy the ?quantity? players (4/5) to ensure that a squad of 14/15 experienced was available from Aug 16th, to be supplemented with at least another 3 (Cahill, Hibbert, and Vaughan), and hopefully another three by transfer deadline.

He has been caught dithering and actually has done nothing. He for the sake of Everton cannot pursue his ?quality? strategy ? it's now a top priority to get the 5-6 players we need to survive and just hope that he finds the Jags, Lescotts, Pienaars, Arteta?s again.

The whole of the summer has been one long joke at the expense of Everton. A hotch pot of tours, a completely flawed transfer policy, the whipping boys of every media pundit, and now the laughing boys of the Premier League with a bench of 7 kids ? all supplied with lollipops and lemonade whilst they watched the game.

Why do I want him to continue ? well I suppose he actually performs better under pressure and his doggedness to prove that he can cut it will shine through, and I do believe he?s as straight and honest as they come ? something very missing in the rest of the club?s management team.

Reader Comments

Mark Williams
1   Posted 19/08/2008 at 00:13:57

Good shout....I am a Moyes fan but I belive he has royally cocked up this summer.
He has blown our best chance for 20 years to really challenge.I was a very disgusted spectator on Saturday and to look at the side he put out and the comments he made afterwards made me sick. Why doesn’t he admit he has cocked up...OR....blow BK up and say there has NEVER been any money to spend.We deserve more than this.I think this is going to be a long long season and the "money men" will NOT be falling over themselves to buy us...eh Bill???? What about the South African consortium who came over to buy us last year and he slammed the door in their faces....100% FACT....thanks Bill you prick and thanks Moyes for DITHERING AGAIN...........
Nil Satis Nisi Optimum.
Jay Harris
2   Posted 19/08/2008 at 00:07:54

Mike
I couldnt disagree more.

Moyes handed his wish list of players (An A and B list according to many) to the board before the end of last season, as it is the BOARD"S responsibility NOT Moyes to buy players, and I am sure on the basis of assurances let Carsley and Fernandes go.

From whispers that may or may not be true he was shocked to find that not only had Wyness not been up to much but the promised Kitty was quite a bit less than previously indicated.

Hence the tantrums and refusal to sign said contract.

I am not a fanatical Moyes supporter but the man has brought us our most successful recent years on an average spend of 4.5 million a year and some people would do well to remember that.
Brian Williams
3   Posted 19/08/2008 at 00:27:11

Mike. I’m not going to resort to insults like others in disagreeing, but your assumptions with regard to the money available to David Moyes are totally wrong and completely wide of the mark.

The "extra" £10m you speak of formed (at the time) about two thirds of the complete transfer budget.

His refusal to settle for second best and to sign makeweights, and making a stand with regard to his contract, speak volumes about the man.

David Moyes is the one shining light in our club at the moment. He wants big things as much, if not more, than you and I...and he’s not been afraid to say "Hey I’ll sign the contract when you do what you promised".

Brian Williams
4   Posted 19/08/2008 at 00:37:47

Sorry lads I didnt mean the comments to Mikes original piece resorted to insults..I meant "generally" on this site
John Andrews
5   Posted 19/08/2008 at 00:43:11

Am I missing something here ? How does everybody know what the transfer budget is/was ?
I believe that Wyness was, allegedly, in charge of getting the required players in. As he was up to his neck in Kirkby then not a lot happened. In fact fancy putting BK’s right hand man in charge of something as important as that anyway !
I have to agree that under Moyes’ leadership we have prospered and I would be sorry to see him go.
He very clearly has a stubborn streak in him and that is not at all to be condemned. However putting out that team at the weekend was beyond the pale. He must have been trying to prove a point to somebody, BK ?
I do not recall Moyes saying "I’ll sign the comtract when you do that which you promised". but that may have been exactly what he said behind closed doors.
Nigel Gregson
6   Posted 19/08/2008 at 01:32:16

Hahaha I love it every time I hear Moyes has "blown a golden opportunity". He’s been blowing golden opportunities ever since we finished fourth. Yet he keeps on getting top 10 finishes and keeps blowing these so called "golden opportunities."

Nonetheless I find a figure of 30 million as a transfer budget interesting. Clearly the author has knowledge of the board room that we don’t.

Every year we moan that he signs workman like players and we need quality.So this year he’s taken a stand and only wants quality. But now we moan that he doesn’t get in ANYBODY. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.
Stephen Stuart
7   Posted 19/08/2008 at 05:06:43

A good analysis but your conclusion is misguided.

This is just like asking Gordon Brown to continue being Prime Minister even though he?s crap!
Stefan Tosev
8   Posted 19/08/2008 at 07:41:11

"By all accounts Kenwright has got monies available for Moyes to buy."

Sorry Mike, I like your live comments but I stopped reading it after that sentence its plain stupid and daft to believe anything that comes from the club's PR machine.

We sold players for £15m, took one more mortgage, our CEO resigned without any meaningful explanation, Moyes is not signing his contract and on the base of these facts you are concluding that we have money!?! What's next ? BK promising that Santa C will bring us world best players come Christmas and blaming Moyes for not taking advantage?

Moyes stated in the end of the last season "Show me whether your ambitions are matching my vision about the club and I will sign my contract" So far its all smoke and mirrors but he is true to his word for not settling for the second best, something along the lines of NSNO...

Dutch Schaffaer
9   Posted 19/08/2008 at 09:15:48

Of course you do realise that its not Moyes himself who physically travels to other club working out details for the transfers?

Moyes will have undoubtedly drawn up a list of transfers he would like and handed it to Kenwright.

Moyes would then go back to his job of coaching the team while Kenwright and his team worked on the making the transfers happen.
Brendan McLaughlin
10   Posted 19/08/2008 at 10:05:36

I have to echo most of the responses so far & say that I feel you are well off base here. As has been stated above Moyes? job is to identify the players he wants, on the basis of what transfer monies he has been promised & then it is down to others to see the negotiations through. Moyes himself has spoken publicly from an early stage of the need to bring in 5 or 6 new faces.

The season has started, we have made no new signings yet, Moyes has failed to put pen to paper to his new contract yet & our CEO has resigned with barely 48 hours notice. Only a fool would conclude that something has not gone significantly wrong at Goodison this summer,

Of course, I am conscious that Moyes has shouldered the blame for the failure to bring new players in but I think what he was saying is that whilst this wasn?t his role he perhaps could, or should, have been done more to ensure that those who bore this responsibility, delivered on it.

Mike Oates
11   Posted 19/08/2008 at 10:21:07

Dutch,Brendan et al - I fully understand Moyes doesn’t travel the earth looking/buying the players and it is the administration/board job to do that , but for goodness sake as a manager of the playing department ITS his role to make sure on regular basis - daily/weekly in the preseason that he is going to have at least enough players to start in the premiership come Aug 16th - he didnt do this or he was naive if he believed Billy was going to deliver the 5-6 players ne desperately needs in one go together .
Kevin Tully
12   Posted 19/08/2008 at 10:31:21

If Moyes has known all along he could not not sign his "A list" players, he should have at least signed a couple of squad players.

Mike is correct in that he knew we would be short of first team players at the start of the season. His brinkmanship with the board has left us with a joke of a squad. EFC is not a vehicle for DM to convey his ambition to the footballing world.
Brendan McLaughlin
13   Posted 19/08/2008 at 10:39:05

Mike, why was Moyes naive to accept Kenwrights word that the money & players would be delivered. Lets face it, up until this summer, Moyes would probably say ( in fact has actually said) that despite the clubs financial limitations the Board have consistently backed him in the transfer market. Why should he have known that this year was going to be different?
Marc Williams
14   Posted 19/08/2008 at 11:07:56

The following is NOT meant as an attack on our manager just an observation.
I think the problem with Moyes is that he has started to believe his ’own press’ and has lost sight of his & our actual situation.
His statements, actions ( notably pursuit of unattainable targets ) & behaviour show a man who’s ambitions are conspiring against him. He is obviously desperate for us & himself to succeed but really needs to take stock & a ’reality check’ and realise that he is NOT managing one of the big four with their resources.
I feel one of the main reasons this has happened was the loss of a trusted & competent assistant and the delay in finding a replacement.
I know from an experience I had in business that when you are over acheiving & to an extent over reaching yourself, you need a very good deputy/assistant to keep your feet on the ground.
If David ’pulls in his horns’ & starts concentrating on what he does best I’m sure both he & we as a club can weather this storm.
Jay Harris
15   Posted 19/08/2008 at 14:13:12

I cant repeat often enough SIGNING players is not Moyes responsibility.

He identified his A and B list before the end of last season and gave it to the board.

Iam not going to go on about my friend’s aunty in the catering dept but I was reliably informed from 2 different sources that there was a major bust up with Wyness over why no progress has been made and Wyness said that he couldnt buy champagne with beer money (or words to that effect).

Apparently Everton had been trying to get top players for a small downpayment and the rest on the never never (a lot of it depending on Champions league qualification) and it is rumoured that the transfer fund was around 8 million.

Hence the panic to sell AJ and KW’s resignation.

Moyes has blamed himself for 1. Insisting on real quality and examining everything including the player’s navel (to make a point)

2. For not getting more involved initially.

For me there is only one person that should take the blame.

I’ll give you a clue - "I dont know what’s going on at the club I’m only the chairman"
Mark Scarratt
16   Posted 19/08/2008 at 22:25:39

Surely Moyes doesn’t like this situation.
Therefore either (a) we got no money or (b) players don’t want to sign for us.
I agree things aren’t great, but what about Man City.
Taxin Franksinatra has done a runner from Thailand or wherever and owes about £1,000000000 quid.
Spurs spent a fortune and lost at Middlesbrough.
The RS yanks are trying to tell the fat Spanish waiter who he can and can’t buy.
Man Utd will do nothing without Ronaldo, who has scored 99.999 % of their goals in the last 2 seasons.
Villa look to be a good bet.
Other than that everybody else is spending a fortune just to survive.
Chelsea will win the league by miles.

Oh and Arteta should play centre midfield. He is our best player by a mile and is wasted on the wing. He needs to get on the ball more and dictate our play. This only happened after about an hour on Saturday.

I was impressed by Rodwell. OK he started nervously but got better as the game went on. He has 2 good feet, isn’t afraid to shoot, or surge forward and passes and tackles well. He is only young and may get roughed up, but he will develop into a real good player.

Lescott should stay at left back. Without him we are vulnerbale to long diagonal balls over the left full back. Baines and Valente are too small.
Put Jagielka back at Centre Half. He was outstanding last season in that position, but is absolute pants in midfield.

Anyway it sounds like we might sign M’Bia, if the rumours are to be believed. Never seen him play but have heard he is about 6ft 11.

Never wanted to go to Kirkby. We only fill Goodison 2-3 times per year, so where are we going to get 10,000 extra fans from. Not like we lock out at every home game. They are flogging kids season tickets for £190 on the radio. How desperate is that. Next we will get the "GET DOWN TO GOODISON" advert back on the radio.

Anyway thats enough for now.

It should be an interesting season, to say the least.

Nice to see WBA charging £40 per ticket for this Saturday.
Stefan Tosev
17   Posted 20/08/2008 at 10:07:35

"EFC is not a vehicle for DM to convey his ambition to the footballing world. "

"His ...behaviour show a man who?s ambitions are conspiring against him."

I want Everton to be ambitious, to challenge Sky 4, to win cups, we either accept mediocrity or we follow our dreams. If its for mediocrity with this squad we are well capable of finishing in top 10 and making the numbers