FAN ARTICLES

Everton FC — Tipping Point

By Anthony Newell :  22/08/2008 :  Comments (16) :

After listening to 'Blue Watch' tonight the vibes that are coming from Moyes don't sound good at all. The comments from George Orr sum up what a lot of Blues are feeling right at this moment — completely and utterly pissed off. I get the impression that Moyes is already contemplating the crisis scenario of us not being able to get to January with a playing eleven should injuries take their toll. It also sounds like we will be relying on inexperienced youngsters for the foreseeable future, what with Cahill at least another four weeks away.

I see no evidence or indeed positivity from Moyes that players will be arriving before the deadline, so, depressingly I am accepting that they won?t be. That means we are a side with no central midfield and therefore fair game for every side in the division. West Brom will be licking their lips in anticipation

We aren?t far off a tipping point when things will go to shit very quickly if we're not careful and I think what is needed now is reality management. No, in fact, call it crisis management. Should reinforcements not arrive — and let's assume not — our immediate priorities should be staying in the Premier League this season. Unfortunately this means fielding our weakest eleven possible (that wouldn't be too hard) in the first round of the UEFA Cup and going out as quickly as possible.

The money generated from this competition just doesn?t justify the possible drain on playing resources. Same goes for the Carling Cup. What a turnaround to be saying these things when May wasn?t so long back and we were all eagerly anctipating new transfers and kicking on.

With all of this in mind, my question is: how, in any other form of business, would this situation be allowed to develop without heads rolling at top level? There has been gross negligence to allow us to reach this point and as Tony Marsh points out, if it?s not Kenwright?s fault then it must be Moyes?s due to his dithering It?s simply either one or the other.

To blame it all on difficulties with agents just doesn't ring true when other clubs have been getting on with their transfer business. The money has either been there to spend or it hasn?t. If you can?t bring in players from transfer shortlist A then you move to transfer shortlist B or C. As someone else has correctly pointed out, why dick around trying to sign a player without first getting an indication that he wants to come to us at all in the first place (Tiago). If the likes of Sunderland can bring in Chimbonda, Malbranque et al and Hull the likes of Boateng and Geovanni then where the fuck are we? There are simply no excuses.

I detect a blasé acceptance of the inevitable from Moyes and that worries me a lot. It?s as if, ?well if things go down the pan, it?s not my fault, I tried.? Bollocks. My personal suspicion is that there has been money available to sign players but through our own manager?s steadfast refusal to be flexible in his thinking when it comes to transfers we have reached the current crisis point. It wouldn?t be the first time that it has taken the glaringly obvious to make our manager realise the shortcomings of his limited way of thinking.

SOMEBODY within Everton FC needs to take a firm grip of the reins right now because we are currently a Titanic heading for the iceberg. As we have seen in those relegation seasons that we thought we?d turned our back on, a bad run of results can soon have us staring down the barrel. A losing mentality can take a grip just as a winning one can. Hopefully, we can get through this crisis and then the inquisitions can come later. Maybe at the point, the person at fault for leading us to the edge of the abyss can be identified and then bum rushed out of our great club as quickly as possible.

Reader Comments

Simon Watts
1   Posted 23/08/2008 at 05:14:29

Everton on a business side does not work. The people they have in place to broker deals do not work. They use our club to get better wages or status. The fact is we are on par as a wigan or middlesbrough at moment. you have to accept that. Everton dont have brokers for the FA or the European part. Tottenham have better yet lower in league. We could be come the next Villarreal or even better but I would think the next stage is worrying!!!
Trevor Lynes
2   Posted 23/08/2008 at 06:46:05

Fully agree, anyone with an iota of sense never mind business acumen could see the crisis we have been slipping into. Last season ended dismally as the already small squad we had faltered...the euphoria of the fans who were licking their lips (me included) at the prospect of signing big name players in readiness for this seasons campaign has evaporated. Anger at first has changed to sombre dejection and disbelief as the blunders at the top have manifested themselves day by day...the club has no foresight or ambition and cannot attract decent players..no wonder Rooney left, the lad wanted to win things !! We cannot manage transfers while all other clubs can..obviously its total ineptitude thats being displayed and heads should roll.
Lue Glover
3   Posted 23/08/2008 at 06:52:18

I agree with all your comments. Although I have had every faith in DM as a manager I’m now worried that his steadfast refusal to bend in terms of ’I won’t lower my standards’ has or rather, will, cost us dearly over the next few months.
If things do go pear shaped in the run up to January, who will want to join Everton then? If we can’t attract players after finishing 5th, how can we expect to draw in the players that DM wants when we are (maybe) struggling in mid table?
The other worry is that our main assets Lescott and Arteta will be tempted away in that same period because of the lack of forward progress.
Now was the time to kick on and build on the squad, not just with numbers and not just with big names but we have done niether and the clock is still ticking. This morning there’s talk of ’breaking our transfer record today’. I will fly my (clean) undergarments from the nearest lampost if we sign anyone, tranfer record or not, in the next 24 hours.
Colin Grierson
4   Posted 23/08/2008 at 06:31:21

Good Article Anthony.

Moyes may still leave as far as we and any prospective new signings know. We are a club in crisis and nobody in their right mind would choose to sign for us at present. The manager wont pledge his future to the club so why should anyone else? Why cant he see this? Make your mind up Moyes!!!

As for Kenwright, I dont doubt that he is a fan but his stewardship of our club has brought us to this juncture and for that he must shoulder the blame. The commercial side of EFC is a disgrace and has been for a long, long time.

The stadium issue has divided the fan base over the last 12 months and still hangs in the balance. People talk on here of possible investment! If there are any eccentric, stupid billionaires out there we may stand a chance of investment! We are simply NOT viable for investment END OF.

On the pitch we were useless for the last third of last season and managed 5th because of other clubs slip ups in the run in. We are weaker now than we were then!

I want us to win games and play with style and passion. I also want to win the lottery. The problem is I dont buy lottery tickets and neither do Everton! You’ve got to be in it to win it.

After watching last weeks debacle my fears were confirmed. Hoof ball returns! We made Blackburn look like Brazil in the first half, while we looked like England!

Its gonna be a long old season.

Why do we do it to ourselves?

COYB
Paul Walsh
5   Posted 23/08/2008 at 07:32:11

Sorry Anthony but don’t agree with your criticism of Moyes at all. Read his interview with the Daily Mail and see what you think then. I think the only thing Moyes is guilty of is( like the majority of us supporters) in believing our club motto still applies and for that I’m eternally grateful to him. Train your sights instead on the real culprit in this sorry saga... Mr. Kenwright, who is supposed to be an Evertonian like me and you and then think about the last six years.Ask yourself, hand on heart .who’s acquited his duty to the best of his ability ? Our young ambitious manager or our ponderous, vainglorious chairman? The truth is, David Moyes is too good for this club and by that I mean Mr. Kenwright and those who are supposed to be custodians of this once proud and noble institution. It’s Moyes who has raised our hopes and expectations against all the odds.Now it seems he’s called Mr. Kenwright’s bluff and an inevitable parting of the ways beckons. Perhaps it might be best for all parties that it is sooner than later because surely Mr. Kenwright will be shamed into doing the decent and proper thing and fall on his sword. Then perhaps we’ll have the chance of keeping the club alive at least.
Anthony Newell
6   Posted 23/08/2008 at 08:48:24

Paul, Moyes has openly admitted that he blames himself for the current position we are in wrt squad size because he set his sights too high. It’s all well and good insisting that we recruit ’quality’ but there also needs to be some balance in this approach. Currently, we face the real fear (and Moyes has said it) of getting to January and not being able to field a side. If it’s not his fault then why take the blame? I just don’t see Moyes as the type of man to carry the can for the chairman’s failings. If your heart isn’t in it anymore then just go and tell us the ’real’ reasons to which you allude Paul. Maybe, then somebody would have enough time to salvage a possible car crash of a football season that is unfolding
Paul Walsh
7   Posted 23/08/2008 at 08:48:28

Anthony, Moyes has had six years of dealing with Mr. Kenwright.He must at some point after the end of last season been encouraged to believe those player targets were realistic. It maybe that as it became apparent that he’d have to revise his plans that he dragged his heels but I wouldn’t blame him for that.However I do agree with you that was the time for him to go not now. I must go now to get to the game. Hopefully we’ll be able to get something out of it to cheer us all up a bit.Hope to engage with you again soon Anthony! COYB!
Dave Wilson
8   Posted 23/08/2008 at 09:54:14

I’m off to the game myself now, I know a result will only paper over the cracks, but fuck it, I’m desperate for something to cheer me up

Come on boys
Allan Fry
9   Posted 23/08/2008 at 10:24:17

Good article. I have been a supporter of BK since the Agent Johnson scenario. Unfortunately I think his time has come. We are making bids for either people we know won’t come or that are too low to secure them. It started with Arshavin who is on 50K a week and in Champions League to Mouthino who’s clubs wanted 20mill we offer 14. The clubs that want to sell have a price and its a sellers market, remember how we all thought 5.5mill for Jimmy Mac was good business, or 13m (reported) for AJ was too good to pass up. Realism is a difficult pill sometimes to swallow, I am suspicious of why we continue to bring in players on loan, is it because we have no money to increase our capital fixed assets (players).
We haven’t gone after Bullard, he may not be Mouthino but he’s proven in the EPL and he’s available as well as being a bundle of energy he’d lift the squad. We won’t go for him we won’t get anyone thats realism, bitter isn’t it.
Moyes is already preparing his exit by his statement that we may not have a team to field in January, we seems broken by events off the field and his heart wasn’t in the Blackburn game.
I hope that I’m wrong on this and that I’m dancing around the room after the WBA result comes through...and that we sign some good players scratch that just some players.

(PS does the rumour of the player the RS were after smack of BK spin to anyone else?)

COYB
Paddy Howlin
10   Posted 23/08/2008 at 11:43:10

This summer has just taken the biscuit. It is clear from the Moyes press conference, that he is clearly pissed off with the situation, and I think it is only a matter of time before he walks. I’m not a Kenwright fan, but see if from his postion, does he give up the limited funds we have to a manager that has less than 12 months left on his contract and walk at any time, or does he bide his time, get Moyyes to sign and then release the money. Remember it took almost 2 years before Moyes could spend anything after Kenwright gave £7m to Walter in his last month before he sacked him (Ginola, Carsley and Linderoth). I think we have all been victims of the game playing between Moyes and Kenwright this summer. I think the time to re-adjust transfer priorities has come far too late - this call should have been made in July, not with a week to go before the window shuts. Its like Chrsitmas shopping on Christmas Eve at 4pm, all that is left is shite. We will end up with dross like Sean Davis that will take years to get off the books. Though we need to boost the numbers, we have got to learn from past mistakes, which have provided a short term fix but have taken years to overcome. However again, the way we have conducted ourselves this summer suggests we haven’t learned a thing!!. Lets pray for a result today, as I fear the fall out of another defeat (particularly if a heavy one), could kill our season, even before it has really started.
Phil Abbott
11   Posted 23/08/2008 at 11:45:08

Why is DM talking this way ? It’s astonishing and embarrassing. Not only is it going to drag the confidence of the team down even further, it sends a strange message to anyone we try to sign before September. "Please come to Everton, you’re not very good, not the quality we’re looking for, but come in and make up the numbers for a year or so." That sounds like a winner!
If we pass up the dream opening fixtures list it’s a long, long road.
Jay Harris
12   Posted 23/08/2008 at 13:34:45

IMO there is only one consistent theme since Kenwright took over and that’s deceipt,fantasy and incompetence all in equal measures.

Paul Gregg who only got involved with EFC because he was a friend of Kenwrights saw through him over the KD fiasco.
Then BK had the temerity to generate a campaign to discredit Gregg and "pretend" that he had investment (Fortress Sports fund)coming.

I have no doubt that he told Moyes we would make "BIG" signings he said as much to the supporters only 2 weeks ago with his "watch this space routine" and "I have seen the Dvd’s of players we’re looking to buy and I say wow".

Those supporters blaming Moyes and excusing Kenwright have very short memories.

Kenwright is a lying,deceitful disaster waiting to happen and now EFC is suffering because of it.

If he doesnt resign soon he’s an absolute disgrace of a man.
Bob Carlton
13   Posted 23/08/2008 at 14:04:12

Anthony, you may be correct that all our transfer problems are down to David Moyes, but you lost me when you say "my personal suspicion is that there has been money available to sign players".

The problem is that none of us know what’s happening behind the scenes, but Richard Dodd (who seems to have some information on Everton affairs) informs us that the money for transfers was released one week ago.
Yes, ONE WEEK AGO.
If this is true, then our transfer policy, regardless of what quality of player we wanted to sign, disappeared completely and any prepatory work on transfers was wasted effort.

I know DM has taken the blame, but I see that as working as part of the "management team" and actually accepting that he should not have allowed the situation to reach this sorry state, deflecting the blame from the whole management structure.
But I detect that, at long last, he has realised that he has been allowed to take the flak and others with the real responsibility have, once agian, disappeared into the background.
Emerson Smith
14   Posted 23/08/2008 at 15:08:36

As a life long everton fan, i, as much as much as anyone was excited by the prospect of what this season had to bring. I do not know all the in and outs of business behind the scenes in football, but to me it seems like gross neglegence and if this was a normal business then people would be sacked or there would be an enquiry into the situation. If this does not get a resolve before the window closes the the people of the "peoples club" (us) should make ourselves heard. Its an absolute disgrace that this is happening and a sure fire way of ruining the progress of our club. To make it more frustrating the club seems it fit to show the rumors on their website (what the papers say) who cares!!! just tell us the truth on what the hell is going on. Sorry this is not very informative, i just have to vent my frustration somewhere!
Brendan McLaughlin
15   Posted 23/08/2008 at 21:42:51

"We can get through this crisis and then the inquisitions can come later"- Anthony, you should have listened to your own advice!
David Edwards
16   Posted 24/08/2008 at 01:04:40

Know how you feel, Emerson - come September 2nd, we will be heard!!!!