FAN ARTICLES

What is the problem?

By Charlie Percival :  25/08/2008 :  Comments (40) :
What is the problem... because in my eyes we still have a great team without signing any new players.

Rodwell Is already a better player than Carsley barring experience. Just like when Rooney came on the scene, he was a million times better than Kevin Campbell. It's great youth are getting the chance.

Baines is going to get a run in the team this season and he's England's second choice left-back when playing to potential. This lad is a hell of a plyer if we get him playing his game. He's like a new signing.

We lost Andy Johnson who was useless anyway and was only good for us when we needed a player to consolidate us into a mid-table/top 6 team. That's why he's now at Fulham and no-one in the top half wanted him. Vaughan is back ? Vaughan is BETTER. If injury free, Vaughan will be our next Dunc, I can see it because he is Everton.

(An angry point...) Jagielka is the best centre-half at the club and I am disgusted that he has been thrown into a role that is no use to him or the team just because Lescott wants to play in the middle. I'm sorry, Moyes, you have to be strong you have to drop one of the centre halves or you play Jagielka and Lescott in central defence and put the more mobile, composed, agile and pacey Yobo in defensive mid.

It's not fair on Jagielka (our Cannavaro) to be dropped when he was our best centre-half last season. Lescott was at fault for 2 of the goals last week and should have been dropped for Jags..... not because I dont rate Lescott, but if Jagielka has had to sacrifice CD for Lescott and Lescott messes up, then what's going into Jags mind? Also ruining his England aspirations by looking like a crap player when he's arguably our best if playing CD. I feel for him as he would be the first name on my teamsheet in central defence. (Also if say Yobo/Lescott was on the bench, that immediately strengthens our bench, gives us fresh legs for all competitions and also prevents the risk of injury if all three play every week.)

Cahill coming back will be like another signing due to his injuries in the past seasons. Gravesen was good but I'd rather have Pienaar.

I'm not denying we're short on bodies to progress on all fronts but I do feel, barring injuries, we will be okay if we can make a few astute signings in January.

The below areas have been most talked about:

• I DON'T think we urgently need to buy a defensive midfielder (not a necessity as Rodwell is going to be a star and also Yobo can play there)
  • We DON'T urgently need a striker (Yakubu, Vaughan, Anichebe, Cahill, Baxter)
  • We DON'T need a creative midfielder.... why not? Because we have two creative central midfielders playing on the wings! These are Arteta and Pienaar/Osman.
So..... this is what we do:

We buy TWO wingers. I.e Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Joaquin, etc. Spend £20/30 million on 2 wingers that will get us 40 goals a season between them via goals themselves or assists. This is what we have been missing for as long as I remember being an Everton fan. Remember what Kanchelskis did for us and the difference he made? I think if we have two skillful/fast goal getting/creating wingers then we will be laughing.

The problems for us are on the wings, not centrally. I admit experience is key and we will be playing a lot of games, but let's not clog up or team with crap, let''s use this summer as turning point, or a new beginning where we get rid of the deadwood and freshen the place up.

I know 5 years ago we were relegation material and to call us that now is ridiculous. Look at our team and our youngsters and they are a lot better than you think. We have the best academy facilities in UK and I think a lot of fans don't have enough faith or belief in the team they support.

I'll watch Everton with a Youth team on the pitch; I've spent enough years watching a crap Everton team so I'm happy supporting the likes of Rodwell, Baxter, Vaughan and Anichebe, because these players are capable of turning into fantastic players ? unlike Branch, Cadamarteri, Jeffers etc.

Reader Comments

John Andrews
1   Posted 25/08/2008 at 14:50:10

If you honestly believe that Jagielka is the best central defender at our club then we must have been watching different games !
Both Yobo and Lescott are streets ahead of him. They both do have lapses of concentration occasionally but then again who doesn’t ?
Is this the same Anichebe who scored a massive ONE premier league goal for us last year ? In the first game of the season I believe. Off his shin if I remember it correctly.
Andy Johnson was made to look useless by having to chase bloody long balls, usually from Jagielka, and usually towards the corner flag !
Alexa Dunne
2   Posted 25/08/2008 at 15:03:28

Exactly.

We need depth for midfield the most and then at other positions only in case of injuries. I like the players we have right now, they can be very exciting to watch. My only concern comes with the "what if so and so gets injured."

I?m keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of midfielders, wings would be nice (pity Manny F isn?t here, he added a nice dimension on the wing) and a more experienced defensive mid if possible, but who we have now will work with a bit of tweaking and such. Your idea of Yobo in dmid sounds very interesting... I really don?t like Jags there, it doesn?t seem the right fit, and he was so good for us last year. I thought Lescott played defensive-mid for us with Carsley last year, and was surprised to see jags there with Rodwell instead of Lescott.

It?s really nice to see people seeing what I see when I look at the players we have. This is going to be a nerve wracking season if we get any more injuries, but I believe we can make a really good run of things. It?s going to be that much sweeter this year if we get as far as we did last year with "less" players.
Colin Grierson
3   Posted 25/08/2008 at 15:14:27

I was dubious when I read ’What is the problem’ rather than ’What are the prolemS!’

I’d love the youth to do well and I’ve no doubt some of them will but I see every match and we have struggled big time and over achieved in both games.

I will give 100% support to whoever steps up in an Everton shirt but will you and all the other apologists stop papering over the cracks (chasms!) in our plans to break into the big time FFS!!!

I hope we do well this season but it’ll be more by luck than judgement if we do and that’s not the way forward.
Trevor Lynes
4   Posted 25/08/2008 at 15:41:33

I see our first signing (subject to a medical) is a Jewish tailor named Jacobsen...never mind the QUALITY feel the width !! Cost nothing..BK will be delighted..way to go boys.
Andy Crooks
5   Posted 25/08/2008 at 15:58:32

Brilliant news ! We’ve signed another right back.This will free up Phil Neville for midfield.My God "this space" was worth watching.
Andy Crooks
6   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:02:32

Sorry Charlie,in my excitement at our new signing I forgot to comment on your post.The problem seems to me to be that right now there are still many Evertonians who don’t see what the problem is and therefore Bill Kenwright continues to feed his ego at this club.If your article was ironic,sorry for not getting it.If it is serious then....actually I can’t think of an approptiate response.
charlie percival
7   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:07:20

John Andrews....is this the Anichebe that was top scorer in the UEFA cup qualifying stages, is this the Anichebe that only played a handful of games last season sue to Johnson, Mcfadden etc. Is this the Anichebe that has scored many important goals for us and also won numerous penalties for us? Maybe im talking about a different player
Charlie Percival
8   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:10:56

Andy Crooks, I agree we all dont know what the current situation is regarding the club behind the scenes. But what we do know is what I stated above and all we can do is appreciate what we have got rather than think about the things we dont have. Otherwise we would all be depressed every day of our lives. That is also a motto for life!
Ste Barton
9   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:20:45

Andy

that was exactly my thought when I saw the breaking news.
That would leave Phil Neville free for midfield. God forbid.
Even if Jacobsen turned out to be a class right back and he does have some form, he played for Hamburg but was unlucky with injuries, I can’t see DM dropping his Captain....can you?
Gavin Ramejkis
10   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:33:04

Charlie don’t you remember when DM played Yobo in Midfield? He was utter shite and looked lost, leave him as a centre half the same position he plays as captain of his country.
Marc Williams
11   Posted 25/08/2008 at 16:58:33

Charlie Percival - Don’t give up the day job,
with this lack of insight I doubt they’ll be a future for you in football managment.
Get a grip eh fella !
Michael Hunt
12   Posted 25/08/2008 at 17:10:13

Interesting article Charlie but wishful thinking and wholly unrealistic in my view. We need real steel, stature and quality in centre mid. Rodwell has got all the potential in the world, but he is 17 years old and in the development stage for a year or two. The team (and he) needs a more experienced and developed player alongside him, in the Viera/Keane mould ideally. Lescott, Yobo, Jags and Neville are NOT midfielders! They may be able to do a ’job’ there, but putting square pegs in round holes won’t get us cracking the ’big 4!’
Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill and Osman are all top quality at what they do, but need more support in the physical stature and presence when we play the likes of most decent prem teams. The likes of Paul Scharner would be a decent stop gap if we can’t get the quality of player we really need just now.
John Andrews
13   Posted 25/08/2008 at 17:56:27

I think you have said it all there Charlie.
Top scorer in the qualifying stages.
How many important goals has he scored for us ? Obviously excluding the ONE he scored last season.
He has not won one penalty for us this season. I think we have only had ONE penalty this season.
Yes you certainly are talking about somebody else.
Dave Wilson
14   Posted 25/08/2008 at 17:37:51

Guys you need to give these young lads a chance to develop, your asking too much of them

Since Rooney - the exception not the rule - too many people think a lads ready at 16-17, with very few exceptions, they’re not. how can they be ?

To say Rodwell is already better than Carsley is just unfair on the kid, he’s showing a great deal of promise, but Carsley had terrific positional sense, he was able to cut out danger in its early stages, that was a skill he developed over about 10 years .
Young Jacks been playing in the prem for 10 days, give the the lad a break
Nick Entwistle
15   Posted 25/08/2008 at 18:52:45

This is a post a neive post and like Andy I can’t think of an appropriate reply because it would be to take it seriously.
When saying Cahill would be like a new signig I almost gave up reading.
Neil Scott
16   Posted 25/08/2008 at 18:45:33

Charlie, the current problems with this club are very well documented so there?s no point engaging in a debate of your title.

However, one area where I would agree with you is that DM should try and be more ruthless in choosing between Lescott, Jags and Joey more often, but moving them out of position is not the solution.

But sadly he has to. Because we haven?t bought anyone. And we already had too few senior players. And our kids havent enough experience to cope and wont for quite some time. And thats putting too much pressure on the senior players who are fit. And thats putting other top players off joining us. And that?s affecting morale....

....are you starting to see any of the problems yet?
Jay Harris
17   Posted 25/08/2008 at 18:51:17

Charlie
you’re either on another planet or Kenwright’s press agent.

We cant even name a squad without a handful of teenagers in it.

I wish they were all budding Rooneys but they’re not.

I do agree however with your point on jags palying CB and Lescott NOT (playing CB).
I would put him at LB where he can go marauding up the pitch and weigh in with a few goals and I would pitch Baines in at LM while pienaar is out so we can make effective use of his crossing ability.

My main concern and that of many other blues is who were going to get to fill CM.

I wish we hadnt blown Manny out (again)and I hope this M’Bia comes although I dont see him being a long term solution with his attitude.
Alan Ross
18   Posted 25/08/2008 at 19:37:39

Charlie

You don’t happen to be Everton’s club captain do you? If this is a serious attempt at football pragmatism I would suggest you keep clear of club management when you retire.
Elray Jackson
19   Posted 25/08/2008 at 20:22:37

Should have kept that post to yourself mate! Thank God your not in charge!
Cyril Walne
20   Posted 25/08/2008 at 20:44:24

Charlie - if you?d just said:

- Rodwell is a potentially good replacement for Carlsey
- Baines is like having a new player (maybe)
- Jags is out of position in midfield and shouldn?t be put there
- Cahill coming back is like getting a new player
- we could do with some width by signing a great winger or two

then I agree. However, we do need support in other areas - we can?t rely on Anichebe, Baxter or Vaughan (much as we?d like to think they are the future), and we need more creative options outside Osman, Cahill, Arteta and Pienaar.

Bottom line, everyone is pissed (including Moyesey) because we haven?t progressed by adding depth and quality. Maybe it's not a disaster (like the opening comment of the Match Preview for the West Brom game!), but we defo need new players in key areas.

Please, Moyesey, don?t play Neville in midfield.
Paul Gladwell
21   Posted 25/08/2008 at 21:06:03

I sometimes wonder how many of these people who post these posts actually go the game, Gravesen ok ! Rodwell better than Carsley! we dont need a creative midfielder! Jags Cannavaro and that old chestnut about players coming back like being new signings and finally we dont need a new striker, well what do we do if the yak gets injured? these lads have promise but against the big boys the inexperince shows.
Andy Crooks
22   Posted 25/08/2008 at 22:21:56

Spot on Paul. I think the next week is going to bring a few more surprises and I doubt that they are going to bring joy to our hearts. I won?t criticize todays signing because I know nothing about him but even if he is a decent fullback he is certainly not what we need.
Today's signing stinks of desperation and believe me by the weekend we are going to appear even more desperate. Prepare to be gobsmacked.
Back to Charlie?s original post, I?ve thought of an appropriate response but think it?s best left unsaid.
Karl Masters
23   Posted 25/08/2008 at 23:29:58

You’ve had a bout of Kenwrightitis there Charlie!

However, I do agree about a decent winger and I think James Vaughan will make a big impression if fit. It’s a big if at the moment though and the likes of Rodwell will not last a whole season without suffering burnout so we can’t expect too much of them.

Frankly, I think that most Evertonians would agree that this has been the worst close season ever. We may have had bad ones before, but not after coming 5th and looking so promising. It’s been a bloody disgrace and one year deals for injury prone B-list players don’t inspire much confidence.

If I was Moyes I’d insist that we pay the £19.7m for Moutinho’s buy out clause even if it meant no other cash transfers and all the others were loans and freebies. That one signing alone would actually put down a marke and show we mean business. If we have any more money then get M’Bia or Smith.
Jason Lam
24   Posted 26/08/2008 at 03:50:45

I don’t quite follow where Jags is anywhere related to Cannavaro, the Italian World Cup winning skipper and FIFA World Player of the Year 2006.
Tony Rice
25   Posted 26/08/2008 at 05:05:32

Give Charlie a break... He?s probably younger than Rodwell!
Lue Glover
26   Posted 26/08/2008 at 08:28:28

Charlie, it’s a nice change to hear about some positive attitudes amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding our beloved Blues but I think I might want a pint of whatever you’re on because even at my most mellow, I can’t see beyond the lack of numbers and quality of the players DM seems to be bringing in, er well, the player he’s brought in so far.
You said it yourself that barring injuries. we’d be okay with what we’ve got...well, we have started the new season with injuries to key players in Pienaar and Cahill not to mention Hibbo and VDM.
When I heard the ’Everton are about to make a signing’ last night, I was beside myself for a few minutes thinking that we had signed someone that I had at least heard of before.......
Apart from numbers we also need someone that will get the heart racing and restore some hope and pride for the faithful.
I have faith in DM but I’m struggling to see where we’re going this season.
As for Riera and MBia, I hope we don’t sign the kopite knob and the mercenary so and so. We want players that want to play for Everton don’t we?
Hmmmm, wonder what David Nugent is up to these days?
Jason Lam
27   Posted 26/08/2008 at 08:51:34

Just had my daily red bull so I’m thinking clearly now. We need to break the bank or what’s left of Goodison Park on Moutinho. We all know wikipedia is the resource for information on everything under the sun, this fellow is a bloody dynamo in midfield, in the mould of a modern Alan Ball. If you told me we sold AJ to vacant the number 8 I would believe it, coz that’s what they did with Deco and number 20 at Chelski. So no worries lads the future’s bright (through my blood-shot eyes that is)
Paul Tran
28   Posted 26/08/2008 at 09:13:32

What this team desperately needs is a couple of midfielders and a striker with quality, presence and personality to stamp their attitude on the team. We have a team of good, honest players that need some leaders. The question is - is Moyes able/willing to give up an inch of authority to players with this strength of character?

I believe the phrase is ’watch this space’........
Marlon Wilson
29   Posted 26/08/2008 at 11:07:52

Are you sure your name isn?t Charlie Jagielka??? Now I?ll be the first to admit Jags was superb in the absence of Jo (Yobo) but our BEST centre back?!?!? I mean come on, forgetting his positional short-comings the man can?t pass further than 2 yards. An above average Squad player yes, the best at the club... A resounding NO!!!!!

Oh by the way is anyone else concerned that the arrival of a right back will signal the return of Phil "pip" neville to the centre of midfield? I hope for all our sakes this is NOT the case.

C O Y B
Mac Smith
30   Posted 26/08/2008 at 11:13:38

I agree we need to invest in quality wide men, but you say £20/30million for 2 wingers that will get us 40 goals! Strikers that score 20 a season are like rocking horse shit, never mind wingers. Please could you give examples of any winger that we can purchase for £10-15mill that will score us 20 goals?!!
Id love to see SWP at our club, he?d probably chuck in about 6 / 7 goals a season, but its the supply we need!
Ciaran Duff
31   Posted 26/08/2008 at 11:50:30

Charlie,
While I agree that there is plenty of talent at the club and it is great to some promising youngsters coming through, I think you are getting a bit carried away mate. We absolutely need need a holding midfielder as our no. 1 priority. Jags or Yobo cannot play there and Rodwell is too young - it will take a few years for him to grow & develop into that role. In the games to date, it has been the centre of the park where most of the opposition penetration has started from.
Secondly, I believe that we do need a creative midfielder as a second priority. We need someone who can take the pressure of Arteta - most teams know that if they stop Arteta then our chances dry up. Similarly we need a creative option if Arteta is injured.
Steve Linden
32   Posted 26/08/2008 at 13:09:45

You said barring injuries. Well that’s exactly what we have which is why we need more players unless I’m missing something?
Tim Lloyd
33   Posted 26/08/2008 at 13:04:59

Don?t worry. Signing anybody even half decent is going to be bloody hard, However, I still trust Moysie to sign the best players available.

If you guys all recognise that a really good central midfielder is a must, then don?t you think the Manager does too. The proiblem is getting a really good player within our budget.

I read that people don?t want M?bIa now because he expressed the view that if Rennes paid him what Everton have intimated, he would rather stay with them.. Ffs so would I in his position. I bet most of these weird critics are people who would drop everything if their weekly wage could be increased by 10% should they be offered another job by another employer...
Shaun Kinnair
34   Posted 26/08/2008 at 14:05:43

Mibia.... Its been reported in the local newpapers in Newcastle that there about to make a bid for the player we’ve been tracking all summer.
John Lloyd
35   Posted 26/08/2008 at 14:51:50

"It?s not fair on Jagielka (our Cannavaro)"

Whats going on here recently?? Have I just read someone comparing one of the modern great defenders, World Cup, Euro winner, Serie-a winner, Champions League winner with Phil Jagielka??

Can't believe we?re doing bad with Phil Cannavaro & Leon Maradona Osman in the team. Never mind Phil Cafu Neville!!!
No offence but I didn't read the rest after that as our opinions on football are obviously poles apart!!
Ciarán McGlone
36   Posted 26/08/2008 at 15:34:45

Jagielka should be on the bench...end of story.
Larry Bird
37   Posted 26/08/2008 at 21:47:27

We have 3 centre halves who are good pro’s but each has weaknesses. Jagielka although solid is lacking more than the other 2. He tackles and blocks as well as anyone but his distribution is very poor and his brand of hoofball is a large part of the reason that Johnson scored so few goals last season. Cannavaro he is not.

Baines is a good attacking fullback and from what I have read about this new lad he is in the same mold. Any chance Moyes is considering 3 at the back with 2 wing backs? I think that it could work.

In Midfield Rodwell is promising, one for the future (but nothing more). I agree that a holding midfielder is our top priority. PN, Jags or Yobo are not the answer. We need to replace Carsley but lets be honest Carsley was not the world class player that some of you make him out to be. A good pro but zero creativity and another proponent of that hoofball game.
We need bodies in midfield because Arteta, Tim, Peanuts and Ossie are brittle and spend as much time injured as they are available.

Up front I agree that Vaughn has great potential but he too spends more time in the treatment room than on the pitch. For this reason we do need a good striker as priority 2.

Denis Richardson
38   Posted 27/08/2008 at 17:08:51

Charlie Percival, I assume that your post is a joke or supposed to be ironic? Otherwise, like a few others above, I really don’t know where to start in reply. To keep it brief, for a long long time, the position were we most need a decent, strong and proven player is in CM - simple. Excluding major injuries we can pretty much cover all other positions across the park - especially playing 451. With a good CM who can put his "foot in" and above all PASS the likes of Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill and Osman and do their "thing" with more confidence knowing that a good defensive midfielder is covering behind them. This will also take some pressure off the back four There is no way a 17 year old with 10 days of PL experience can fill this gap - no matter how good & how much potential they have, it’s simply a too big an ask and unfair to the kid.

On another note, any reason why we have not been linked with Appiah - he is a class act with proven ability (Juve & Ghana) and is on a free! Strange how he’s being linked with W.Ham and (surprisingly) not a mention of Everton. Whether he would come to us is another question.
Jim Burns
39   Posted 27/08/2008 at 19:31:58

Charlie

You are spot on with your comments regarding our need for natural width...Arteta is not the answer out there...often ’frozen out’ and only becomes truly effective when he is allowed into the middle or at least allowed to drift in from the right...he is the man to make things happen in the middle and through the channels. With Yak, and Cahill our shape cries out for natural width and good delivery into the middle. The reluctance that some players had to push down the flanks instead turning back across the middle was, at times soul destroying, against both Blackburn and The Baggies. What price now an Andrei or even a Anders(shaun wright Phlips?)
Blair Johnson
40   Posted 28/08/2008 at 10:02:14

Jags is just ok...not Cannavaro-esque... did you not watch him dither and let Dunn score in the Blackburn loss?

We could do with another creative midfielder... Jacobsen and potentially Castillo and Obinna are good squad players... but Moutinho would have been great.

Dithering Dave and Bullshit Bill may surprise us... but don?t expect Moutinho, SWP, M?Bia or anyone expensive... Joe Ledley is more likely...

Get Cahill and Pienaar fit... QUICKLY please!