FAN ARTICLES

I need a hero

By Karl Parsons :  28/08/2008 :  Comments (21) :

A lot has been said over the summer about the mismanagement of my Club and it breaks my heart to have to say that I agree with a lot of it.

However, doesn?t there come a point in time when somebody has to stands tall, or grab the blue bugle from the hand of the fallen and produce a commanding rallying cry in the face of impending doom?

Arteta tried to do it last week when he said stop feeling sorry for yourselves! I saw it in the face of Captain Marvel, on Saturday at the Hawthornes when, on all fours he looked directly into the away end after winning a corner for his team in the last minute. I saw it on the way back to the coaches when a 10 year old Evertonian grabbed the badge on his shirt and kissed it as I walked passed.

Just because big Duncan is now sunning his number nine tattoo does that mean we all now have to turn into tarts arses? Of course not!

What has shocked me the most about all this is our real lack of backbone. The 3,000 with me last Saturday where the quietest away Blues I have ever experienced! Not a sign of what makes us such an admired away crew. What?s the reason for that?

For me it?s a real lack of leadership ? but not in the corridors of power but here on the pages of my Club's zines. What makes us special is our passion, commitment, will to win and the legacy of what our fathers told us whilst putting us to bed of an evening.

On Monday the transfer deadline ends and the season begins! We?ve already lost two opportunities to out-shout the opposition. If it means I have to make every fucker in the Park End rouse with me on Saturday I will do it. Because believe me, as much as we can slag off the Generals for their strategic incompetence it was, and always will be, the soldiers who change the shape of the battle.

NSNO

Reader Comments

Nathan Snell
1   Posted 29/08/2008 at 07:43:23

Great article!!!! We need to make sure ’we - the fans’ have a positive impact on the players that we ’do’ have as opposed to concerntrating on those we don’t!!!
Dave Lynch
2   Posted 29/08/2008 at 08:40:04

Won’t be Millner then.
RS are in for him.
Andy Herbert
3   Posted 29/08/2008 at 08:41:44

Yes!!!! Finally, come on lets get behind the boys, and no more of this feckin doom and gloom. Two games into the season three new signings and the big two that we have been promised still to come.

Dave Milner was never coming to Everton in the first place. Villa were better placed than us anyway!
James Byrne
4   Posted 29/08/2008 at 09:16:35

Great article Karl and one that should inspire quite a few blues.
John Pickersgill
5   Posted 29/08/2008 at 09:35:56

Well said Karl, time for ALL Evertonian?s to show how they feel about the club, turning up for the game is not the only thing required! We can?t expect the team to deliver ON the pitch if the fan?s don?t do it OFF the pitch.
Trevor Lynes
6   Posted 29/08/2008 at 09:46:08

I reckon its shell shock. The fans are stunned. The HERO we really need is a name signing of Moutinho?s calibre, just one, that would lift the fans and also the other players. All would be forgiven and BK could go out without his balaclava. Lets face it, if you spend almost a full game on the back foot its really hard to get excited. Both games this season have been the same: we were very lucky against WBA and it's no use putting on blue tinted glasses and ignoring the fact. If we had been WBA supporters we would have cried too.

We desperately need a real SPARK... someone to bring back the optimism and become a real legend ? not like the big oaf you mentioned, a player with flair and leadership qualities. A Ball or a Young... or better still a combination of them. I'm sure Moutinho could be the one to do it... he could be our Fabregas. He has the flair. Then the others can protect him and Arteta and Pienaar so that we can once again be the School of Science and not Hoofball United.

Martin Gray
7   Posted 29/08/2008 at 10:18:10

Does Louis Saha fit the bill? Maybe ...
Phil Chappell
8   Posted 29/08/2008 at 10:22:33

I was at WBA last Saturday... we were a bit quiet for the 1st hour!!... and we needed something to lift us as we have been battered black & blue with demoralising talk all summer: the new stadium, lack of signings, Moyes not signing his contract, etc.

The turning point for me was (terrier) Vaughanie?s introduction. Suddenley, the YAK had more space & bingo ? goal! The fans just needed a spark it felt like we had turned the corner. Signings have started to come. A couple more of quality midfield signings & keeping Vaughan fit will lift the Blues in more ways than one.

John Pickersgill
9   Posted 29/08/2008 at 10:37:04

Martin, you are spot on! Sky Sport say Louis Saha will sign a 2-year contract subject to a medical.
Nick Flack
10   Posted 29/08/2008 at 10:26:14

Probably the most sense I?ve read on here all summer. I?ve been fed up of hearing about our forthcoming doom, how bad it is, "it?s the end of the world as we know it".

Tell you what, at the end of the world, I won?t be sat in waiting for the inevitable, I?ll be out smashing windows, robbing cars, getting drunk and having a go. Go out fighting!

I?m not suggesting the fans on away day go pillaging high streets up and down the country, but it?s back to the walls time, and time for the dog to show it?s teeth. The players are doing their bit, Vaughnie is a blue No 9 if ever I?ve seen one, Arteta his just class and up for a fight, and Cahill will only add more steel. We?ve got the players to have a real go at breaking the CL 4, (notice I didn?t say big 4), ok, we get a few injuries, we struggle, but what if we don?t get the injuries, and everyone pulls in, and something good happens...

I?m fed up being told by our own fans that we?re doomed, and fed up of my neighbours, (who all happen to be turned onto the dark side), laughing at me on my driveway. So for the first time in about 15 years I?ve bought an Everton shirt. Never bothered for years cos 1, they?re pretty crap generally, 2, I stopped spending 40 quid on a t shirt when I stopped goin to Cream.

It?s easy to feel proud when everything's looking bright, but let?s face it, the skies aren?t that grey...

Proud to be an Evertonian, always have been, always will be. My Grandad said to me at a very young age, "Anyone can support Liverpool". I made a fine choice and I stick by it.

Come on YOU BLUES!

Not just the 11 on the pitch.
Laurie Hartley
11   Posted 29/08/2008 at 12:29:54

Then fall in lads behind the drum
With colours blazing like the sun.
Along the road to come what may
Over the hills and far away.
Steve Edwards
12   Posted 29/08/2008 at 13:12:26

Even if he can stay fit and its a big IF... I don’t think his style of play would gel in a 442 with Yak as his partner. Yak likes someone beefy who can hold the ball up and play him in ie Vaduka. I think this just smacks of desperation and the money, whatever it was, could have been put to better use. Saha’s wages wouldn’t come cheap. You know what they say.. God loves an optimist .. Everton kicked all that overoptimism out of me along time ago I’m afraid.
Jason Broome
13   Posted 29/08/2008 at 14:12:01

I disagree Steve. I think Saha is the perfect partber for the Yak.

Injury aside, Louis Saha is still one of the best strikers in the Premiership. Apart from being a player with Champions League experience, the boys a winner. He is a step up from Andrew Johnson, is clinical, quick and has Anelka?s pedigree.

I couldn?t understand why we didn?t go in for Cisse (regardless of the sordid past), but now I know. For me this is officially the first signing of the summer.

Now Moyes has 4 days to bag himself a Milner and an M?Bia, or Moutinho for him to have delivered in the final hour! I sense a contract signing.
Aide Dews
14   Posted 29/08/2008 at 14:55:32

Apparently there?s rumours going about that Moutinho has been spotted at Finch Farm today possibly to undertake a medical and discuss personal terms?! Let's bloody well hope so!!!
Philip Chappell
15   Posted 29/08/2008 at 14:56:30

Nice positive post!! I agree with you Jason... Saha (well worth the punt) & the Yak up front with Vaughan in the hole behind (like Cahill or until his fit). Now for Moutinho & Milner?? - then not bad ?Indian? summer after all!!?.... OBG
Kevin Jones
16   Posted 29/08/2008 at 14:53:19

"Yes" at last a bit of good old British spunk. Don’t let the enemy see you bleed it just encourages them, fight to the last man, die for the cause and when the chips are down stand shoulder to shoulder and shout "bring it on you Pompey Bastards is that all you’ve got". 100% from everybody concerned with The Royal Blue Uniform tomorrow and Pompey won’t know what’s hit them. They don’t like it up’em
Ivan Parsons
17   Posted 29/08/2008 at 17:26:34

Sounds like something my brother 12,000 miles away would write. Looks like we have something to build on with some signings coming in. Maybe not what we expect but lets stay positive and get right behind that team we’re all so passionate about.
Karl Parsons
18   Posted 29/08/2008 at 19:19:35

It was something your brother wrote 12,000 miles away!
Laurie Hartley
19   Posted 30/08/2008 at 02:32:53

There’s forty shillings on the drum
To those who volunteer to come,
To ’list and fight the foe today
Over the Hills and far away.
The parsons clam from australia