FAN ARTICLES

Half-Empty and Bitter

By Paul McMenamy :  30/08/2008 :  Comments (12) :
I wanted to post numerous replies over the summer with regards to DK, Moysie, Kenwright, lack of signings etc but held off until now. It would have been very easy to jump on the negative bandwagon with what seems to be the majority of our great support on this and many other EFC websites and granted, with all so called turmoil this summer, who would have blamed me? However, after months of reading negative quotes and infighting between our own fans (most nights until the early hours) I have decided to get a life and concentrate my time and energy on getting behind and supporting this great club of ours.

But before I go and start the singing in the family enclosure just a few points, I am 33 years old and have been going the match since 1978 (yes 3 years old) in that time we have had 4 seasons in which we have won silverware, in fact since 1971 we have been at the top of English football only twice in 37 years. So, with my reckoning, apart from 3 years in the eighties, this is probably the most successful team we?ve had for the last 4 decades and what do we do, we whinge and fucking moan.

Over the last 5 or 6 years contrary to what most people believe David Moyes and Bill Kenwright have slowly but surely took Everton fc from annual relegation candidates to almost Champions League candidates in the only way they could have really by sheer hard work, determination, belief and producing one of the best squads and last season playing some of the best football I have seen at GP for 30 years with (compared to most) virtually no money.

So, and I know I am about to be slated for this, I would like to thank Mr Moyes and Mr Kenwright for all their efforts over the last few years in what must be at the moment very difficult times with all the abuse that is coming their way by a lot of our supporters. And who could blame them if they walked away tomorrow, where would we be then?

Again between them it seems they might just about have turned water onto wine for about the third season in a row with 4 new signings (up to now) and one of the best youth set ups in the Premier League. So, starting today against Pompey, let's get behind our team and by team I mean players, manager and chairman, and stop using Everton as a vehicle to vent your frustrations for everything that is going wrong in your lives.

Like I said, I know I am about to be buried for this blatant show of support, but I do know what I don?t care anymore ? what?s the alternative? Staying up until the early hours griping and contradicting myself with my fellow moaners (sorry I meant supporters) or letting the people who run our club get on with doing what I think is the best they can do under the circumstances?

I?ll do my part on a Saturday and get behind my fucking team. Reasons to be cheerful: Yakubu, Arteta, Cahill, Osman, Piennar, Lescott, Yobo, Jags, Baxter, Vaugahan, Rodwell, Howard, Anichebe, Saha? Jacobsen? Castillo? Obinna? Oh and Liverpool's stadium going tits up.

Doesn?t look that bad on paper boys does it. COYB

Reader Comments

Doug Nestor
1   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:01:08

Didn’t see the match today then????
Paul Hardcastle
2   Posted 30/08/2008 at 16:59:25

All I can say is I’d feel a bit of a tit after posting that, if I were you. "stop using Everton as a vehicle to vent your frustrations for everything that is going wrong in your lives." ? that just about sums up the level of blind stupidity your so-called ’support’ constitutes. A fat lot of good it did today, eh?

Reasons top be cheerful, when Yakubu takes a crucial penalty in that manner...??? Get a grip, lad. All the wonderful work our esteemed leaders have put in is now rapidly going to waste. And all you can do is wail at the supporters? A pox on you!
Steve Hopkins
3   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:02:19

Me thinks he should’ve waited until seeing todays result before posting! LOL
Nigel Gregson
4   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:00:55

0-3 at home to Pompey. Wrong time to post this mate ... Life and football are both very cruel :(
Eric Morecambe
5   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:11:23

Oh dear, Paul

Remember, for future reference,
the most important thing in comedy is.......timing
Ste Jones
6   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:18:44

Yepbad luck on the timing Paul. No way you should have the temerity to suggest we should get behind the team when things are not going well.

Dont you know what it is to be an Everton fan on Toffeeweb now?. You have to blame the board venemously and want rid of them - then blame the manager with equal venom. Then you have to state loudly that things must get better......or.......erm...you’ll skweam and skweam and skweam!

Oh yeah and at no point should you offer anything practical such as who we get to replace BK or DM?.

Bad luck mate.
Jason Broome
7   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:25:39

LMAO!!

Why do some posters believe that Evertonians don’t have lives???

For some of us the only let down is the club that most of us would bleed for.

Like any passion it only works best when it comes with honesty and real emotion, and right now that is all I am reading (and long may it continue).

All I can say about this article is... impeccable timing.
Jason Broome
8   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:38:40

Just want to add something.

You say get behind the team but so far the same team have watched in horror as the Chairman failed to support them, the manager has yet to commit to them (which sends a god awful message), and the fans (naturally) have done the same.

To get behind the club at this stage is to validate failure!

Paul, I fear a backlash from disgruntled fans to your article.

?Piñata? anyone!!
andy willox
9   Posted 30/08/2008 at 18:18:22

There’s not a lot to say to that after today, but a good shout about comedy timing though!
Andy Crooks
10   Posted 30/08/2008 at 18:05:16

Paul,in many ways I admire you.Thirty three and still so innocent.A year ago I defended our chairman,probably not as well as you have,but I still defended him.Now,I feel like an utter tit for doing so.Bill Kenwright is a luvvy and a bullshitter who has used our club as a plaything to satisfy his ego.He has lied (EJ Ruane succinctly demonstrated this recently) and he has let down David Moyes.
I have had some stick recently on this site and have been accused of negativity,and melodrama.I have mate who will accept no criticism of Everton,in fact we have nearlly come to blows recently.He has accused me of not being a proper supporter.(You support your club no matter what).I believe that he is a fan(fanatic).A proper supporter wants the best for the club and will speak out when there is something rotten there.There is something wrong at Goodison park.Something rotten.I fear for this season.
Andy Crooks
11   Posted 30/08/2008 at 19:03:34

Barry,disagree with you entirely but that was a bloody brilliant post!
Jeff Spiers
12   Posted 30/08/2008 at 20:37:54

Our beloved club will be in the hands of the receivership very soon. Why? Because we are fucking skint!