FAN ARTICLES

Pompey Pummeling - Post Mortem

By Sean Lloyd :  30/08/2008 :  Comments (11) :

Having come back from the game today, through my frustration I thought I'd type my sorrows away (with any luck!).  Today for me wasn't a football match ? it was damage limitation.  For us to be doing this three games into the season and now approaching Stoke as a 6-pointer makes this look no more than unbelievable.  How could a club that finished 5th last season and the prestige it had for doing so on our budget now be at the mercy of pretty much every team in the Premier League?

Despite the result today, I tried to glean some positives: the link-up play between Osman and Baines and their willingness to attack and spread Portsmouth as a point of attack was very encouraging. It's a shame too few showed their enthusiasm and their heads dropped by the first goal.

Why did Yakubu take that penalty? Arteta, anyone? His dithering run confirmed my worst fears... before he had even struck the ball, I had my head in my hands.  A wasted opportunity to bring ourselves back into the game and we shoot ourselves in the foot; classic Everton and as people say, only we could script it.

Lescott and Yobo again today, looked elusive and shadows of the dominant pair they were last season, over-exposed and under supported by that lynchpin (Carsley) we let get away. Why Moyes hasn't moved Lescott to left back, pushed Baines up with his willingness to actually carry the ball over half-way, and put Jags back into his favoured and most confortable position is one I'll never understand.

We played some nice football on the floor today, although when heads dropped we began the hoof-ball, which is even more frustrating given that Portsmouth are probably the tallest and most robust set of players in the air in this league! Osman vs Distin and Kaboul was a sight for sore eyes.

Hearing that Neville will be used in midfield (with the addition of Jacobson) just wreaks of desperation. Listening to Moyes's comments surrounding the purchases of these players (well... free transfers and loans) he comes across in a very downbeat way and makes you wonder why he signed them in the first place... way to raise the spirits and show faith in people Davey!

Anyways, back to the match, I'll save the next big point to the end of the article.

So.. as a unit, I believe Everton have lost an awful lot of faith in themselves, willing them forward over the half way line only forced the team to play neat little box balls to one another and not actually do anything meaningful. In truth we were woeful for large periods of time.

Yakubu, reverting to Michael Owen's style of play towards the end of his Liverpool career, had the writing on the wall long before the final whistle had even blew. The guy is an out-and-out goal machine on his day, so to see him coming so deep into midfield to pick up the ball to make something for himself was both embarrassing and annoying as watching Victor Anichebe, who came on late on, chased shadows between defenders, and possibly even his own.

The defeat I guess in some respects needs to be put in context; hopefully the people Moyes has brought in will add a little steel and belief that will rub off to players around them.  I hope to god Moyes will actually play some of them as there is nothing more annoying than watching them sit idly on the bench when the game is screaming to be taken by the scruff of the neck only for Moyes to throw on a defender to add to the mass we already have on the field.

It was death induced by panic attack today, folks, defeatist attitude going into the game bolded little well on the outcome.  I am sorry to have to say it like that, being someone who always looks to the bigger picture, but today was seriously limited in what I could smile about... and that was the weather!!

The final point I will finish on will be the post match, what happens now? Moyes has clearly stated in a downbeat manner that what he has signed is only damage limitation and had a little go about the lack of funds to sign players upwards of so many millions. My message to you Moyes is this:

"Why don't you let the cat out of the bag?  You see that lot over the park, they support their manager when he comes out against the owners and says he isn't given the resources to put his team on a point he is happy with. What does he get for it? Commended and supported. I fear you speak too cryptically and often tease and teeter on the point of annoyance when you talk about what's going on at the moment.  The spiel is changing almost on a daily basis, I think it's about time you either gave it to us straight that you blame yourself for how we got into this mess so soon into the season or start making noises about the inefficiencies of upstairs.  At least then you may get a bit more sympathy and support from the average Blue."

Then again I guess the club may not have any money because it has spent it all on gagging orders to stop people talking about how much money we have actually got!  The mind boggles...

Reader Comments

Andy Crooks
1   Posted 30/08/2008 at 19:07:20

Spot on Sean,let’s have "the cat out of the bag"
Joe McMahon
2   Posted 30/08/2008 at 19:16:02

Personally I though Osman & Baines were preety awfull, When A team Like popmpy are full of 11 6 footers, we are just way too lighweight. Hard to think Baines actually cost more than Lescott & Cahill , what a waste of fucking money.
Dave Lynch
3   Posted 30/08/2008 at 17:52:14

Just returned from the match, and I'm in a terrible state to be honest. The defincecies and lack of depth where there for all to see. Even the nugget next to me who swore that Moutinho was at Finch Farm and would sign didn't cheer me up. (Felt like twatting him to be honest as he never stopped talking shite all game about players rumoured to be signing).

I fear that the signing of one top quality player is not going to be enough. We need at least 3 or 4, and Moyes along with BK has got less than 24 hours to pull it off. I won't be holding my breath.

Joseph Moore
4   Posted 30/08/2008 at 19:28:02

Just forget the result. Moyes will do the best with the players and budget he has. We need to accept we are not the richest club in the league and performed over budget last year. Keep believing in the team and its staff and management (Liverpool, Celtic, Man U do), because that belief wins points. The crowd needs to accept a couple of funny results at the start of the season. Wait and see, we will probably take more points from the big four this year!!!!
Steve Grimshaw
5   Posted 30/08/2008 at 19:38:05

It is not the result that pisses me of so much. It is the fact that we do not know if it is incompetence or lack of money that has led to us being at a stage where I believe the season is already lost!! If it is money then that is something we will all have to deal with. If it is incompetence, which is what I believe the club is telling us, then something can be AND MUST be done about it!! Sorry for the pessimism, and here yet again is to hoping I am wrong!!!!!! But this time I do not see how.
Jay Harris
6   Posted 30/08/2008 at 20:18:51

I?m still "Watching this space" as are the Everton midfield every game.

I still find it hard to believe that we?ve gone from 4th position (on merit) less than a year ago to a squad that would struggle in the Championship.

Kenwright has to go... even if he does pull a last minute rabbit out of the hat.
Dave Moorcroft
7   Posted 30/08/2008 at 20:28:03

So Wyness told the truth once when he said, "If we dont move to Kirkby, we will be playing the likes of Marine." We havent got a pot to piss in. We have 12 loans outstanding with various financial institutions. He can't sell anything else apart from the assets on the pitch, which he is now selling, with no adequate replacements. No wonder David hasn't signed the contract. Kenwright is fucked and so are we. And to all the people who say he walks on water ? You are just as guilty as him.
Simon Walker
8   Posted 30/08/2008 at 23:15:16

Just watched highlights on MOTD and didn?t look all that bad, some great keeping by James, good last-ditch defending by Kaboul, and a little unlukcy from Arteta & the Yak.

Not saying we deserved to win, but Pompey must have been reeling after their first 2 games; on the day they wanted it more and finished very well. The game could have been a whole lot different if Arteta had put that chance away early on.

3 games don?t make a season guys, and if anyone can turn it around, it?s Moyesy, Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Yobo & the Yak ? there?s a spine that would grace any prem team. We?ve not played well, played a threadbare squad and still got 3 points from 3 games.

Anyone remember what people were saying after getting beat 5-0 on the opening day of the season by Arsenal?
Simon Walker
9   Posted 30/08/2008 at 23:30:17

Sorry, 4-1 that game was weren?t it, still, I remember the pundits writing us off after one game.

Just saying that Everton can?t be judged with the squad we?ve had out so far, and once a few injury?s come back & clearance comes for the freebie boys it?ll be a different story, mark my words.

If we?re not in the top 8 after 10 games I?ll give £10 to a charity of Toffeeweb?s choice (I?m not very well off so that?s a lot of money to me).
Colin Grierson
10   Posted 31/08/2008 at 03:56:05

That was the best we?ve played yet thus far and we we?re crap again. Out-muscled and out-played from the start.

If anyone sees the Yak out and about, take a run up and volley him up the arse and tell him to remember that pain next time he?s about to take a pen, the cocky twat!

One final point though, How the fuck does BOO help? It is funny though seeing grown men shouting BOO! Nuggets!

Derek Thomas
11   Posted 31/08/2008 at 04:48:39

Steve Grimshaw: IT’S BOTH !!