FAN ARTICLES

David Moyes..... My Clouded Opinion

By David Wallbank :  02/09/2008 :  Comments (6) :
As every Everton fan must have felt on the lead up to the transfer window closing, we all must of felt so empty and gutted. I feel somewhat different now we spent some cash, and we seem to have got a blinding powerhouse of a player in Marouane Fellaini

Being beat by pompey 0-3 really hurt, but what made me more angry was David Moyes in his press call the day before the game! I might be the only person who feels this way, but his manner and attitude in answering the questions from the media was awful in my opinion. Closed answers, one word replies and basically antagonising the national media.

The press at the end of the day write lies and ruin people, but to get on the wrong side of them is what Moyes seemed hell bent on doing. He was doing this is a different way to let's say Alex Ferguson, who is a knob at the best of times, but he is a very powerful man. I know he blanks the BBC, but he seems to have found the balance with the media; Moyes seems to be way off the mark.

Would I have been bothered if Everton had won all three games and signed 10 players? I doubt it, but when you find yourself in times of trouble I have found it?s easier to panic without knowing your doing it?

I was so mad at him though, and I even found myself wondering after Saturday if he is the right man for the job (for the first time, I have never bemoaned Moyes ever!). Tactically on Saturday he got it wrong, but even the morons who sit in front of me were making the right calls for Baines to be pushed forward, dropping Lescott into left back, leaving Osman in the centre and Jags slotting into the centre of defence. I have calmed down now, since Saturday I have mellowed.

I have thought loads about what we have achieved in the last 5 years. I asked myself if it was enough? Would we have settled for this when Moyes arrived? I think so; we have become more solid and looked like the new model on how to run a football club. So how did a summer of madness cloud my judgement on our manager? Maybe the money over at Man City just makes you feel ?Why not us??

I'm sure a few decent wins will relax us all; on whatever issues that caused us all to feel the wolrld is against us! i.e. Kirkby, BK, Bully Beef, No New player and even my rant about Moyes being rude in a press conference.

But if the results don?t come, I wonder how long it will take for all our judgments to become clouded and we demand change. I hope we don?t have to, I truly hope we pull together now and push forward.

Reader Comments

Kevin Victor
1   Posted 03/09/2008 at 05:56:09

Mate. Give it a rest. We all have our own temperaments at times. Give Moyes a break.
Philip Chappell
2   Posted 03/09/2008 at 07:12:08

Well said Kevin!!Great reply short & to the point!!...Moyes is passionate about delivering his promises.Transfer market not as straight forward as everyone would like...Clubs & players holding us to ransom,by drawing out disscussions,eg, M’Bia,Moutinho’s club,etc..Very inflated market at the moment...with the likes of Chelski & new sheik on the block at City,,,,When in the real world the credit crunch...DRIVES US PEOPLE CRAZY!!Reflected in peoples comments.On a bright note Wagner Love the Brazilian will join us in January at the end of Russian season for 11 miliion(As agreed)so the BBC website says.All the bad talk about not wholly warranted-He makes mistakes like the rest of us.Moyes us a man of integrity will sign a new contract ,if he has promised...OBG
Art Greeth
3   Posted 03/09/2008 at 09:46:46

... then you can’t have watched many of DM’s press conferences down the years, David.

Yes - in recent weeks his edginess has been more evident (not surprising, given the state of play...), but Friday’s offering was pretty much par for the course from Moyes, but people - as you are doing - try to read more into it.

In just about every pre-match press conference I’ve seen of him on Evertontv, he frequently turns (stupid) questions back on the journalists and gives deadpan, curt answers which reveal little or nothing.

Personally, I find it hugely entertaining how he deals with the maverick press.
Garry Martin
4   Posted 03/09/2008 at 11:48:44

Why should we worry about how he appears in front of the camera? I?m only interested in how he makes EFC perform and, at the moment, and every manager has them, he?s not able to get the team to winning ways (of course not helped by lack of players) but I believe he?ll get us back to winning ways.

COYB
John Horan
5   Posted 03/09/2008 at 20:40:11

David - the day before the Pompey game Moyes was coming off a week were he had just signed 3 players plus Obinna and was probably :
a) exhausted.
b) not focused on the task at hand given he still hadn’t spent any money at that time and his mind was probably thinking about signing a strong midfielder, which he ultimately did with Fellaini.
I wouldn’t judge him on one press conference in the middle of the transfer window chaos.
Dan Parker
6   Posted 03/09/2008 at 23:42:28

I must say my own opinion of Moyes has gone down somewhat this summer. He’s not carried himself as a leader at all which you need to do through the good times and bad. His whole image of late must rub off on the team.

Ok, we don’t have bags of cash but that’s the challenge. He’s got a bloody good job - what does he want, a decent tenure at Everton or 3 months at a club owned by a a dodgy Thai PM, Mike Ashley (enough said), be my play thing Abromovich or lucky charms at Man U....