FAN ARTICLES

Knowing Me, Knowing You - Saha

By Anthony Jaras :  06/09/2008 :  Comments (39) :
Louis Saha could well be one of the greatest signings in our history!

Laugh if you want to... I know that it is a bold statement; however, I will stand by it until I am proven to be wrong.

For a while now, we have craved a pure athlete up front. AJ was an athlete, however, we need an athlete with a predator-like instinct. Louis Saha could well be that player. He can score with both feet, has pace to burn, is fantastic in the air and has already proved that, by offering to forsake his wages until fit, he is not only a first class and honest professional, but is chomping at the bit to pull on the blue shirt and start banging the goals in.

I remember seeing his play whilst on loan at Newcastle years ago and even then I could see that the guy was sheer class. In a way he reminds me of Les Ferdinand. He has a fantastic spring which enables him to outjump opposition defenders from a standing start and at 6'1" he is also good at holding the ball up. The main difference with this guy is that he can use both feet equally well.

We all know about his goalscoring exploits with Fulham. 117 appearances with a goal return of 53 was awesome in a side that struggled year-in, year-out. His move to Manchester United was inevitable with that form and although he suffered many injury problems he still scored some sensational goals, keeping Ruud van Nistlerooy out for a spell. He played 86 times netting on no fewer than 28 occasions.

Although we favour the 4-4-1-1 formation with Tim Cahill playing in 'the hole', I can honestly see a reversion to 4-4-2 to accommodate Saha when he is fit as his pace, power, athleticism, predatory instinct and hunger combined with all the Yak possesses, in my eyes will be one of the deadliest strike partnerships in the league.

Breaking it all down, I still cannot believe we got Saha on the terms that we did. It is well known that David Moyes has a great relationship with Sir Alex Ferguson and to be honest, I don't care if we do get labelled "Man Utd's B team" if it means that we carry on getting players of the calibre of Tim Howard & Louis Saha.

Of course, my words here are based on a fully fit Saha, and I do have every confidence that he will regain his fitness and match sharpness in the coming weeks. However, I will fully accept any critisism and invite you to laugh at me if I am completely wrong about this... after all, I do sound like the chairman of the Louis Saha fan club.

Anyway, all together now, after 3... 1-2-3;

KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU....................!!!!!

Reader Comments

Craig Ashford
1   Posted 06/09/2008 at 19:07:00

I wouldn't go quite as far to best in our history, but I certainly agree with you when you say he is a fantastic catch. I can see the Yak and Saha being fucking awesome together. Let's hope his fitness returns sooner rather than later...
Steve Callaghan
2   Posted 06/09/2008 at 19:57:45

Is there a prize for the best article title? This one surely wins it - hehe - I am sure the tabloids will be pinching that one in the not too distant future.
Anthony Newell
3   Posted 06/09/2008 at 20:02:39

I second that - great title for an article!

Let's hope thats a chant we get accustomed to when he?s rattling the goals in!

I seriously hope we start the game next week with Castillo, Fellaini and Jacobsen in the starting line up. I know it?s not Moyes?s style but given the weaknesses in midfield I?d be very surprised if he didn?t and we need these players familiarised pronto into an effective working unit.
Joseph Moore
4   Posted 06/09/2008 at 20:09:36

Andy Gray and Peter Reid were both ’crocks’ when they came to Everton!!!
Will Leaf
5   Posted 06/09/2008 at 22:02:12

Yes, a good title. In keeping with the theme, what Everton needs is

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY

It’s a rich man’s world...
Anthony Newell
6   Posted 06/09/2008 at 22:27:57

How about this chant to the tune of the Leonard Cohen number:

’So long Marouane, its time that we began To laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again’

Hopefully more laughing...
Andy Gates
7   Posted 06/09/2008 at 22:22:19

Great title just hope your right
Steve Pendleton
8   Posted 07/09/2008 at 00:05:27

I’m in aggreeance with you Anthony. But for every Tim Howard from Man United comes a Phil Neville!! Not sure if the trade off is enough.

Yes we got Saha, but who comes in next from there??? Scholes?? Please Nooooooooooooo!!
John Boyd
9   Posted 07/09/2008 at 00:16:18

As an overseas-based Evertonian who has lived abroad many years, the significance of the title is lost on me. Would someone care to explain?
Anthony Jaras
10   Posted 07/09/2008 at 00:32:14

Have you ever heard the Abba song;

"Knowing me, Knowing you, A-Ha’?????
Paul Maghee
11   Posted 07/09/2008 at 00:59:38

Paul Scholes is arguably one of the best passers of the ball in the Premier League and would definitely take him for a year if we could.
Gary Sedgwick
12   Posted 07/09/2008 at 01:31:19

Great first line but do you recall the second line of the chorus:

"There is nothing we can do..." Hope there is!
Jason Broome
13   Posted 07/09/2008 at 04:28:33

Agreed!

We could have the best strikers we have had at the club since the Heath - Sharp - Lineker era and rumours of the ?possible? arrival of Vagner Love causes a sharp tightening in the pants.

Saha?s arrival ensures that the bar has been raised on the standard needed to break into our frontline. This can only be a good thing for all our ambitious youngsters.

Compared like for like with Nicolas Anelka, Saha has a better goal to game ratio. Not bad for a player who costs ⅛ of the price of his counterpart and 90% less than Robbie Keane...

and let us not forget that the boy was a key player for a French team on their way to a World Cup final and played his part in a Manchester United side crowned the best in Europe! Yet he has been criticized for not being high brow enough for the more quintessential Goodison pallet, those of whom still yearn for the Beattie/Johnson years!

The Yakubu - Saha pairing is as tantalising as the Torres ? Keane, Drogba - Anelka set up and I pray this boy stays fit.

Further, the arrival of Fellaini now ensures that the spine of our side is potentially as good as any, however on a downside we still lack the necessary width and pace down the flanks (both in defence and midfield) which will stifle creativity and maintain our undying love of hoofball. Fix this and we?re on!
Rob Nunn
14   Posted 07/09/2008 at 05:24:56

Anthony,

What a refreshing change to read something positive for a change. Good on you!

COYB
Roberto Granelli
15   Posted 07/09/2008 at 07:04:10

Gary
How about -
?Knowing me knowing you, Saha?
?There ain?t nothing he can?t do?
----Saha
Keith Harrison
16   Posted 07/09/2008 at 09:37:26

Roberto - you beat me to the punchline there mate.

Anthony - Leonard Cohen??? Are you a manic depressive???

Try some Lynyrd Skynyrd instead mate. Good time boogie to cheer you up !!!!

IF he ever gets fit, with him Vaughan, Yak, Vic and W Love, we could be truly awesome up front.

We need the bloody defense sorted first though. Joe?s injury may mean Moyes is forced to play Jags in defence, but I can?t see why he has not spotted this already. Jags cannot play midfield.
Keith Harrison
17   Posted 07/09/2008 at 09:45:45

I meant Anthony Newall, not Jarras for the Cohen bit.

LOL
Brian Conrad
18   Posted 07/09/2008 at 10:01:08

Anthony

Leonard Cohen? a football chant... I don?t think so mate!

Knowing me knowing you Saha, excellent

COYB
Richard Parker
19   Posted 07/09/2008 at 09:46:49

Wagner Love????????

Don’t you think that after all the shit flying around over the past few weeks, that the club would be plastering Wagner Love’s signing all over the official site if he was actually coming?

I’d be a very happy Blue if it’s true, but I have absolutely zero expectation of this one. If such a major signing had been made, I’m sure there would have been some official word on it. Especially just before the EGM to lighten the mood around Goodison somewhat.

As for Saha, time will tell, he’s undoubtedly a talented footballer who could tick the boxes, but at 30, on the back of 2 injury plagued years there’s plenty of ifs and buts.

Could be a great bit of business, but I’m always sceptical when we bring in a known crock at EFC. Fingers crossed tho!
Anne O'Brien
20   Posted 07/09/2008 at 10:30:33

Well said again, Anthony. Great response, Will Leaf! As for Steve Pendleton..........??
Ed Fitzgerald
21   Posted 07/09/2008 at 10:47:04

Don?t diss Leonard Cohen ? surely he is the most appropriate musical artist for all Evertonians???
Terry Smith
22   Posted 07/09/2008 at 11:00:13

We all know about the lad but if you look at some clips of him on youtube i forget just how good he is inside & outside of the box and his al round play. If we can get this lad fit he will not only add quality to the squad he could hopefully pass on good things to Vaughan & Vic
Lee Aitch
23   Posted 07/09/2008 at 12:24:16

Being realistic, the dilemma of how to play Cahill and Saha in the same team behind or alongside the Yak is not likely to come up too often. Throw in the possibility of James Vaughan being fit at the same time as those two... I think lunar eclipses come round more frequently.
Trevor Powell
24   Posted 07/09/2008 at 13:52:48

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus, as they did when Andy Gray joined in 1983 as renowned crock who would be lucky to play 10 games a season. If we had half of Gray?s return in terms of motivation and fire power, I would be more than happy. I remember, we were all confused and disappointed when Paul Rideout joined the club, What about Bernie Wright and Brett Angel [only kidding] as people just laughed! REMEMBER that Dixie Dean was not expected to walk again after a motorcycle accident, and two seasons later.....
Keith Glazzard
25   Posted 07/09/2008 at 14:36:27

Voulez Vous?

I do I do I do I do I do.

Let’s hope he turns out to be the best bargain in the history of football.
Karl Masters
26   Posted 07/09/2008 at 20:54:44

Whilst I have been critical of HOW we arrived at the current squad this Summer, it?s worth remembering that in just over a year since coming 6th in 06-07:

Yakubu has replaced Beattie
Baines has replaced Naysmith
Jagielka has replaced Stubbs
Castillo has replaced Carsley
Fellaini has replaced McFadden
Saha has replaced Johnson
Nash has replaced Wright

plus we have either found or added Jacobsen, Rodwell, Baxter and Gosling.

The gradual improvement is still on track.
Gary Sedgwick
27   Posted 08/09/2008 at 00:46:09

Roberto, love it! Keith has the best one though , "Voulez Vous". French language and grammar. Perfect! Here’s my go for a chant:

Voulez Vous, Saha
Gets the ball and scores it
Never ever lets us down!
Voulez Vous, Saha
Why were you not with the Blues before?

Just trying to create some new chants...
Gary Sedgwick
28   Posted 08/09/2008 at 01:02:22

Just read the last line again. It could sound better sung as, "Why weren’t you a Blue before?"

Voulez Vous, Saha
Gets the ball and scores it
Never ever lets us down!
Voulez Vous, Saha
Why weren’t you a Blue before?
Jason Lam
29   Posted 08/09/2008 at 03:03:32

Under the employment terms Saha is definiately a risk worth taking. Had a chat with some manure fans (they’re everywhere I know) and Saha is actually quite useful and supposely fit. At 30 he’s still playable for a striker. Let’s get him fit before we head to the disco.
Monty Carlo
30   Posted 08/09/2008 at 12:19:09

How about:
That’s the way (Saha, Saha)
I like it (Saha, Saha)
That’s the way (Saha, Saha)
I like it (Saha, Saha)
Michael Brien
31   Posted 08/09/2008 at 12:53:40

Nice one Anthony. I recall when we signed Andy Gray in Nov? 1983, there were many comments regarding his lack of fitness and being injury prone. I am not saying Saha will make the same impact, but who knows!! He certainly seems to have a positive attutude; as if he is very motivated to prove a few doubters wrong. Good luck to him.
Joe Rourke
32   Posted 08/09/2008 at 15:26:31

I seem to be the only only one who thought of Alan Partridge ( knowing me knowing you a-ha) when I read the title...but I do hate Abba...

Saha scored 32 goals of his 63 total for Fulham when they were in the CHAMPIONSHIP. He scored 31 in two and a half seasons in the Premiership there. 15 in 22 in his last half season. Thats about the same strike rate as Andy Johnson all in all. Only Saha has spent a lot of that time since crocked. the whole thing reminds me of the thinking behind the Beattie purchase...you know the way he was really good for that one season a while back!

I don’t think we will see that much of him. Probably Andy VdM will though!
Michael Brien
33   Posted 08/09/2008 at 16:16:13

Joe :As Donald Sutherland’s character in "Kelly’s Heroes" would have said - " Don’t give me those negative vibes"

Let’s give the guy a chance.
Peter Howard
34   Posted 08/09/2008 at 16:46:43

and for after the derby:
" .. there was something in the air
that night
the Reds were shite, Fernando ... "
Anthony Jaras
35   Posted 08/09/2008 at 18:52:59

I am happy that it took 32 responses to my post before we got a negative one - Surely some kind of record on here????
Gary Creaney
36   Posted 08/09/2008 at 22:22:59

Or has anyone heard the song on the Toyota advert? I think the song is by a band called the feeling..... RING RING BEEP BEEP...SAHA!!
Sean Condon
37   Posted 09/09/2008 at 02:12:31

The main difference between Les Ferdinand and Saha is the minor fact that LS CANNOT STAY FIT FOR A WEEK.
Besides that small stumbling block, he?s a great signing. Here?s hoping he comes good. COYB!
Michael Brien
38   Posted 09/09/2008 at 07:11:40

How about - " The Sun always shines" on EFC by sAHA. Ok we all know given our luck that the sun doesn’t always shine us - but it would be great if we had such a change - we are due a run of good luck - especially in Derby matches !!!
Joe Rourke
39   Posted 09/09/2008 at 18:49:31

I’m the negative one!?! I just posted his stats thats all. Is realism a problem? I think unless you can transport Louis Saha circa 2003/2004 forward in time to the present moment there is not a hope of him being sucessful.

@ Michael - In fairness we gave Andy VdM a chance. A few chances if I remember correctly.

6 away points in the next two games by any manner or means with our two new midfield recruits bedding in and I don’t give a crap about what Saha does. I don’t care about the treatment room -its our engine room that needs sorting out.