FAN ARTICLES

When Will Moyes Learn?

By Tim Luke :  19/10/2008 :  Comments (31) :
60 minutes of the game gone. Everton?s lead against Arsenal had been cancelled out. The score stands at 1-1. Everton were facing wave after wave of Arsenal attacks. Fellaini looked like he was on his last legs, Osman had all but disappeared from the game, and so too had Arteta. We needed to change tactics quickly and give Arsenal something else to think about besides attacking Everton.

My friend turned to me and asked why doesn?t Moyes bring on Vaughan or Saha to help turn things around. I duly replied that going on past track-record, ?Moyes will wait until we went a goal down before making the change?. Prophetically, I was right! Within a few minutes, Arsenal were 2-1 ahead. Any confidence or spirit Everton had quickly drained away. Then, what does Moyes do? He brings on Saha. But it?s way too late. We?re now chasing the game. Spirits are low. The game is already well and truly lost.

When will Moyes learn? After the break, Toure was replaced by Song. We should have been testing the young man who?s not really that big, and is not really a central defender. And who better to do that than our own James Vaughan. If I was Moyes, I would have brought Vaughan on immediately after the half-time break. I would have told the midfield to play through balls to Yakubu and Vaughan to press Song and Silvestre at every opportunity.

Silvestre, as we all know from his United days, is not the best central defender himself. Without Toure beside him, he is prone to mistakes. Song is a full-back. He?s may be a competent full-back, but he?s no central defender. So go out and test Silvestre and Song and put them under pressure from the start of the 2nd half. After all, we?re a goal up at half-time at the Emirates. So what better excuse do we need to go out and make it 2-0?

No. Instead, Moyes decides to play ?same-old, same-old?. Yakubu ploughs a lone furrow up front, the midfield starts to get tired. Some, like Osman and Arteta, go into hiding. And what happens? Arsenal take the game to Everton. With the exception of one chance early in the 2nd half, Yakubu quickly gets isolated and lacks any sort of service as Arsenal take control of the midfield and go on the rampage. Silvestre and Song hardly get tested at all.

If only we could have taken the game to Arsenal in the second half rather than sit back, defend for dear life and hope to sneak a point from the game. But wait?. that would require the manager to have the belief that his side can win against any opponent, and then to go out and attack them with the full intent for a win!

Oh? the sadness and futility of it all!!

Reader Comments

Russell Buckley
1   Posted 19/10/2008 at 06:43:38

I?d say more if I could but you have summed it up well. It scares me that the average supporter is able to spot this week in week out and not just after the game. How many matches have we watched recently wishing Moyes would make a move.

Yes, Everton have made progress under Moyes; yes, our squad is better but how long can we live off previous sustained progress that has come to a screeching halt? He seems to be out of answers and yet he is given a huge new contract. I don?t dislike the man but we have been shocking for quite some time now. Coaches and managers get sacked around the world in football and plenty of other sports for much less.
Sean McKenna
2   Posted 19/10/2008 at 08:30:52

Firstly wasn't Toure took off for Walcott?? I think so. Now I bet if you were manager you wouldn't have had Osman on from the start, am I right!?!

Let's face facts, our team is lacking confidence at the minute, missing first-team players, still trying to get the team to gel due to the fact that they had NO pre-season as a team. And don't forget, buddy, Arsenal are one of the best teams in the world, and on their day they could hit any team for 6!!

After the first half, we could maybe should of had the game won, we played bloody well I thought, and even Fellaini looked the part. I'm sick of this Moyes bashing, we're playing good football at the minute and the results will turn round, we all know that!! Instead of slagging off Moyes, why don't you slag off Arteta and Osman for going missing when the going gets tough?

Karl Gilboy
3   Posted 19/10/2008 at 08:49:43

Spot on article. I was at the game yesterday, and like every other game we become predictable. The concern for me there is no fight in the team, no leaders, and they just give up. Also the manager! ? he was out shouting his orders on the line at 1-0 even at 1-1. Then, once we went behind, he went to his seat, sat there and done nothing. This man's record in the last 15 to 20 games is not making good reading. The man is for me starting to show that he is not all that he is made out to be.
John Andrews
4   Posted 19/10/2008 at 09:22:21

Sean, Is this the same Arsenal that recently lost at home to Hull City? One of the best teams in the world? A couple of seasons ago maybe but at the moment they are not firing on all cylinders.

If Hull can do it, have you ever wondered why we can?t?

Thomas Christensen
5   Posted 19/10/2008 at 09:43:28

Tim, you are right. I watched the game and had hoped that at half time our tactics, would be freshen things up, retain possession and with a 1 - 0 leads roll out the team bus with 20 mins to go.

Moyes probably did advise the players to press up on the centre halfs, but those tactics fell flat on their face when we turned into our own worst enemy and comprehensively failed to keep the ball and string a pass. The technical quality and close ball control of the team is not good, in fact at times it is appalling. Fellaini has good ball control and passes to a blue shirt, to that end he is fast becoming our best player, in my opinion.

I read Moyes wants to rebuild the team... thank fuck. Here is a letter I?ve written to David FYI.

Dear David,

In order to rebuild the team the following first team regulars need to be replaced due to consistent poor performances. To save you time David, I?ve ordered the offenders in a sliding scale... 1 is the worst.
1. Mikel Arteta
2. Jolean Lescott
3. Leon Osman (a favourite of mine from last year)
4. Phil Neville
5. Tony ?Championship Player? Hibbert
6. Joseph Yobo
7. Nuno Valente
8. The Yak - poor contribution at times.
9. Tim Howard.

Andy VDM isn?t a first team regular, but he has drained enough out of Everton in wages, he himself should do the decent thing and leave.

For your information, qualities that you need to focus on for future transfer targets is the following, technical ability, vision, consistency and PACE. No more injury-prone outcasts please.

All the best with spending your £17.5m

Regards

Thomas Christensen
Terry McLavey
6   Posted 19/10/2008 at 10:45:40

Every day l get the Everton page on ceefax to read various players making comments on how good they?re going to be in the next match "how we?re going to finish 5th or laughably 4th" etc. Stop making unrealistic claims and do your talking on the pitch, we will be lucky to finish mid-table.
Richard Dodd
7   Posted 19/10/2008 at 10:31:53

Just so glad that you and your ilk don’t over-re-act to a disappointing result,Tom! Why not sack the lot and close the ground? |Call yourself an Evertonian-you should be ashamed.
Eliot Howley
8   Posted 19/10/2008 at 10:54:41

Well said, Thomas ? Arteta has been awful in every game.
Tim Lloyd
9   Posted 19/10/2008 at 11:10:54

I just wonder... does Mikky Arteta take the field thinking "I?ll have a piss poor game today, just to annoy that Thomas Christensen".

Of course he doesn?t. He seems to be right off form but, if we drop him, who do we play in his place? Same applies to Ossie. He had a good game first half but predictably tired in the second half, I understand he needs rest as his knee gives him gyp.

We have such a small squad, we cannot replace these players with other than 17-year-olds. Cease your diatribes and tell us what you would do.
Brian Waring
10   Posted 19/10/2008 at 12:33:32

Tim, we don?t get paid £17.5M to tell you what we would do.
Declan Burke
11   Posted 19/10/2008 at 12:33:17

Arteta has been shite for ages. Can’t cross his legs, not to mind his ability to take a decent corner. Had to laugh when I saw his comment that he is not interested in playing for England because he still hopes to play for Spain. FFS he is so far up his own arse, that it is unbelievable. He is not good enough to play for Everton at the momentnt to mind the European Champions. Come back down to Earth mate.
Alan Rycroft
12   Posted 19/10/2008 at 12:24:40

Dear All,
Like everyone blue I was a bit gutted yesterday ? all right it?s only footie ? but it hurts to see your beloved team totally outclassed. It seemed the team just keeled over like a cat and said "rub my tummy" and the Frenchies Spaniards Dutchies Africans whatever the arses have in their team, only one Brit (but what a Brit!) ? duly obliged. It seems that the first half the lads just exhausted themselves containing the formidable arsenal of weapons in which the opponents postively luxuriated. Same pattern against the ?pool. Doubtless, the same will follow against Man Utd.

Sad, so sad, we were toyed with second half. To go back to the cat analogy, like a cat with a mouse that just allowed the little blighter to escape for five minutes and think that it was free. It?s like Arsenal barely had to break a sweat and we were exhausted! Half the team were finished after 60 minutes, the rest made to look fools ? no wonder Hibbs almost copped one of them.

Yeah, team rebuilding a must ? and back to square one. Shame we don?t have another manager, my vote would be the Aston Villa guy. I like the Dave but enough is enough is enough and £4 million or whatever is an obscene joke in these times especially with folk losing their jobs. Even our star players the board has busted the bank for aren?t good enough. Yak got through once and almost hit the corner flag! A sad, sad day for a once great team!

Mike McLean
13   Posted 19/10/2008 at 13:43:59

When will Moyes learn?
He won?t.
John Cats
14   Posted 19/10/2008 at 13:53:29

When will Moyes learn? He’ll never learn, and I wholeheartedly believe it’s because he doesn’t have the mental capacity to be a good tactician.
Alan Codd
15   Posted 19/10/2008 at 13:50:42

Moyes should never have been given that contract and it saddens me to think we have to watch this shite for the next five years.

The average man on the stand could see we were inviting pressure onto oursleves and that a tactical change was needed. But once again Davey boy leaves it until we conceed the inevitable goal and then reacts, when it is far too late and the game has gone. I couldn't give a fuck who could have come in to replace Moyes but surely it would have represented new fresh ideas instead of the backs-against-the-wall hoofball shite that Moyes churns out.

What's the bet the prick does exactly the same at home next week, 4-5-1 crap? If it was working then ok but 5 wins out of something like 25 speaks for itself, 18 goals conceded in 8 games and about to drop into the bottom three and out of two cups already.

But then again, all you IMWT boys, we did finish fifth last year etc etc etc. My last season ticket until him and Billy Bullshit have gone.

Thomas Christensen
16   Posted 19/10/2008 at 14:08:30

Richard, I am clearly only half the Everton fan you are... because I?d much rather the manager brought in technically gifted players who do have an impact. Are you honestly telling me you where impressed with both Arteta and Lescott yesterday?? I think shame on you.

I accept we played better than we had done in the first part of the first half yesterday, and that was because of Pienaar, Baines and Fellaini, in that period of play I DO NOT remember Arteta contributing anything.
Darrel Pugh
17   Posted 19/10/2008 at 16:01:28

Here is a good money/time saver, 8 games against the top 4 that's 24 points x Moyes's contract length, 5 yrs = 120 points. Call FA in the morning donate/allocate the points to them all and save cash on bus journeys, washing kits (Yakubu, Arteta apart ? no need to wash theirs anyway) fans can drink all day without having to suffer the embarrassment of the 4th most successful team in the UK turning up to play like the pub team's 4th choice reserves... This to me makes more sense than playing a match the manager has decided we cannot win.

In the meantime, adjust Moyes's contract to reflect that fact we only play 15 teams. Also insert a clause that a standard of football has to be played and that we have to make the effort to actually win a game by trying to get the ball in a position where one of our players can strike it or head and it goes somewhere near the opposition's net.

Anthony Hughes
18   Posted 19/10/2008 at 17:22:30

Richard Dodd, see you are still spouting the same rose-tinted shite!!!
David Holroyd
19   Posted 19/10/2008 at 17:26:09

Moyes won't be going anywhere now, not with a £60-grand contract in his back pocket thanks to Bill Kenwright. He always makes substitutions after we go behind, he's proactive or is it reactive? ? whatever. We have no real pace or power in the team. Fellaini, who is getting better, needs a partner to help him in midfield, someone who is used to the Premier League. Richard Dodd, just because we don't agree with you we are all entitled to an opinion, we don't have to be ashamed for that.
Tony Marsh
20   Posted 19/10/2008 at 18:48:58

If a manager purposley overloads his squad/team with small players who lack pace, power and basic skills, what should we expect? I have banged on about this for years now but no one ever listened. It is so obvious that most of the team are out of thier depth, we have no characters in the side who will take command on the pitch, and Moyes instills fear in o his players with his negative shithouse approach.
James Boden
21   Posted 19/10/2008 at 19:06:44

Three more goals conceded. But those who back Moyes will say, "Well it was a good side, did you expect us to win?". But they were there for the taking. 1st half we played very well, but as is the usual conceded early 2nd half and collapse. And Neville brought on again. What does he see in this idiot?

Hibbert to his credit played very well, but of course God Almighty must play everytime he's fit. And what does Saha offer us? Why not play Vaughan up with Yakubu? And drop Arteta, another poor performance against sky 4. However I'm sleeping well knowing its 5 more years with The Moyesiah... Well, I should look at the facts, 4th, 5th, 6th.

I think all pro-Moyes fans should look at the facts that this will be his 7th full season and we haven't won a single trophy. The best we've got is a League Cup semi-final when we had a bye and got outplayed in both games. Also we've been knocked out of competitions 8 times at the first hurdle. 8! But things are better? Two of which were to Shrewsbury, in probably the biggest cup shock ever, and Oldham.

2 out of 3 ventures into the Uefa Cup have ended in 1st round failure. 2 summers of absolute dithering, woeful football STILL. And we can't even defend anymore. 18 goals conceded in the first 8 games. And who's more responsible than any other? Daivd Moyes. Yep Thats right. Hes not far off being our longest reigning manager never to have won a trophy. Oh but I forgot ? he's taken us to new heights. This the great David Moyes. 5 more years of this for heavens sake.

And finally onto our chairman. If Kenwright loved us so much why did he give this clown 5 years, when aside from the points I made above, no-one is tracking him, so he's in a losing situation. But no, Bill "I?m too diluded to see that we have a boring manager" Kenwright is actually convinced that someone would have come in for Moyes. Who exactly?

Replacement for Alex Ferguson. Is that a joke? Man United are a winning club, they would not accept this idiot. Arsenal have Wenger, who's built them up, Chelsea have Scolari, who's won the World Cup. And Liverpool have their hero Benitez, who Moyes makes look like Matt Busby. And Spurs and Newcastle wouldn't accept the dire football, and Celtic is a step backwards, so there was nowhere to go, but as usual Kenwright makes a complete suicidal decision and rewards crap with a "double your pay" 5-year contract. Any wonder we have no money to spend when our useless manager is on £65k a week?

The club is full of lies and has no ambition whatsoever. But I'm forgetting... Moyes has helped us progress. God help me and all Evertonians who can actually see what a clown he really is.

As for those of you who sing his praises to death and will go mad at my letter, you are helping Moyes and Kenwrong kill our once great club. Remember the club Motto ?NOTHING BUT THE BEST IS GOOD ENOUGH? because you obviously don't if you think this is good enough.

And finally I think we are in for the hammering of a lifetime Saturday, with Judas scoring a hat-trick. That is all I have to say.

Peter Pearson
22   Posted 19/10/2008 at 22:23:47

James Bowden,
Well said; you have said all I wanted to say. You are are spot on in all you say. I'm a commited blue and have been for 50 years... I'm sad to say I can only see very grim times under this clown Moyes ? the Great Everton Saviour? You must be joking, all you Moyes fans. See you all in May ? then you will see I was right.
Chad Schofield
23   Posted 19/10/2008 at 23:13:09

Ha, perhaps we would be better off under Ramos? Disappointing result, but while Arsenal didn?t start their season off brilliantly, there is a large gulf between the teams. I do agree that DM can be infuriating with his lack of action when it comes to subs or tactics (I would also like to see Vaughan with the Yak)... However, I am glad he?s signed. He just can?t keep using his "still learning" card anymore. But seriously, some of you need to get a grip.
Laurie Cooper
24   Posted 19/10/2008 at 23:04:33

Regarding Richard Dodd’s outstanding contribution ("Just so glad that you and your ilk don?t over-re-act to a disappointing result,Tom! Why not sack the lot and close the ground? |Call yourself an Evertonian-you should be ashamed."), Apart from your commentary telling us far more about your own vary apparent intellectual limitations, Richard, I notice that you’ve artfully avoided any comment on that unmitigated nonsense you spouted on another thread last week to the effect that "our season starts here!" (in the Arsenal game)

Perhaps you’d like to inform us once again when our season starts as I’m beginning to lose faith that it will ever start and that relegation to the championship for next year is looking a far greater reality, judging by your favourite manager’s performances since the second Fiorentina match ealier this year.
Richard Harris
25   Posted 20/10/2008 at 10:12:41

Tim Luke wrote "When Will Moyes Learn?"
Well at least he has another 5 years to add to his 6.5 years experience in the Premiership. Lifelong learning...dontcha just love it :0) That should keep the Moyes supporters happy. After all, Saturdays result didn’t matter as Moyes is staying and that’s like a new signing....
Steve Syder
26   Posted 20/10/2008 at 12:36:00

Moyes is just terrified of the "Big" teams. Always has been.

It was a sad day when he signed for another five years. Probably Kenwright?s biggest mistake ? he?s turning us into a charity giving Moyes what amounts to a handout.
Les Barson
27   Posted 20/10/2008 at 12:25:52

Regarding the tactical ability of DM; you will just have to accept the reality that he just fails to see the big picture at critical times. He is no Wenger, SAF, Big Phil etc. Moreover, he is obstinate and intransigent, and seems to regard a change of personnel as an admission of failure of selection ? there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Against the RS and Liege second leg, the game was crying out for Castiilo who was left to ponder his lot from the bench ? why the hell was he bought? Please tell us Moysie ? I?m sure Segundo would like to know.
Remember his contribution in the home leg against Liege strong and with an eye for goal.

I think the DM contract was mistake at £3.0m to £3.5m per annum ? his lack of tactical ability does not warrant such remuneration. What if things stay slumpside until the end of the season ? what will it cost to get rid ?4/5 of £17m?
John Sheron
28   Posted 20/10/2008 at 13:51:40

Let me stand-up and be honest. I no longer want Moyes as the manager of EFC.

I was hoping he would drag-out his contract signing to the point where Kenwright ultimately withdrew the offer

Unfortunately Moyes is now in position ’A’ and will take some budging. So it looks like me and every other like-minded Blue is stuck with him.

His tactics are woeful and I am starting to hear David O’Leary-type excuses for why we are losing so frequently.

I was stunned the other day when he intimated that players would have to move-on soon if they did not begin to perform and get results.

The guy’s a joke, even when he takes the blame for something it is only in the expectation of receiving pity for his honesty. He has become a master of manipulating the nedia and the misplaced loyalty of certain fans who stand by their IMWT mantra.

We will not get relegated but we really are playing crap football at the moment.

He really is loving it, five and a half years of hoofball could just about see us relegated at some point in his tenure. Maybe not this year but if the takeover does not happen and the better players get fed-up I can see several years of relegation fights or at best bottom ten performances.

Only my opinion.
Chris Brigden
29   Posted 20/10/2008 at 15:40:17

John what are you on. Moyes does the best he can with what he has available. I am fed up with the constant moaning, he is doing a brilliant job.
Anthony Hughes
30   Posted 20/10/2008 at 20:43:27

Chris Brigden, fed up with the constant moaning? You are a bigger clown than your idol. Moyes doing a brilliant job?? Don?t talk fucking daft lad!
Les Barson
31   Posted 20/10/2008 at 22:30:14

John Sheron

John,

This assessment is spot on. Had Kenwright delayed the contract until the mire had deepened sufficiently as looks very likely, then he would have had every reason to let DM to see out the current contract, and then find a suitable replacement. DM apart from being stubborn is desperately short of the necessay tactical nous.

Too late now I’m afraid, DM has EFC by the proverbials, and we are stuck with it. It will cost a fortune to get rid of him any time soon.