FAN ARTICLES

Bring The Boy Back Home

By Kevin Hudson :  23/10/2008 :  Comments (119) :
I've said it before, and I'm saying it again; we need some teeth in the middle of the park .Who am I talking about? Joseph Barton (cue the usual groans)

Why do I refer to him as Joseph? Well,having watched his articulate, contrite, disarmingly honest and tangibly genuine mea culpa interview on the box, I'm convinced he's ready to turn the corner. Can those who would object, find it in them, to turn the other cheek?

We currently have the worst defence in the division, with a worrying statistic of having shipped 18 goals in the 8 matches played. Not great. Whilst Barton isn't a defender per se, our defenders are not unanimously to blame for this alarming state of affairs. Fact is, teams are not afraid of us, and we are being knocked over far too easily and if our situation worsens then, come January, I would like Moyes to swoop for the above-mentioned Barcode misfit.

If we get dragged in to a bottom-eight dogfight, who do you think would be more willing to shed blood, sweat and tears for the Everton cause? Screech Fellaini? Phil (what am I doing in midfield?) Neville? Andy van der Vodka? Mikel (not the face) Arteta? Segundo Castillo anyone? Or, a boyhood Blue who could be the next Peter Reid??

We live in an advanced society wherein those who have gone astray are given the opportunity for rehabilitation and redemption, and football reflects many of our core values, one example being the Kick Out Racism campaign. Surely, as Evertonians, we should be campaigning to have more of our own (Evertonians) in the side, reflecting our passion, fighting (no pun) for the Royal Blue shirt, and sending an example to the sociopathic youths in our own city: Namely that, with reflection, purpose and support, people can change for the better.

Add to that, he's a damn good player, who I believe would give his all, work hard, impress us, and would be a natural figurehead on the pitch.

Newcastle is a graveyard for Premier League footballers, and a histrionic joke of a football club. Barton has atrophied up there, and it's a waste....

Hope those of a certain vintage enjoyed the Floyd reference in the title!!!!

Reader Comments

Paul Cooper
1   Posted 23/10/2008 at 14:42:42

Very good article. I think Barton is just the type of player we are lacking.
Shaun Brennan
2   Posted 23/10/2008 at 14:52:54

I liked that Kev,

We should Judge footballers on their football. If you judge them on anything more than that, well the vast majority of us would be up in arms!
If he is showing remorse and regret, then fair play to the lad.

I wouldn?t mind seeing him playing for Everton.
Ste Bowness
3   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:14:28

Would happily see him in a blue shirt, he would work hard for the cause, I reckon Moyes could keep him on the straight and narrow as well!!
Richard Parker
4   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:17:41

Barton is a thug, my arse is he going to change.

Would be as welcome at Everton as a fart in a wetsuit.

Peter Howard
5   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:14:36

Glad I read this post as it has totally vindicated my decision to give stop buying a season ticket and never again pay to watch a PL match. The "advanced society" we supposedly live in is falling apart and Joey (I really mean it this time) Barton is a glaring example of this.
Dave Jeanrenaud
6   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:19:19

Not a chance.

It?s interesting that you should mention the Keep Racism out of Football campaign in the same article as one urging a bid for Joey Barton. You must not be aware of the comments Joey is "alleged" to have made to Evertonians touring the Far East regarding the presence of black players at Goodison Park.

I sincerely hope that we would not even consider bringing him "home".
Peter Howard
7   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:23:06

By the way, he’s from Huyton which I understand to be outside the city boundary.
Dave Hughes
8   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:20:59

Actually, a fart in a wetsuit is no problem. The gas will just rise through its own bouyancy and work its way out through the highest-placed wrist or ankle seam. A fart in a drysuit on the other hand, will still be there to greet you when you get back from the dive.

I agree with the article. We?re sorely lacking players with spirit and determination, and Barton has no shortage of either. Give him a chance.
Peter Howard
9   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:27:36

Just the one chance, Dave ?
John Sreet
10   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:27:08

It?s too early to say that he?s a changed man; I think if he is squeaky clean over the next 18 months then maybe, just maybe he might be worth a punt.
Monty Carlo
11   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:25:02

I am divided.
I think we would benefit from his footballing style; including the on-field - controlled - aggression, but I’m not convinced about his recent commitment to control his off-the-pitch behaviour.

Then again, I can’t help thinking about the Cantona episode. And perhaps Joe Kinnear (who looks like a "mini-me" for Tommy Walsh these days) doesn’t want to let him go. He is exactly the kind of player that he used to go for in the old Dons team.
Barry Sherlock
12   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:32:59

Barton is a thug. He is a prime example of what is wrong in society today. He should never be allowed inside Goodison. I for one would not pay to see him. He is not even that good as a footballer!

I do agree we are missing a "Peter Reid" in the middle of the park. But please there must be someone other than Barton.
Dave Lynch
13   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:34:13

He?s an out and out thug. Who should have been banned from the game ages ago. The majority of his offences revolve around hurting other human beings who are weaker than him. The man (I use that word loosely) is a thuggish bully. It?s not as if he has been done for drink driving etc...... Don?t want him anywhere near Goodison in any colour shirt.
Ian Fairclough
14   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:41:29

"Good Call"

We are certainly are lacking some steel in midfield we have yet to replace Carsley?

I am sure, at the right price etc, he could be worth a shout.
Ciarán McGlone
15   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:48:54

"Namely that, with reflection, purpose and support, people can change for the better."

As Barton has stated himself, he’s had more chances than anyone deserves -

He is not an example of what you cite above, and you do a grave disservice to those who are by holding this mega rich scumbag up as a reformed character.

No fuckin way.
Ed Fitzgerald
16   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:38:07

Sometimes my eyes deceive me. Let me get this straight you want to us to buy Joey Barton the same man who has

? Assaulted a 15 year old Evertonian in Thailand
? Assaulted someone in Church Street at 5am in the morning
? Stubbed a cigar out in a fellow team mates eye
? Broke the cheekbone of another fellow player during a training session

And to cap it all he is decidedly average.
Did you see his interview on Inside Sport last year when he appeared ever so contrite and full of remorse? You could see Gabby Yorath welling up as she heard Barton?s hard luck story, three weeks later some poor bastard is having a very ?unhappy meal? outside Mc Donald?s on Church Street at 5am.

Do me a favour the guy is a thug who spends more time on a psychiatrist's couch than Woody Allen. We might be having a bit of tough time at the moment but suggesting we sign this emotionally stunted knobhead as a solution really takes some beating. Kevin, to even begin to class Barton in the same terms as Peter Reid is heresy.

Fuck me, any other felons that we should sign up to scare the opposition what about Curtis Warren into between the posts? Kev lay off the Floyd it is obviously messing with your head. Evertonians, let's have a little more class than welcoming this beaut.

Larry Boner
17   Posted 23/10/2008 at 15:57:25

Brilliant idea Mr Hudson, lets forget about how I and millions of other people bring up their children to respect each other and contirbute to society. Lets show the kids instead that no matter how you behave, someone will help you, again and again and again! So why change? While we are at it why not bring in Lee Bowyer, I?m sure he will contribute to our midfield.

Man City and Newcastle should have sacked this player, I know if it happened on the shop floor there would be no way back for the person involved, but its a footballer, with a value and a contract so nothing happens. What about Lee Hughes ? good goalscorer, the list is endless, but I for one would never set foot in Goodison again if we ever went down this route and I have followed Everton for 50 years.

Respect for yourself is more important than support for any football team.

Keith Glazzard
18   Posted 23/10/2008 at 16:12:20

If he really is a reformed character, remains teetotal and starts playing well ? he won?t be for sale. If none of these ? he will be.
Chris Wilson
19   Posted 23/10/2008 at 16:17:28

And anyway he wouldn't pass to any of our black players.
Richard Harris
20   Posted 23/10/2008 at 16:28:19

So we?d have Barton but boo Rooney? If you had the choice which ?boy? would you bring back home.......
Neil Humphrey
21   Posted 23/10/2008 at 16:40:31

Off the field - cowardly thug who revels in violence; a total scumbag. On the field - decidedly over-rated. No thanks.
Martin Hughes
22   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:09:10

Bring him in, on loan , one chance - fucks that up he’s out

fair & square

would NUFC let him go
Tony Doran
23   Posted 23/10/2008 at 16:58:43

When I read the headline I thought you meant Carsley or McFadden who are both flying at high flying B?ham.
Why did we get not a penny for Carsley when he has 2 years left at least. We?ve just been stung for £15m trying to replace him. All this "let's give him a free to his hometown club for his good service" has backfired just like that fart in the wet suit. As for Barton?
David Alexander
24   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:24:23

you must be joking. Do you have no principles? some things are more important than winning and not having thugs in your team earning millions of pounds of the fans money should be one of those things.
Anthony Osullivan
25   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:33:46

He attacked someone laying on the ground how the hell could any of us cheer him on ?

He is a coward and a scumbag
Tony Marsh
26   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:27:11

Joey Barton will be at Everton in January if we can match his pay packet and thats a fact. How do I know? well that's a secret. We need some steel in the middle of the park otherwise we will continue to get steam rolled by every big bully team out there.

Why is it that JB is banned for 15 games and called a thug for smacking a team mate in training [its been going on for years] yet when Jolly Hockey sticks Josh Lewsey sparks Cipriano in a Rugby Union training session its all good because thats what Rugby chaps do. Typical double standards of the English press. JB isn't the first tearaway to play football and he wont be the last.

Lee Hughes the West Brom player killed someone when he was drunk at the wheel of his car and is now playing again. Far worse crime than anything Joey Barton has done.

Let's take George Best, a drunken wife beater of a lager lout who continually missed training and let down his club.. So smashed out of his brains that he retires at 26 and ruins his liver then another liver donated to him by some poor family's kindness because he is a drunken Gobshite Arsehole and he is some kind of cult hero and the darling of the media when he dies.

Can it be JB is a young Scouser from the wrong side of the tracks and Best has Man Utd connections that the media have different opinions of these two people. Even Eric Cantona is another media darling and this twat left the pitch to Kung Fu kick a fan at Crystal Palace during a game. The King they call this Tosser.

I hope JB does come here at least he will get stuck in and add some much needed fight out on the pitch. Whatever happened to giving someone a break when they are down?

If you knew the kind of life JB has had you wouldnt be so quick to judge the lad. He has done well to escape the St Johns estate in Huyton and keep himself in one piece. Give me JB over the Osmans and Pienaars of this world any day.
Martin Hughes
27   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:52:09

Tony

Your comments re: George Best - a bit harsh mate, completley different scenario

Keith Glazzard
28   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:51:27

Does "the wrong side of the tracks" mean not from the City of Liverpool?
Andy Crooks
29   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:48:46

Kevin,I was astonished to read your article.Mainly because I was about to come home from worl and write one with exactly the same title.
I can see Ciaran’s point and in fact until recently I would have agreed with him.I think it was Dave Wilson who asked are all of us who critisised Barton perfect ourselves,(apologies Dave if it wasn’t you.Anyway,it set me thinking and I believe he deserves another chance.I honestly don’t believe he’s that good but I said the same about Carsley.
He is,however,a scouser with something to prove and that’ll do for me.A loan deal doesn’t involve much risk and I have a feeling he might just turn it around.Big Dunc was a loveable rogue.JB is certainly not loveable but I would hope that Evertonians can believe that redemption is possible for any one.Plus we’re going to need him because we are going to be in a relegation dogfight/
Steve Jones
30   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:55:02

Fucking hell!

If that horrible scumbag came to our club then we will truly be in the gutter.

Give him a chance?
Stupid fuckers.
Tony Marsh
31   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:58:58

Glazzard what are you on about?
Gareth Lewis
32   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:59:40

You could look at it as an example to young "sociopathic" people and say look what happens if you change.

Or, you could look at it in the light of, look what you can be convicted of and yet still claim all the rewards associated with being a PL footballer. In essence, you can do what you want and it doesn’t matter.

He’s not someone who’s wander of the straight and narrow, he’s driven a tank straight if the road and through someone’s front window.
Neil Walker
33   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:54:01

He?s also a Koppite and above all is quite talentless, spends more time suspended than playing.
Not exactly the type of player that I would expect Moyes to go for.
Castillo, given a run at it can more than fill the Harry Hill role.
Is the fink still not banned from entering Merseyside ? I bloody well hope so.
guy wilkinson
34   Posted 23/10/2008 at 17:48:36

He’s a shithouse scumbag.

Does anyone really feel that he is fit to wear the same royal blue shirt worn by players like Hickson Labone and Ratcliffe?
Tony Marsh
35   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:10:49

Niel Walker why come on here and make statements that arent true?JB and his family are all staunch Blues always have been always will.What.
Thats typical of some Evertonians response,s to most things these days.If you cant think of anthing better to say call em a Kopite. Nice one
Jeremy Benson
36   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:12:01

I would not visit GP whilst he was in the team/squad. I know of many, many others who would do the same.

Thats all I’m going to say, otherwise I will get into trouble for saying what I really feel (and that would also include those who would happily accept him into the team...)
Neil Walker
37   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:14:20

Tnoy Marsh I was under the impression, given the antics of The Fink that he had to be a Kopite.
Not a typical response, merely a mistake on my behalf.
If he?s a Blue he has a strange way of showing it and has more problems than I thought.
Andy Crooks
38   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:29:59

Guy,Barton is not fot to wear the same shirt as Hickson,Labone and Ratcliffe,fine players and men.But,are all are players to be judged by such standards? If so then who is fit to wear the shirt.Big Dunc? People can change.
Richard Harris
39   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:38:38

Tony Marsh wrote "Lets take George Best a drunken wife beater of a lager lout who continually missed training and let down his club..So smashed out of his brains that he retires at 26 and ruins his liver then another liver donated to him by some poor families kindness because he is a drunken Gobshite Arsehole and he is some kind of cult hero and the darling of the media when he dies.

"Can it be JB is a young Scouser from the wrong side of the tracks and Best has Man Utd connections that the media have diffrent opinions of these two people. Even Eric Cantona is a nother media darling and this twat left the pitch to Kung Fu kick a fan at Crystal Palace during a game. The King they call this Tosser."

Joey Barton (putting aside his personal problems for one moment) is an average player at best. George Best was one of the greatest players of his generation. Eric Cantona was a key player in Manchester United?s revival. Joey Barton would not come close to Cantona?s influence and would not be fit to lace the boots of George Best the player. A someone who has been with Everton through good and bad times since 1964 I wouldn?t applaud Barton in our colours. If you think that Moyes and Kenwright should go then Barton would be the final straw for many Moyes/Kenwright supporters......
Tony Marsh
40   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:41:55

So Richard, it's the ability of the player that determines the amount of bad press a player gets then is it? If you can dribble a ball and play in a great team and win trophies you are exempt from stick for your transgressions. On the other hand if you are and ordinary player at an average club you can be crucified. FFS what are you on mate.

Barton is no angel and probably never will be, neither was Maradona, but many players have re-invented themselves after coming through hard times. That's all I am saying.
Larry Boner
41   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:45:10

Mr Marsh - I could not care less whether Mr Barton changes and becomes a model citizen, it is whether I am prepared to change and throw away all my principles in pursuit of a winning football team.
I would like to think that my principles would come at a higher price than that!
There are many people in this city who have come from "the wrong side of the tracks" and gone on to achieve great things, earning a fraction of the wage that Mr Barton earns, some of them doing it for fuck all. If £60k a week doesn?t make you behave then £40k @ Everton certainly won't.
When I see the likes of Mr Barton getting up at 5am in the morning to help @ the local hospital or old people's home then I?ll believe that he has changed, until then forget it.

But dont insult real Evertonians by believing we would accept anything just to be successful, because we wont.
Marco Bonfiglio
42   Posted 23/10/2008 at 18:31:05

Is Troy Mash a real name or has - going by his previous postings in this thread - Tony Marsh been hitting the keyboard with more enthusiasm than accuracy?

Incidentally, for what it’s worth, if I or anyone who visits this site committed just one of the ’indiscretions’ that have littered Joey Barton’s career, we’d have been sacked and probably incarcerated a lot quicker.
Jeremy Benson
43   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:08:17

Well said Larry - it all comes down to your level of principles at the end of the day.
Keith Glazzard
44   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:20:03

Mr Marsh - good evening.

You described Barton as a ’young scouser from the wrong side of the tracks’ . As many well informed contributers to this site tell us, you can only be a scouser if you are from the City of Liverpool. As he’s from Huyton (not in the City) I wondered why you called him a scouser.

Quite simple really.
Brian Williams
45   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:41:50

There are some things you shouldn’t budge on: Principles, integrity, honesty......I’d like to think that our club wouldn’t even consider signing him.
Robbie Muldoon
46   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:38:05

I would like to see Barton given a chance at Everton. We need that type of midfielder and to be honest I can only see us being able to save his career if he sorts his head out.

I know he is an Evertonian, and I also know Hibbert is a kopite.

So let’s knock that one on the head.
Anthony Jaras
47   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:55:10

No no no no no no no never in a million years!!!!

I really can’t believe anyone on here would want Barton playing for us, ridiculous, I don’t give a shite how good he was or is, do none of your have any respect for this club anymore?????
Dave Wilson
48   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:44:02

Jeremy

have you never done wrong, ?
no offence, but I’m wondering what sort of character it takes to make such a very definite judgement on others.
Brendan McLaughlin
49   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:57:41

Barton has a flair for mindless violence and thuggery and as Tony Marsh has often pointed out David Moyes doesn’t sign flair players. So I hope we are safe enough.
Matthew Lovekin
50   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:41:53

Right type of player needed but wrong name. Barton has had his chance(s). He’s a thug, why on earth should we pay him £40k p/w?. If he wants to play for us, he should offer to play for free before we even consider it.

A better player is Jimmy Bullard. Much better all round player, great positive player on the pitch and in the dressing room, a leader and character who won’t disrupt a dressing room. Probably cheaper transfer fee and wages.

Bullard is what we need for a bit of steel and character with underrated footballing abilities.
Jeremy Benson
51   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:05:39

Dave,

funnily enough, no, I’ve never assaulted someone and gone to prison for it.

Tom Campbell
52   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:00:47

Sign him on a 2 year deal, have a clause in the contract that if he causes any trouble the contract is terminated
Anthony Jaras
53   Posted 23/10/2008 at 19:57:47

TONY MARSH,

Of late, you and I have been reading from the same page with regards to our feelings over the club currently being shite and Moyes being clueless, however, you saying;

"Why is it that JB is banned for 15 games and called a thug for smacking a team mate in training[its been going on for years] yet when Jolly Hockey sticks Josh Lewsey sparks Cipriano in a Rugby Union training session its all good because thats what Rugby chaps do.Typical double standards of the English press.JB isnt the first tearawayto play football and he wont be the last".

...just does not make sense. Joey Barton stubbed a cigar out in a KID players eye, then, he twatted a CHILD in Liverpool city centre, a child who looked like he would have trouble beating Macauly Culkin in a fight in Home Alone (Have you seen the video of the assault?). It is not as straight forward as him hitting a team-mate (From behind) in training.

A few of mates have played Super League rugby for Widnes, Warrington, Leigh and St Helens and almost all rugby league players have fisticuffs in training and on nights out, it’s their culture as the sport is 100 times more aggressive and violent than football ever has been and ever will be. Rugby is about who wins the fight, literally on the pitch and often spills off it.

I just can’t see your point on this mate.
Jeremy Benson
54   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:07:30

P.s.

Dave, I dont judge. I do think 12 people did, though. Thats enough for me, fella.
Dave Wilson
55   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:08:06

Jeremy

Strangley enough most of us havent, but then thats not what I asked is it ?

are you whiter than white ?
Tom Campbell
56   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:08:05

Tony Marsh,

I fully agree with your first comment there but would you mind telling me how you know he will be arriving in January?
Dave Wilson
57   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:21:50

Jeremy
Your right, 12 people did judge him, found him guilty and he was punished, but you want him punished again and again, I’ve never seen the footage, but people who I know and trust have told me its very bad,

My problem is, I heared a young lad saying he was sorry and asking for a last chance today, I’m just curious as to what kind of people want to deny him it
Dick Fearon
58   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:43:26

If EPLsurvival hung on Barton I would rather go down.
Anthony Jaras
59   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:47:54

DAVE WILSON,

How many ’last chances’ does this guy want?

3 strike rule has well and truly been passed by him don’t you think?
David Marsden
60   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:38:07

I have to say, "Yes", I’d have him here at Everton: thats if he could get in the team and play well consistantly. Not seen that yet for a long time.

@ Tony Marsh... its a first but I have to totally agree with your first comments.

However some two faceness here, big dunc was a thug when he came here. Fucking head butting someone on the pitch ain’t exactly roll model stuff. Im not sure if this is true, but, the rumours regarding his early days in stirling are pretty sad!! However he came here and made himself a legend to us all, but lets not forget so horrible incidents of strangling and big uppercuts!!! The only difference I see is Dunc was actually hard and Barton is more of a coward and shithouse.

Might be worth a dig at a cheap price.
Brian Egan
61   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:44:24

Assaults on and off the pitch, numerous drink related incidents, prison sentences. Didn’t hear many of these complaints when we signed Duncan Ferguson!
Daniel Howard
62   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:07:42

It would drag our club even further away from greatness. It is offensive even to suggest it and those doing so should be ashamed. Desperate, desperate people.
Kunal Desai
63   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:03:33

You stupid fools!!.. you want that little prick in an everton shirt?? you people are no evertonians, this piece of dirt is a total shit bag, he’s not a footballer but a criminal. One bastard that should have been locked up for good and thrown the key away. It’s not as though his offences are a one off, they occur time and time and again
I know we’re desperate for players but not that desperate!!! Would you really want him to be detrmental and disruptive towards the rest of the squad where it would affect other players????
Reality check please!!!
Daniel Howard
64   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:13:37

well said Kunal. Do any of you really Man U or Arsenal would take him? These are class operations that we should be aiming to emulate.
Ed fitzgerald
65   Posted 23/10/2008 at 20:47:10

Tony Marsh
You having a fucking laugh aren?t you? I don?t care whether Barton comes from the biggest family of Blues under the sun or how tough his upbringing was his behaviour is indefensible. I don?t expect footballers to be angels but he has four separate incidents of violent behaviour. It is no good showing remorse if you don?t change your behaviour it?s no good saying ?oh I fucked up again? and expect to be told its OK never mind. I am afraid the excuse that he lived in a tough part of the City and had a troubled childhood could apply to many people but the vast majority of them don?t go around stubbing out cigars in people?s faces or beating the shit out of people when they are prone on the ground.
I don?t care if he had the finesse of Kaka, the energy of Alan Ball and the ball control of Ronaldo it would still be the wrong decision to sign him. Repeated acts of violent behaviour do not deserve to be rewarded with a high profile place at football club least of all Everton. If I or many others had committed one of the offences or acts he had been involved in we would have lost our livelihood with no reprieve. There are simply some principles more important than football.
Connor Rohrer
66   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:23:00

We can do far better than Joey Barton.

I’d take him if he’d actually improve us, sadly I don’t think he would at all to be honest. He’s a decent box to box midfielder, nothing more nothing less.

The next Peter Reid......laughable to be honest. The only reason why he’s even mentioned is because he’s a scouser. Exactly the same situation like Kevin Nolan a few years ago. Alot of Evertonians still phone in one Radio Merseyside and claim the lads the next Stevie G.

We can do far better, hopefully we will.
Ed fitzgerald
67   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:30:16

Brian
Please enlighten me. Ferguson did time for butting a player on the pitch, pretty harsh as many players have done that haven?t they. Yes Ferguson was a bit of a lad and sank a lot of ale it did not lead him to beat kids up though did it. His other notable act of violence was to sit on a burglar and twat him after he had broken into his house, fairly reasonable in my opinion. It?s hardly the same as Barton is it?
Clyde McPhat
68   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:44:49

He?s a physcopathic triple offender.....and if you still want him....I hate to tell you...he truly isnt that good, and hasn?t played first team football on a regular basis for almost two seasons....not a lot of players come back and regain their place and their form after missing that much time. He?ll go in on a tackle to break someone?s leg...good...we need that, show?s our spunk and desire. Also, show?s we haven?t a fuckin? clue to how the game is being played these days. And Tony Marsh...I would agree with you on bringing hime back, but first can you please find out where he stands on Destination Kirkby? That will be the decider for me!
James Newcombe
69   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:54:52

I?m with Ed, Barton shouldn?t be mentioned in the same breath as Big Dunc - how we could do with that man in the team right now
Rob Foy
70   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:54:05

Tony Marsh is spot on. For all those of you who say you wouldnt go to Goodison if he signed and wouldnt applaud etc etc, picture him scoring in a derby, or a cup 1/4 final or semi final. You sure you would sit on your hands?

You cant excuse what the lad has done in the past but look at the present situation we are in. We need steel and bite in the middle of the park, not a flock of lightweight fairies fucking about. Barton would do a job for us.
Shane Corcoran
71   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:37:43

Strange from Tony that he points out the flaws in Best, Cantona etc. and calls them all sorts yet Barton would be good for the team. Even if we put their behaviour on a par surely they’d all be gobshites, arseholes, twats etc. Such contradictions in one post. Cantona reacted to one fan giving him shit and reacted wrongly although the fan probably got what he deserved. Best, for all his faults was an alcoholic which I’m sure isn’t easy to kick. So a bit of perspective. I’m all on for giving people chances but I think he’s had enough. Good luck to him, somewhere else.
Brian Williams
72   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:11:44

To take some people’s outlook on this to the extreme, and I mean the one’s who are questioning others on whether they’ve ever done anything wrong and whehter Barton has done his punishment etc etc....

If someone came to your company/home for a job..someone say who was there to look after your kids...and you found out that he/she had several convictions for crimes (whether they be against children or not) that they’d done time for...

Would you hire them?????

NO YOU WOULDN’T...coz you wouldn’t want to take the chance would you....nuff said.
Barry Sherlock
73   Posted 23/10/2008 at 21:56:07

Tony Marsh,

It doesn’t matter where he’s from or what team he and his family support. He’s a thug. Worse than that he’s a coward. It’s in his blood, it’s the way he and his family are. That’s why half of them are banged up aswell.

I’m not saying that he doesn’t deserve a chance. His club NUFC have given his a chance. He already had a contract there. I don’t want him here. The bottom line is; there are so many better players out there. JB is not a talented footballer. I’d rather sign Nicky Butt or anyone else who knows how to get stuck in - as long as it’s not Barton.

Tony Marsh - he’d have Barton over Pienaar..... says it all really. Knob.
Matt Bone
74   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:07:24

Well that post created a lot of comments. Well done Kevin.

Of all the opinions given hear, the most rediculous is yours Tony Marsh.

Everton are a little desperate at present and yes they could do with a Reid type player but Barton - No way.

Barton is an out an out thug and a coward. How can you compare Lewsey/ Cipriani to Barton/ Dabo. Lee hughes was a different case altogether. For one, it was his first offence and two, he seemed genuinely remorseful. So did Barton I hear you say, until the next time perhaps.

I am affraid Barton has had his last chace two or three times over so thanks but no thanks in January.
Andy Crooks
75   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:15:44

I can understand why many people are opposed to Barton in an Everton shirt and I respect their principled stance.I also understand the views of those who don’t rate him as a player.
But,how about another chance? He’s done his time and I believe that any one can change.One misdemeanour and he’s out.Is that not a fair offer to make?
One final point,if Everton had to beat Man Utd to stay in the premier league I’d have him in the team ahead of any of the midfield we’ve got.Believe me,I’ve seen worse offenders than Joey Barton turn their lives round.
Alan Jones
76   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:18:05

How could anyone possibly compare a thug like Joey Barton with one of the greatest midfielders to have ever played for Everton. Anyone who had the privelage of watching Peter Reid play would know that Joey Barton is not fit to lace a legend like Reidys boots.
David Edwards
77   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:47:59

Kevin’s post is ill-judged, but Tony Marsh’s contribution just shows him up as the idiot he is. What a shame - his constant negativity was actually striking a chord with a wider audience, and then he blows it by his pro-Barton opinions.

If Barton ever wears our glorious Royal Blue, it’ll be the last time the Grand Old Lady will see me through the turnstiles till he leaves. Barton and his scum have no place at our club. FFS, Aren’t all our hearts with the family of a young victim of even younger scum from our streets? Such talk of a Barton move is a disgrace!
Damien Kennedy
78   Posted 23/10/2008 at 23:15:14

Tony, You really do attract some attention to yourself, the sooner you quit the wacky backy the better. Joey barton is and does come from bad stock, he?s poison, his brother is poison. we want players who will improve the team spirit that we have had in abundance over the lat few years. Not some scally with an attitude. you really are something, i seem to disagree wit evrything that comes out of your mouth.
Tommy Gibbons
79   Posted 23/10/2008 at 22:39:35

Peter Reid & Joseph Barton, both born in Huyton (both described as scousers) both footballers, both rich. One a boyhood blue and one a boyhood red.. in the whole scheme of things none of that matters.. what does matter is that only one of them is a violent criminal on more than one occassion who is not deserving of another chance. The club/s who or will give this thug a job shoud hang their heads in shame. Sky should also hang their heads in shame for giving the thug airtime..
Andy Crooks
80   Posted 24/10/2008 at 00:21:17

Damien,okay you don’t want Barton.But talking of "bad stock" just isn’t fair.if Barton comes to Everton it should be a football decision.If you want to talk about morality then where do you draw the line? Duncan Ferguson is,rightly,in my view,a hero.Barton is a pariah.Seems to be a pretty fine line in what it takes to be worthy of wearing the shirt.
Sean Condon
81   Posted 24/10/2008 at 04:40:45

The notion that off-field character has anything to do with a player?s ability to contribute on the pitch is ridiculous. Yes, Barton is a sociopathic scumbag, but how do you or I know that, behind closed doors, any of our players aren?t? Perhaps Arteta rapes his wife every night and she?s too afraid to tell anyone, like millions of other women trapped in abusive relationships. I?m certainly not suggesting that he does anything of the sort, merely making the point that there are many sociopathic scumbags out there who are somehow able to contain their illness privately. Barton hasn?t been able to do that, yet he hasn?t been banned from playing professional football. If he can help us on the pitch then I say sign him.

You are not cheering for the strength of a man?s character, you are cheering for your fellow supporters, your club?s history, and a pile of blue and white laundry. Me? I?m cheering for the way I felt when Sharpie thundered that ball past Grobelaar at Anfield in Oct ?84, for Bryan Hamilton at Maine Rd in ?77 and for Rideout at Wembley in ?95. If good citizenship mattered one bit when taking your passion for football into account then thousands of you would have never set foot inside Goodison again after seeing bananas thrown at John Barnes.

Ever heard Rooney in an interview? He?s a fucking idiot who probably has an I.Q. of about 75, but who among us wouldn?t have him in his "once a blue, always a blue" t-shirt today?

Dave Wilson
82   Posted 24/10/2008 at 04:51:28

Brian Williams

I?m assuming that's aimed at me, so I?ll answer your question.

Yes, I have taken a chance, with 4 lads now, all with a convictions for violence of some degree. all just wanting some sort of chance to start again, the first one was 8 years ago the last one 2 years ago, all still working for me. if any of them let me down I?d have found myself out of a job.
I?ve conducted hundreds of interviews and no bleeding heart liberal, trust me. Two of the guys I took on have young familys themselves now, and two of them are going out with nice girls. none of them are violent drunks anymore. All of them would be welcome at my home

I agree with Connor, Joey Barton, would not improve Everton, for that reason and that reason alone I dont want him. His £40k a week obviously didnt teach him anything, a spell in prison just might have done.

Personally I would sooner trust a guy who puts his cards on the table and asked for a "last" chance over someone with convenient priciples who tells me he?s never done anything wrong.

Al Nolan
83   Posted 24/10/2008 at 06:32:20

Dave Wilson

You have missed the point entirely, Barton has had more than his one chance, Barton has been caught in public so we all know what a scumbag he is and as for your comment about trusting him rather than someone with convenient principles? What with your high and mighty holier than thou piece about helping 4 lads along who you say are/were violent drunks, you don?t get any kudos here, what about 4 decent lads who you never gave a helping hand too?
Christian Watson
84   Posted 24/10/2008 at 08:30:06

Leopards, Spots! Say no more

Dave Wilson
85   Posted 24/10/2008 at 08:24:34

Al

Don't be a complete idiot, I have taken on dozens of lads without a "past" too. It wasn't a high and mighty post, I was giving a few examples from personal experience, so I "don't get any kudos"? I think I might be able to live with that.
Al Nolan
86   Posted 24/10/2008 at 09:08:10

Dave
The original article was about Joey Barton not you or your ?lads? and Barton is in no way deserving of another, thats right Dave, another chance.
It?s obvious by your post that you hire/fire staff and again you miss the point. It doesn?t matter how many ?good lads? you?ve given a job too, there will be 4 who you haven?t because you chose to give those jobs to lads/men of violence. My belief is you wanted kudos otherwise you wouldn?t have gone to the lengths you did to explain your reasoning with the obvious intent on getting the bleeding heart liberals to back you up.
Just to let you know.. I may not be a mastermind contestant but I?m certainlly no idiot either. I never insulted you personally did I so please don?t insult me.
Ciarán McGlone
87   Posted 24/10/2008 at 09:31:42

Comparing the multiple occurences of GBH that Barton has committed - to the alcohol addiction of George Best, really is a shortcut past thinking.

Tony, shame on you.
Paul Gladwell
88   Posted 24/10/2008 at 09:37:45

Could you imagine what will happen when he is in town with shite fans giving him stick? This is one conversation my mate had with him in town a couple of years back.

M "Alright Joe not a good day for City, bad result"
JB "So what, I played well"
M. "What are you a blue or red then?"
JB. "Used to be blue hate the fucking pair of them now."
M. "Bet you will end up playing for them though one day."
JB. "Will I fuck, neither of them could afford me."

This horrible attitude has been in his blood since a kid, you would think he was a nogga dog or whatever they call themselves and all that reformed shouts are just for the cameras. He will do it again, which is a shame as he is what we need in midfield.

Paul Gladwell
89   Posted 24/10/2008 at 09:49:45

By the way Tony, Best had an illness, that prick is just a street rat, but you obviously know his family or something coming out with shit like you have ? what have Pienaar and Osman done wrong other than conduct themselves correctly professional wise for a few years to warrant millionaire status, even if they are not world beaters? This fucker is made for life and has done fuck all to warrant that reward except to show violence and threats to people, you know nearly glassing Richard Dunne in that Thailand incident, fucking scum.
Brian Egan
90   Posted 24/10/2008 at 10:23:50

Ed Fitzgerald.
Duncan Ferguson never went to prison for the headbutting incident alone. He went to prison following this incident as it was a culmination of assaults he had committed. The first being on a young civilian in Glasgow closely followed by an assault on a Police Officer. As soon as he signed for Everton he was arrested and convicted of drink driving. Ferguson then became a hero with some people even though he couldn?t be arsed playing most of the time.

Now I dont like Joey Barton and I dont think he?s a very talented footballer but for people to say that they don?t want Barton anywhere near an Everton shirt but to look at Ferguson as some kind of God is extremely hypocitical. In my opinion both are scumbags.

Ed Fitzgerald
91   Posted 24/10/2008 at 10:31:13

Brian

Thanks for the Ferguson update, some of that information you provided me with I did not know so thanks. Unlike many Blues I don?t treat Ferguson as a god. I do however think Barton's offences make him an entirely inappropriate player to sign. I suppose what irks many people is the nature of Barton's offences i.e. the cowardice of his assaults and his repeated claims to have cleaned up his act. So while I agree that many fans view Ferguson through rose tinted glasses, I do think to sign Barton would be sending out the wrong message.
Al Nolan
92   Posted 24/10/2008 at 10:29:29

What's all this comparison with Duncan Ferguson? He was jailed because the police wanted to make a spectacle of him and the SFA were in cahoots with them. Please remember that the guy he headbutted ?on the field of play? not in the street did not press charges!

He was a young man then himself too and as we don?t know the facts surrounding his fight with some other young fella and a copper, how the hell can we judge him.. (btw the drink drive charge is a civil offence, not criminal).

Brian Egan, talking about being hypocritical, did you sit on your hands then when Duncan scored those goals? Please remember, the post is about Barton whose terrible crimes are well documented and evidenced showing him to be an evil cowardly thug who has had more than one chance.

Barry Sherlock
93   Posted 24/10/2008 at 10:50:56

Brian Egan,
You are wrong.
He went to prison for headbutting John Mcstay.
That is what he was arrested for. That is what the Sherriff looked at. They were the witnesses in the court stand. He went to prison for an offence that is committed every other week in most leagues. The SFA brought the charges against DF and that is why he vowed to never play for them again. The media made him out to be a very violent man and I agree the other offences that he committed prior to and after the McStay headbutt incident did play a part in the minds of the Sherriff, but it was not on the charge sheet.

Duncan will always be a hero for what he did on the pitch for Everton. He did some minor things off it - the Police Officer or Celtic fan that fancied a piece was another minor thing that got blow out of proportion in the media.

Duncan Ferguson is not a scumbag.
Darrel Pugh
94   Posted 24/10/2008 at 11:55:11

Spare a thought for poor old Mark Ward he was a bit of a thug and is still inside, then again he was not that popular as far as I can remember.
Charlie Dixon
95   Posted 24/10/2008 at 12:36:34

Tony Marsh, I believe you know nothing about where he?ll be in January. Although i have had my suspicions that you might actually be him as you speak as much shit and have that same narky nature as the gobshite.

He is a thug, racist, moron who if ever dons the blue shirt will get a torrent of abuse by myself including every opposing fan, which is exactly the moment he?ll go over the top on some player, get banned for life while we pay his dirty wages.

He should be banned and is massively over-rated. Newcastle reject... no thanks!
John French
96   Posted 24/10/2008 at 12:37:09

I actually met Joey Barton in a chippy after a night out in town. He was friendly enough with me but had a bit of an attitude on him, being a bit arrogant towards a few others (bit of banter, got a tad over the top; he seemed particularly sour about the chants at goodison about his brother).

He gave me some of his drink, and me in my intoxicated state knocked it over and swilled him, covered his pants and shirt. I was expecting a cigar to the eye after some of the stories I?d heard about him, but he just said not to worry about it and kept on having a laugh and a joke.

So I don?t really know what to think when I see all the incidents he?s been involved in, whether it's been extreme provocation (still no excuse for the serious assaults I admit) or just too much booze and I got lucky and caught him on a good night.

Based on chatting to him and from a footballing point of view, I?d be willing to give him one chance to prove himself in a blue shirt. I think he could add something to our team if he gets back to the form of his best City days.

Simon Jones
97   Posted 24/10/2008 at 13:05:58

I’ll nail my colours to the mast here, I thought that Barton was exactly the sort of player we should go for when he was at City. Tough lad, good tackler, likes a shot, local boy, all in all a good player who at had at least made the fringes of the England set-up. But too many scrapes with authority makes me glad we didn’t sign him. I would love to see him put his problems behind him and play like he really can, but I fear he needs a total change of environment, like a move abroad.

Mind you, maybe we could swop him for Van der Meyde and put him on pay if you play.
Steve Syder
98   Posted 24/10/2008 at 13:40:23

I’d rather we were relegated than let that piece of shit put a blue shirt on.
Brian Egan
99   Posted 24/10/2008 at 14:24:36

Barry

I know this thread's not about Duncan Ferguson but just a few points.

When a person has been found guilty of an offence, the judge prior to passing sentence will always look at the persons previous character and convictions. In Ferguson's case he was sent to prison for not just the headbutt but also the previous assaults. If the headbutt was the only occassion he had been prosecuted for assualt it is extremely unlikely he would have receieved a custodial sentence. The point I was making was that there is not much difference between Barton and Ferguson.

As for Ferguson being a hero because of what he done on the pitch, thats another debate, because I can?t recall him doing too much apart from the odd kissing of a tattoo and that was when he could actually be bothered to play.

James Brand
100   Posted 24/10/2008 at 14:56:01

hmmmm...I’m also divided.

Great article BTW...got lots of response.

I just look at the facts. Calling JB a decidedly average player I think is unfair. I don’t think he’s world class but I do think he is a very good player and other than his off-the-field antics, certainly fits Moyes’ brand of player.

Should he be given another chance? Well if he was my son, then yes I’d be sreaming for him to receive another chance. But if I was the father of the kid battered outside McDonalds then I think I’d be screaming for him to go back to prison.

I guess the course of wisdom is to wait till Jan and see where we and he is. If we’re struggling, I do think he’d be a great asset...I really do. Jags was branded a ’decidedly-average’ player, but I think he was one of the star performers last season at centre back.

If he has behaved and stayed off the juice over XMAS, then yeah, I think he’s worth a gamble.

Sorry...but I do genuinely think he was a very promising player and if he can recapture that form I think it will be a great signing for £4m
Ciarán McGlone
101   Posted 24/10/2008 at 15:24:34

Al Nolan,

Drink driving is certainly not a civil offence...it is a criminal offence and trying to belittle it in that way is ridiculous.
Barry Sherlock
102   Posted 24/10/2008 at 14:45:52

Brian,
I take your point; DF was convicted of the McStay headbutt and upon sentencing the Sherriff took the previous convictions into consideration and therefore gave DF 6 months. He only served 3 months due to good behaviour.

Agreed.

I disagree with you that DF is not that different to JB. Barton is an out and out thug. DF was not that bad. He never battered any team mates. Never stumped out a cigar in a young lads eye. Never battered some young lad on the floor in a city centre.

DF bashed a burglar. Silly Thief.
DF butted a police officer, but there were mitigating circumstances.

Dunc was also an injury prone player. I don’t think it was a case he couldn’t be bothered playing for the blues. He did score some important goals. Wore the captains armband with pride. I’ll remember being there when he scored his only hat-trick. I’ll never forget the goal against Man Utd. IMO we shouldn’t think of him as a thug. He’s certainly no role model but he isn’t a thug either.
Barry Sherlock
103   Posted 24/10/2008 at 16:10:22

Brian,
One more thing.....
DF got a custodial sentence - taking into consideration other offences.....

Barton was convicted of a further assault WHILST IN PRISON and the judge gave him a suspended sentence.....

figure that one out!
Fred Ove Olsen
104   Posted 24/10/2008 at 16:39:56

We need a fighter in the midfield, we want a better midfield. So give JB a new chance.
Tony Williams
105   Posted 24/10/2008 at 17:14:10

Two words settled it for me.....Repeat Offender.....nuff said.
Gavin Ramejkis
106   Posted 24/10/2008 at 17:17:14

Barry Sherlock you incorrectly use DF’s custodial sentence as a comparison to JB’s court dealings. Scottish law is very very very different from English law. English law made a complete arse of itself when dealing with the French Twat Cantona where his sentence was to play football with kids for a far greater offence than DF’s in which even his supposed victim McStay spoke in his defence, unfortunately as a fourth conviction for assault they chose to give him a room at Barlinnie.

Watch the freely available narratives and footage on both DF’s headbutt which was more of a head to head push, then watch the Cantona attempt to hospitalise the Palace fan and Joey Barton’s knockout on Church Street and read the narratives on his sustained assault from behind on his former team mate at Man City, his assault with a cigar and then repost saying DF was a far bigger thug having had a chance to consider the documented evidence.
Dave Wilson
107   Posted 24/10/2008 at 19:00:19

Al Nolan

I answered a direct question from Brian williams, but your far too busy hurling accusations to read back and understand that

I have no interest whatsoever as to why you think I posted

D F regularly knocked over people nowhere near his size over, it wasnt a one off I can think of 4 incidents right now off the top of my head, this isnt an attack on DF, I just thought I’d point out what a hypocritical little gobshite you are
Jeremy Benson
108   Posted 24/10/2008 at 19:43:38

Dave,

give him a chance...
Dave Wilson
109   Posted 24/10/2008 at 19:48:57

Jeremy

unlike your good self I am most definitely no angel. so I recognise a sinner, so of course I’ll give him a chance,

I’d even give you a chance . . . .regardless of the way I feel about hypocrites
Jeremy Benson
110   Posted 24/10/2008 at 20:03:48

Cheers Dave,

but you’re guessing at me being a hypocrite.

Dave Wilson
111   Posted 24/10/2008 at 20:06:21

You're right Jeremy

I am guessing.

As you never answered when I asked you if you were whiter than white, I foolishly assumed you weren?t
My mistake, My apologies.
Dave Moorcroft
112   Posted 24/10/2008 at 20:28:52

The history of Joey Barton is absolutley shite. And I think he got of very lightly considering. As regards him becoming an EFC player I think it's out of the question because it would give the totally wrong signals out, ie: that we have sunk that deep into the gutter that we are prepared to take any peice of shit that may deflect the attention away from the people who are really responsible for the demise of our club. Remember he attacked with venom a 15-year-old Evertonian in Thailand for having a bit of banter with him in the team hotel.

When I watched his interveiw on Sky yesterday, it was all about himself; I didn't once hear him say he was sorry for the pain and upset he caused to anyone else in regards to all his attacks on the people he fucked up. Then we would have the referees and the FA or the men in grey suits saying, "Lets get rid of that club who always seem to give bullies and thugs the breaks they don't deserve". As if they don't already fuck us over at every opportunity. To compare him with Peter Reid is an insult. The only comparison is they both come from Huyton. I also don't think he's that good. So I would say NO.

Steve Taylor
113   Posted 24/10/2008 at 21:22:26

Joey Barton, "the next Peter Reid", please get a grip. That insults Peter on so many levels, it doesn’t merit further discussion.
Yes: Barton is a talented footballer.
Yes: God knows we need talented footballers at this moment.
Yes: He has paid his debt to society, and desrves another chance.
But: Unless he is prepared to stay holed up in his penthouse flat (wherever that may be), he can never walk the streets of Liverpool with impunity ever again. Sad, but true!!
Fact: We have some talented footballers who have gone missing!!
They need to get their acts together or piss off!!
Arteta for England???
I would like him to play for Everton first, as he has been missing for 18 months!
JAGS FOR CAPTAIN!!
Thats the way forard.
Al Nolan
114   Posted 25/10/2008 at 01:47:37

Dave Wilson, through the way you try to berate and belittle people it seems you are of the same ilk as Mr Barton therefore you defend him. And for your information, I?m not a hypocrite, I?m certainly not little and most definately not a gobshite. But thanks for showing everyone your true nature.

Back to the subject, it seems by the reaction to the original post that people are no longer wanting to give 2nd chances to thugs and those who want him at the club do so because they think he?s a good footballer and think because of that you can forgive him anything. I?m glad the majority are beginning to feel that no matter how good you are at a job it does not excuse crimes against decent society.

Al Nolan
115   Posted 25/10/2008 at 02:11:17

Ciaran McGlone...
Drink driving in itself is not a criminal offence, it is any other acts surrounding or being caused by the act of drink driving, for example, causing death or injury to the person, that actually criminalises the offence. Rightly or wrongly that is the law and I was not trivialisng the act but pointing out that Ferguson was not criminalised for the act of drink driving therefore not a serial criminal like Barton.
Daniel Howard
116   Posted 25/10/2008 at 04:17:11

Is this a joke? If you are driving down the M6 after 12 pints, its only an offence if you injure somebody? Rubbish.
Dave Wilson
117   Posted 25/10/2008 at 07:41:17

Al

Keep digging lad, that's an impressive CV your carving out for yourself there.
Paul Gladwell
118   Posted 25/10/2008 at 08:03:10

Al, how come you can get done for drink driving just by having your car keys on you and not even in your car? Getting silly this mate.
Chris Matty
119   Posted 25/10/2008 at 08:19:08

I don?t like Joey Barton and don?t want him. However, song quotes aside, the article is fundamentally flawed from its title: he may claim to be an Everton supporter but I would not accept that transferring Barton would be bringing him ?home?.