FAN ARTICLES

This is What I Want

By Paul Tran :  29/10/2008 :  Comments (26) :
Moyes and Kenwright have rightly copped a lot of stick this calendar year.

When I give such opinions, I am countered with some strange observations, regarding what I apparently 'want', such as a return to the Smith years, or another mediocre British pro-licence mid-table coach to replace the superior version we currently have.

So this is what I want:

I want our expensive coaching staff to train our expensive footballers to pass to each other and have the confidence to do so regularly. If they can't do this, what the heck are they paid for?

I want our strikers to play in the opposition half, preferably near their goal. That way, there's more chance they will score and earn their money. Also the added bonus of them not giving away free kicks from which our opponents score.

I want our team to have more than one player who can pass and take free kicks, rather than look to Arteta. No wonder he looks shot to bits.

I want my club to have a proper scouting system, so we can get quality young players for next to nothing, rather than pay £15m for 'one for the future'

I want a bigger squad, so that we can maintain our winning runs and not see good players physically and mentally shattered and losing their confidence because they can't cope with the demands of the way we currently play.

I want our manager to have the balls to bring in some strong characters who can fix things on the pitch. The best managers increase their authority by giving some of it to their stronger players.

I want our manager to stop moaning about agents and just close some deals. Remember that it was Crystal Palace's refusal to deal with an agent that got us Cahill.

If our manager is so highly regarded around the football world, I'd like to see him attract some quality young English players to the club that's finished 6th & 5th in the last two seasons.

I want some sense that we're going in some kind of planned direction, rather than the 'make do and mend' approach over the past few years.

This might seem like utopian nonsense to some ? just seems like common sense to me. Instead of moaning about 'money', 'agents' why don't we change our attitude, spend some time building the future of the club properly? This may involve the current management, it may involve additional specialist coaching, management, or scouting staff. What matters is that we build on the improvements of the last two years, rather than standing still, doing nothing and hoping, just hoping that something will change from somewhere.

Reader Comments

Dave Lynch
1   Posted 29/10/2008 at 14:32:55

Agree totally Paul.
When you break it down to bare bones, passing a football to a player in the same colour shirt and playing players in their correct positions is not rocket science.
Michael Hunt
2   Posted 29/10/2008 at 14:31:53

Same here Paul, it’s not rocket science is it.
After all it is results that matter, not excuses. COYB!
John Waugh
3   Posted 29/10/2008 at 15:07:03

I want us to stop bringing everyone back for corners. Leave one of the smaller players upfield and who knows, one day we may actually get a chance on the break.
Simple really!
Ciarán McGlone
4   Posted 29/10/2008 at 16:06:36

Can I add a quite crucial one...

I want our manager to learn from his mistakes..starting with not playing neville in midfield tonight!!!!!

I doubt i’ll see this one materialise.
Alex Kociuba
5   Posted 29/10/2008 at 16:12:57

I agree with John Waugh - we very rarely have anyone outside the box when we defend corners. Having someone on the halfway line whilst defending a corner naturally draws back two or three of their defenders, which in turn makes them two less strong in attack, easier for us to defend and a half chance of us making a counter attack.

Neil w
6   Posted 29/10/2008 at 16:00:35

I agree also...and I would like ...somebody else to take a throw in.
Mr Chucklebrother listen closely.."You dont have a very long throw in, ok? let somebody else take one."
Marc Williams
7   Posted 29/10/2008 at 17:11:12

Paul, agree with yours & the other comments so far 100%.

COYB please beat Bolton tonight & settle my nerves a bit !

Brian Waring
8   Posted 29/10/2008 at 17:48:51

Problem is Paul, what we want, and what we get, well you know the rest.
p caslin
9   Posted 29/10/2008 at 18:35:06

i want you lot to realise theres 2 teams on the field, its not as " easy" as you make it out to be in your plan of attack!!!!
Mike Hayes
10   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:18:09

any links for tonights match? Tried Justintv but all in German even joining
cyril walne
11   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:23:36

for links - try:

maybe someone will be broadcasting on sopcast.
cyril walne
12   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:28:10

Mike Hayes
13   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:34:20

Nothing on myp2p
Michael Hunt
14   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:34:34

I also want a proper replacement for Lee Carsley! This excellent BBC piece on Super Lee highlights his worth...

Andy Crooks
15   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:41:06

Ciaran,if Neville plays in midfield tonight it will,for me,take the gloss of Saturdays second half performance.Surely to God even David Moyes can see that Phil Neville is a bloody good captain,a decent full back but a very ordinary midfielder.
By the way,is Castillo,injured or has he offended the manager?
Michael Williams
16   Posted 29/10/2008 at 19:55:38

For Neville to play in midfield that means Tony Hibbert would have to play right back..Please God no..Found it funny on EFCs website it has HIBBO BACK as one of the main headlines.. Big deal he only missed one game (which was best performance of season) and when he is in the team he is the main culprit of this Hoofball I have been reading about on Toffeeweb..And anytime we concede a goal he always seems to be the one standing and watching the player who scores (both goals vs Newcastle just for example), If he would have played against United ShrekHead would have plonked himself on Hibbo like he usually does and would have ran riot along with Barbie Boy Ronaldo, while Hibbo stood and watched with his hands tucked in his sleeves like a 12 year old school boy as per norm.. Oh it did mention on Hibbos section on the EFC website that Cahill is back as well (Surely more appealing news to us fans). If everybody is fit who played on Saturday then leave well alone.. COYB.
Trevor Lynes
17   Posted 29/10/2008 at 20:05:43

Fully agree..we should build on the way we played in the 2nd half against Man Utd and we should soon be moving in the right direction..BUT, the game is 90 mins and 45 mins of spirit will not do every week...we also need to bolster the squad in January otherwise I fear a repeat of the decline in the last weeks of the season when fatigue,injuries and suspensions bite..Ive moaned about our scouts for the past few years, we should have found some young talented players without having to shovel out lots of dosh..
David Marsdeb
18   Posted 29/10/2008 at 20:34:23

I want doesn’t get
Martin Hughes
19   Posted 29/10/2008 at 21:18:26

Fully agree, with the authors comments on this one.

Drop Neville back to RB and Hibbert, I think we have a major problem at RB!, hopefully Lars Jacobsen is the answere. I reckon we will sneak it 1-0 tonight!
Mick Hoban
20   Posted 30/10/2008 at 00:39:01

Martin Hughes

What are Fridays Lottery numbers please ?!!!!

COYB
Julie Naybour
21   Posted 30/10/2008 at 00:57:47

Sorry but this strikes me as a very naive article. You haven?t said anything that we don?t all want and that I am sure Moysey and Kenwright want and know is needed more than anyone else. I would like a wardrobe full of designer clothes but sadly that takes more money than I?ve got. Most of your wish list depends money we?ve not got so just how do you expect this to transpire?

It sounded to me that a better scouting system was one of the main causes of the delay in Moyses contract as he knows that is lacking. It seems like he?s fought tooth and nail for just that.

A bigger squad ? absolutely... but we can only just afford what we?ve got!! Why can?t we attract bigger names well it doesn?t matter what the reputation of a manager ? simple ? greedy footballers want more MONEY!

Building a team with a sense of purpose and forward planning takes time and patience, especially when you?ve not got money and they are things a lot of fans don?t seem to have.

Ste McKenny
22   Posted 30/10/2008 at 03:02:18

It's not broke ? don't fix it! Dur! Please oh please do not play Mr Neville in midfield ever again. He himself has shown what a quality right back he is and this is probably the reason Moyes bought him. If TH & TC are fit at the moment so what! That said Yak & Louis need a few games... there was little if any understanding of Saha?s flicks and knocks on?s by Yak.....

Get JV or VA with LS and drop the Yak for the FFC game it will do him the world of good... check last season?s state when Moyes last done that... COYB

Tony Williams
23   Posted 30/10/2008 at 14:44:12

I want a nymphomaniac who owns her own pub........ but as MIck Jagger sung, "You can?t always get what you want!"
Paul Tran
24   Posted 31/10/2008 at 09:54:51

Julie, thanks for responding constructively. I’m not asking for ’big money’ players. I know we can’t afford them.

I’m just surprised that considering we’ve finished 6th and 5th in the last two seasons and have a ’great young manager’, we struggle to get players at all. Surely it’s more than ’money’?

Does it really cost a fortune to get highly paid ’licenced’ coaches to teach highly paid footballers to pass a ball and have the confidence to do so under pressure?

Does it really cost a lot of money and take seven years to build a reliable and consistent scouting system?

If we can find £15m for a ’promising young player’ on deadline day, is it really financially impossible for us to attract and keep young English talent?

Considering that for as long as I can remember, ’we have no money’, I expected Moyes to make a scouting system a relatively cheap priority from day one.

Anybody know how much Man City’s scouting system costs? Perhaps we should have poached the guy who runs that instead of the guy who made Newcastle great last season?

Joe Clarke
25   Posted 31/10/2008 at 21:04:55

Why do you need a lot of money to spend to get players of the same side, who can pass to each other? This manager is not a winner. Agree with most of the original article.
Neil Quinn
26   Posted 01/11/2008 at 08:49:48

Do you know what annoys me the most? The fact that we can actually play it on the deck but don’t. Think back to some of the games last season such as the UEFA Cup matches, Sunderland at home, Newcastle at home, Pompey, United away & the first half against Arsenal. All played at a high tempo with quick passing and everybody moving.

Practically the same players this season who seem to be panic-stricken into getting rid of the ball at all costs.