Skip to Main Content
Members:   Log In Sign Up
Text:  A  A  A

FA Youth Cup, 2008-09

Everton's Youth Academy didn't get all that far in this season's FA Youth Cup, falling to penalties against Norwich Town after a thinking they had won it with the first goal of the game in extra time

Youth Cup, 2007-08     Youth Cup, 2009-10 


This season's FA Youth Cup campaign for Everton's Under-18s Academy side...
Results & Fixtures  This season's Everton FA Youth Cup campaign
Match Details  Team sheet and brief report 
Appearances  Appearance records and goals scored 
     Everton Under-18s, 2008-09                 Everton Reserves, 2008-09
There are no replays in the FA Youth Cup.  Ties must be settled on the night, with extra-time and then a penalty shoot-out, if needed.  The semi-final and final are played as two-legged affairs.  All matches must be played at the home side's senior stadium. Everton last won the FA Youth Cup in 1998
Day   Date  Rnd  Ven Opponents               Res    Scorers                  

Tue 16 Dec   3   (h) Nantwich Town           W 2-0  Codling, Bidwell                 
Tue  9 Jan   4   (a) Burnley                 W 3-1  Codling, Rodwell, McCready
Thu  6 Feb   5   (h) Norwich City            L 1-1  McArdle  (aet: 1-4 on penalties)
FA Youth Cup 3rd Round
Tuesday 16 December 2008
Goodison Park, Liverpool
Everton:  Roberts; McArdle, Barnett, Duffy, Bidwell; McCready, Akpan, Wallace, Craig; Codling, McAleny. 
Subs not used: Nsiala, Kinsella, Sheppard, Powell, Krenn.   Scorers: Codling, Bidwell
Yellow Cards:  .  Ref: ___ Att: ...

Everton had numerous opportunities (29!) but only four of those were on target. Conor McAleny was wide with a header and a shot early on and although Everton dominated the early proceedings, Nantwich keeper Marcus Cooper wasnt seriously troubled. Tom McCready fired a rising 25-yard shot over the bar on 22 minutes, while Lee McArdle also fizzed a low cross-shot across the face of goal.

But Everton finally broke the deadlock seven minutes before the break. Lewis Codling, who had also had a couple of efforts off target, pounced after Nathan Craigs pass was only half-cleared to the edge of the area, and the Bootle-born forward fired past Cooper with an excellent low strike. Nantwich almost drew level minutes later, but thankfully Liam Prince fired over after be broke in behind the Everton back-line.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Everton creating numerous chances, but failing to take them. Hope Akpan almost finished off a superb move between James Wallace, McCready and Codling, but the central midfielder rising shot from the edge of area whistled just over the bar.

McAleny was denied in quick succession just before the hour mark. He saw his looping shot clawed away by Cooper and after Craig played the ball back into him the 16-year-old forward had his effort deflected over by Nantwich captain Adam Dawson. But from the Craigs corner Everton made it 2-0 as England under-15s international full-back Jake Bidwell rose to superbly head home.

Everton kept pressing, but McAleny scuffed a shot wide on 70 minutes after being played in by his strike partner Codling. Codling was denied a second goal on the night five minutes when his header was cleared off the line by Dawson. The Cheshire side had been tidy in possession and battled well, but had few chances to trouble Evertons schoolboy keeper Connor Roberts.

But with 13 minutes remaining the youngster had to be at his best to stop Nantwich reducing the arrears. Princes curling strike from 25 yards was superbly tipped around for a corner by Roberts. Everton could have scored a few more late on. Codling was denied as Craig Edwards nipped the ball away from him as he was about to shoot. Then McCready should have made it 3-0, but he lifted his shot inches wide after being played in by James Wallace.

FA Youth Cup 4th Round
Tuesday 9 January 2009
Fraser Eagle Stadium, Accrington
Everton:  Davies; Duffy, Barnett, Rodwell, McCarten; Akpan, McCready, Wallace; Codling (87' Powell), Baxter, Craig.
Subs not used:  Roberts, Bidwell, Kinsella, McAleny.  Scorers: Codling (48'), Rodwell (59'), McCready (72')
Yellow Cards:
 .....  Ref: ___ Att: ___
Chances were at a premium in a scrappy first half that saw Blues pair James Wallace and Hope Akpan both cautioned inside the first 10 minutes.  For Everton, Lewis Codling had a 12th minute effort deflected narrowly wide and Baxter's curling free kick from 20 yards was just too high. But the closest the Toffees came to an opener was just after the half hour mark when a close range header by Akpan was palmed away by Burnley keeper Stefan Ritchie.

It wasn't all one-way traffic though, and at the other end Shane Duffy did well to block a goal-bound effort from Michael King. Then, just before the break, Adam Davies got down well to smother a low drive from Alex Harvey. But the deadlock was soon broken, just three minutes into the second half. Ritchie made a good save from an excellent Baxter snapshot but Codling was on hand to nod home the rebound.

Shortly after the goal, Davies did well again to deny Burnley striker Wesleigh Fletcher. But on 59 minutes, Everton doubled their lead. Tom McCready whipped in a fantastic free kick and Rodwell, up from central defence, was well placed to head it past the keeper.

Everton were now in full control and Codling headed a Duffy cross narrowly wide and Baxter shot straight at Ritchie before the inevitable third goal arrived. Moses Barnett sent over a deep cross from the left and McCready slid in at the far post to poke home on 72 minutes. 

But Burnley reduced the deficit almost immediately when James Craggs scored from close range. The Lancashire effort couldn't mount an unlikely comeback though, and Everton booked themselves another Goodison date.

 EVERTON 1 - 1 NORWICH CITY (aet: 1 - 4 on penalties)
FA Youth Cup 4th Round
Tuesday 5 February 2009
Goodison Park, Merseyside
Everton: Davies; McArdle (110' Kinsella), Barnett, McCarten, Duffy; Akpan, McCready (87' McAleny), Wallace; Codling (62' Powell), Baxter, Bidwell.
Subs not used:  Roberts, ???  Scorers: McArdle
Yellow Cards:
 .  Ref: ___ Att: ___
After a goalless 90 minutes, a thunderbolt free-kick from Lee McArdle looked to have given the young Blues victory. Both sides had struck the woodwork before the Welsh youth international belted home a 102nd minute strike. But an error from keeper Adam Davies allowed the Canaries to equalise with nine minutes left and then visiting goalie Declan Rudd saved three penalties in the shootout.

The Toffees were dealt an early blow when Nathan Craig limped out of the warm up. Jake Bidwell stepped in, and looked keen to impress in the opening minutes. One of his surges lead to a seventh minute Tom McCready corner, which Shane Duffy glanced dangerously across goal, Lewis Codling couldn't prod it in though. Jose Baxter laid in Codling again moments later but his first-time shot was well over.

Josh Dawkin had the visitors' first effort midway through the half, his effort was never going to trouble Davies though. Canaries custodian Rudd was in action seconds later when Bidwell played in Hope Akpan. The rangy midfielder was clean through but the couldn't beat the keeper.

Korey Smith had appeared Norwich's main threat early on, a notion he underlined with a shimmy and shot in the 31st minute that warmed Davies' hands. After the break Norwich hit the bar from the troublesome Dawkin's 49th minute strike, as he capitalised on a mistake by Barnett and sent in an effort that cannoned down off the woodwork and bounced on the goal line before it was cleared.

By way of reply, Baxter lashed a wild left foot effort way off target and James Wallace went somewhat closer with his 57th minute snapshot. The same player threatened again before Dakin was allowed to run unchallenged into the box in the 70th minute. His shot went inches wide.

Just as extra time seemed to be beckoning, Baxter drilled a left foot effort wide with ten minutes left, the strike the result of a swift Everton counter. From the next attack Danny Kelly hit the post when through on goal for the visitors. For the second night running the Toffees would have to endure extra time.

Just five minutes into the extra period, subs Luke Powell and Conor McAleny combined well, with the former striking the inside of the post as he bore down on goal. Dawkin again shot wide moments later, but a moment of class gave Everton the lead after all of 102 minutes.

McArdle's free kick from 22 yards went like an absolute rocket past Rudd, who probably didn't even see it. Ecstasy for McArdle was soon followed by agony for Davies in the Everton goal. On 111 minutes, Tom Adeyemi's less than powerful shot went straight through the legs of the unfortunate keeper.

Penalties ensued and after James McCarten had scored for Everton, Bidwell, Duffy and Baxter all had their efforts saved by Rudd. 

Player Apps (Sub) Goals
 Adam Davies 2 (0) 0
 Connor Roberts 1 (0) 0
 Lee McArdle 2 (0) 1
 Moses Barnett 3 (0) 0
 Shane Duffy 3 (0) 0
 Jose Baxter 2 (0) 0
 Jake Bidwell 2 (0) 1
 Jack Rodwell 1 (0) 1
 Tom McCready 3 (0) 1
 James McCarten 2 (0) 0
 Hope Akpan 3 (0) 0
 James Wallace 3 (0) 0
 Nathan Craig 2 (0) 0
 Lewis Codling 3 (0) 2
 Conor McAleny 1 (1) 0
 Karl Sheppard 0 (0) 0
 George Krenn 0 (0) 0
 Luke Powell 0 (2) 0
 Aristote Nsiala 0 (0) 0
 Gerard Kinsella 0 (1) 0
 John Nolan 0 (0) 0


We use cookies to enhance your experience on ToffeeWeb and to enable certain features. By using the website you are consenting to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.