Tim Cahill takes on the Defence

I am in the Australian Army and an Everton tragic. When Tim Cahill was in Sydney recently conducting his football clinics, I managed to get in touch with his management through a mate of mine and arrange for him to assume the role of Honorary Patron of Australian Defence Force Football.

The story and photos link is at the Aussie FourFourTwo website.

He was such a genuine bloke who gave more time than he had available. A great advert for all the things that remain good about football.

Tony Anetts, Sydney, Australia     Posted 23/06/2011 at 12:21:58

Comments

Stefan Tosev
1   Posted 23/06/2011 at 19:53:02

Believe it or not but this is the best news I have read about Everton in the last month.

Hope you had great time :)
Kiern Moran
2   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:04:11

He is a good lad Mr Cahill, proud to see him give some time back to those who put their lives in the line for our freedoms.
Sean McCarthy
3   Posted 23/06/2011 at 21:11:03

Follow him on Twitter and you ll see what a genuinely all round decent bloke he is. Plus his banter with Phil Neville is 1st class
Col Noon
4   Posted 23/06/2011 at 22:08:41

I follow Tim hes a top lad and has been a phenomonal signing for us. Any blues that are on Twitter follow me @Col_N_EFC and I follow back. The blue community on Twitter is fantastic and to be honest is getting me through the difficult summer we face ahead.
Matt Traynor
5   Posted 24/06/2011 at 04:52:42

Tony, I saw that article yesterday. He really is a great ambassador for EFC. I managed to get him to meet around 90 of us in Singapore in 2007, when the Socceroos were on a 10 day training camp. To say the FFA were not in favour was an understatement, but he got to know about it months before back (on the treatment table) at Goodison.

I agreed a 30 minute interview with Q&A session. The FFA "minders" told me he could stay a bit longer, but they wanted him back at the hotel for midnight. We over-ran to about an hour. But everyone who wanted a photo and autograph got one, apart from kids, who got as many as they wanted.
Russell Buckley
6   Posted 24/06/2011 at 05:32:14

He loves the Australian National side and Everton. His actions show he will go to just about any lenght for both.

Class player and someone we can be proud of. I just wish he was younger so we could keep him around for longer. But I have no doubt he will return down under at some point to play on into his old age in the A league and develop his academies.
Stephen Kenny
7   Posted 24/06/2011 at 07:53:45

Once again he proves himself a class apart from his peers!

Undoubtedly he is universally loved and respected by Evertonians as much for what he does off the pitch as on it.

No doubt in any press interviews etc. relating to this he will have made a positive mention of the Blues.
Karl Meighan
8   Posted 24/06/2011 at 11:06:24

Top player, top attitude and it seems a top man also.

Cahill swapping shirts with a Evertonian after the Aus v Brazil game in Munich was superb.

The 20-minute shift he put in whilst half-fit against Man City towards the end of last season showed what we miss when he doesn't play and the influence he has on us.

Let's hope he stays fit enough to annoy opponents for another few years.
Matt Traynor
9   Posted 25/06/2011 at 03:28:07

Russell #6, I don't know how serious he was, but he was saying he didn't really fancy playing in the A League, but he might try his luck at Aussie Rules... I wouldn't put it past him!