Members:   Log In Sign Up

Would you if you could?

I?m sure many of you have noticed tonight?s Euro Millions jackpot is £105 million, and I?m sure more of you will go out and buy a ticket ? I know I will.

My question to you is ? if you won the jackpot, would you ?invest? any into Everton?

Personally I would look to wipe the club's debt so the club could start again with a clean slate and all the current interest repayments could go towards the squad. As a condition, I would ask Mr Kenwright to step aside as Chairman; however, if I?m honest, I would still ?invest? the money regardless ? I just want to see the glory days of the 80s which I missed.

So... would you if you could?

NSNO

Andy Callen, Norfolk     Posted 24/06/2011 at 12:16:39

Comments

Alex Kociuba
1   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:08:31

If you cleared the debts it would give Everton a better credit rating to go back (probably further) in debt again! Giving Everton money is throwing money down the drain,

It would probably be more wise to spend a bit on advertising to find new investors and potential buyers.
Anthony Hawkins
2   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:12:31

Tough call. this one. My answer would be:

The reason being that it will take more than just a one time piece of investment to get Everton back on track. Realistically Everton need a new owner who has [more] funds available and will plough money in each season.

The current scenario is that a one off payment will provide a seasons worth of income with potential improvement on the field and final position income however where will the next seasons funding come from?

The name of the game is sustainability and one off payments won't help in that respect.

Having a minor shareholding is somewhat different as more of a fan thing and nice to have "a piece of the club!". Having anything more doesn't seem right unless you're going to be a regular investor.
Alex Kociuba
3   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:13:54

Current odds for Everton to win 2011-12 league title = 250/1

Chance of winning the Euromillions = 116,531,800/1
Christopher Brierley
4   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:16:29

I wouldn't put a penny in till there has been a change of staff at the boardroom level. They have shown that they are far from compitent at running a profitable club and like Alex says, why clear the debts if they're just gonna run another bill up? Whilst the club is constantly running at near a loss, I wouldn't put a bean near it until the ship has been steadied.
Dan McKie
5   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:19:16

I like those odds! Though, the Everton league winning odds should probably be a lot closer to the euromillions one! The only money that would be going to Everton from my winnings would be for an executive box, just because I could.
Simon Watts
6   Posted 24/06/2011 at 13:43:09

This is the problem at the moment. We are told Everton are continually looking for investment. They are not looking to sell the club, as they want someone to pump money into the club, but the current structure to stay in place. This is not an attractive invetment for anyone, even if they were an Everton fan. There is no guaranteed return, and will end up in loss. Its like giving away millions of pounds for nothing, no return, and no control of the club.
Rob Hollis
7   Posted 24/06/2011 at 14:08:25

You could do some worthwhile stuff with money like that. Financing the wages of overpaid players is not one of them.

Football clubs should stand or fall on their own ability to generate income. They have all had 'The Golden Ticket' and have blown it.

Anthony Jaras
8   Posted 24/06/2011 at 14:13:44

I would arrange a meeting with Kenwright and Moyes to ascertain which players Moyes has in his sights.

For example, if it were N'Zogbia, I would pledge to pay the transfer fee involved to bring him in.

With £105million in my bank account, I would be more than comfortable for the rest of my life, however, I would not invest any money with a view of becoming a member of the board in even the smallest capacity.

I simply wouldn't want to deal with those type of people and as a supporter, I would probably let my heart rule my head and my passion would end up with me being removed from the boardroom.

As I said though, I would fund the transfer fees of a couple of players, no doubt about it.
Mark Stone
9   Posted 24/06/2011 at 14:25:02

£105m wouldn't get usanywhere near to the glory days of the 80's. You need a bottomless pot like Man City. £400m and they scrape into the champions league. Problem with football now is that the cost of qualifing for these competitions / winning a trophy far exceeds the financial reward.
Chris Bannantyne
10   Posted 24/06/2011 at 14:33:40

That's tough. I always imagine that if I had the money I'd take over, I'm sure a lot of you are the same. But giving BK and Co money to clean the debt is not the same as buying the club. I don't think I would give them the money, but I would use it in some way to try and get a new owners in, or at least expose the current board.

However, if Everton were in imminent danger of going insolvent or something, or were certain to get relegated unless they could get a couple new signings, I suppose I would bite the bullet and give those pricks the dosh.

If I had a few billion on the other hand... The club would be ours! (I say "ours" because I would return it to the supporters and shareholders, the way it should be.)
Kevin Gillen
11   Posted 24/06/2011 at 15:06:14

No. Footballers are grossly overpaid. The game is sickeningly maladministered at all levels. The levels of debt are ridiculous. Admission prices are way too high and the stadium we are in is a disgrace. Besides I can be a miserly bugger.
Danny Broderick
12   Posted 24/06/2011 at 15:07:53

I'd wipe out the debt with an interest free loan. The club is currently paying £4.5 million a year in interest payments. They could pay me back £2 million a year until they'd paid me back. That way the club would be £2.5 million a year better off straightaway, and £4.5 million a year better off in the longer term once they'd paid me back.
Dan Parker
13   Posted 24/06/2011 at 15:53:08

I'd do something for the club like re-developing Goodison Park or building a new stadium in return for a cut of sales or some BK shares!

And I'd pay someone to drive around Anfield with a giant billboard of Duncan Ferguson.
Lee Courtliff
14   Posted 24/06/2011 at 16:02:17

Bought my ticket this morning.

I would definitely invest in some way. The thought of my own executive box sounds nice!

I think the idea of an interest free loan sounds like the right idea otherwise,as others have said,it's just throwing money away as a one-off investment wouldn't be enough.

It's alright buying a few players this summer but the problem of paying their wages over a lengthy period of time would just create more debt.

It's a nice thought all this but the reality is I had better get back to bed... nightshift tonight!
Simon Smith
15   Posted 24/06/2011 at 16:06:54

I have always loved the idea of investing some money into Everton in one form or another. Think I'd go down the same route as Anthony by saying to DM, "Pick a player or two and let's see what I can do for you..." Of course, you would have to buy the player under the everton name or you would run the wrath of the Premier League 3rd party ownership rules.

I did look into buying shares a few years back when I was left some money but after finding out it was only enough to get me a second hand car and a few Millwall shares for a laugh ended up getting the car and the Millwall shares and not the Everton ones, only to double my money on the shares and sell the car for a small profit!

Chris Bannantyne
16   Posted 24/06/2011 at 17:42:57

Yes! I like the idea of someone driving around anfield with a billboard of Duncan Ferguson!

Hell, I'd do it for free.
Don Kiddick
17   Posted 24/06/2011 at 17:58:19

It's a great thought... if money was no object I would buy Everton of course... but I would also buy Liverpool because then I could slowly but SURELY ruin them. Shit, I would not even do it slowly, I would have them relegated each season until they were playing in some obscure league...
Dan Parker
18   Posted 24/06/2011 at 18:13:52

Anyone got a van and giant Big Dunc poster? Chris is up for it!
Brian Waring
19   Posted 24/06/2011 at 19:51:08

That's an easy one to answer, they wouldn't get a fucking bean of me!
I've given them enough money over the years.
Stuart O'Malley
20   Posted 24/06/2011 at 19:52:53

Not a penny. If, from what I heard, 60% of overall running costs goes towards player wages, all you would be doing is throwing your money at vastly overpaid people. To think of all the fantastic charities for real causes like cancer research, AIDS research, children's charities etc etc that would benefit from even a fraction of those euromillions.

Why the hell would anyone give money to a game where the people involved would just cream it all for themselves anyway, not put it into improving the institution that is EFC?

Gavin Ramejkis
21   Posted 24/06/2011 at 20:52:03

Give Kenshite money? You may as well sit in your garden and build a big bonfire with it... at least that way you'd get warm for a few minutes which is a damn more return than you'd get than giving it to those useless tossers on the board.

Suppose you could plan it cleverly and buy the ground and ban the twats from it or charge them millions for a restricted seat behind a pillar and £1000 a match for the unrestricted use of a steward to put a £1000 per match blanket on their seat and charge them at least quadruple for any pre-match or half-time refreshments and ? ta da ? if they bothered their arses turning up, you'd have a new income stream to appease Platini.
Guy Hastings
22   Posted 24/06/2011 at 22:44:01

What I really need is enough money to buy the Shite and install Gary Neville as manager.
John Daley
23   Posted 24/06/2011 at 21:51:14

I'd rather invest the money in some nerdy, never-laid squawky voiced science geek fully conversant in the intricacies of the space/time continuum and with a raging hard on for robotics. I'd then finance the megaminded motherfucker to develop an indestructible cybernetic life form capable of travelling back through time disguised as Betty Turpin from Coronation Street and programmed to go all 'John Conner' on young Bill Kenwrights arse.

In an ideal world, the evil science geek in my employ would have shown enough foresight to equip 'the Turpinater' with shit hot shape shifting abilities so it could morph seamlessly into a deadly doppelgänger of that muzzy sporting twat Terry McDermott. The 'McDermottnator' would then ruthlessly dispense some pre-emptive punishment to 'King' Kenny, Ian bastard Rush, Bruce Grobelaar (basically any red shite player circa 1986) before they got the chance to crush my childhood dreams.... in the future. Judgement day you jammy bastards!

Best imaginary fortune I've ever spent.
Eric Myles
24   Posted 25/06/2011 at 01:37:38

Paying off the £80 million debt to release only £4 million of funds is not a good return on investment. Better to inject some cash into the transfer kitty over the course of a few seasons.
Matt Traynor
25   Posted 25/06/2011 at 03:58:16

I was gonna say no way. The money going out of the game now is crazy. But then I thought of Danny's idea (#12) and it's excellent.

That way I wouldn't end up splurging the lot like that "Mikey Carroll" guy so quickly. Effectively, I'd get my 2m allowance a year and have to live on that!
Matthew Lovekin
26   Posted 25/06/2011 at 10:45:45

Andy, I take it you're not married?

There's no way my missus would let me blow £105m on EFC!
John Gee
27   Posted 25/06/2011 at 14:48:29

Me: Love, we've just won the euromillions and I've decided to buy N'Zogbia and pay his wages for Everton.

Girlfriend: Who's N'Zogbia?

Me: He's that bloke who failed at Newcastle and almost got relegated at Wigan.

Girlfriend: How much will he cost?

Me: £15 mil transfer fee and about £12 mil in wages.

Girlfriend: What will he do for that money?

Me: He'll overhit every cross, maybe score 6 goals, fail to track back and every transfer window his deluded agent will try and get him a move to Man Utd.

Girlfriend: For £27 million? Wouldn't you prefer a convertible DB9 and a ten-bedroom house overlooking Lake Como?
Lee Courtliff
28   Posted 25/06/2011 at 18:40:03

I didn't win.
Simon Smith
29   Posted 25/06/2011 at 18:58:03

Well, being that no-one won it Friday night, just think what you could do with £117M...

Keep £12M and give the £105M to Everton and still feel good. Yup, that's sorted... better get me ticket first thing Monday morning.

Nelly Verdonghan
30   Posted 27/06/2011 at 09:56:09

Never in a million years.....they would only spend it on shite like Bily..

Brian #19....couldn't agree more mate