Members:   Log In Sign Up

Transfer Trash Talk #7

Before I get accused of playing Football Manager, I was thinking about how we could make some fresh additions to the squad, to keep things fresh and also get rid of some deadwood and one or two of our better so-called stars.

My thinking is, it would freshen the team up maybe put some drive back into Moyes and us fans with a new look to our side. We all know we have no money and Kenwright and the rest of the liars on our board aren't going to find or provide Moyes with funds. I have thought about who we can sell and who we can bring in that might rejuvanate us and we would only be spending what we have sold or less.

Sell/replacements
Yobo £3M ? It's pretty much a done deal now; a good player in his time but time to move him on as more mistakes were creeping into his game the last two seasons he was with us. Replacement: Shane Duffy.

Distin £2.5M ? Yes, he was one of our best performers last year but nearing 34 now and with Redknapp wanting him, I feel a deal like this is in the interests of the club and would go towards a slightly younger replacement, who for me would be Wes Brown.

Bilyaletdinov £7M ? It hasn't worked out at all with Bily; for me, he isn't up to the pysical nature and speed of the Premier League... maybe he should've been given more playing time in behind the striker but for me it's time now to cash in and £7M will probably be all we get for him. Replacement: Aiden McGeady, a possible swap for Bily, he would be ideal... McGeady isn't happy in Russia and Bily is well thought of there still, McGeady could thrive in the Prem with his pace.

Fellaini £20M ? I'm gutted to say this but I think it's inevitable he is going to go and with his contract running down too and, with his father always poking his nose in, it's time we got the best possible deal. For me, Barton and Parker would be superb replacements ? cracking in-your-face players, a type that we need and who would replace Screech well. For me, though, I would bring Barton in for the £3M that's reportedly what Newcastle want, and spend £10M on N'Zogbia, leaving that little bit extra to go towards the debt.

Yakubu £3.5M and Anichebe £2M ? I think the Yak's time is up and Moyes wants rid as quickly as possible, therefore freeing up Yak's wages and the fee would be good business for us. For me, Anichebe hasn't lived up to his potential and does not score enough goals... a few Prem teams may take a punt at that fee with Stoke most noticeably linked.

Replacements for Yak and Vic would be Hallam Hope from the youth team (after watching this kid, I think it's time we eased him into the team from the bench), with Vellios to appear more also after a few promising appearances.

But with the Yak money and Vic money coupled with the money already there from Pienaar and Vaughan, Defoe at £10M would be a perfect big-name striker for us with pace and a good goalscoring record par last season. It would also be the chance for him to resurrect his career with us and the national team.

These additions, coupled with a couple of loans ? maybe Bellamy and Wright Phillips? ... maybe Carew on a free as well, I feel would re-energise our squad and would give us pace and a new dimension. It's all feasible leaving some money towards debts and whatever else Bill uses it for.

So my side next season for us would look something like this:

Howard, Brown, Jags, Heitinga, Baines, N'Zogbia, Barton, Arteta, McGeady, Cahill, Defoe.
Subs: Mucha (if he stays), Neville, Coleman, Rodwell, Osman, Barkley, Saha. With maybe Carew also fighting to get in and a couple of loanees. I think that starting line-up would give us all a bit more belief and energise us for the coming season.

I welcome the responses. I'm only trying to think of what we can do for the season ahead as something needs to change and fast. COYB!

Stephen Leary, Liverpool     Posted 29/06/2011 at 15:14:41

Comments

Dave Lynch
1   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:25:02

LOOK !
Will people stop mentioning Defoe.
He will never come to us in a million years, we haven't got a pot to piss in and could never afford his wages... Let alone his transfer fee. We are never going to sign anyone with a pedigree like his while BB is at the helm. Anyway, he is not a defensive minded player so doesn't fit the Moyes stereotype.
Dave Lynch
2   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:30:18

Ps.
Stop playing football manager.
Paul Dewhurst
3   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:28:53

I think you're right absolutely spot on ..... You will be accused of playing FM.
Steve Pugh
4   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:48:44

.....because you are.
Ray Robinson
5   Posted 29/06/2011 at 19:58:04

Parker and Defoe will probably move within London ? besides, we couldn't afford their wages. And aren't you being a tad optimistic with £2m for Vic? I'd get shut for £200k!

Agree with you on Fellaini though. He'll be off sooner rather than later... he has ideas above his station that lad, in my opinion.

Also agree with Vellios being given a chance. Have only seen glimpses of the guy but there's something there that promises well.
Rob Hollis
6   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:13:23

Whilst I am not comparing the respective talents of the players, anyone who suggests selling Fellaini is as mad as anyone who would have willingly sold....

Rooney
Ferguson
Peter Reid
Southall

all in their prime. Can't understand how anybody would contemplate it.
Al Reddish
7   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:26:40

You are playing footie manager but you are correct in saying the squad needs re energising. You might as well speculate to who we should sign cuz its probably the closest we get to actually seeing a new player this summer
Tom Bowers
8   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:48:19

Stephen you have sure rattled a few cages here. You cannot possibly mention Scott Parker in the same breath as Barton.
Tom Bowers
9   Posted 29/06/2011 at 20:50:28

Sorry I didn't finish my previous response properly. I was going to go on and say I wouldn't take Barton on a free transfer but would rather keep Osman for 3 more years and double his wages.

Seriously we do need a lot more in the midfield department but we don't have the pulling power nor the money. However, bargain deals can be made as Moyes has proved in the past but he (Moyes) may not be convinced he needs to replace any of his favourites.

We have missed out on a few players already and so far Blackpool have received no offer for Charlie Adam. Perhaps Gueye may be ready to make his mark and Fellaini can regain the form he had before his injury.

In the absence of any market moves there will be a lot of ands, ifs, buts and maybes about the existing squad and it may well be Moyes will wait until after the first few games (pre-season or Prem) before he decides. I would certainly disregard any of the media rumours that are getting thrown around.

Sam Hoare
10   Posted 29/06/2011 at 21:16:27

Hmmm...not too sure about your replacements bar Nzogbia. Also not too sure about replacing half the team! Am very sure that Moyes' plans are a bit more conservative.

I'll take selling Billy, Yak and Yobo and bringing in Nzogbia a striker and a loan or two.
Paul Olsen
11   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:14:11

Parker is SO overrated. Turned out season in season out for an underachieving team built around HIM.

Everyone appears to rate him, but then again same thing with Joe Cole until he signed for the redshite. How good is he now, really? Piss-poor, but with a wage to feed an entire african country for years.
Marcus Kendall
12   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:44:46

I agree totally, Paul Olsen, Scott Parker is average at best, he only won that award last season because it's a football writers' one and most of the football writers are either Hammers fans or have no idea about football!

I like Defoe but he'd never fit in with a Moyes system, imagine him as lone striker?
Drew O'Neall
13   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:44:55

Sell:
Arteta
Cahill
Yakubu
Yobo

All too old and still worth something.

Time for a freshen up.
Chris Bannantyne
14   Posted 29/06/2011 at 23:25:40

You've suggested nothing new.

Your replacement ideas are a bit suspect. I'd take N'Zogbia, would leave the others.

If we can get Fellaini to sign a contract extension, then he should certainly be kept. Hate to say it but would be more inclined to sell Arteta or Jagielka.

Defoe will never be on or near the cards, we need to take a punt on a developing striker. Already established (quality) strikers are out of our reach. If they are established and within our budget, then chances are they are a stupid option, I.e. Carew.

I would like to know exactly how much Sturridge would set us back in a) buying price, and b) wages. That kid would be great to make our own.
Anthony Jaras
15   Posted 30/06/2011 at 02:04:47

I stopped reading when you said that we should sell Distin and sign Wes Brown.

I'd take Distin aged 44 rather than have Brown on our books.
Michael Grundy
16   Posted 30/06/2011 at 08:15:42

Where do people keep getting that Aiden Mcgeady is unhappy in Russia?!?!
Derek Thomas
17   Posted 30/06/2011 at 08:21:49

What ever the question is Brown and Barton are not the answer
Dan McKie
18   Posted 30/06/2011 at 08:27:55

Didnt Mcgeady get his wages tripled not long ago by his Russian team, to about 120k a week?? Im pretty sure he is happy over there. Most of the players you mention are all a bit older than the age of player we should be looking to sign. The likes of Barton and Parker would be here for a couple of years, on big money, then worth nothing. We need players in their early 20's with sell on value. Id be happy if we could get the cash together for Shane Long, and try for a young centre half like James Tomkins from West Ham, and if we do have to sell a 'star', then id be for Arteta going whilst we can still get close to double figure millions for him.
Jon Ferguson
19   Posted 30/06/2011 at 08:21:42

There is no way Moyes will, nor do I think he should, take this approach to transfer policy.

We have £2mil for Vaughan. The papers reckon we?ve agreed £4mil for Yobo. If we can get a further £3 -4 mil for Yakubu then we need to spend all this cash on N?Zogbia. He has what we desperately need - pace.

We do desperately need a striker, but I think given an actual run in the team (alongside someone like N?Zogbia who will create space and chances for him) Beckford could be a 14 goal striker. With Saha making some 20 minute cameos and Vellios looking like to get some time on the pitch we have a few options. Not ideal but seeing as we have no pace out wide, this is more pressing.

If we did have some money (and I?m not being gready even), I would take a punt on Jennings from Tranmere or Barrera from West Ham, again both have pace.

I don?t feel we need to sign him as I would want to keep Felliani, but I disagree with the negative comments about Parker. He would run through walls for the clubs he plays for an if he was at us the fans would love him. Surely he must regret choosing Newcastle over us in 2005?
Andrew Ellams
20   Posted 30/06/2011 at 09:26:46

If Moyes does get the money for Yobo, Yak and Vaughan to but N'Zogbia, he would pretty much be a direct replacement for Pienaar which would put us close to exactly the same place we were at the start of last season. Does this we mean have Moyes' best squad ever again and are capable of challenging for the top 4? I don't think so.
Martin Faulkner
21   Posted 30/06/2011 at 11:18:49

7 Million for Billy? you must be mad.
We'll be lucky to get half our money back for that lad.
As for our dire financial plight, we need to look at off loading some of our higher earning under performing players before they end up in the Yakuba price bracket.
We could still get half decent money for our top earner Arteta.
We need to be realistic with player contracts and what we can afford, Davey has tried the "I don't care if we don't buy, as long as I don't lose anyone" line last year and look where it got us. Bumper contracts for his golden boys. Arteta was shit most of the year. Cahill went missing when we needed him most & hasn't been the same since. Billy's always been missing. Jags very up & down (more up than down with ball at feet).
We need to freshen up the squad & bring down the wage bill aswell. Players on 70k a week need to be very special indeed.
We can't keep burying our head in the sand over increasing debt levels.
We need to start to buy & sell to survive, if we sell to a rival prem club then make them pay good money.
David Crowe
22   Posted 30/06/2011 at 14:15:08

You're right in saying we need to shift the dead wood and bring in fresh faces and you're so right in wanting to sell Bily and bring N'Zogbia in but some of those signings will be a step back for the club. McGeady? Really? He's a decent player but won't move us on.

We need to bring in young players in my opinion. Ones that if big teams try to poach them from us a couple of years down the line, we'll get a big sum for them. That's why as I've said a million times: do everything in our power to get Sturridge to the club. I reckon he'll be worth over £25m in a couple of years and a first choice England striker if he keeps his feet on the ground (which Moyes could probably do for him).

Him and N'Zogbia coming in would be the best summer of transfers I can remember and we should let Rodwell go if we have to to make it possible. Add a right winger and a left back and we're there for me. 4 signings, that's all I believe it would take (plus obviously keep hold of Felli, Mikel and Baines).

Simon Smith
23   Posted 30/06/2011 at 15:38:42

So it seems as we now all know that poor old David has not got a pot to piss in and, with no sign of a rich uncle dropping dead in the near future and leaving all his pile to squander away on over-paid charlies, their WAGS and flash cars, that we have to sell to buy. So the big question is... If we do have to sell who would it be?

Would you sell one player, ie, Rodwell or Baines, in the hope of getting £20M plus? Or would you look to trim the squad here and there picking up £3M or so if lucky per player?

For me, I'd like to try and hang on to the likes of Rodwell and Baines but I think I'd be tempted to let Fellaini or Arteta go for the right money. My reason? Both have missed large chunks of the season in past years and we have coped just fine without them.

Chris Keightley
24   Posted 30/06/2011 at 16:52:15

I just don't get the thing about Brown being shit and just about everyone has had a dig; he played 360 games for one of the most sucessfull teams in the world, has more silverware than Buckingham Palace... I would be delighted to see him at GP ? a far better player than Neville who the majority wank over, get real!
Brian Waring
25   Posted 30/06/2011 at 16:49:14

The thing is, David, Sturridge would probably cost £15M now. (The papers are saying Chelsea would be looking for £20m!) And he would come wanting big wages, as would N'Zogbia.
Andy Crooks
26   Posted 30/06/2011 at 20:02:42

Wes Brown is the answer. The question is ... it's time, once more, for Sir Alex to ask his old buddy Moyesy to do him a favour: "I have a couple of over-the-hill duds... which one will you buy?"